• What’s In My Gym Bag

January 30, 2013

After lunch yesterday, I got ready to go to the gym. I put on my workout gear and then packed up my gym bag because I planned to take a shower at the gym before my doctor’s appointment. While I was packing, I thought it might be fun to show you guys what’s in my gym bag.

what's_in_my_gym_bag_

Murphy_doesn't_care

Here’s what’s in my gym bag:

inside_my_gym_bag

1. Lug Life Cartwheel Overnight/Gym Bag: This is the best gym (and overnight) bag ever. It has a zillion pockets and compartments to keep everything organized and separated (i.e. dirty, sweaty clothes or wet flip flops separate from your clean clothes/magazines/gadgets).
    2. Flip flops for the shower: I bought these flip flops at Target many years ago, but they’re still the best shower shoes I’ve ever owned. The bottoms are grooved, so they don’t get slippery on wet floors.
    3. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub: Best face wash ever. After the gym, I use it on my face and body in the shower to prevent breakouts.
    4. BIC Band and extra hair elastics: I can’t stand to have my hair on my face when I exercise, so I packed an extra BIC Band and elastics just in case I ever forget. I’m a weirdo and would probably skip a workout if I didn’t have something to hold my hair back.
    5. My favorite treadmill workout ever: I cut this 45-minute treadmill workout out of a magazine and laminated it 5+ years ago, and I’ve probably done it close to 100 times, but I still love it!
    6. BlueBud X Bluetooth Headphones: These things are the bomb and so great for gym workouts!
    7. Small towel: I used to pack a regular size bath towel in my gym bag, but it always took up so much room, so I downsized to a smaller towel. I just bring my clothes into the shower stall and use the small towel to dry off before I get dressed.
    8. Combination lock: I need to make sure my things are safe while I work out, so I lock ‘em up! I type the combination in a note on my iPhone, which I always have on me when I work out, just in case I ever forget it.
    9. Makeup bag with mini products: Inside my gym makeup bag is all sorts of sample-size products from shopping at Sephora and other department stores or when I stay in hotels, such as travel-size shampoo and conditioner. Full-size items take up a lot of space, so I like to pack the mini versions.
    10. Water bottle: Gotta stay hydrated during my workout!
    11. Reebok RealFlex Fusion TR: In the winter, I wear boots to the gym and then change into sneakers, so I don’t track a “winter-y mix” all over the place. The Reebok RealFlex Fusion TR are great for pretty much every workout at the gym, so they’re my go-to sneaker.
    12. Magazines: On the elliptical or stairclimber, I love to read magazines for entertainment.

Workout #1

At the gym, my workout was split into two parts: tabata + elliptical.

The tabata workout was from the fitmixer bootcamp. I did each exercise (pictured below) for 20 seconds and then rested for 10 seconds before moving onto the next exercise. I did this for 4 rounds, which was a total of 10 minutes, and it was tough! I was good and sweaty by the end. I substituted the calf raises for Burpees because my calves get plenty of exercise already.

fitmixer tabata

After the 10-minute tabata, I hit the elliptical for 15 minutes and read the February issue of Fitness Magazine. Inside was an article with Annemarie McKay, who took up CrossFit in her 70s. Remember when I worked out with her at Reebok? It was so cool to see her sporting her guns in a national magazine! It just goes to show you anyone can do CrossFit!

Annemarie Kay CrossFit

Workout #2

After the gym, I stopped by Target (Trip #1 of “Unnecessary Trips to Target Since My Gym Is Right Next Door”), went to my doctor’s appointment, and then took Murphy for a walk. When Mal got home, we started to talk about the day’s CrossFit workout. I totally wasn’t planning to do it since I had already worked out, but the more we talked, the more fun it sounded and chippers are my favorite kind of workout, so I figured what the heck and went with him. I was also feeling kind of bummed about my performance the day before, so I felt like I needed a good workout to redeem myself—for personal reasons, of course. (Comparison is the thief of joy.) I just knew I hadn’t done my best, so I wanted to go out there and crush a WOD. (I know the CrossFitters know what I’m talking about!) Plus, I tend to have more energy in the evening, so I was ready to plow through that chipper!

