• CrossFit 808

February 20, 2013

Mal and I started Day 2 on Oahu bright and early. We were really looking forward to our Workout of the Day, so we popped out of bed to seize the day. (It also helped that our bodies were still on Boston time!)

Snack

We got ready to go and then bought a quick snack at the hotel cafe. I had banana and hard-boiled egg.

Workout

Then, we drove to CrossFit 808 for a workout. I love visiting boxes when I travel!

CrossFit 808 came highly recommended, so we were excited to check it out.

CrossFit 808 is a smaller (size) box and opened two years ago. It actually reminded me a lot of my home box.

The coaching was really great, and I learned a couple of new things yesterday. The class was also well-structured. After a warm-up, we did Front Squats (I worked my way up to 145 pounds) and then we moved onto Cleans (my heaviest was 125 pounds).

And then it was time for the WOD. Did you happen to notice which one it was? Open WOD 12.2. Ugh, such a hard WOD! I was not looking forward to doing it.

When this WOD came up during the Open last year, I didn’t even know how to do a Snatch. I’m still not great at them, but I managed to make it through 64 reps using 45 pounds, 65 pounds, and then 75 pounds. Obviously, I needed to scale down, but I survived 12.2.

Post-WOD:

Breakfast

After CrossFit, we headed to Diamond Head Cove Health Bar for fresh juice. I had a serious craving for some!

I ended up going with the Sunrise, which was celery, apple, ginger, lemon, beet, and carrot.

fresh juice

It was delicious—fresh, refreshing, flavorful, colorful, perfect!

Mal and I enjoyed Bogart’s so much the day before, we decided to go back again for breakfast. This time I ordered Michael’s Scramble, which was eggs with mushrooms, asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese on top and white rice on the side. I was really hungry, and it tasted really good.

More adventures to come from Day 2!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } February 20, 2013 at 10:48 am

That juice and breakfast look delicious! So fun vicariously vacationing through you guys :)

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio February 20, 2013 at 10:56 am

What an awesome breakfast!!! I love that y’all visit boxes when you travel. LOVE!

Kristen @ Change of Pace February 20, 2013 at 10:56 am

That’s so much fun to visit another gym! I love that you are still working out while on vacation. Breakfast looks amazing!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh February 20, 2013 at 11:01 am

Looks like a nice gym! I think I’m gonna make some loco moco this weekend. Those plates of ‘2 scoop rice’ are making me hungry!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run February 20, 2013 at 11:01 am

the juice & breakfast look so tasty!

nice job on the WOD. your strength is super inspiring.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 20, 2013 at 11:03 am

I have a serious craving for some fresh juice right now too! I somehow thing I’d instantly feel super healthy after having some.

Grace @ Grace Dishes February 20, 2013 at 11:06 am

I love that you are staying active on vacation! I haven’t been to Hawaii in years and my boyfriend has never been. Living vicariously through your posts for now :)

Have a wonderful day (I am 100% sure you will!)

Kellie February 20, 2013 at 11:11 am

I like the oakley plaintiffs. Very cute!

Cynthia February 20, 2013 at 11:14 am

I am so glad you are really enjoying Hawaii and taking advantgae of all it has to offer. I hope you have the best trip of a lifetime….enjoy the rest of your stay :) Have a safe trip home.

Ed February 20, 2013 at 11:17 am

A shorts…oh how I miss you. Can not wait to have nice weather here…keep enjoy Hawaii!!

Cortney February 20, 2013 at 11:21 am

Since I teach group ex. back home, one of my favorite things to do when traveling is to pop into a gym or studio and take a class.

So far my favs have been yoga and Zumba one the beach in Aruba and aero yoga in Texas1

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well February 20, 2013 at 11:24 am

I love reading all your recaps! Juice! :)

Heidi February 20, 2013 at 11:30 am

Crossfitting even while on vacation in Hawaii?! Girl, you are the bomb!

Becky @ Olives n Wine February 20, 2013 at 11:51 am

FUN! I’m visiting Chicago soon and am going to start looking for a box to workout in while I’m there. I love reading your recaps of Hawaii!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 20, 2013 at 11:54 am

That juice does look amazing. And that sounds really cool to check out Boxes whenever you travel, I do the same with Whole Foods, haha! I have been to a few different Jazzercise locations, which is always fun.

Zoe February 20, 2013 at 11:58 am

So impressed with your fitness dedication even on vacay!

Sarah @PickyRunner February 20, 2013 at 11:59 am

I feel like taking classes directly ON the beach would be fun. I don’t want to miss out on vacation when I’m working out but I don’t want to forgo all exercise plans either. Either way, I’m glad you’re enjoying the experience and all that Hawaii has to offer.

rebecca @ blueberry smiles February 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Yum! Both your omelet and juice look fantastic

Annette@FitnessPerks February 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Oh that juice does look so colorful & tasty!!!

janetha February 20, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Random tidbit.. I have watched a few of Crossfit 808’s YouTube vids before! I recognized the photos you posted from the videos! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_c7Vigo-10

Funny since you said it’s a smaller place! Glad you are having fun.

