• 4 Documentaries I Really Liked

February 12, 2013

Good morning!

I started yesterday morning with a glass of bright green juice. In the mix: kale, spinach, apple, celery, cabbage, and carrot. Deeeelicious!

Juice_me!

Since we’re on the topic of juice, I thought I’d mention Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. A bunch of you guys left comments about it yesterday and it was one of the reasons that I decided to give juicing a try. If you haven’t seen this film and you’re thinking about this juicing stuff, I definitely recommend checking it out.

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead

Joe Cross, who starred in and made the documentary, was suffering from an autoimmune disease. He was taking a ton of steroids that weren’t really working and he was basically at the end of his rope, so he decided to start juicing as a way to regain his health. It’s definitely an inspiring story about taking control of one’s health.

fat-sick-and-nearly-daed
    [image source]

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead is just one documentary that I really liked. Here are a few more of my favorites!

Food, Inc.

You guys probably already know about Food, Inc., right? If not, please watch it. It will change the way you eat (and how you see Perdue chicken).

food-inc-poster
    [image source]

The World’s Most Dangerous Drug (Meth)

I don’t know how Mal and I ended up watching this documentary (I guess we were curious after watching so many episodes of Breaking Bad), but this film totally blew our minds. Meth is one crazy-ass drug.

194MostDangerousDrugTop
    [image source]

The King of Kong

I’ve talked about this documentary on CNC in the past, and I always end up recommending it to friends for a good laugh and some serious “drama.” If you share my sense of humor (weird and geeky), you’ll definitely get a kick of out it!

king of kong
    [image source]

Workout

After drinking my green juice, I headed to CrossFit for a workout. I always like to eat something before I exercise, but I didn’t have time yesterday morning. Plus, eating right before a CrossFit workout is kind of awful. I ate a bunch of guacamole before a workout last week, and I totally thought I was going to barf it up a few times.

STRENGTH

Deadlift
    10 X 1
    All sets at 90% of 1RM

METCON

“Nemo”
    3 RFT:

6 Power Cleans
    12 Lateral Burpees
    Rx: (155, 105)
    L3: (135, 95)
    L2: (95, 65)
    L1: (65, 35)

After a warm-up, I worked with Kerrie on the Strength part of the workout, which was Deadlifts. We worked our way up to 215, but after a few reps, my form started to suffer, so I took off some weight and used 195 pounds for the rest of the reps.

For the WOD, I used 85 pounds for the Power Cleans and finished in 3:01, which was one second faster than my friend Kerrie. The two of us were racing to the finish on the last round of Burpees, and I managed to do my 12th one and stand-up right before she finished. I rarely ever beat Kerrie in a WOD, so it was definitely a little victory for me! And, of course, I wouldn’t have gone as hard if Kerrie wasn’t right next to me going balls to the wall trying to beat me, so she’s definitely my favorite competitor.

Breakfast

After I got home from CrossFit, I was starving, so I immediately reheated some roasted sweet potatoes and cooked up some chicken sausage for breakfast.

lunch sweet potatoes and chicken sausage

I also drank a glass of Dandy Blend with canned coconut milk mixed in.

017

Lunch

A few hours later, I started to get hungry again, so I reheated half of a sweet potato and topped it with Greek yogurt and bacon. On the side, I had some kale sautéed in coconut oil with a little salt and pepper sprinkled on top.

002

Dinner

For dinner, I made Chicken Bacon Alfredo, which was frickin’ amazing. The recipes on PaleOMG are incredible and, of course, you don’t need to eat a Paleo diet to enjoy them. They’re just healthy, delicious recipes.

I de-Paleo-fied (obviously, that’s a word) last night’s meal by adding 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan to the sauce, which made it, oh, so cheesy. HUGE fan of this recipe. Definitely a keeper!

002

For dessert, Mal and I plowed through another bar of chocolate. Those Vosges people definitely know how to make some tasty chocolate!

021

Health News & Views

When I’m hungry, I’m more likely to reach for quick, easy foods in my kitchen, which are not always the healthiest. I’ve learned though, that with a little strategic organization and stocking of my refrigerator, I’m more likely to reach for nutritious choices. Here are my go-to tips for giving your fridge a healthy makeover!