Met Con

For time:
    60 KB Swings
    50 Ring Push-ups
    40 K2E
    30 Burpee Box Jumps
    20 Calorie Row
    10 Wall Climbs
    Rx: (53/35) (75/55) (24/20)
    L3: (45/30) (65/45) (24/20), push-ups with feet elevated on a MB
    L2: (35/25) (55/35) (20/15), regular plank push-up
    L1: (30/20) (45/25) (20/15), knee push-ups
    Scaling for Wallclimbs (for athletes that cannot touch belly to wall):
    *wall handstands (10 reps, 5 second hold at the top), OR
    *2 minute plank hold on the elbows

Here is my recap of the WOD:

• 60 KB Swings: I used the prescribed weight for the Kettlebell Swings (35 pounds) and managed to do them unbroken. I told myself if I got to 45 without resting, I wasn’t going to stop. I almost lost my grip on the last 3-5 reps, but I managed to finish without dropping the kettlebell. Yay!
    • 50 Ring Push-ups: 50 Ring Push-ups weren’t going to happen for me, so I did regular plank push-ups. I had wanted to do push-ups with my feet elevated on a 20” box, but as soon as I finished the kettlebell swings, I knew it wasn’t going to happen, so I opted for regular push-ups, which I broke into sets of 10 and then 5.
    • 40 K2E: I can’t do Knees to-Elbows, so I did Kipping Knee Raises, which were still pretty tough. I broke them into reps of 10 and made it through them pretty quickly. (I really need to get K2E down. They’re so frickin’ hard!)
    • 30 Burpee Box Jumps: The Burpees Box Jumps were, of course, brutal, especially after the push-ups. My arms were exhausted! I love Burpees and Box Jumps, so I gutted through them and didn’t stop once.
    • 20 Calorie Row: I used the calorie row as active recovery, but it was still exhausting. My lungs burned so bad!
    • 10 Wall Climbs: The Wall Climbs were easily the hardest part of the workout for me. My arms were completely smoked. I did one at a time and rested for a good 10-15 seconds between each one. When I had only 3 more to go, Mal came over and cheered me on, which motivated me to get through the last few as fast quickly as I could. I just wanted to be done!

It was a killer WOD, and I loved it! I finished in 14:28. Today and probably tomorrow are definitely rest days!

Snack

After CrossFit, I chugged down a protein shake made with Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 in Cookies & Cream flavor.

049 (563x750)

Dinner

For dinner, I had an Italian “hot plate” made with spaghetti squash, ground beef, green bell pepper, onions, and mushrooms, topped with grated Parmesan. It was so good, I ended up going back for seconds.

055 (750x563)

What items are always in your gym bag?

What time of day do you tend to have more energy/perform better at your workouts?

Katie @ skinnyminniemoves January 30, 2013 at 5:13 pm

LOVE that bag. In my gym bag is a lock, extra clothes (always afraid I am gonna rip a hole or something lol), a towel, deodorant, hair brush, dry hair shampoo, wipes, shoes, spin shoes, extra sets of earbuds, hair ties, and… MACE! lol yes Mace.

Audrey January 30, 2013 at 5:21 pm

The mornings are the best time for me to get my workout in. I hate working out in the evening because I am so ready to relax, but I have to a lot of the time. Thank God for coffee!

Erin @living made Healthy January 30, 2013 at 5:58 pm

That bag is so cute! I always use my old backpack as an overnight/gym bag!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 30, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Your gym bag is super cute! I have the Gaiam Everything Fits bag which I LOVE and seems pretty similar. It also has a strap at the bottom to hold your yoga mat.

Brittany @ DulceVie January 30, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I loved this post! I also love your bag and shoes!

BroccoliHut January 30, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Love that bag! I also like your idea of having a makeup bag with mini products in it.

