Happy National Pizza Week! I swear there’s a national holiday for just about every food, but this is one I can definitely get behind. I love me some pizza!
In honor of National Pizza Week, I had some fun in the kitchen yesterday and created a crust made from mashed sweet potatoes. Brittany’s Pizza with a Cauliflower Crust inspired me to think outside of the (pizza) box and try something a little different. The end result was quite delicious and nutritious!
Sweet Potato Pizza Crust
- 1.5 cups mashed sweet potatoes (~2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1.5 cups almond flour (other flours would probably work too)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used mozzarella, but any kind would work)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- Your choice of toppings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; mix well.
- Cover a pizza pan/baking sheet with tinfoil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. (I used tinfoil because my pan had holes in it, and I didn’t want the dough to fall through, but you could probably nix the tinfoil if you’re using a regular baking sheet.)
- Using a spatula, spread the dough evenly into a large circle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is firm and edges are lightly browned.
- Remove crust from oven, add toppings, and bake for another 5-7 minutes until cheese is completely melted.
- Remove pizza from oven, slice and enjoy!
The best part about this pizza (in my opinion and Mal’s) is the texture of the crust. It’s firm and a little crispy, but still soft and chewy””almost like a “real” pizza crust.
I was a huge fan of the flavor (because I love curry), but if you don’t enjoy the taste of curry (like Mal), just leave it out. I think all of the other spices will still add some seriously delicious flavor to the crust. FYI: If you’re a fan of the Curry Spice Blend from Practical Paleo, you will definitely love this crust!
I hope you guys love this Sweet Potato Pizza Crust as much as I do! If you make it, please let me know what you think!
And since it’s National Pizza Week and all, here are some of my favorite recipes to help you celebrate such a delicious holiday!
Question of the Day
What’s your favorite kind of pizza?