• Cabin Fever Workout

February 10, 2013

I was definitely starting to feel the cabin fever this morning. I felt restless, sort of cranky, and even a bit claustrophobic being all cooped up in the house for the past 24+ hours. When I realized our box was holding Open Gym today, I immediately got dressed and ready to go. I needed to get out of the house in a bad way!

081

The roads in our neighborhood are still pretty messy, so Mal and I needed to do a little more shoveling to get his car out this morning.

082

This time, I borrowed a shovel from our neighbors so I could help him. After what Mal went through yesterday, I’m pretty sure I’m on snow-shoveling duty for the rest of the winter.

084

Nothing could keep us away from CrossFit this morning!

086

And we weren’t the only crazy ones who ventured out today. There was at least a dozen people at Open Gym.

090

Workout

There was a group of us at Open Gym who felt like doing a Metcon, so we made up a workout and did it together:

EMOM 10

5 Wallballs
    5 Pull-ups

I’ve been working on my Toes-to-Bar lately (I actually did some in a workout out on Friday), so I alternated between pull-ups and Toes-to-Bar for our WOD. I didn’t think 5 reps of each would be tough, but the last few rounds were really exhausting. Mal also did this workout, but he decided to do 10 reps of each exercise. Um, yea. He’s an animal.

If you’re feeling a bit of cabin fever today or you just want to do a quickie 10-minute workout, here’s a fun one for you. Just set a timer for 10 minutes and then do 7 Burpees followed by 5 push-ups for every minute on the minute.

Cabin_Fever_

After CrossFit, Mal and I went to buy a couple of new shovels since our only one is broken. Sadly, everyone else (and their mother) had this same idea, so we were out of luck.

092

Then, we went grocery shopping for the week. Most people probably stocked up on food before the storm, but Mal and I did this after the storm. Clearly, we were not prepared for this storm.

093

This week’s haul:

095

This week’s meal plan:

Lunch

After CrossFit and shopping, I was pretty hungry, so I threw together a quick lunch: canned tuna mixed with grainy mustard.

099

And homemade avocado (garlic, garlic powder, lime juice, salt, and pepper) with brown rice crackers and baby carrots.

100

Delicious lunch!

097

Did you happen to notice the package of Chips Ahoy Chewy Cookies in my grocery photo above? Well, that’s what happens when I go shopping with Mal. He’s like a kid trying to sneak junk food into our cart. Anyway, I love Chips Ahoy Chewy Cookies too, so I ate one after lunch. I expected a delicious, soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie, but I was shocked and disappointed after taking my first bite. It tasted horrible, which definitely says something because I pretty much like all cookies. I don’t know what happened!?! Chips Ahoy Chewy used to be my favorite packaged cookie ever. Mal agreed they didn’t taste as good as they normally do, so maybe Nabisco changed their recipe? They weren’t nearly as soft and sweet as I remember. Ugh. It was such a bummer.

102

Questions of the Day

What’s your favorite kind of packaged cookies?

Are you claustrophobic at all? Do you have any phobias?

Vicky February 10, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Nutter Butternut peanut butter sandwich cookies! :)

I wouldn’t say I’m claustrophobic until I had to have an MRI a few weeks ago. I ended up having it in an “open” MRI, and using an eye mask so I couldn’t open my eyes. I think that helped, plus they have a panic button I could hold onto. I hope I never have to do that again!

Monica February 10, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Since you eat a lot cleaner and consume more whole, natural foods than you did when you were a kid, your taste buds have probably just adjusted to real food tasting good – like dates, ripened bananas and other naturally sweet yummy foods!

Michelle February 10, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I totally got cabin fever 2! Entenmanns mini soft choc chip cookies are good:-)

Sally C February 10, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I can very much relate to your cabin fever. We had a storm go through Brisbane two weeks ago and we were stuck inside for 3 days, with two toddlers. We all got cabin fever but our garden was like a lake so no choice but to wait it out. I hope you feel better getting out and about, the snow looks beautiful to me.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run February 10, 2013 at 10:12 pm

yes, i’m definitely claustrophobic. i don’t think i’d like being snowed in very much, but it would be a good time to do some baking :)

props to you & mal for digging your way to CF.

by the way, i started meal planning this week – you’ve certainly been an inspiration.

Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 10, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Glad you got out of the house and did a workout! That always makes me feel a million times better.

I think one of my phobias is getting snowed in. Im single and life by myself, and am totally ok with it 99.9% of the time….except when I think I might be stuck alone for several days at a time! YIKES.

Khushboo February 10, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I don’t know about Chips Ahoy but Nabisco better not mess around with their Oreo recipe!!

Katie @ skinnyminniemoves February 10, 2013 at 10:26 pm

i am so claustrophobic! I freak out in stores that have clutter in the aisles.. ugh

I’m not big on packaged cookies, EXCEPT Baltimore’s finest BERGER cookies… oh boy. heaven!

