• Making My Goals A Reality in 2013

January 13, 2013

This post is part of my ongoing sponsorship with fitmixer as a brand ambassador. The thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

This month’s fitmixer post is all about trying something new in 2013! I was asked to blog about something I’ve never done before—why I want to try it and how I will make it a reality. Since I already blogged about some of the new things I want to try this year when I wrote about my goals for 2013, I decided to elaborate with how I will make these things become a reality.

Try surfing

I tried paddleboarding adventures this summer and thought it was a lot of fun, so now I want to try surfing. (I know they’re different, but the idea of cruising along the water sounds so cool!) Mal and I are going to Hawaii next month, so it’s a priority for me to try surfing. We already have a lesson set up! Yay and yikes!

Mimi_surfing
    [image source]

Try (indoor) rock climbing

I love trying new fitness activities, so rock climbing is definitely on my list for 2013. I already looked into a couple of nearby rock climbing facilities and, apparently, the REI in Framingham has Learn to Climb classes and Open Climbing, so I just need to nail down a day to go. It’ll probably be sooner than later now that I’ve done the research!

indoor-rock-climbing-2

Learn to Make Sushi

Learning to make sushi has been on my Life’s To Do List for years now, so I’m finally committing to it in 2013. Another one of my goals for the year is to have a monthly date night with Mal, so I’m thinking a sushi making class would be a lot of fun to do together. A couple of readers gave me suggestions, so I’m going to look into them for an upcoming date night.

sushi2
    [image source]

What are some of the news things you want to try in 2013? How will you make them a reality?

P.S. Be sure to head over to fitmixer to enter this month’s giveaway!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } January 13, 2013 at 7:03 am

Well – I wanted to try my first half marathon but a bum knee may prevent me from doing that as I planned (in 2 weeks!) I’m forever saying I’d like to learn a second language and take an art/photography class. You’d think since I work at a university it wouldn’t be this difficult!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 13, 2013 at 7:21 am

Trying CrossFit has been on my fitness bucket list for quite some time, and I’m finally going to my first class on Tuesday–ekkk! Talk about being nervous and excited! :)

Mallory January 13, 2013 at 8:24 am

@Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes: You’ll love it girl!! I’m in the process of becoming a crossfit trainer! You’ll be addicted!! The results are AMAZING!

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Yay!!! Have FUN! :)

Sarah @PickyRunner January 13, 2013 at 7:42 am

I think it’s great that you’ve actually committed to planning these. It will make you more likely to try them. I’m definitely interested in learning to surf. But also try some paddleboard yoga. That will require me to get a paddleboard first though… so I have a few steps in between getting to those goals!

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I’ve heard paddleboard yoga is so cool!

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 13, 2013 at 7:43 am

I want to try Hot Yoga this year, and run a 5k race. Both will require me to be a little bit stronger than I am now, so I’m excited to get myself to a place ready to complete those!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 13, 2013 at 8:24 am

Both surfing and indoor rock climbing are SO fun. It took me awhile to get the hang of surfing, but once you get it down, it’s awesome. My husband and I would totally have a membership to an indoor rock gym, but they’re pretty pricey so we just go every once in awhile. Just a tip: use your LEGS to pull you up! It’s always so tempting to want to use your arms.

Mallory January 13, 2013 at 8:28 am

I’d like totry hot yoga. I have a week pass that I’ve been carrying around with me for quote a while. Also, I’d like new kinds of food. I’m a picky eater and I want to try a little of everything.

Kat January 13, 2013 at 8:30 am

My boyfriend and I went indoor rock climbing last weekend and we had so much fun! Neither of us realized how hard it would be so both of us had sore arms and shoulders the next day, but I would go back in a heartbeat!

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Great to hear! Can’t wait to try it!

Abby @ Change of Pace January 13, 2013 at 8:38 am

You’re well on your way to achieving these goals!
    I just tried indoor rock climbing for the first time. SO fun, but scary if you don’t like heights! It was awesome to push myself to make it to the top and ring the bell!
    I’ve surfed a few times, but always baby waves. Good luck with it!

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:45 pm

So cool! I can’t wait to try it myself! :)

kim@hungryhealthygirl January 13, 2013 at 9:00 am

I will run my 2nd marathon this year and I will make it a reality by signing up and sticking to a training plan. Since I’ve already done one, it takes the guess work out, but I’m still just as nervous about the long distance. And now I know how brutal it is! ;)

Kelsey Reidl January 13, 2013 at 9:14 am

If you’re wanting to try sushi making without taking a class, just go for rolls with rice on the inside only – they are so simple to make and taste just as good!

Laura @ RunningJunkie123 January 13, 2013 at 9:25 am

I would like to try white water rafting and go to hot yoga!

Cassidy @ wine and ice cream January 13, 2013 at 9:41 am

Reading this made me want to look up the rock climbing training class at REI. There is one in our area. Now I just need to register… and get a baby sitter. Oh, and get over my fear of heights. Thanks for the inspiration.