How to Give Your Fridge a Healthy Makeover

Questions of the Day

Do you ever watch documentaries? If so, which ones have you really liked?

P.S. For the pug people—One of my Twitter friends tweeted this to me last night, and I thought it was so adorable: Pug Palette.

Eating 4 Balance February 12, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I’ve been meaning to watch Food, Inc. for a while, but haven’t. I also really really really want to watch King Corn, as I’ve heard that is just amazing and very similar to The Omnivore’s Dilemma. I also want to see Food Matters, and Freakonomics (because I read the book of that too).

The documentaries I have seen: Forks Over Knives– It was very good, but also very one-sided in support of veganism. Supersize Me– good, but hard on the stomach :) The Greatest Movie Ever Sold– Again, really good. Made by Morgan Spurlock who also made Supersize Me.

Heather February 12, 2013 at 12:45 pm

You should really check out http://www.filmsforaction.org for many free documentaries. I found Hungry for Change on there and it is similar to Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead – I’m sure you’d like it!

Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny February 12, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I’ve seen the first 2, and about a million other “real food” documentaries. Once you start, you can’t stop! I’d highly recommend the Planet Earth series, but watch the British Version, it’s very touching and educational. I recently watched Restrepo, which follows an outpost named after a soldier who was KIA in the Korrengal Valley (deadliest part of Afghanistan) and I found it incredible. It’s somewhat difficult to watch and not all that appealing to anyone not dealing with the military lifestyle, but my fiancee found it incredibly realistic and eye opening. Definitely something people should watch to become more educated about the war.

Sarah Elizabeth February 12, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Cute headband! Which Bic Bands pattern is that?

Julie / Bound February 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Oh man, that chocolate looks amazing! I’ve heard a lot about Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and Food Inc, but I’m not sure I could stomach either of them.

Jen February 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I am loving reading everyone’s recs for documentaries! I love to watch them. I just watched Hungry for Change and enjoyed it and I have Fresh: New Thinking About What We’re Eating that I am going to try and watch this week. It has Joel Salatin in it and my husband and I are a little obsessed with him. :)

Rachel February 12, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I love documentaries so I was happy to see all the recommendations! I really liked the documentary “First Position” about a child’s (age 9-17) ballerina/dance competition. I also recommend “Ai WeiWei” about a Chinese artist and social commentator. It’s a great look into his art but also into China’s control of media. TEDtalks are also really interesting–you can scan topics to see which ones are interesting to you. On Netflix they have a grouping of comedic TEDtalks which are really funny and also interesting/thought-provoking.

TC February 12, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Jiro Dreams of Sushi!

Danielle @ Food-Dee.com February 12, 2013 at 2:02 pm

My fave!!! Saw it in the theater and loved it!@TC:

Angela February 12, 2013 at 6:54 pm

@Danielle @ Food-Dee.com: Agreed, this was great.

ashleyC February 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm

If you’re looking for an ineresting documentary, I recommend “Jiro Dreams of Sushi.”

Kerrie February 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm

T my back achessss!! Im a Doc-o-saurous!!! I love food for thought docs..Hungry for Change and some disturbing ones, like the West Memphis 3 and There’s Something Wrong with Aunt Dianne. Ps. That chicken squash dish looks fantabulous and your my fave competitor too:) Don’t get used to beating me:/

Tina February 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Haha! Victory tasted so sweet yesterday!

Definitely make the Chicken Bacon Alfredo. It’ll knock your socks off!

sherice@foodieluvsfitness February 13, 2013 at 1:47 pm

@Kerrie: West Memphis 3 is so sad.. and so wrong.. It was very apparent to me that that they were so wrongly accused. I don’t want to give to much away for those that want to watch. Did you know that Damon Echols is finally free?

Molly February 12, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Thank you so much for the documentaries post! I loved ALL the ones you listed (aside from the last one which is still on my list to watch).

