• New Workouts to Try in the New Year

January 9, 2013

Hello, hello!

I ended up eating an early lunch yesterday because I had a doctor’s appointment at 12:30 PM , which was about an hour’s drive away, so I knew I’d be starving by the time I got home.

On the menu: leftover pizza on a Sweet Potato Crust.

And canned salmon mixed with spicy mustard, salt, and pepper with avocado on top. Fab lunch.

After lunch, I headed out to run some quick errands, which included a stop at Starbucks. I recently heard about a new Vanilla Spice Latte, so I wanted to try it out. Sadly, it wasn’t anything special. (I still drank it.)

By the time I got home from my doctor’s appointment, I wanted something to eat, so I made myself a Peanut Butter and Banana French Toast Sandwich (recipe on Health next week) and share it with Mal. Unfortunately, the bread did not agree with my digestive system. Blah.

Peanut butter and banana French Toast

Mal and I both took off a day from CrossFit, so we took Murphy to the dog park for some physical activity and fresh air.

By the time we arrived at the park, it was pretty late in the day, so the sun was starting to set.

It made for some gorgeous scenery.

After our trip to the park, Mal and I came home and cooked dinner together. On the menu: Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Salad, which was frickin’ amazing. If you haven’t made this one yet, please do!

Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Salad

Health News & Views

Going to the gym and doing the same workout day after day gets old quick and won’t help you stick to your goals for the new year. An easy way to stay motivated? Try a new workout or sign up for a new class. Here are three workouts that will inspire you and keep you out of an exercise rut!

3 New Workouts to Try in the New Year

What’s the most unusual/adventurous workout you’ve ever tried? What unusual/adventurous workout would you like to try someday?

Workouts I’ve tried: SurfSET, Rebounding, Zumba, Paddleboarding, Tubura, Ziplining, Pickleball

Workouts I want to try: Rock Climbing, Surfing… I’d pretty much try anything!

Nicole January 9, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I just read about the surfing workout.
    I’d like to try TRX!! Not new for 2013, but new to me.

Tina January 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm

@Nicole: TRX is awesome! Tough, but awesome! :)

Christine January 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm

My gym has rock climbing and I love it! It’s scary but safe. Nice combo.

Tina January 9, 2013 at 2:12 pm

@Christine: Agreed! Perfect combo! :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 9, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I tried the vanilla spice latted and LOVED it!!! Maybe yours needed a little more spice! :-)

Kait January 9, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I agree with you I try to do a rotation of 3 different exercises each week! I also started listening to podcasts which keep me more entertained

Ashlee January 9, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I can’t wait to try this sweet potato crust!! I’m thinking a pear, feta & apple/sage vegan sausage topping combo would be awesome!

Tina January 9, 2013 at 2:27 pm

@Ashlee: Mmm… that sounds amazing! I love the fruit idea!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I think the Barre class I went to would probably be the most unusual workout class I’ve ever done, but clearly that wasn’t too extreme compared to some others! And yes, I need to try your loaded potato salad!!

Emily January 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm

You should all try Pure Barre. It’s amazing! Gets results too =)

Tina January 9, 2013 at 2:31 pm

@Emily: I love Barre classes! I should do them more often! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks January 9, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Rock climbing is definitely fun! That’s probably a ‘crazy’ workout I’ve tried. I also love to ski. I also tried Bikram!

I teach Zumba & BP & GRIT & CXWORX<–so I try a bunch every week!

Caroline January 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Rock Climbing! I belong to an awesome rock climbing gym in Brooklyn. It’s really tests your strength and you also have to use your mind to figure out “problems” on finishing a route. By the time I’m done my forearms are usually throbbing and swollen. Outdoor rock climbing is even better and scary too. Also you get banged up a lot so you look hardcore with your scars and battle wounds!!

Stephanie January 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Your hair looks amazing Tina!

Tina January 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Hey, thanks! :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance January 9, 2013 at 2:50 pm

That pizza looks amazing! I see you are like me and don’t believe in the “2 slices of avocado” rule for portioning. What a crock of ridiculousness that idea is!

