• Paleo “Granola” Recipe

January 16, 2013

Check out what I had for breakfast yesterday morning—and it’s not a French Toast Breakfast Scramble or a Two-Ingredient Pancake!

076 (563x750)

I made a Greek yogurt parfait with blueberries and some Paleo “granola” that I whipped up the night before.

Paleo_Granola_

I know there’s a lot of Paleo “granola” and Paleo “crunch” recipes out there, so I’m not the first to create something like this, but I simplified the recipe by using what I had in my kitchen. And, hey, you might like my recipe better than the others (it’s salty and sweet), so here’s my version!

Paleo “Granola”

Base Ingredients:

• 1.5 cups almond flour/meal
    • 1/2 cup coconut oil
    • 1/4 cup honey
    • 2 tsp cinnamon
    • 2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1 tsp sea salt

Paleo_Granola_Base_Ingredients

Add-in Ingredients:

• 1 cup shredded coconut
    • 1 cup mixed nuts
    • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds

You can pretty much add anything you want to your Paleo “granola” once you have your base ingredients. I had shredded coconut, a bag of mixed nuts, and sunflower seeds on hand, so that’s what I used. Feel free to add whatever ingredients you have in your kitchen!

Paleo_Granola_Add-in_Ingredients

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
    2. Combine base ingredients in a large bowl; blend well.
    3. Mix in your add-in ingredients.
    4. Spread mixture onto a prepared baking sheet. (I sprayed my baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, but you could use coconut or olive oil.)
    5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing after 10 minutes or so.
    6. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.

Workout

Tough WOD yesterday! I swear, any WOD with more than 3 or 4 rounds kills me and yesterday’s had 6! Yowsahs.

Met Con

6 RFT:
    100m Sprint
    10 OHS
    10 Box Jumps
    10 T2B
    Rx: (95, 65) (24”, 20”)
    Scaling #1: (65, 45) (24”, 20”)
    Scaling #2: 45, technique, PVC; whichever weight allows you to keep the bar over your heels and the weight in your heels (20”, 15”)

Before the WOD, we worked on headstands, and I got my very first one—thanks to some awesome coaching tips from Kerrie. I actually did a bunch of headstands and managed to stay balanced in the pose for a few seconds. It was cool.

For the WOD, I did scaling option #1 (45 pounds for the Overhead Squats and a 20” box for the box jumps) and finished in 13:30. I tried to keep up with Kerrie, but she was en fuego and almost lapped me! Haha! Trying to keep up with her definitely made me push myself, so I know my time was faster because of her.

Lunch

For lunch, I cooked up a turkey burger and then topped it with guacamole. On the side, I head some roasted summer squash and some mashed butternut squash.

079

Snack

A little while later, I snacked on some baby carrots and rice crackers with some more guacamole, which I can’t seem to get enough of. Basically, when it’s near me, I need to eat ALL OF IT!

087

I also snacked on some a lot of Paleo “Granola” over the course of the afternoon. I couldn’t keep my hand out of it!

Paleo Granola

What foods do you have trouble controlling yourself around?

Mine: Cereal/granola, guacamole, Buffalo Chicken Dip, Doritos, my Mom’s Apple Crisp.

P.S. My cousin just sent me this video and it’s absolutely adorable. It’s a dog teaching a puppy how to go down stairs. ADORABLE!!!

alexe January 16, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Thank you for that video! It really made my day!

Regarding your question : I have no control when it comes to cereal or hummus (it’s just so good and creamy!). The cereal one is really, really bad. I can go through a box in one sitting. Oups! :(

eliza January 16, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Yum!! Granola looks amazing

i am obsessed with PB or chocolate chips

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit January 16, 2013 at 12:23 pm

YES! So excited for this recipe! I’ve been keeping an eye out for something snacky & paleo friendly, thanks! I have trouble controlling myself around any sort of “finger food” which I pretty much consider most snack items — cereal, carrots, chips, pretzels, etc. Yikes, that’s a lot ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 16, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I can’t control myself around granola either – it’s just so good! Also any kind of cheese platter is dangerous for me!

Tina January 16, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I’m with ya on the cheese platter!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic January 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Tina, this looks great! I’m not Paleo but I would totally make this!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run January 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Sounds wonderful! Baking granola is one of my favorite things to do in the kitchen; it makes the house smell so good. My cupboards are currently empty of homemade granola, so perhaps I’ll give your paleo recipe a try :)

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 16, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Cereal is a big time challege for me! Along with M&M’s, Reese’s, basically anything involving chocolate. That stuff has it out for me, I swear.

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 16, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Love that breakfast!!! I have trouble around froyo, banana chips and trailmix!!

