• Goals for 2013

January 2, 2013

Hi, friends!

Since I recently reviewed my goals for 2012, I thought I’d blog about my goals for 2013. I’m not much of a resolution person (a year is a long time!), but I’m all about goals! With that said, here are my goals for 2013!

My goals for 2013:

Keep my colon healthy

I know it’s sort of gross, but this is my #1 goal for 2013. If you don’t have your health, you have nothing. I spent the majority of 2012 trying all sorts of (sometimes crazy) things to heal myself. It was pretty much a roller coaster ride to health, but I’m getting closer to figuring out what works and what doesn’t work. I know I can’t control the disease, but I’m going to try my hardest to be kind to my body and do whatever I can to stay healthy and flare-free.

IMG_1410

Get organized

An article in Real Simple recently inspired Mal and me to get organized in 2013. Ok, we’re already pretty organized, but we want to be super organized with labels, containers, and all that jazz. We’d basically just like to simplify, which means getting rid of things we don’t use and clearing the clutter from our lives, so we made of a list of areas/cabinets/drawers/stuff in our house that we want to organize, and we plan to tackle a couple of projects each month throughout the year.

real simple organization challenge

Throw my sister an amazing baby shower.

My first niece or nephew will be born in June, so I want to throw my sister an awesome baby shower. She deserves it, and I want to celebrate her and the arrival of my new niece/nephew to the fullest! I’ve already started planning (via Pinterest) and can’t wait to really get going on it!

babyshower
    [image source]

Go on one date night each month

Mal and I tend to overextend ourselves (we only had two weekends without set plans in 2012), so we decided to make it a point to plan one special date night with just us each month. We love going out to dinner, but we also want to mix it up with some other activities. To make it a little more fun, we’re going to alternate who plans our date night each month, so it’s a surprise for the other person. Mal offered to take January, so I’m excited to see what he plans!

Try surfing

After my paddleboarding adventures this summer, I decided I want to try surfing someday. Mal and I are going to Hawaii in February (more on this later!), so I figure it’s a great place to finally give it a try!

Mimi_surfing
    [image source]

Try (indoor) rock climbing

I’m actually sort of surprised I’ve never tried rock climbing. It looks like a lot of fun and I love new fitness activities, so I definitely want to try it this year.

indoor-rock-climbing-2
    [image source]

Rx Fran

It seriously might kill me, but I really want to Rx Fran this year. It’s still a huge goal for me, but, hopefully, I’ll get there in 2013.

Fran WOD
    [image source]

Listen to NPR daily

I used to listen to NPR nonstop, but somehow I dropped the habit. My goal for 2013 is to tune in at least once a day (if not more), so I know what is going on in the world!

NationalPublicRadio
    [image source]

Learn to Make Sushi

Learning to make sushi has been on my Life’s To Do List for years now, so I’m finally committing to it. Maybe Mal and I will take a class for one of our date nights?

sushi2
    [image source]

Dinner

Mal offered to cook dinner last night, so I kicked up my feet and watched TV while he worked in the kitchen. Most nights we tackle dinner together, but I’m more than happy to let him take the reins whenever he offers!

015

Of course, the pug wasn’t far from the action.

017

On the menu: Gingery Beef and Broccoli, which is one of my favorite recipes from 2012. So delicious!

022

For dessert, I made some mint-flavored hot cocoa for Mal and me.

026

Mal really liked this variety, but I didn’t think it was chocolaty enough. I like really rich cocoa and this one was just regular old hot-chocolate-in-a-packet with mint flavor. It did, however, smell amazing!

029

Health News & Views

It’s that time of the year again! Time to make some New Year’s resolutions! If they’re part of your yearly tradition, you may or may not have succeeded in the past. As with any goal setting, there are a number of things you can do help achieve them, which often begins with setting realistic resolutions. Here’s how you can go about creating your own resolution, and one that’s logical, doable, and one you can see yourself accomplishing in 2013!

The Secrets to Realistic New Year’s Resolutions

What are some of your goals for 2013?

P.S. A reader sent me this video the other day: 200 Pound Weight Loss. It’s a beautiful and inspiring weight loss story, which shows that just about anyone can do CrossFit. It brought tears to my eyes. Definitely check it out!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 2, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Great goals! My main goal is to be healthier and exercise more!! I love your goals and i am so jealous your going to Hawaii!! I can’t to hear about the trip!!

Herbivore Triathlete January 2, 2013 at 8:06 pm

My goals include running a sub-25 minutes 5K, finishing a half marathon and completing an Olympic distance triathlon.

Tina January 2, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Nice goals for 2013! :)

Nicole January 2, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I have quite a few goals that I have been working on already and would like to continue in 2013.
    – qualify for Boston marathon
    – do unassisted pullups in a WOD
    – cut back on booze
    – get back to healthy weight I feel good at and stay there (already lost the weight, now just need to maintain it)
    – be more spontaneous, less routine

Tina January 2, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Great goals! :)

Michelle January 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Happy new year! as for the sushi class…try Sea To You Sushi in Brookline !!

Tina January 2, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Thanks for the recommendation!! :)

Danica @ It's Progression January 2, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Love that one of your goals is one date night a month! I may have to talk to my husband and make that a goal for us too :) One of my goals for 2013 is to try at least 5 new-to-me fruits and vegetables.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail January 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I’m obsessed with organizing-I think I need that issue! And, Fran will be my bitch too–after this baby. I’m just trying to maintain strength now–not the time for me to PR :/ I think you will get Fran too!

caren January 2, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I also made a point of committing to listening to more KPCC (our local NPR station). We’re big supporters, and I feel like I’ve lost touch with what’s going on in the world since I’m not commuting to work anymore.