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness February 20, 2013 at 12:16 pm

How fun to check out a different crossfit. Next time I travel I’ll have to visit one for a wod. It’s funny but 12.2 was actually my favorite open workout last year. I’m hoping for a repeat this year ;)

Michelle@sugarplumcupcake.com February 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I’m going to try my first crossfit class this week while on mid-winter break from school…have a feeling I’m going to be HOOKED! It’s been awhile since I’ve been to Hawaii, but your pictures are bringing back such wonderful memories of Waikiki Beach! I Loved it and I LOVE reading your posts everyday and seeing what pics you’re going to post. Keep em comin! Have fun!

susan February 20, 2013 at 12:25 pm

We visited Oahu a few summers ago and stayed on the north shore!
    Be sure to take a day and head that way, very cool vibe!
    Make sure you get some Shave Ice!!! soooo yummy! Matsumoto’s in Haleiwa has a following, but there are better, small shops!
    The 2 regrets we had from our trip were that we didn’t try a sushi spot, and we didn’t hit a luau! We heard the best one was put on by the travel and tourism group. If you can, hit up the Aloha Flea Market for good deals, and good coconut water! My husband snuck into the Rainbow Warrior’s stadium for a photo op!
    Have a great trip!!! Love the pics!

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit February 20, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Isn’t it fun to checkout new workout places when you travel? I always look for a fun class or gym out of town. Looks like you both are having a blast!

Haley @ fullnfit February 20, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Nice work on the snatches. Those are not fun! Keep enjoying Hawaii!

Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Thats so awesome you guys had fun visiting a new box…I always feel like Im crazy for visiting gyms when I travel, but I can’t help it. And its always so much fun to try something new!!!

Lindsey February 20, 2013 at 2:12 pm
    Mary Slagel@Healthy Food Newsletter February 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm

You seem to like to travel like I do. I love getting up early and heading out to make the most of the day. And I love sticking with my exercise schedule while trying new things. That is awesome you were able to find a place for crossfit down there and your breakfast looked amazing! I would have gone back too!

Kristin February 20, 2013 at 3:02 pm

How much/what type of cardio do you do each week? You are so muscular and lean! I have been doing cardio 7 days a week but I’ve noticed that it has broken down my muscle tone. Any thoughts?

Tina February 20, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I hardly do any cardio besides what I do in CrossFit.

Niven Singh February 20, 2013 at 3:24 pm

That’s awesome that you guys sought our a box in Hawaii! I would have never thought to look for a local gym/activity other than hiking or surfing. I’m heading out to Hawaii tentatively in June – I think an on the beach yoga class might be in order.

Have a blast and love the posts!

-Niven

JenS February 20, 2013 at 3:35 pm

So glad to see you are enjoying yourselves. I just love HI and it has a special place in my heart, just seeing the “808” makes me smile! Enjoy it! :)

Shel@PeachyPalate February 20, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Juices sound so good! I totally would have been caught between the bee pollen one and the green monster esk juice!

Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 20, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I love figuring out new places to work out when I travel. Since my primary sport is running, I always love checking out new running routes and enjoying new scenery. Those juices look amazing! Perfect way to refuel after a hard workout. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Babs February 20, 2013 at 4:50 pm

It’s awesome that you found time (and motivation) to do Crossfit on vacation.

Melisa February 20, 2013 at 5:20 pm

The juice looks delish. Considering xfit. You’re a fab spokeswoman.

sara @ fitcupcaker February 20, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I want to live there!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail February 20, 2013 at 6:25 pm

So glad you got to hit up a CrossFit box while in Hawaii! Looks like you haven’t skipped a beat with travel! Nice WOD!!

Krista February 20, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Ah I finally got myself to my first crossfit last night! I am sore sore sore! I want to go back tomorrow but not sure if I’m still going to be sore and if I should go with muscle soreness or not?? Thank you for convincing me to go with through sharing your love for it and the info on how it changes your body image
    -K

Valerie B. February 20, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I liked them on FB. :)

Valerie B. February 20, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I liked the Jackie Oh Shiny ones. :)

Ashlee February 20, 2013 at 10:03 pm

You just gave me a litte flashback of my Oahu trip! I remember always being served white rice with breakfast and thinking it was so weird!! But then…I loved it. So funny!

Alyssa February 21, 2013 at 8:52 am

Don’t you love how everything in HI is served with Rice?? We loved the Asian influence over there, since most Asian cuisine is naturally GF ;-)

Christine F. February 21, 2013 at 11:21 am

The Ray-Ban Jackie Ohh sunglasses are so adorable! So glad you and Mal are having a great time! Murphy can’t wait for his treats!!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 21, 2013 at 11:57 am

I think it’s awesome that you are doing CrossFit in Hawaii, how cool is that? How do you find places like that? I’d love to try it, but as a triathlete, I don’t know how much time I have to focus on it and balance it with the amounth of cardio I do.

MegG February 22, 2013 at 1:42 am

My best friend used to live on Oahu because her husband is in the military, perfect excuse for me to go visit Hawaii. I dropped in at 808 twice and met and was coached by Elyse Umeda the owner. Did you know she WON the Nor Cal regionals in 2011? You would never know it because she so humble and sweet! Very cool that you guys dropped in there too, I’m still friends with some of the athletes there!

Mags @ From the Mind of Mags February 22, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Oh that juice looks fabulous!

Glad to see you guys are having fun!

xoxo