Nicole January 30, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I always have my lock, iPod, shoes, etc.
    I wish I was on my own schedule and could workout at 9 or 10am. That would be ideal!!

She Rocks Fitness January 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm

My energy is so much better in the morning for not only training clients, but for working out myself as well. I used to be a night person, but my internal clock has switched. I will occasionally take a night yoga class, but nothing past 7:00 PM, otherwise I’m a mess and literally cannot sleep. Like that gym bag!

Karla @ Foodologie January 30, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Oh man! I desperately need a new gym bag. I use an old mini travel bag and it has a hole in it :(
    Since I go to the gym before work, I take everything with me (clothes, shoes, hair dryer, curling iron, make up, flip flops, towel). Props to you for keeping it simple!

Lindsay's List January 30, 2013 at 8:31 pm

you look like a BOSS in that first picture!

Tina January 31, 2013 at 8:57 am

@Lindsay’s List: Haha! Thanks! :)

Alyssa January 30, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Normally, I’m very organized, but my gym bag is a complete disaster. I’ve been screwed at the gym many times (working out at the military base gym is never a guaranteed planned workout) so I have EVERYTHING I could possibly need to do any workout. I’ve got gloves, running belts, fuels, headphones, toiletries out the wazoo, jump rope, swimming gear, blow dryer, etc. That is actually one of my goals this weekend. To simplify and reduce the size of my gym bag…which I think is messing up my shoulder too :-(

Katie @ A Full Plate January 30, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I usually go straight to CrossFit from work so I usually just have my gym clothes and sneakers in my bag. Also extra hair ties, headband and my Polar FT7 watch. I seem to have good energy for a workout any time of day…I’m usually just a little slower in the morning :)

Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. January 30, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I have the same items mostly – I also have my iPod shuffle! I really need to put some lotion in my bag. Winter is making my skin so dry!

Katie January 30, 2013 at 9:22 pm

My best workout time is 9-10am!

Judy January 30, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I mostly work out at home, so no gym bag. Afternoons are best for me.

Amanda Cowan January 30, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I don’t tend to shower at the gym because I generally have to take my kids and too long in the childcare room and they come out super hungry and cranky. But I can head straight home most days so it’s not an issue. But I always have my water bottle and a lip gloss. I’m lucky in my gym, our gym cards work to activate the lockers/releasing the keys. So then I just have to carry the key ring, which I clip to a small towel that the gym provides.

I used to NEVER EVER work out in the am, but now I prefer to get it out of the way in the morning.

Meredith January 31, 2013 at 2:42 am

Love your bag, and I’m with you on extra hair elastics. I have skipped a work-out or two because I forgot one! I find I have the most energy first thing in the morning for workouts. If I wait too long, it doesn’t happen!

Erika January 31, 2013 at 3:20 am

In my gym bag I have my Brooks running shoes, a jump rope, Polar HR Monitor, iPod Shuffle, towel, combination lock, weight lifting gloves, and of course some clothes to change into. I prefer working out in the evening after I get off work, but the key is for me to go straight to the gym or bootcamp…no stopping at home. If I go home, there’s at least a 50% chance I won’t make it back out.

De @ Cooking for the Other Half January 31, 2013 at 8:03 am

Love your bag! And the Real Simple mag is definitely essential.

My boyfriend & I live in an apartment complex with a fitness center, so we are fortunate enough to just walk to our gym, enabling us to leave a lot of stuff at home. My favorite quick post-workout snack is definitely a Luna bar– I love those bars!

The morning is the best time for me to work out, hands down. If I wait too long, it won’t happen.

