• Hike at Diamond Head & Breakfast at Bogart’s

February 18, 2013

I still can’t believe we’re on Hawaii. This is seriously a trip of a lifetime, and I am forever thankful to Oahu’s Visitor Bureau for making it possible. Ahhh! I am so excited for the next few days—we have quite the agenda!

Snack

I woke up around 4:00 AM this morning and could not get back to sleep for the life of me, so I got up and did some blogging in the lobby of the hotel. Around 5:45 AM, I bought a couple of iced coffees and bananas for Mal and me. I was pumped to carpe diem, so I figured iced coffee would make persuading Mal to wake up at that hour a little bit easier. It worked because he wasn’t annoyed at all. I guess he was pretty psyched about getting our day started too! And, ok, his body was still on EST time, it was almost 11:00 AM.

Oahu bananas are big

Workout

Once we got dressed and ready to go, Mal and I drove to Diamond Head, a massive volcanic cone on the coastline of Waikiki. Some quick facts: including the interior and outer slopes, the crater encompasses over 475 acres, and it was formed about 300,000 years ago during an explosive eruption.

We heard Diamond Head gets pretty busy around mid-morning, so Mal and I arrived around 7:00 AM to beat the crowds. It ended up being a great decision because we were able to speed right up to the top. (FYI: The entrance fee to the parking lot at Diamond Head is $5 per car and only cash is accepted.)

IMG_0517

Diamond Head

The hike to the summit was about 0.8 miles. The trail was quite steep at parts, and Mal and I started to break a sweat toward the top.

For the hike, I wore some new workout gear from Reebok:

Let’s talk about the RealFlex Scream 2.0 first since I am totally obsessed with them. I love, love, love the colors and funky design, and they were super comfy during the hike this morning—lightweight and flexible. In addition to my workouts, I’ve also been wearing them as “fashion” sneakers with jeans, like during our travels from Boston to Honolulu. I love them.

The top I wore was the Wide Strap Long Bra, which has wide straps (obviously) and a fairly heavy-duty and supportive built-in bra. I still wore a sports bra underneath, but for a non-impact or low-impact workout, like yoga or barre class, I could probably wear it alone. I wasn’t sure how tough the hike would be today, so I doubled up just in case.

I really love the back of this top!

The PWR Bootcut Pants were really comfortable and flattering. The waistband is wide and hits low on the hips and the bootcut style is slimming to the legs. The material is soft and smooth and moved with me while I hiked up Diamond Head.

Ok, back to our hike!

As you can see, it started to get pretty crowded at Diamond Head as it got later into the morning.

The path is somewhat narrow, but wide enough to pass by people.

There were stairs about half way up and a couple of lighted tunnels to walk through.

Mal and I reached the summit in about 25-30 minutes. There, we saw bunkers and a lighthouse from the top.

The views were stunning!

The descent took a lot less time (probably 15-20 minutes), but it was still quite steep.

Mal and I celebrated a successful hike with some headstands in the park at the bottom of Diamond Head.

Breakfast

After our hike, we headed straight to breakfast at Bogart’s Cafe, which was a quick 5-minute drive away. (We’re going to try the Diamond Head Cove Health Bar tomorrow. It didn’t open until 9:00 AM, but Mal and I were starving at 8:15 AM!)

Bogart’s had an awesome menu of lots of healthy options—there were so many things I wanted to try. I ended up going with the Acai Bowl, which was acai-flavored sorbet with granola and fresh berries and sliced banana with honey drizzled on top. It was so delicious—like dessert for breakfast!

More adventures to come!

Veterinarianess February 18, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Love your bright purple shoes! I have an unfortunate addiction to bright colored running shoes :)

Tina February 19, 2013 at 10:11 am

Me too! :)

honeywhatscooking February 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Looks like so fun, I especially loved your hike, that is an activity I always look forward to.

