• Exploring Hale’iwa and Waimea Bay & Lunch at Romy’s

February 21, 2013

After some fun at the Dole Plantation, Mal and I continued to drive up to the North Shore of Oahu. Our next stop was Hale’iwa, which is the quintessential beach and surf town. We parked our car and wandered around and explored the adorable boutiques, eateries, and art galleries.

North Shore Bus

Every day is a flip flop kind of day in Oahu.

It's a flip flop kind of day

Snack

We eventually stumbled upon a juice bar, so I popped in to buy a beet, apple, and ginger juice. I was told by one of the employees it was good for digestion. Sweet! And it tasted really good!

Lanikai Juice Hawaii_thumb[1]

Our next stop was Shark’s Cove, which was incredibly beautiful! We also saw a Humpback whale there! It came to the surface of the water and then blew water out of its blowhole. So cool!

IMG_0202 (640x480)_thumb

A short drive later, Mal and I arrived at Waimea Bay, which is one of Oahu’s most famous surf spots.

IMG_0206 (640x480)_thumb

There were some seriously giant waves, so Mal and I sat on the beach and watched the surfers do their thing. We definitely have a new appreciation for the sport after trying it for ourselves the other day!

IMG_0204 (640x480)_thumb

Lunch

A little while later, we found ourselves in Kahuku, which is home to the North Shore’s famous shrimp trucks. As we drove through Kahuku, we saw a bunch of vendors along the road selling shrimp, produce, and fresh pineapple juice. Romy’s Kahuku Prawns and Shrimp came highly recommended, so we stopped there for lunch.

Romy's Oahu_thumb[1]

Romy’s is a family-owned operation that both raises the shrimp and cooks them on-site.

IMG_0209 (640x480)_thumb

IMG_0210 (640x480)_thumb

I ordered the Sweet & Spicy Shrimp, which came with a sweet and spicy sauce and rice on the side. The shrimp was served unpeeled, so I had to do a little work in order to eat my lunch, but I quickly learned the key was peeling all of the shrimp first and then mixing the peeled shrimp with the rice and extra sauce. Delicious! Mal ordered the Butter & Garlic Sauteed Shrimp, which was amazing. I definitely had some food envy while we were eating lunch.

IMG_0216 (640x480)_thumb

Questions of the Day

Have you ever seen a whale?

Do you like shrimp?

Lauren February 21, 2013 at 3:55 pm

So fun! I imagine that shrimp shop is like the one the big guy on Hawaii 5-0 runs. :) I loooove some peel & eat shrimp. You’re right tho – definitely get the peeling over with at the beginning.

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom February 21, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I was gonna ask you if you saw humpbacks when you climbed Diamond Head. I have a degree in Marine Biology and love all things ocean related, but I didn’t get to see any humpies (that’s what I call them) when I was in Hawai’i and it’s still on my bucket list to see a humpie! I have seen orcas (killer whales) in the wild and I’m trained to spot right whales off the coast here in Florida, but I haven’t seen any of those either :(

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio February 21, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Man, I get more and more jealous after reading each post!! What a fun trip!

Fizz @ fizzsbizz February 21, 2013 at 4:09 pm

One time when my husband visited me in Australia (we weren’t married yet) he was surfing up in northern New South Wales and I was watching from the beach.
    A few waves in to his surf session, a HUGE whale started jumping wayyyy out behind him!! It was so exciting!
    I started pointing and gesturing to him to turn around and he just kept waving to me thinking I was just really excited to watch him surf. Needless to say, he missed the whale! Good thing it wasn’t a shark!!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh February 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm

That place is awesome! I will say that’s our biggest pet peeve with shrimp places on all islands is they slather their sauce on peel and eat shrimp then you have to peel it and risk getting it all over you. It’s a small price to pay for deliciousness but enough to keep the Mr away from most of them.

Sadly we’re not in Hawaii when the whales are but we’re going to at some point. If not, we’ll see them when we move to Kauai.

Ruth February 21, 2013 at 4:16 pm

My husband and I just got back from our third visit to Maui. The BEST pineapple is Maui Gold on, naturally, Maui. The. Best. Ever. In February you can see the whales from the beach (we were in Ka’anapali and Lahaina) and we saw a school of dolphins and a couple of turtles. Very cool. Enjoy your visit! Sounds like you are having a great time.

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles February 21, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I was fortunate enough to go on a whale watch out of Gloucester once. Amazing!

