• Healthy Living Survey

January 23, 2013

Good morning!

I stumbled upon this “Healthy Living Survey” on Lindsay’s blog the other day. She published it back in July, but it looked like a fun post for Hump Day, so here we go!

1. What did you eat for breakfast?

Rudis gluten-free toast with Teddie peanut butter + sliced banana and a glass of half-caf iced coffee (decaf mixed with Molted Chocolate) with almond milk.

055

2. How much water do you drink a day?

I don’t keep track, but a lot. I drink a glass of iced coffee every morning and then water for the rest of the day. I rarely drink anything else… ok, well, besides wine on occasion.

3. What is your current favorite workout?

CrossFit!! And workouts with Murphy!

4. How many calories do you eat a day?

No idea. I don’t keep track anymore, not even a rough estimate. I eat based on my hunger, nutrients, colon health (sounds glamorous, right?), and what makes me happy.

5. What are your favorite healthy snacks?

I love snacks! Here are my favorites:

• Sliced banana with nut butter
    • Sweet Potato Wedges
    • Hummus or guacamole with rice crackers or raw veggies
    • Protein shakes made with iced coffee and almond milk
    • Cheese!
    • Greek yogurt with Paleo “granola”
    • Nuts
    • A spoonful of nut butter

And here are some of my favorite travel-friendly snacks!

083

6. What do you usually eat for lunch?

I usually eat leftovers from dinner the night before or whatever randomness we have in the refrigerator. It’s typically meat + veggies + healthy fat.

7. What is your favorite body part to strength train?

Upper body. I always had the weakest upper body, but now I’m finally making some gains at CrossFit, so it’s fun to see how far I’ve come with my upper body strength!

043

8. What is your least favorite body part to strength train?

My core. Hollow rocks are the bain of my existence.

9. What are your “bad” food cravings?

Ha! Bad, huh? I feel so naughty admitting my cravings! I love cake/cupcakes/cake pops, nachos, cheese, my Mom’s Apple Crisp, Doritos, truffle French fries, Sauvignon Blanc… just to name a few.

_MG_2223 (640x426)

10. Do you take vitamins or supplements?

Yep!

Daily: VSL#3, fish oil, and L-Glutamine.

A few times a week: GNC Hair, Skin & Nails Formula (GNC recently sent me some to try) and protein shakes made with either vanilla fitmixer or Cookies & Cream Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60.

11. How often do you eat out?

Usually, once a week. I love dining out!

12. Do you eat fast food?

Does Subway count? I {heart} Subway in a major way. If Subway counts as fast food, then I do.

13. Who is your biggest supporter?

Mal. He’s pretty rad.

024

14. Do you have a gym membership?

I have a CrossFit membership, but I’m still debating getting a gym membership for the winter months so I can run on the treadmill.

15. How many hours of sleep do you get a night?

I used to get by on 5 or 6 hours of sleep, but it’s a priority for me nowadays since my body heals itself when I’m asleep (please note: goal #1.) I usually get 8–9 hours now.

16. Do you have a “cheat” day?

Everyday is a “cheat” day for me!

17. Do you drink alcohol?

Yes, but I’ve been having a little too much fun lately (and my digestive system doesn’t appreciate it), so I’m going to cut back. I took shots during the Pats game on Saturday night. Who am I?!?

18. Do you have a workout buddy?

Yep! A whole bunch of them at CrossFit 781!

CrossFit781 (604x607)

And Kerrie, who beats me at every WOD we do together. But, one day, I’ll surprise her and beat her. Mwhahaha!

071

19. What is the best thing that has changed about your life since committing to a Healthy Lifestyle?

Ok, this is going to sound cheesy, but the best thing that has changed my life since committing to a healthy lifestyle is believing in myself. I’ve always been health-minded, but there were so many things that I didn’t think I could do or I was just afraid to do. Having more confidence in myself helped me achieve so many wonderful things over the years. Here are just some of them:

Run a marathon (or two).