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Yay! :)

mi-an dela cruz January 13, 2013 at 9:55 am

i am one of your blog lurker but thought i’d comment on this one bc i know you would appreciate it… i started doing crossfit last week! woohoo! that’s my 2013 goal in the fitness world and also do more yoga!

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Woohoo! What do you think so far?

Sara @ fitcupcaker January 13, 2013 at 10:08 am

surfing would be so hard…I started crossfit so I can check that off my list more..I also said I wanted to travel more so I am planning two trips this year :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 13, 2013 at 10:22 am

I JUST tried surfing for the first time after Christmas! My boyfriend is from San Diego and grew up doing it, and he had so much fun trying to teach me. I wore TWO wet suits and barely stood up, but I had the hugest smile on my face and was laughing the whole time.
    You’ll love it!
    I’d really like to become a good SWIMMER. I can swim, but not with good technique, and it’s an exercise I want to be able to do since it’s so good for you during pregnancy and throughout the rest of your life.

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Fun! I’m excited (and scared) to try it!

Olivia Hill January 13, 2013 at 10:34 am

Surfing seems like so much fun! I’ve ever only tried it on vacation, and it’s quite challenging, but once you get the hang of it, you feel like a total badass.

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I hope I can figure it out! Haha!

Amy @ Writing While Running January 13, 2013 at 10:47 am

Making sushi and rock-climbing are among my favorite things to do! Surfing, however, scares me.

abby January 13, 2013 at 10:51 am

I surfed once and LOVED it. Such an entire body workout! Making sushi looks fun…I definitely want to try that.

TorontoRunner January 13, 2013 at 10:52 am

If I could make sushi, I don’t think I’d ever eat anything else! Love your goals :)
    I’m going to try and take a couple of dance classes this year – break out of my shell a little bit and let loose!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 13, 2013 at 10:54 am

My goals aren’t super concrete for the year since I’m graduating law school, taking the bar, and the I have no idea what I’ll be doing after that! But I have a big life bucket list and I should take a few more feasible ones and write down HOW I can do them. I really need to do that!

Elisabeth January 13, 2013 at 11:31 am

This year I want to start running using C25K and travel to a state I’ve never been to (not sure which yet).

AJ January 13, 2013 at 11:32 am

Wow, ambitious list, i love it!! I would love to try paddle boarding sometime. The rock climbing sounds like a fun challenge too. I think maybe I would like to try hot yoga too.

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

Stacie January 13, 2013 at 12:26 pm

If you become a member at REI (a one-time fee that makes you a member for life) you can rock climb for free! Plus you get dividends off items you purchase in the store or online yearly. I think I paid $25 like 15 years ago (yikes–that just gave my age away!), but it has been SO worth it.

Thanks for the post :)

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Yes! I love being a member! So many great deals and perks! :)

Alicia January 13, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I live on Oahu! You will have a wonderful time.

Alaina January 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I love indoor rock climbing! I haven’t been in a while. I’ve been to MetroRock in Everett and really like their facilities. I’ll spot ya! :-P

Heather January 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm

You have a strong core so you’ll be great with surfing! I tried it for the first time in Hawaii myself last year… I was so nervous but it ended up being a blast! Once I realized they weren’t going to put me in killer hard waves – just easy baby ones – it calmed my nerves. Good luck!

PS – Eat tons of pineapple in Hawaii! You won’t find it sweeter anywhere else ;)

Tina January 13, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I looovveeee pineapple! Can’t wait! :)

mollie January 13, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I am starting my own blog! This is something I’ve wanted to do for a while but felt too nervous. Your posts about blogging have been so helpful and I am excited to get going (I already have you on my blogroll!).

Jenny January 14, 2013 at 1:17 am

Good luck with the surfing. I did a beginners lesson and had great fun. One tip- wear longer board shorts rather than just bikini bottoms. I had scrape marks all down my thighs from jumping up.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance January 14, 2013 at 2:32 am

Rock climbing is SO fun! You will love it. I can’t wait to see the pictures from Hawaii.

Amy January 14, 2013 at 9:40 am

I first read a monthly “debate” night with Mal, not date night! LOL!!

Suzanne January 14, 2013 at 10:22 am

I would love to try CrossFit, I really enjoy exercise and love mixing it up! Unfortunately, I had wrist surgery to repair a break in September so I think I need to wait a few more months.

Enjoy Hawaii, we took lessons in Maui almost 2 years ago…great fun and great workout! There are some good surf schools locally too, we use ACKSurf on Nantucket for lessons over the summer!

Michelle January 24, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Saw a coupon and thought of you! Its on Gilt City ! Kind of pricey but a couples class for making sushi ! Here is the link for sign up: http://www.giltcity.com/invite/ceeko15
    Actually I bet they would even host you as a blogger :) hehe
    This is what it says:
    “Sushi 101” for Couples with Chef Kevin Long $179
    Includes
    •Sushi-rolling class taught by Big Night Entertainment Executive Chef Kevin Long on Saturday, February 2 or Saturday, February 9, 2013 from 1–3 PM
    •Paired sake and appetizers for two
    •Select date at right

Tina January 24, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Thank you for the link!! :)