• Dole Plantation

February 21, 2013

Mal and I got moving bright and early yesterday morning. We ate breakfast and then packed up our things for a road trip to the North Shore of Oahu.

Packed Up for North Shore

Right before we left our hotel room, we saw a beautiful rainbow from our balcony. It was a nice way to start the day! I love Oahu.

Oahu Rainbow

About 30-40 minutes into our drive, we came across the Dole Plantation. We didn’t originally have plans to stop there, but since we drove right by, we decided to stop in. Pineapple? Bananas? Sign me up! Plus, I wanted to see the pineapple plantation that the folks at the Dole Healthy Lifestyle Blogger Summit talked about.

Dole Plantation

Our first adventure at the Dole Plantation was going through the huge Pineapple Garden Maze—it’s actually the world’s largest maze! It stretches over 3 acres and includes 2.5 miles of paths created from 14,000 Hawaiian plants. It was cool!

The “game” for the maze is to find 8 secret stations as fast as you can.

When you find each station, you trace a stencil onto your card to show that you reached it.

Mal and I only found a couple of stations before it started raining, but it was still fun wandering through the maze.

IMG_0172 (480x640)IMG_0168 (480x640)

Our next activity at the Dole Plantation was the Pineapple Express Train Tour, which was fun and educational. It lasted about 20 minutes and we learned all about the history of the pineapple and heard the story of James Dole, who pioneered the pineapple industry in Hawaii.

We traveled though the pineapple plantation and saw a variety of other crops, including lychees!

BANANAS!

And, of course, lots and lots of pineapples!

This is going to sound really dumb, but I’m going to say it anyway. I always thought pineapples grew on trees, but they actually grow in a bush on the ground.

Check ‘em out! It takes about 20 months for a pineapple plant to produce a fruit and another 14-15 months to produce a second fruit. Neat, right? I had no idea!

Obviously, we needed to do this after the tour:

IMG_0198 (480x640)IMG_0197 (480x640)

Before we left the Dole Plantation, we stopped into the gift shop and bought a sparkly pineapple Christmas tree ornament and some dried pineapple chunks, which we immediately broke open as soon as we got into the car. They were actually sort of juicy for dried fruit!

Dole Pineapple Chunks

Would you rather eat pineapple or banana?

P.S. Be sure to enter my giveaway to win some Oakley sunglasses!

Raysa Contreras February 21, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I have to say freshly grown Pineapples (Caribbean). Here in America, Bananas.

Emily February 21, 2013 at 4:05 pm

You’re not the only one who didn’t know how pineapples grow! http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/can-you-make-it-through-this-post-with-having-your

Allie February 21, 2013 at 4:17 pm

SOO glad to see you and Mal having such a blast!! :)

I’d easily choose pineapple since it reminds me of summer and the sun

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com February 21, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I totally thought pineapples grew on trees, too! And I’m sooooo jealous of your Christmas ornament.

Lindsey February 21, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Leeches…?

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run February 21, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I thought they grew on trees, too! You learn something new every day :)

Bjorg February 21, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Mm if the pineapple is fresh, I would definitely not walk away from it :)

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet February 21, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I love pineapple, but it makes my tongue hurt! I eat bananas like crazy though. They’re one of the few fruits I have access to at college.

Babs February 21, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Um, I definitely thought they grew on trees too. You learn something new every day ;)

Pineapple > banana

Kelly February 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Dole is not my friend as they support non labeling of GMO’S. They put forth lots of money to stop the law, but it passed anyways. Shame on Dole!

Brianna (senseofsensibility) February 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Maybe pineapple because I don’t eat it every day… but I feel kinda guilty because I love bananas so much! Isn’t that kind of sad?

erin February 21, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I just visited the Dole plantation last summer! I had no idea either how pineapples grew — it was so neat to see them just sticking out of those bushes!

Kaitlyn K. February 21, 2013 at 7:48 pm

That looks like such a fun day! I think in general I’d prefer bananas, but they have to have zero blemishes on them and can’t be browning at all.

Alycia February 21, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I thought pineapples grew on a tree also!

Jennifer February 21, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Haha…I also thought they grew on trees!!!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 21, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Did you try their pineapple puree thing? it’s supposed to be like banana froyo but with pineapple. Anyone I know who’s been just RAVES about it!

…and in the ability to sound REALLY dumb, I don’t think I ever KNEW or THOUGHT about how pineapples grew?! Interesting…

Emily @SinfulNutrition February 21, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I just bought a fresh pineapple last week and it is my serious addiction! I could eat my weight in fresh pineapple. Every time I gorge myself I think, “Damn, I wish I was eating this in Hawaii right now.” Especially if it is knawing a whole pineapple like in one of Kashi’s commercials. I’ll remind you again how jealous I am! = )

Aurielle @ Will2Wellness February 21, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Bananas…I like them with nut butter! Thanks for the fun facts about pineapples–I had no idea either!

Erin N February 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I liked the Sunglasses shop on Facebook!

Jodie February 22, 2013 at 12:01 am

Pineapple is my pick, especially from a tropical location where they are so super sweet & fresh. Love bananas as toppings for my oats.

Korin February 22, 2013 at 12:57 am

I use to live right next to the Dole Plantation in Helemano! Oahu was our first duty station and we lived there for four years! We moved there when our oldest daughter was two months old and left Oahu when our third child was two months old! I love Hawaii!!

tiffany February 22, 2013 at 1:15 am

hehehe…i think you mean lychee, not leeches. :) some family on kauai have lychee trees in their yard and they’re supposed to be kind of a delicacy. delicious!

Michelle February 22, 2013 at 1:35 am

You must go back and get the pineapple ice cream!!!

Erika February 22, 2013 at 4:37 am

I’d definitely rather eat pineapple, although I told myself this year I’d try and add more banana to my diet. It’s weird, I don’t like eating actual bananas, but I will eat banana flavored stuff.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner February 22, 2013 at 7:00 am

There’s nothing better than fresh pineapple in the summer. But bananas win for my oatmeal.

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake February 22, 2013 at 7:31 am

Can you please tell me what color and brand of nail polish you have one!!!? I love it!

Milaniadelacruz February 22, 2013 at 8:09 am

I gre up in the Philippines, pineapples were everywhere! And I love them more than bananas!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 22, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Well since I’m allergic to pineapple I’d have to go with bananas! This looks like so much fun, the maze, the lychee tree, the secret stations! I’d love to go to the Dole Plantation.