Peggi January 31, 2013 at 8:20 am

Is that 45 min workout you are referencing in your workouts on here. If not you need to share!! I love your workout bag, super cute. Love the shoes too – maybe I need to grab a pair of those……I am such an Asics girl so I have a hard time moving to a different brand. However, I have done Reeboks before and loved them :)

Tina January 31, 2013 at 8:50 am

Yep, just click on the link for my favorite treadmill workout! :)

Emily January 31, 2013 at 8:51 am

I love getting good and sweaty first thing in the morning. I try to get to the gym around 5:45 am before work but in these freezing months that’s been a little hard. My goal is at least twice a (work) week. A lot of times I’ll do cardio in the morning – a lot of your treadmill work outs – and then head back after work to get my lift/crossfit inspired work outs on. So many times though I just want to crash by the end of my work day. You may have already answered this in a post, but is the protein powder shown above your favorite for any particular reason?

Tina January 31, 2013 at 8:56 am

@Emily: Someone else asked this same question in the comments section. Here’s my reply: I pretty much go by taste. I want to drink something that tastes good! I also look at protein and calories, but grams of protein is more important. I typically try to get 25+ grams in a protein shake after a workout. Mal and I use the same protein powder, but he uses more of it in his protein shakes than I do.

Hope this helps! :)

Victoria January 31, 2013 at 10:15 am

I definitely prefer the evening or afternoon to do any type of heavy lifting or running! I usually find when I workout too early, my form and performance is compromised!

Tara January 31, 2013 at 10:21 am

I lovey my Nike bag, lots of compartment (actually, too many, I forget some of the things I have in there) I have socks, headbands, spibelt, money, sweat wrist bands, deoderant, lock, extra water bottle.
    I dont shower at the gym, although my mornings would be faster if I did!
    LOVE to workout in the morning, and I dont mind working out after work If I have a set class to go to or a buddy to workout with!

Alyssa January 31, 2013 at 10:59 am

Love the color of that gym bag!

I prefer to work out in the mornings so I can get it overwith. I just started working full-time plus I’m doing an internship for school, so I’m beat when I get home at 10pm. And this way I have no excuses to not work out.

Sara January 31, 2013 at 11:39 am

Wow! I just posted the exact same type of thing two days ago, asking for pictures of other’s gym bag contents!! WEIRD!

Lori January 31, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Hi Tina,
    Love your Lug bag and am interested in getting one for frequent airline travel. Question…does it have a strap anywhere attached to it that it could slip on the handle of a rolling suitcase?
    Thanks!

Tina January 31, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Not that I see. Just 2 regular shoulder straps.

Lori January 31, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Thanks for the reply, Tina, it helps. I may still get it, though. Too convenient for travel!

Tina January 31, 2013 at 9:41 pm

It’s a great bag! It has a zillion pockets and compartments. You’d never lose anything!

Lori February 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Tina, one last small favor about your bag. I keep seeing on descriptions of it that it has a luggage strap already included and it looks like on the outside of the bag, right above the mesh pocket that would hold your shoes, is a horizontal stap sewn the outside of the bag that you can slip over the handle of a roller bag. From pictures it looks that way, anyway. Can you check yours for that? I’d really appreciate it!

Tina February 2, 2013 at 8:53 am

Oooh, yea! There’s a strap there. I didn’t even notice it until you pointed it out. So sorry! Looks like it would attach right on a suitcase! :)

Lori February 2, 2013 at 4:45 pm

That’s great news for both of us, then! You can use your bag for an extra travel tote if you ever need it! Thanks so much.

Jill February 14, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I read this post and had to buy the bag. You did not oversell it! It’s absolutely perfect—thanks for the tip!

RoadBunner July 25, 2013 at 6:46 pm

hi! I’m searching for the perfect gym bag right now — can you fit this into a standard locker with turning it on its side? Debating between this and the Puddle Jumper but like the look of this one more. Just curious if you can fit it into a locker.
    Thanks!

Tina July 25, 2013 at 8:01 pm

You’d need to turn it, but it fits fine that way!

RoadBunner July 27, 2013 at 1:00 am

Thanks so much for your help! One more question: Can you fit your Camelback bottle into the exterior bottle holder?

Tina July 27, 2013 at 9:34 am

Yea, I think so!

RoadBunner August 16, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I bought the bag and love it! Thanks for all your help!