Steph February 10, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Oreos. Hands down! Totally claustrophobic. I need an escape route at all times! lol

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles February 11, 2013 at 1:35 am

I had a chips ahoy last year and felt the same way! I kinda wonder if it’s because we’re used to cookies made with “real” ingredients so these fake chemicaly ones just taste awful to us now

meredith February 11, 2013 at 5:17 am

I am in New York and certainly had cabin fever. We got out yesterday only to hear the schools are closed today. Ugh. At least we can get out of the house though, the roads are really ok…as for packaged cookies, they aren’t the same as they used to be. I haven’t had one in a while but the last time I tried something, it just wasn’t the same at all. So not worth it. Maybe it is our taste buds. I’m a baker of cookies and delicious treats so perhaps it is the fresh ingredients vs. the packed products that contain so many added preservatives to maintain their freshness.

Kelly February 11, 2013 at 6:49 am

My favorite packaged cookies are the arrowroot gingersnap cookies. So good! Although the packaged chocolate chip chewy ones are delicious too. Do you remember the Keebler Magic Middle cookies? Now…those rocked!

Tina February 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

@Kelly: Those were awesome!!

Suzanne February 11, 2013 at 7:09 am

After being stuck indoors, I too escaped to the gym, felt good as my at home workouts usually leave me feeling like I could have done more. I grew up on Chips Ahoy and Nutter Butters, I still like to browse the cookie aisle and once and a while will give in and buy Oreos for the family!

Connie @ Livin' Lean February 11, 2013 at 7:39 am

I used to love Chewy Chips Ahoy cookies!! I haven’t had them in so long though..I can’t believe they don’t taste good anymore!

Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick February 11, 2013 at 8:08 am

Those are usually my favorite packaged cookies too. I’m upset that they let you down. I almost picked up a package the other day, but fought against it. Glad I got my chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream instead

Ashlee February 11, 2013 at 8:25 am

Keebler’s original elf cookies!! Hands Down! Dipped in a little peanut butter, pure gold right there!

Tara February 11, 2013 at 8:49 am

I wish I could have made it to they gym yesterday! I am sore from shoveling, so that was a workout, and then cleaning and doing laundry while my husband finished.
    We ventured out yesterday, decided to get a marylous and hit the SSP. Braintree lost power earlier in the morning (didnt know this) so we got to the SSP and just as we got in, they decided to close the mall due to no power.
    So then we ventured to Legacy Place, did a little shopping and hit up The Yard House. It.Was.Mobbed! I guess everyone had cabin fever!!

Tina February 11, 2013 at 11:19 am

I love the Yard House! And their truffle fries! :)

Meghan@themeghamix February 11, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I’m so jealous! Usually we only get a little snow every winter…and this year we haven’t really gotten any! :( I LOVE getting snowed in but my poor husband gets claustrophobic.

Morgan@Healthy Food Newsletter February 11, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I’m so happy I live in Florida, I wouldn’t be able to survive in a snow storm! And spaghetti squash is my new obsession, cook it and throw in some veggies with a little bit of olive oil and seasoning is an easy and light meal to throw together!

melisa February 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I dream about Girl scout cookies – thin mints. Bliss.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop February 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Glad you handled the storm ok! We just got lots of rain which turned to ice so I don’t know which is worse. LoL.

And my favorite cookies are probably oreos. I can eat the whole package, which is why I’m not allowed to buy them EVER!
    ~Ang

Alyssa February 11, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I used to looove Pecan Sandies!! I haven’t had packaged cookies in years (since being diagnosed with Celiac disease), but those were my go-to cookies :-)

Bummer on your Ahoy situation :-(

Tina February 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm

@Alyssa: Oh my gosh, I haven’t thought about Pecan Sandies in years! My mom loves them! I did too!

Megan February 11, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I only liked the chewy cookies if I warmed them up in the microwave first.

Tina February 11, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Mmm!

Mishy February 11, 2013 at 5:54 pm

biscoff cookies, they usually give them out on flights. they never give enough, i always have to ask for one more pkg. recently, i was delighted when i found them at my local grocey store… then i bought too many and got sick of them and now hope they don’t give me any on my flight to Hawaii in two weeks. heehee

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance February 11, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I prefer to make my own cookies, especially because most cookies aren’t vegan. The upside to them tasting awful is that you won’t eat them! haha!

Jolie February 12, 2013 at 12:43 am

I never liked the Nabisco Chocolate Chip Chewy cookies; however ever since meeting my fiancee, I have been a fan of Oreo Doublestuff Cookies (regular and chocolate). That’s his favorite. That’s all we buy these days! If I were by myself I’d bake my own batch from time to time.

Katy February 12, 2013 at 9:13 pm