Cathy February 18, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Love your blog, and I never thought I would like a dog, let alone a pug, but now I really want one! I keep showing my husband posts and pics of Murphy, he’s the bomb!
    I love food and that’s why I exercise, well, for health as well……My family spent many many summers in Waikiki, so I will share some of our favorite food moments.
    Leonard’s Bakery (http://www.leonardshawaii.com/) for Malasadas, Portuguese donuts, OMG, I know you aren’t suppose to have gluten, but maybe Mal can enjoy them. Waiola Shave Ice (525 Kapahulu Avenue, 808-735-8886), crazy flavors and combos, the sweetened condensed milk topping is super. Both are on Kapahulu, 1/2 mile apart. I used to walk there from my Waikiki hotel, a bit of a hike, but good exercise. For restaurants, go to the Ward Warehouse mall area (not Ala Moana mall, touristy and spendy). Most of restaurants are good, but you can’t go wrong with Kakaako Kitchen (http://kakaakokitchen.com/), try the mochiko chicken. Best setting for Hawaiian sunset and atmosphere, cocktails at the Halekulani, although expensive, but you traveled 20 hours from home, worth the splurge. Lastly, my favorite restaurant in Waikiki is the Yard House (http://kakaakokitchen.com/), 2 blocks from the Halekulani. It has tons of healthy and decedent options, and consistent quality, definitely a notch above Cheesecake Factory, which is a mob. Bon Appetite!

Tina February 19, 2013 at 10:09 am

@Cathy: Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health February 19, 2013 at 12:13 am

Looks like a fun time. I love the picture of you and Mal doing handstands!

Tina February 19, 2013 at 10:11 am
    Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills February 19, 2013 at 12:25 am

I love hiking! This looks like so much fun and you had some great views!

Jenny February 19, 2013 at 4:10 am

You’ve got to try the health bar tomorrow. My husband and I have been there twice now on our trips, and they have the most amazing smoothies and smoothie bowls. I dream about their acai bowls, lol! So excited for you guys to experience Oahu!

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me February 19, 2013 at 7:55 am

everything looks fantastic! good for you guys for getting up early and carpe diem-ing! those headstand pictures are fabulous and your breakfast looks delish! have a fantastic trip :)

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio February 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

Wow Tina! What a beautiful hike!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 19, 2013 at 9:16 am

This sounds like the perfect way to start your trip in Hawaii, a beautiful morning hike and a beautiful breakfast. Can’t wait to read more posts!

Katie February 19, 2013 at 9:17 am

Hi Tina! I’m so glad you’re having this chance to visit Oahu. I actually live 5 minutes away from Diamond Head on 21st Avenue! I have frequented Bogart’s and DH Cove many times! But since you’re in the area, I HIGHLY recommend you visit Diamond Head Market & Grill. http://www.diamondheadmarket.com/
    That is my favorite “plate lunch” place. It’s not dirt cheap like most plate lunch, but decent price for the quality. Their Plantation Ice Tea is AWESOME, pineapple juice w/ tea and cinnamon (sometimes I had an actual cinnamon stick in my cup!) I always get it every time. My personal favorite is the teriyaki burger and my boyfriend likes the grilled chicken w/ fruity mustard, but really everything on the menu is good there. Inside has a bunch of precooked takeouts and desserts. OMG the desserts are AMAZING. My family buys desserts from there for birthdays and parties all the time. They’re famous locally for their blueberry cream cheese scones. ;) But there’s not that much seating since it’s a takeout place. There’s Diamond Head lookout about 5 min drive away (on the ocean side of the base of the volcano, it’s hard to miss) where my boyfriend and I eat our lunches if DH Market & Grill is full. Great lunch with a beautiful ocean view!

That’s just my suggestion! I hope you enjoy your trip, there’s so much to do and see. :) Aloha~*

Allison February 19, 2013 at 11:12 am

I was in Hawaii this summer and I did the Diamond Head hike too! It was amazing being there it’s hard to even describe how beautiful that place is. If you all have time you should definitely check out CrossFit Oahu. Have a great trip!

Laura @ RunningJunkie123 February 19, 2013 at 11:32 am

I love that you “celebrated” with headstands. I’m super jealous you can do that!!

I hope you guys have a great time!!

Lindsay February 19, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I love those headstands! And again, gathering so many great ideas for our time in Hawaii, I’m packing our office up now as I type (and am distracted by reading blogs! lol) but you are motivating me today!!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 21, 2013 at 11:44 am

The views are incredible! It looks like the path was packed with people. Love the headstand photo. That breakfast looks right up my alley, yum, yum.