Tina January 9, 2013 at 2:54 pm

@Christina @ The Beautiful Balance: Ha! What is that rule? I pretty much eat half of an avocado every time I open one up! :)

RunEatRepeat January 9, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I’m just catching up since being in FL and not reading any blogs :)

I would rather be fast because even if you’re strong if you go hand to hand combat with someone you’ll probably still end up pretty banged up. I’ll just run away fast and go get some fro-yo…

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries January 9, 2013 at 3:03 pm

There is nothing prettier than Boston sunsets! :) I love taking walks around dusk, the sun setting in the background is just so beautiful!

Eating 4 Balance January 9, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I’ve always wanted to try rock climbing too! That is the #1 workout that I want to try this year. Have you made any plans to do it yet?

Tina January 9, 2013 at 3:10 pm

@Eating 4 Balance: I’ve started researching! :) I guess there’s an REI not too far from Boston that offers free beginner classes on Saturdays, so I’m going to check it out soon!

Eating 4 Balance January 9, 2013 at 3:18 pm

@Tina: Cool! I guess it goes without saying that you’ll write up an awesome post about it? :)

Lauren January 9, 2013 at 3:14 pm

The most unusual workout I’ve ever tried was Bikram a while back, although it’s pretty common now. And I’m planning to try Crossfit sometime this month once we move – I know it’s totally normal for you 😉 but I’ve never given it a shot!

Alana January 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I made your loaded baked potato chicken salad last night as well. YUM! I replaced the brussel sprouts (since I didn’t have any on hand) with broccoli and crimini mushrooms and it turned out fantastic. Definitely trying your sweet potato pizza crust next :)

Tina January 9, 2013 at 3:23 pm

@Alana: Yum! Broccoli and mushrooms sound great! :)

Sara @ fitcupcaker January 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I guess mine would be zumba..not that crazy I guess…

Julie @ Avocado Run January 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I’d love to try a Barre class! And that surfing one looks fun!

Btw, there’s a great rock climbing gym around the Dartmouth/ New Bedford area… I went there a couple years ago and loved it 😀

Tina January 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm

@Julie @ Avocado Run: Nice! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Shannon B. January 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Too bad about the latte. It looked promising because of the cardamon. Aww..I love spices.

Question about how to make your dandy blend? You were the first to introduce me to dandy blend and I was curious how you make it hot/cold? I want to buy some but I’m not sure what to do with it.

Tina January 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm

@Shannon B.: I typically make it cold and then store it in the refrigerator. It’s a powder, so you can mix it with hot or cold water. It’s super easy to make!

Shannon B. January 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm

How do you flavor it?

Tina January 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I usually don’t, just some almond milk. I’ve added flavored extracts (vanilla, coconut, almond) in the past though.

Alison @ Healthy-Assets.com January 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Surfing is an awesome workout. I love doing it on vacation and wish I lived somewhere I could do more of it.

I’d like to try some rock climbing too!

Victoria January 9, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I love rock-climbing, but it’s expensive. The place I used to go to required a certificate to belay (mine expired); if you weren’t certified, you had to pay an additional fee for a staff belayer.
    I recently signed up for Kung Fu – it sounded interesting, but we’ll see how it goes.

Tina January 9, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Kung Fu sounds cool! :)

Jen January 9, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Is there any rebounding places around here in Mass?

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I’m always into trying new things. Like I always say, I’ll try anything ONCE! If I don’t like it, then I just won’t do it again :) I’d love to try rock climbing or surfing too! Right now I am into barre and zumba!

Sarah @PickyRunner January 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Oh my gosh I totally want to try the trampoline workout! It sounds like SO MUCH FUN!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I’ve never really done anything too crazy workout wise in terms of adventure, but I love taking Boot Camp classes. I want to try Zumba, I’m hoping to this weekend!

Janna @ RantingRose January 9, 2013 at 4:40 pm

after such a success with the cauliflower crust I can’t wait to try the sweet potato–never thought it was possible to enjoy healthy, grain free pizza!

Nicole January 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I have always wanted to try AntiGravity® Yoga. It is one of my treats if I stick to my goals for this year!

BTW, I LOVE your blog. It is the reason I started my own.

Annette January 9, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I felt the same way about the Vanilla Spice latte, I did try and Iced Vanilla Blonde, which is basically the blonde brew w/vanilla, but it was pretty good.