Some recent favorites I have seen:
    Word Wars (especially good for anyone who enjoys playing Scrabble)
    Make Believe (VERY entertaining)

Tina February 12, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I bet I’d love the Scrabble one. I {heart} Words With Friends!

sherice@foodieluvsfitness February 13, 2013 at 1:49 pm

@Tina: you should check out ruzzle.. it’s addicting and so fun! my sis and I can’t stop playing. if you do, hit me up. my name is shericep :)

Tina February 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll check it out!

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life February 12, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I actually just watched a documentary this past weekend called “Hungry for Change.” It was about so-called “diet” foods, and how they end up doing much more damage to our bodies than they do good. It was very, very interesting, and the guy from “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead” was in it. You should check it out!

Katie @ Balanced RD February 12, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I really liked Food Inc. It was definitely an eye-opener! I need to watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead…I keep meaning to and haven’t gotten around to it. I just got a juicer this year for Christmas and love it. I have not been juicing as often as I should so that documentary would probably be a good motivator :)

Margie February 12, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Check out Earthlings. It was life changing!

Johnna February 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm

@Margie: I couldn’t make it through Earthlings. I’ve never cried so much in my life! Sure made me happy that I’m vegan, though.

Danielle @ Food-Dee.com February 12, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I have to second (or third) the Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Saw it in the theater and thought I would hate it (not a fan of subtitles) but it’s really good.

Haley @ fullnfit February 12, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Food, Inc. was a very well-done movie.. Difficult to watch at times, but good nonetheless!

Erin February 12, 2013 at 2:11 pm

So the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly dead…..what was he eating like before he started juicing? People get on these kicks about how juicing or whatever is the newest best thing to do, but maybe all he needed to do was go from not eating healthy to eating healthy, which I do agree juicing is very healthy and beneficial. I think sometimes people get mislead with things like these….does that make sense?

Brittany @ Kitchen::Candid February 12, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I wish I could remember the name of the documentary but it’s set in France. They are trying to change the local schools to go organic. Very interesting and very much worth watching.

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom February 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Food, Inc. made me bawl my eyes out.. as did Vegucated. Both solidified my stance on being vegetarian. I know that there are a lot of biased opinions in both films, but I thought both were interesting. I also watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and thought it was very interesting, but I don’t think it’s a sustainable lifestyle to just live off of juice. But, I think it probably opened up the eyes of all who watched it.

Catherine February 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Monster Camp! It’s about the wonderful world of Live Action Role-Playing (LARP-ing). Literally, one of the most hilarious documentaries I’ve ever seen.

Kelsey@DriveThrusAreForLazyPeople February 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Food, Inc. certainly changed my perspective on eating non-organic meats/dairy…

If we eat food in which the animal has suffered (regular meat/dairy), we too will directly feel these emotions as well – the old phrase “you are what you eat”

Erin February 12, 2013 at 3:24 pm

1. Your chicken bacon alfredo looks delicious! I just made some spaghetti squash last night and am rather inspired to give this a whirl sometime this week :)

2. I’m really intrigued by the documentary on meth! My husband and I have been watching a hefty share of Breaking Bad on Netflix. Maybe these Netflix documentaries will need to go into our cue…

3. I like to think that I follow your “Think outside the box” tip quite well – my lack of desire to actually buy random ingredients I don’t already own and my lack of motivation to try out new cooking techniques encourages me to really explore more simplified options and substitutions, and usually I’m quite pleased with the results :) However, I’m awful at motivating myself to prep food/snacks/meals for the upcoming week :/

Caitlin February 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I just watched “Food Matters” over the weekend and it was absolutely fascinating. It talked a lot about the healing properties of food and vitamins (ex: a boatload of vitamin C given through an IV can be just as effective as chemo for healing cancer, only not as damaging to your body!) I highly recommend watching it.

Also, I notice that whenever I have green juice in the morning, I feel great but get super hungry super fast…maybe because of the lack of the fat/protein in them?

Tina February 12, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Actually, Mal and I were saying just the opposite– that all if the nutrients seem to satisfy us more and for a longer amount of time, but we also drink juice in addition to eating breakfast. Maybe it’s the combo of food and extra nutrients?