Elisabeth January 16, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I have trouble with controlling myself around buffalo chicken dip, queso & tortilla chips, Doritos, Cheez-Its, my grandma’s rocky road fudge, pecan pie, molasses cookies and ‘s’mores cookie bars ;)

Angela January 16, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Can’t stop with popcorn or m&m’s.

Noticed this is the first time with greek yogurt in a while — how’d it go with the tummy?

Tina January 16, 2013 at 1:29 pm

@Angela: Great! Dairy has never been an issue for me! :)

Alyssa January 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Omg that video was the cutest thing ever!!

I definitely can’t stop when it comes to ice cream & chips & dip. I can control chips on their own, but when you add dip to it I’m like a mad woman lol.

Amelia January 16, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Let’s see…cereal, butterscotch chips, m&m’s, salsa and chips, snacky stuff in general and lately, because someone gave my office one, a box of See’s Chocolates. Thank goodness they’re gone now. Weirdly, I’ve never been a box of chocolates girl but holy yum – it was hard to hold myself back from eating more than one.

Kristen @ Change of Pace January 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm

The granola looks great. I’d definitely add coconut to mine! I have trouble controlling myself around cookies. Terrible!

Shel@PeachyPalate January 16, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Granola is definitely one of them! And SunButter…used to be dried fruit but I kicked the habit :)

Kayla January 16, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Yum! This Granola looks Fantastic! Can’t wait to try it this weekend :)

Mia January 16, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Where’s the peanut m&m’s on your list?? ;)

My food tastes change, so lately my items include: chunky peanut butter, Artisana coconut butter (SO FREAKIN GOOD–why haven’t I tried it til now?), popcorn with truffle salt, & SUSHI! I’m sure there is more, but thats whats in my head right now. :)

TiffanyS January 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Kettle corn or caramel corn. There is something about the sweet and salty combo’s that get me.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance January 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I can’t control myself around hummus and fresh guacamole. Yum!

Allison January 16, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Trail mix!! It’s the sweet and salty together that gets me. I’ll have to try this granola. I used to make my own granola all the time but I stopped because I couldn’t control myself around it! Ha!

BroccoliHut January 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm

This granola looks great! And I just so happen to have a full bag of almond meal on hand…
    Granola is also a “no-self control” food for me, as are Chex Mix and Raisinets.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm

That granola sounds amazing! And fairly easy too!

Angela January 16, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Guacamole for sure!! So addicting.

Heather January 16, 2013 at 8:27 pm

The granola is so yummie~ I had to make some today! Wondering if your was crunchie or a bit soft yet. Not sure if I baked my lond enough. Also what kind of turkey burgers do you have or do you make them home made?

Heather

Tina January 17, 2013 at 8:56 am

I buy them from Stop & Shop.

Alyssa January 16, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Sweet potato wedges, cheese (usually aged gouda) and Justin’s Maple Almond Butter. No question there.

Maria January 17, 2013 at 9:41 am

Do you think it would be possible to sub the coconut oil for extra virgin olive oil? :)

Tina January 17, 2013 at 10:42 am

Taste-wise, I think canola or vegetable would probably be better, but olive oil would work too! :)

Ellen January 17, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Do I need to melt the coconut oil?

Tina January 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Yep! :)

Luv What You Do January 17, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Definitely granola…I could eat the entire thing in one sitting!

jwlrs January 20, 2013 at 3:38 pm

your photo shows sweetened coconut. that’s not paleo : )

Brooke January 21, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Do you have any suggestions for a coconut oil substitution? Currently don’t have any around the house and feeling a bit lazy since I have the rest of the ingredients, haha.

Tina January 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Canola, vegetable, olive oil.

Sia February 7, 2013 at 2:43 am

The granola looks heavy in calories. It has a lot of almond flour, coconut milk, honey and coconut. Would this only be for people who work out. Wouldn’t you gain weight eating this every monring?

It looks incredibly delicious but really heavy in calories.

Hand Me Downs and Flip Flops April 26, 2013 at 11:54 am

This is soooo good. I put it on my protein power breakfast and in my greek yogurt. Sometimes I just eat a handful.

Granola Recipes May 7, 2013 at 11:04 am

Good read. Just because you are doing a specific diet doesn’t mean granola is out of the picture. You just have to get a bit more creative with the ingredients. Thanks for sharing.

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living August 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I’m always looking for quick (and healthy) breakfast recipes. This is perfect, thanks for sharing.

Lisa January 14, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Yummo! I just made this granola and it is awesome. I added sliced almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds and dried apricots. I told my two year old that its cookies and loves it too. Thanks for the great recipe.

Tina January 14, 2014 at 7:15 pm

So glad you liked it!!

Erica September 1, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Thanks again Tina. Your “granola” is amazing. I love it. In fact, I’m feeling an addiction coming on!