• I Totally Joined a New Gym

January 25, 2013

Good morning! Happy Friday!

Pug people, how adorable is this “Benefits to Pug Ownership”!?! One of my Twitter followers tweeted it to me last night, and I almost died with cuteness overload. I especially loved the part about Men in Black. Haha!

benefits of owning a pug
    image source]

Breakfast

Yesterday’s breakfast was mashed sweet potatoes with Coconut Cinnamon Apples (<— recipe also works with pears!), Greek yogurt, and a scoop of Teddie peanut butter. I heated up the sweet potatoes and apples in the microwave and then added the Greek yogurt and peanut butter. Mmm… so good! I also drank a glass of iced coffee with almond milk.

008

After breakfast, I went to a doctor’s appointment and then on my drive home, I got a call from my sister. She had an ultrasound yesterday morning and found out she’s having a BOY! I guess eating all of those bananas worked! (I read an article online that said eating a diet high in potassium was associated with having a boy, so I told my sister she should eat a lot of bananas if that’s what she wanted. She replied she didn’t think the shape of the food mattered. Haha! It’s been a running joke ever since!) Anyway, when I heard my sister’s good news, I was about to drive by a Target, so I popped in and bought my nephew all sorts of ridiculously cute things. I can’t wait to spoil him!

When I pulled into the parking lot at Target, I noticed an LA Fitness tucked away behind it. I had no idea it was even there. I was wearing workout gear because I planned to swing by Planet Fitness again to test out a treadmill workout for my Health post, so I dropped into LA Fitness to see if I could try it out for the day.

009

I love that my job involves testing out treadmill workouts!

treadmill workout

Even though I was kind of in the market for a new gym membership, I really didn’t think I was going to join. I just wanted a cheap-y gym where I could run on the treadmills, and I assumed LA Fitness was out of my price range because it was really nice inside—it even had a pool! (I want to try water running!)

LA_Fitness_amenities_

All of the fancy amenities definitely sold me, and I totally joined a new gym. (The fact the membership saleswoman did CrossFit didn’t hurt either—we had lots to chat about!) LA Fitness offers month-to-month contracts, so I only signed up for two months. Once the weather warms up, I’ll be able to run outside again. But, with all of the fun classes and amenities available at LA Fitness, maybe I’ll end up keeping my membership a little longer. We shall see.

Lunch

After the gym, I came home and threw together a quick lunch, which was chicken with Sweet Potato Wedges, sautéed mushrooms, green beans, and a big scoop of basil avocado.

013

I finished off lunch with a pineapple Chobani.

015

What are your must-haves for a gym? What amenities will sell you?

Amenities that will sell me: Treadmills with TVs, a variety of awesome classes, a fancy locker room, a juice bar or healthy café

P.S. I heard about an interesting story that’s going to be on Science Friday today and just wanted to pass it along to the dog people: Canine Conundrum: How Dog Became Man’s Best Friend. I plan to listen!

Becki @ Fighting for Wellness January 26, 2013 at 12:07 am

I’ll need a new gym once I finish grad school and no longer have access to the one there, but haven’t given the selection much thought. I definitely think a pool would be a selling point for me too because I want to train for a triathlon soon. I wonder if there is an LA Fitness near my neck of Boston.

Lindsay January 26, 2013 at 7:48 am

I NEED tv’s with the treadmills – otherwise I get bored in 5 minutes. Other than that, I’m pretty easily satisfied with a gym as long as its clean, has good machines, and isn’t so crowded post-work that I want to avoid it like the plague.

Victoria January 26, 2013 at 9:38 am

Your new gym looks awesome! I would have joined on the spot also :)

Meghan January 26, 2013 at 9:49 am

I go to the same LA Fitness! I love love love the classes! Haven’t had the courage to try spin yet, but my favorite Zumba instructor is Kelsey on Thursday nights, and her boot camp classes are insanely awesome too.

She Rocks Fitness January 26, 2013 at 10:06 am

I currently workout at home these days to save some money + I have all the equipment I need. But when looking to join a gym, I always like to see cleanliness, nice spin room, and a pool. Stay warm this weekend!

Jennifer January 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Trying to think about what my gym must have. Treadmills, locker rooms with showers, free weights, mat areas and a track would be nice.

Congrats to your sister. Enjoy the new gym!

AJ January 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I don’t own a pug, but that illustration is super adorable. Now that I’ve been a member at a gym for a while, I am so happy I went with a small, local gym instead of a big box gym. I know the owner and all of the trainers by name. They offer tons of classes, but I feel at home there. Every once and a while its SO busy that I can’t do what I want, but for the most part, I love it and everyone is awesome.

-AJ
    FitTraveleAJ.blogspot.com

Emily @ www.main-eats.com January 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Love your food for the day and congrats on your new gym!

Alyssa January 26, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Honestly, the things that really sell me are: TVs with cable on each piece of cardio equipment, towels and hairdryers provided in the locker rooms, and an indoor heated pool. Group fitness classes are a bonus :-) Our favorite gym is Lifetime Fitness, but they are much smaller of a corporation than LA Fitness. Fingers crossed they come to Dayton, OH!!

Don’t you wish that the CrossFit gyms would just have a couple treadmills inside so you could get even more bang for your buck? That is my one bummer about paying for the CF gym. I’ve been super dedicated about bundling up and running outside though!

Oh, and I’ve been taste testing GF beers for you…I’ll do a post ;-)

Katherine January 26, 2013 at 9:32 pm

your food always looks so beautiful!

Mai January 27, 2013 at 10:05 am

a pool is my must-have for triathlon training. i always say i wish my crossfit just had a pool so i’d be set, hah!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance January 28, 2013 at 3:22 am

I am huge on clean and available machines. I practice yoga outside of the gym so I do not participate in as many group exercises as I want, and just end up using the gym for cardio and weights.

Liz @ PauseTheMoment February 13, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I LOVE that gym and it is so nice inside! Def try their spinning classes which are awesome.