Rosamund February 12, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days is an amazing doco. It follows 6 Americans with severe diabetes who are given a healthy, mostly raw diet to follow for one month. The results are so amazing, especially given the short amount of time that they were on the diet. It is one of those movies that really has an impact on how important food is for our health and life, really makes you re-think the Western medical system as well.

Jenny@thewellnessjourney February 12, 2013 at 4:15 pm

LOVED the Pug Palette. My little Rango is a black pug, so we don’t have all the colors. But he’s still adorable! <3

A documentary I enjoyed, but was scary and sad too was Gasland. It's near and dear to me because I live in PA, and they're in this fracking craze right now. I'm sorry, but I don't want to be able to light my water on fire!

Tina February 12, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Devil’s Playground (It’s about Amish people on Rumspringer, and it’s amazing!), Afghan Star (the ‘American Idol’ of Afghanistan), and Be Like Others (about gays in Iran – they can live their lifestyle if they get gender reassignment surgery, and the government pays for it – it’s actually very sad). I LOVE documentaries.

Tina February 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm

All of those sound really interesting! Thank you for mentioning them!!

sherice@foodieluvsfitness February 12, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Food Inc and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead were both great! I also Liked Forks over knives.. which I think any Documentary about a certain subject is going to be biased but the proof (for me) is in the research! I also liked Vegucated, Food Matters, & Farmaggedon. I’ve been on the fence for about a yr about eliminating meat and dairy from my diet and I’m on day 5. For me it’s the right thing!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 12, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I want to start watching more documentaries! I have seen Food Inc though and loved it. Along with Michael Pollan’s books, it really influenced my outlook on food.

Megan February 12, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I just watched the documentary called “Fat Head” and loved it! The basic premise behind the documentary is about low carb eating and I found that it only strengthened my thoughts about what really is good for us and what is not. I highly recommend watching it.

Alyssa February 12, 2013 at 10:14 pm

You’ve got to try the bacon chocolate bar…you haven’t lived until you’ve eaten bacon chocolate!!

I watched Religulous with Bill Maher…hilarious and also a bit scary how extreme some of this stuff can get!

Tina February 13, 2013 at 6:21 am

I agree, need to try bacon chocolate!! :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 12, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Food, Inc. is a GREAT documentary. I also really loved Forks Over Knives. I highly encourage everyone to watch it!

Sara Kolpek February 13, 2013 at 9:20 am

Thanks for this post! I have been thinking about getting a juicer for a long time, and finally went to BB&Beyond last night and got the Breville juicer. I think I’m going to do a three-day detox this weekend following Joe Cross’s plan. Have you ever done a detox? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Tina February 13, 2013 at 9:48 am

I’ve never done a detox. I actually don’t have much interest in doing one. I just really like to eat! :)

Marina February 13, 2013 at 11:32 am

Hi Tina!

I’ve been a reader for several years! If you enjoy documentaries, check out this doc about the Penn State Dance MaraTHON, the world’s largest student run philanthropy. The full documentary is on youtube and is an hour long. I am a student at Penn State and involved in THON, so I figured I would share it with you since you posted about documentaries today, it is really neat.

For The Kids!
    Marina

Tina February 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Cool! Thanks for the link! :)

Sara February 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I love Spirit of the Marathon — it’s really inspiring and I’ll probably watch it again soon to get pumped for my next race. It’s on Netflix!

Tina February 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I love that one too! :)

Kelly@BalancedDaily February 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm

You finished that workout in 3:01?! Um, I would love to watch you and your friend Kerrie do a WOD, especially with lateral burpees- you probably go nuts! I’ve seen Food, INC. before and it definitely changed the way I thought about a lot of things. Also, all of the ones with the guy from Supersize Me are pretty interesting.

Katie February 13, 2013 at 10:33 pm

My husband and I love documentaries! We watch them all the time on Netflix. Three of my favorites are:
    1. Jiro: Dreams of Sushi
    2. Fat Head
    3. Fresh

All are excellent watches and super intriguing!

Thanks for sharing your favorites, I’ll have to check them out,
    Katie

Julia February 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm

This isn’t a documentary but a super interesting and EYE-OPENING video you might enjoy.

Cristen April 28, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Waiting for Superman..didn’t see that on mentioned, another eye-opener!