I would love to try rock climbing.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 9, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I’ve been wanting to try that Vanilla Spice latte but I’ve definitely heard mediocre reactions to it and so I think I might have to skip it. I’m curious about how your digestive system responds to a (mostly) Paleo diet? Do you think that’s helped?

Tina January 9, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Limiting grains and gluten has seemed to help!

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 9, 2013 at 6:14 pm

That picture of Murphy just cracks me up :) Canned Salmon? Never heard of it!

Jessica @ Will Workout 4 Food January 9, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I’d love to do a hot yoga class! Leaving a workout sweaty makes me feel extra successful so I’m sure I’d feel so good once I was done!

Becky @ Olives n Wine January 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I’d love to try Zumba and a barre class this year. I’d probably look like an idiot because I can’t dance 😉

Danica @ It's Progression January 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I wish there were places near where I live to making hiking a workout I could do…it’d be so fun to have beautiful scenery to venture through, all while getting a workout.

Berlin Patience January 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I would never consider to use a potatoes as a crust for my pizza. I guess it would taste like an awesome baked potatoes chip. how does it taste?

She Rocks Fitness January 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I am up for trying anything at least once. If I don’t like it then I just won’t do it again, but you never know unless you try. Surfing is amazing, peaceful, and such a fabulous workout! I used to do 4-5 times a week when I lived in CA. Pure bliss!

Kayla January 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Your dinner looks delish! I don’t eat meat however…do you think your recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Salad would be good with Tempeh or Tofu? Maybe just veggies and no meat?

Tina January 9, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Sure! Those ideas sound delicious! :)

Katie January 9, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Does ziplining count as a workout? It was through the rainforest of Jamaica and we also hiked! So cool yet scary

Luv What You Do January 9, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I really wnt to try trapeze…I think it would be super fun and a good core workout!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 9, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I’m ad about the latte, I guess I’ll skip it! :( I’m making the sweet potato crust tomorrow! I can’t wait!!

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 9, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I would love to try kick-boxing! That stinks you didn’t like the latte! I hate when everyone raves about a drink and then you end up not liking it, happened to me with the misto

Khushboo January 9, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I want to try Crossfit soon!…and zumba & boot camp :)!

Madison January 10, 2013 at 7:02 am

I would say rock climbing is the “craziest” workout I have tried. I want to try other ones though! That trampoline workout seems like a great one to try!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles January 10, 2013 at 7:55 am

I would like to try one of those Barre classes people talk about. I have done things like: running, spinning, biking, hiking, Crossfit, tennis, golf, skiing. I have white water rafted but didn’t do it as a “workout”.

The Kidless Kronicles

Amanda @KnotLiving January 10, 2013 at 9:20 am

Oh how much I would love a trampoline! I’ve never really thought of that as an exercise, I guess because it’s so much fun, haha.

TiffanyS January 10, 2013 at 9:58 am

I would like to do more rock climbing. I’ve tried it a few times, and what a rush! I think my new CF muscles would be helpful. I’ve tried TRX (LOVE it), Muay Thai Kickboxing, Zumba, Spinning, Horseback riding, Bootcamp, and Crossfit of course. I would like to try paddleboarding sometime and ziplining.

Tina January 10, 2013 at 11:32 am

I’d love to try horseback riding someday. Maybe I should add that to my list for 2013?

Jessica January 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I made the loaded baked potatoe chicken salad tonight for my fiancé. Both him and I absolutely loved it! Thanks for the great recipe and blog!!

Tina January 10, 2013 at 6:20 pm

So glad you guys liked it!

Kelly@BalancedDaily January 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

The most unusual workout I’ve every tried was Zumba (unusual for me, normal for others) because dancing around to “booty-shaking” moves alongside my mother and about 20 other 50+ women was quite the experience. I didn’t love it. A workout I would love to try one day would be pole-dancing workouts. They seem like a fun way to get you fitness on and become stronger as well as more aware of your body.

Alana January 27, 2013 at 4:40 am

Hi there,

Thanks for the detailed post, and the great recipes. I noted that you mentioned that bread doesn’t go well with your system. Was this wholewheat bread that you used for your sandwich, and do you make this often? I think our bodies take time to get adjusted to new foods, and if a certain food is giving you stomach trouble, it’s just your body’s way of adjusting to something new. I’ve also found that whenever I have my bread with some light yogurt, I’m able to keep it down and not have any digestive issues.