Kick my sugar addiction.

Try CrossFit.

Climb a rope. < — Random, but I honestly thought I couldn’t do it!

Quit my full-time job to purse what I love.

Five years ago, if you told me I would do any of the things listed above, I would have thought you were crazy. But, learning what I’m capable of (both mentally and physically) motivates me and pushes me out of my comfort zone, so I continuously surprise myself.

20. What was the last healthy thing you did?

Gave Murphy a hug and then reminded him about our FIRST VISIT today!

pughug (563x750)

What’s the last healthy thing you did?

Amelia January 23, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I ran at the gym this morning and then when I went out to lunch with friends I ordered a delicious, healthy and filling salad.

Emily @ www.main-eats.com January 23, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Love this! I have done yoga the last two nights and will again tonight! Can’t get enough right now!

Kerry@TheAdventuresofZ&K January 23, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Upper body workouts are my favorite too! I’ve always been lacking in that department so it’s fun to challenge myself and see how far I’ve come. The last healthy thing I did today was chatting with co-workers regarding good-for-you dinner choices. We were gushing over homemade pizzas!

lauren January 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I ate the salad and greek yogurt I packed for lunch this morning! I’m saying “no” to the dark chocolate in my purse until I’m actually hungry for a square or two. Maybe with some clementines!

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles January 23, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Got up from my desk and took a strech/walk break….the less sitting in my day, the better

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit January 23, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Love that every day is a “cheat” day! There’s rarely a day that goes by that I don’t have chocolate in some form or fashion. :D

Tina January 24, 2013 at 5:05 pm

@Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit: Ditto! Or at least some sort of dessert! :)

erica January 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm

i worked out last night and ate veggies for breakfast….lol.

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com January 23, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I just went for a walk in the cold, dark and rain to hit my 10000 steps a day target!

Vicki January 23, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I just finished an afternoon snack…an apple :)

discorunner January 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I love this – I think I may just have to share the love by sharing my answers too!

Eating 4 Balance January 23, 2013 at 2:23 pm

The last healthy thing that I did was eat a bowl of chicken zoodle soup!

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 23, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Congrats on doing the things you thought you couldn’t do! Right now I have a weak upper body and have been working on it a lot. Last night I was showing off my tiny arm muscles to my boyfriend and he was impressed! haha makes me feel good and motivated about working my upper body more

Amanda Fraijo-Tobin (@FraijoManda) January 23, 2013 at 3:11 pm

LOVE this! I might have to do this too. I’m digging upper body workout as well as of late. The last healthy thing I did was get my workout in (like always!) then move onto daily tasks. :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance January 23, 2013 at 3:30 pm

your upper body is ridiculous Tina!! So amazing.

Claire C January 23, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Random question I have had since I started reading your blog in October. Do you not like hot coffee? I love iced coffee but when it is this cold (a whopping 12 degrees in Chicago today, I think Boston is pretty cold today too), I am all about the hot. Come to think of it, I only drink iced on a regular basis when it gets to be unbearably hot and humid in July and August and the thought of consuming something hot just makes me sweat.

Anyways, just thought I would be curious and ask! Hope you are having a good Wednesday, and thanks for inspiring and entertaining me everyday!

Tina January 23, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I like hot coffee, but I’d rather drink iced! :)

Claire C January 23, 2013 at 4:50 pm

@Tina: Gotcha! Thanks for answering!

Alicia January 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm

ugh, tina! I just had to toss the bottom of my banana! haha.

Anne @ eatcleaneatreal.com January 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I just threw out all the unprocessed food and chemicals in my house! Starting a clean eating challenge for 50 days…feel free to follow along at eatcleaneatreal.com!

Jill January 23, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Replaced my burger with a mushroom lovers veggie burger on top of spinich and made a salad ot of it!

