• Fast or Strong?

January 5, 2013

Would you rather be really fast or really strong?

2013-01-04_2111

I’ll let you think about it while I recap my eats from yesterday. How’s that sound?

Breakfast

My day started with a French Toast Breakfast Scramble in a jar (FTBSIAJ) with extra Teddie peanut butter. Even though there’s peanut butter on the sides and bottom of the jar, I always add more. Not joking, I probably eat 4-5 tablespoons (2-3 big scoops) of nut butter every time I have a Breakfast Scramble, and I don’t feel completely satisfied unless I eat that much. I know, I’m a nut butter freak, and I’m totally okay with it.

037

I also drank a glass of iced Dandy Blend with my breakfast.

038

Workout

After breakfast, I finished my Health post for next week and then headed to CrossFit for a workout. Unintentionally, I dressed like a ninja and wore all black.

CrossFit Ninja

The WOD:

Elizabeth CrossFit WOD

“Elizabeth”

21-15-9

Power Cleans and Ring Dips

We did this workout back in August, so I was excited to see whether or not I improved. I didn’t check my time in my CrossFit journal before the start of the WOD (total rookie mistake), so I picked a weight for my bar that I knew I could string together multiple Power Cleans in a row. I used 75 pounds and a small (#1) band for the Ring Dips and finished “Elizabeth” in 6:11, which was almost 2 minutes faster than my previous time with the same weight and band. Sweet!

Even though I knocked off some serious time, I couldn’t help but think whether I could have used more weight for “Elizabeth.” When I chose my weight for the Power Cleans, 75 pounds felt like a good, challenging weight. But, I know if I had looked at my journal and saw I did the same weight the last time I did “Elizabeth,” I would have added another 5 or 10 pounds more. I think I could have kept good form with more weight, but I know my time wouldn’t have been as fast.

Thinking about yesterday’s WOD made me wonder whether I’d rather be really fast or really strong—like superhero fast or superhero strong. Of course, I’d want to be fast and strong, but if I had to pick, I’m not sure I could decide.

I love PR-ing at road races

I love feeling powerful when I do Olympic lifts

I love seeing my name on the leaderboard for Annie

I love beating my 1 rep maxes

See, it’s a tough decision!

gunshow

Ok, back to my eats!

Lunch

After CrossFit, I came home and refueled with a protein shake made with vanilla fitmixer, Dandy Blend, and almond milk. Once I had a chance to shower and get dressed, I reheated a bunch of leftovers from the refrigerator for lunch:

Chicken, broccoli, and feta pizza on a cauliflower crust.

067

Sweet Potato Wedges and Cheesy Cauliflower Puree.

065

It was a delicious and nutritious lunch!

068

Snack

A few hours later, I started to get hungry again, so I sliced up a pear as an afternoon snack.

073

Dinner

When dinnertime rolled around, I had a major craving for cheese, so I steamed some collard greens, cooked up some chicken and peas, and melted cheese on top. It was a random mix, but, oh, so tasty, and it totally satisfied my cheese craving.

082

After dinner came dark chocolate…

084

And then peanuts. I was super snacky in the evening and ate a crapload of both, which means I probably should have eaten a bigger dinner. Oops.

087

Would you rather be really fast or really strong?

P.S. My friends at Fit Bottomed Girls recently launched a new site called Fit Bottomed Eats—check it out!

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 5, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Fast! I love competition when running and I would love to just run past everyone! Strong is good too but I wouldn’t want to be overly strong and look like a body builder

Sara @ sarasmiles January 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm

After thinking about it, probably strong. I am a really slow runner, but I don’t mind being slow. But when I can’t do a certain amount of push-ups on my toes I feel like a weakling. I hate feeling like a weakling!

Charmaine January 5, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Hi Tina. Just wondering if you have any tips to increase my rowing times during crossfit WODS? Thanks

Tina January 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I’m actually not the best rower. Maybe ask your coach(es) for some tips? Sorry I’m not more help!

Katie January 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Really strong. WITHOUT a DOUBT!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 5, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I’d rather be strong!!! The only time I want to be fast is when there is a sale! lol

meghan January 5, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I would definitely rather be really fast!

Katherine January 5, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Wow, girl – you’ve got some muscles :)

Amanda @KnotLiving January 5, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Hmm..I guess it depends on the future, really. If the zombie apocalypse is a sure thing I’d rather be superhero fast. Punching a zombie just won’t do any real damage, but I can sure outrun them.

Tina January 5, 2013 at 9:48 pm

GOOD point!

Lori January 5, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Strong!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food January 5, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I love those pomegranate bites! They are SO good!!!

Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny January 5, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I would say fast

AJ January 5, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Strong.

Tina, great progress: is this the fittest you have ever been? Do you credit Crossfit with your high fitness levels?

Tina January 6, 2013 at 8:16 am

Oh, yea, definitely! CrossFit put my fitness at a different level!

Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 5, 2013 at 11:27 pm

that pizza looks so good (..and you totally made me just want a pear!).. i think i’d rather be really strong :)

Julia January 5, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Fast! Fastfastfast! I’m pretty slow, though, and have always been reasonably strong for a ladyfolk (minus pushup ability).
    I really wish I were faster. If anyone has tips besides speed intervals, lay ‘em on me! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks January 5, 2013 at 11:59 pm

I’d rather be really strong!

Terri January 6, 2013 at 1:20 am

Hi Tina!

I have been following your blog for about 6 months now and I just wanted to let you know it rocks! I love all your healthy tips and recipes, especially your 2 ingredient pancake which I eat just about everyday :) I love reading your posts and want to thank-you for such an awesome blog!
    Terri- South Africa

Lisa January 6, 2013 at 1:45 am

Really strong, without a doubt! I’m a fellow CrossFitter and I absolutely love breaking my 1 rep max, or getting a new strength skill, or RXing a WOD. Plus, I love looking strong. Muscles are sexy! :)

Candice@allthingsyogi.com January 6, 2013 at 2:18 am

really fast, I love running. enough said.

Angela January 6, 2013 at 3:00 am

I’m thinkingggggg fast. I’ve always wanted to be fast!

Stephanie January 6, 2013 at 8:03 am

I’d rather be fast :)

Beth January 6, 2013 at 8:33 am

Fast because to be super fast you have to have strength so I’d get the best of both.

Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement January 6, 2013 at 8:41 am

Tough one, but I would probably saw fast over strong, but I think the two are very related. Both are something to be proud of…bodies can do amazing things in a short time.

Elizabeth (or “Elisabeth” in South Africa) was the first WOD where I really saw an improvement in strength, so I can totally related to the feelings of doing this workout a couple month down the line.

Katie @ A Full Plate January 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I think I’d like to be strong over being fast. I was just talking to a friend last about how much I love CrossFit because it makes me feel strong!

Alisa January 6, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Strong, hand’s down!

She Rocks Fitness January 6, 2013 at 5:44 pm

That’s a tough questions and I was thinking about it a lot reading through your post…I like running more than strength training, so I’m going to say fast. Ugh I keep changing mind. HA! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday…

Connie @ Livin' Lean January 6, 2013 at 6:02 pm

That is a tough question, but I think I’d have to go with strong! I love lifting and the feeling of getting stronger..such great satisfaction! :)

Diana January 6, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I am with you, it is a tough decision. I do like to PR at races too, but I agree with others on strength. I do not like it when I can’t complete a full set of something i.e. pull ups or push ups.

lexi January 6, 2013 at 6:27 pm

strong, duh?!?!! used to be “fast” but A- my body is better built for strength and after crossfitting for 2 years— get my PR’s up, weights up and HEAVY is amazing to me…. looking to deadlift more than 300 soon, squat in to the 200’s and get past 120 lb on my cleans! in time.. in time.. commitment, practice, tracking and PATIENCE!

Lee January 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Fast!

Tramisa January 6, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Fast, because that’s where the majority of the points come from on my annual fitness assessment.

Jenn January 6, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for the shout-out, Tina! And I definitely want to be strong AND fast, but I probably go strong…both are pretty awesome though. :)

Grace January 6, 2013 at 8:44 pm

This is a tough one! I just started running, in early 2012 – signed up & completed my first 5K over the summer and totally fell in love with running…..so with that said, I’d love to PR and get faster – buuuut I’d also love to have more muscle definition and be stronger.
    Umm, so if I had to pick one – I guess it would be, strong!

Meghan@themeghamix January 7, 2013 at 11:54 am

Lol…I didn’t realize I was hungry until reading this post. Now I want cauliflower pizza!

Strong for sure. If something happened and I could never run again in my life but could still get into the gym and lift serious weight, I would be happy.

Lauren January 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I realize I’m not really answering the question, but I’d rather be really flexible :) Would certainly help with yoga! (Though I suppose being really strong would help with that too).

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen January 8, 2013 at 9:07 am

I bought a bag of those dark chocolate pomegranite seeds a couple weeks ago – sooo delicious & so addicting!

I usually find that the stronger I am, the faster I’m cycling and running. So, I’d choose strong :)

Jade Marie January 8, 2013 at 9:38 am

Fast! I’m always been more of an endurance runner and I’ve never been able to get much speed. My 6ft 2 husband however (he’s got legs like a bloody grasshopper!) manages to lope along quite easily at sprinting pace – I’d love to be able to do that! I’m trying some HIIT workouts to try and get a little speedier. JM

Herbivore Triathlete January 8, 2013 at 11:07 am

I don’t want to have to choose, I want to be superhero fast AND superhero strong. I want them both!! Which reminds me, I really need to start focusing more on strength building exercise and less on running/spin/swim.

Schiff January 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Personally, I think I would prefer to be strong, so I can take on challenges while they come my way. Being healthy and strong can be easily accomplished by working out each day and eating the right foods that are good for the body. Thanks for sharing your healthy tips and recipes!