Um, does your husband do workshops on how to get excited about organizing and making dinner? My husband could use the training :-/

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 2, 2013 at 10:05 pm

These sound like great goals. Again, I love the fact that you set goals for yourself as opposed to making resolutions. Keep up the awesome work! :)

Wendy Irene January 2, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Happy New Year, Tina and congrats to your sister!!!! I am so excited for you both :) Sending positive vibes for a great 2013 xoxo

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings January 2, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I love your goals for 2013! I made a Pinterest board and one of my big things is organization as well :) Sushi is so fun to make at home!

TorontoRunner January 2, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I love your goals!
    I tried indoor rock climbing a couple of times – surprisingly, it was pretty fun. I thought I’d hate it!
    sushi is one of my fave things eeeever, i wish I could make it too!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance January 3, 2013 at 12:28 am

Indoor rock climbing is SO fun and such a great workout! Can’t wait to hear about Hawaii.

Kayla January 3, 2013 at 5:37 am

that is my #1 goal for 2013 as well: without digestive health and equilibriuim, i am not a happy camper and all i want is to be happy, stomachache-free and healthy! cheers to 2013 and digestive health. it’s a work in progress, always!

Ashlee January 3, 2013 at 8:08 am

My long time love and I are also having a baby and due in July, so my goal is to have a healthy and fit pregnancy and to maintain a healthier lifestyle to be a good role-model for our future baby bear.

Also, for some really good hot chocolate, Land o’ Lakes has the BEST!!! http://www.landolakes.com/Products/CocoaAndCappuccino/
    Archer Farms at Target does too (peanut butter hot chocolate has the best so far).

Tina January 3, 2013 at 8:19 am

@Ashlee: Thanks for the hot chocolate recommendations! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 3, 2013 at 8:14 am

These are some awesome goals! Some of mine are to cook my way through my kitchen bucket list, do my physio exercises every day so I can heal my knee, run in a 5k race, and get a dietetic internship!

De @ Cooking for the Other Half January 3, 2013 at 8:16 am

Great resolutions! I am also dying to learn to make sushi….

My 2013 goal: Eliminate all artificial sugars & other chemicals from my diet….

Stephanie @ A Girl and Her Manny January 3, 2013 at 9:38 am

My goals are to take my yoga practice to the next level and hopefully run a half marathon!

My BF and I bought a Groupon to RockSpot in Hyde Park. It’s an indoor rock climbing gym, and it’s A LOT of fun. It’s a little bit of a hike getting there, but we thought it was worth it… and it’s a killer work out too (especially for your fore arms and grip strength).

Tina January 3, 2013 at 9:40 am

@Stephanie @ A Girl and Her Manny: Thanks for the suggestion! I wonder if the Groupon is still good?

Stephanie @ A Girl and Her Manny January 3, 2013 at 9:47 am

@Tina: I just checked back in my email, and the one we bought was a Gilt City deal, which is expired. But I’ll keep my eyes open for you!

Tina January 3, 2013 at 9:49 am

@Stephanie @ A Girl and Her Manny: Aww, bummer. Thanks for the checking! :)

Vicki January 3, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I’m a little slow and haven’t made any official goals other than continue to run a race every month and complete in a 28 mile superhike in September. Like you though my sister is due with her first child this June, and I’ll be a first time aunt too! June 24th (or around there), can’t get here soon enough!!

Zoe January 3, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Ok i have a funny/ cool story about rock climbing. I’m an outdoors leader at my college and we take groups of freshmen on a week long trip before orientation of their freshman year! Neat right? Well as leaders we run the whole trip before we run it with the freshmen so we know what to expect. My first year leading we got to the rock climbing section and as a shorter person I was not interested. Another short girl went before me and she basically said it was miserable. But we really emphasize kissing the carabeaner at the top as a goal setting thing. So, as leaders it was kind of an unspoken rule that we had to finish- except for one or two seniors of course ;) so I tried it out and oh man was that route HARD!! It was really challenging and I got frustrated while doing it. I did however finish.
    So this past year when we ran it again I warned my Co-lead that I did not like rock climbing and that was how it was. He insisted that I do it and really got our kids into pressure me to! So I had to. And you know what, it was do-able and exhilarating! It was hard, sure, but I was able to do it with no major issues. So long story short I highly recommend rock climbing!

Jenny January 3, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Another yummy hot chocolate is Trader Joe’s sipping chocolate:)

MelanieF January 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm

To run my first 5K in June and lose another 25 pounds (I lost 25 pounds in 2012). That video is really inspiring! Thank you for posting it.

Kelly@BalancedDaily January 4, 2013 at 10:57 am

Great resolutions, I think vague things like “trying something new” are usually unachievable because you don’t really know how to go about it- but having something specific in mind like trying surfing is awesome. I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii, and it is definitely the perfect place to cross that goal off your list. Also, I’m obsessed with Pinterest and am actually kind of scared for when I have to plan something (like a baby or bridal shower) because there are just way too many good ideas.

Allison @ Life's a Bowl January 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Great list of goals! 2012 was a pretty awesome year so 2013 has a lot to live up to but I’m optimistic :) This year [as cliche as they may be] my goals are to: live in the moment, love with my whole heart, learn from experiences, and to listen to my body. Taking care of my health [and avoiding flare-ups] and spending time with my husband and puppy are high on my priority list!

Andrew Halfacre January 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hi
    Great post – love the pictures.
    Just a thought – I’ve noticed some clients giving up on the whole goals thing because their stuck in that “I don’t really know what I want” mindset. Here’s a great book that’s a real help if you struggle to know what you really want:

Andrew