Katherine January 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm
    Melissa @ A Girl Called Cake January 23, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Cooked a healthy dinner after getting back into the gym after a week off!

erica January 23, 2013 at 6:49 pm

totally OT, but, i was wondering about your reebok nano 2.0s…do they fit true to size or do they run small?

i can’t find anywhere that sells them so i was going to order them online but was conflicted by all the reviews on sizing.

Tina January 23, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I think they run true to size. I’m a 7 in regular shoes and wear a 7 Nano. Hope this helps! :)

erica January 23, 2013 at 8:23 pm

@Tina:

thanks! it does!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 23, 2013 at 6:57 pm

The last healthy thing I did was my myself a dinner of marinated baked tofu, roasted Brussels sprouts, and roasted sweet potato with almond butter for dipping!

Jody January 23, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Ran this morning in -10 degree temps. Only a quick 3, but I felt like a total badass! Haha

Tina January 23, 2013 at 7:55 pm

You are seriously badass for running in that!

Candice@allthingsyogi.com January 23, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Ran 4 miles at 6am!

Tina January 24, 2013 at 5:03 pm
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 23, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Last healthy thing I did is jog 30 minutes on my tread mill and ate left over Brussels sprouts for dinner! :) Greek yogurt for dessert!

Alyssa January 23, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I made myself a wonderfully healthy lunch for tomorrow and I made one for my wonderful husband as well! I love being able to give him healthy options throughout the day :-) Start with a healthy choice and you’re more likely to keep making healthy choices throughout the day!!

Katy January 23, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I drove to the gym after work today instead of driving home. :-)

Tina January 24, 2013 at 5:06 pm

@Katy: Nice! That’s more than half the battle! :)

Katie @ skinnyminniemoves January 23, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Making apple butter! And I also did my hour workout today after a long 11 hour day of work. It was cardio day with abs!

MY FAVORITE workout is shoulder work. Love shoulders

TorontoRunner January 23, 2013 at 9:10 pm

this was great! :D

I’m a subway loooover as well.
    I also neglect Mr.Core too much and would much rather do strength training on upper body!

I need to drink more water. Much, much more!

Meredith January 23, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I’ve committed to strength training 3 days a week mixed with cardio, instead of just only cardio. I agree, it is fun to see how much stronger and fitter you get over time when you’re consistent! Love your pictures with you and murphy, dogs are the best!

RC @ Just Add Cayenne January 24, 2013 at 12:14 am

Great survey and great answers….thanks for sharing! I’ve been following your blog several weeks now and have really enjoyed reading. I share a lot of posts with my wife to show her your awesome Pug, Murphy, and for fun WOD’s to try. I’m working on getting her into CrossFit and so far so good.

You’re answer about becoming a full time blogger motivated me to try and start blogging again. I had kind of dropped off in December and want to get back to it but with a few changes. Keep up the great posts and hope you have a great day.

Oh yeah, the last healthy thing I did today was let my wife, Kelley, know I love her. I’m sure you, as a wife, understand just how healthy that is for any relationship!!

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 24, 2013 at 12:33 am

Meditate! A healthy lifestyle starts with a healthy, balanced mind, at least for me!

Erika January 24, 2013 at 1:01 am

Last healthy thing I did was eat some Pumpkin Pancakes. I used the recipe from Practical Paleo and they tasted really good.

Tina January 24, 2013 at 5:04 pm

@Erika: I still need to try those myself. Happy to hear they’re good! :)

Azzina January 24, 2013 at 6:15 am

Your blog stand inspiration for me. Thanks for your post and keep on posting.

She Rocks Fitness January 24, 2013 at 10:47 am

I’m about to tackle the “dreadmill” and a at-home workout for hopefully 75 minutes. I need a good strength training workout after battling this cold and doing 3 consecutive days of yoga. Time to build those muscles back up. Stay warm! XO

Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen January 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm

You’re such a fit inspiration! I loved Crossfit when I tried their free classes. That’s awesome that your upper body is getting stronger. Love that feeling. Also, glad to know someone else likes to snack on plain pb or almond butter! :D