The Kidless Kronicles

Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 21, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I went on a Whale Watch once in the Boston area and got SO seasick the entire trip…and didn’t see a single whale! Still haven’t seen one (not that I can remember anyway). Shrimp for lunch sounds delicious!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 21, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I haven’t ever seen a whale! I actually went on a whale watching tour when I was in Boston several years ago, but it was so foggy that we couldn’t see anything! That juice looks seriously amazing, I’m glad you are both really enjoying your trip!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health February 21, 2013 at 4:45 pm

What a cute van! That’s great you got to see a whale too. Trip of a lifetime!
    I have never seen a whale but I plan on checking out the San Fran coast to see some now that I live so close. I used to work for a restaurant and I had to peel shrimp and de-vein them sometimes. I lost my appetite for them after that. :/

Maureen February 21, 2013 at 4:47 pm

So once you’re back home, The Oahu Visitors Bureau is going to give away a trip to one of your readers, right??? A girl can dream! ;-)

Bjorg February 21, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Shrimp is my favorite :) I actually like the peeling, I feel it makes the product even fresher

Seems like you are having a wonderful time, enjoy every moment! :)

Mia February 21, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Heck yeah, LOVE shrimp! My husband will go shrimping with his buddies here in Charleston and then freeze a ton and we eat it all winter long!

I think you should start posting a photo of what Mal orders while y’all are on vacation. It would be awesome to see all the yummy eats & drinks that you are both enjoying! :) Kind of like a his/hers eats.

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well February 21, 2013 at 5:25 pm

No and no :( I’m so picky with my seafood it’s insane. The most “out there” I’ll get is a California Roll. Sad? Yeah. Hawaii sounds so relaxing, I’m jealous! Have you thought about maybe doing a post after you return home about all of your recommendations from your trip?

Babs February 21, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I love seeing wildlife on vacation.

Tina February 21, 2013 at 5:30 pm

You just saw whales while standing on the beach? That’s awesome! I saw them in Alaska and Iceland, but we were actually out whale watching. I LOVE shrimp, but I cannot stand seafood that is unpeeled…I think you were very smart to peel it all first, thus getting the hard work out the way, THEN eat it!

Monica February 21, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I saw whales several times when I lived in CA for about a year. So very cool. Never got old! I LOVE shrimp. I’m from Louisiana so I can peel and eat shrimp and crawfish like there is no tomorrow! Yumola!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time!! I love how your posting along the way!! Makes it feel like we are all there with you!! Enjoy the surf, sun and sand!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic February 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Love the pics! I saw a whale at a whale watch cruise :)

De @ Cooking for the Other Half February 21, 2013 at 6:17 pm

So jealz of your trip right now, as it is freeeezing in my apartment.

I have seen a whale! They are cute.

Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Seeing that humpback must have been so exciting. I saw some killer whales in the wild when I took a summer course up in the Pacific Northwest. It’s definitely a neat experience.

Jeanie February 21, 2013 at 6:53 pm

What a great site!!! I have seen dolphins off the coast of Nantucket, while on a deep see fishing venture with my boyfriend. It is so peaceful watching them in the wild. As far as whales go, I saw a dead (sad I know) sperm whale on the beaches of Chappaquiddick Island as a kid. My family would visit the Vineyard to celebrate the unofficial start to summer, and this year we found the whale. Anyways, even though the whale was dead, I remember being amazed at it’s size!

Nicole February 21, 2013 at 7:07 pm

More beautiful photos! As a kid we did the whale watch in Boston and saw a lot of whales!

Allison February 21, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I LOVE that car. I am so jealous of your life right now.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 21, 2013 at 7:15 pm

That sign at the restaurant is hilarious! Too funny! ;)

Megan February 21, 2013 at 7:22 pm

So glad to see that you’re enjoying your vacation!

Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I love this part of Oahu. Did you get any shaved ice?

Tina February 21, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Not yet. Still need to try it!

Michelle February 22, 2013 at 1:41 am

@Tina: the best place to get it was in Haleiwa at Motsumotos!!!!

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness February 21, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I love seeing the pictures, Oahu is so pretty! Love shrimp, actually love most all seafood!

Sara @ fitcupcaker February 21, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I LOVE shrimp. Besides crap it is my favorite seafood! What a great day!

Pam February 21, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I remember eating lunch at Romy’s with my husband on our honeymoon!! I was going to recommend this place to you but totally forgot the name. This place was recommended to us as well. Romy’s turned me on to shrimp, I wasn’t a big fan before, now I realize it just needs to be made right!
    Looks like you are having an amazing time, love seeing your adventures! Takes me back almost 3 years :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 21, 2013 at 9:18 pm

That picture of the van just brought such a smile to my face. :)

Ryan @ Pause The Moment February 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Did I hear Humpback whale sighting!? So awesome!

Julz February 21, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Hope you packed extra deodorant. It can get hot there!

Corrie @ Blurb Column February 21, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Living in the Pacific Northwest my entire life definitely has some perks…whales being one of them. I’ve seen lots and lots of whales off the coast during their migrations. I’ve also seen orcas in Alaska. Dolphins are a pretty spectacular sight, too. They are so playful!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 22, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I always have wanted to go on a whale watching tour but have never had the opportunity to do so. I have however seen dolphins in the ocean when on vacation in Myrtle Beach.

I don’t eat shrimp anymore, but when I did I sure loved them!