• Cousins’ Dinner

January 20, 2013

Hi, friends! Happy Sunday!

Last night, I went to my cousin Heidi’s house for dinner and drinks. She and her husband, Matt, just bought a house, so they invited Mal and me, her sister, Meeghan, and her boyfriend, and my sister and her husband over to see their new place.

IMG_8778-001

The evening started with a wonderful spread of appetizers.

IMG_8742-001

IMG_8744-001

Roasted garlic —> mashed into a paste + olive oil = amazing!!!

IMG_8743-001

There was also all sorts of drinks—beer, wine, and hard cider. (I got friendly with Kim Crawford.)

IMG_8754-001

And a couple of dogs!

IMG_8745-001

IMG_8748-001

Kisses for Meeghan!

IMG_8751-001

Baby bump! My sister finds out the sex of the baby next Thursday!

IMG_8747-001

For dinner, we had salad with roasted chickpeas and homemade Caesar dressing.

IMG_8756-001

And baked spaghetti squash with homemade turkey meatballs.

IMG_8758-001

The sauce was made with fresh tomatoes and basil from Heidi and Matt’s garden. Mmm! So good!

IMG_8761-001

Don’t you love the way Heidi and Matt served the spaghetti squash!?

IMG_8766-001

For dessert, I made No Bake Caramel Cheesecake Bars from PaleOMG. A couple of my friends from CrossFit raved about these bars, so I just had to give them a try myself. They were so easy to make—just blend the various ingredients, layer in a dish, and freeze. OMG, delicious!

IMG_8770-001

They were a huge hit with everyone last night.

IMG_8773-001

Do you have a big family or a small family?

My mom has 7 brothers and sisters, so family get-togethers are always fun and a little bit crazy!

TorontoRunner January 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

oooo how exciting about your sister!
    so much good food:)
    I have a pretty small and tight-knit family!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More January 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Family gatherings are the best!

My parents have three siblings each. And I have four brothers. Our family gatherings are often and huge! Won’t want it any other way.

Katherine January 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm

This food looks amazing!

I have 3 sisters and 5 brothers! Love ‘em to death!!!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit January 21, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Oh man, those look amazing!!

Kelly@BalancedDaily January 21, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I have a somewhat small family which makes holidays easier but sometimes less exciting that some of my friends families. I’ve always had a dream about marrying into a large Italian family or something (although that would probably be a lot of pressure). Its so exciting that you’re sister is going to find out the sex of her baby soon. I have one sister too and I can’t wait to be an aunt!

Rebekah January 21, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I have a medium sized family, but they’re all in WA state and I’m in Georgia so I only get to see them about every other year. I miss them like crazy though! We’re pretty big on get togethers for major occasions, and I miss that. I do get together with my husband’s family, here in GA, but they get together on a lot smaller scale then my family does.

Julie January 22, 2013 at 1:06 am

Those bars look incredible!! I’m going to have to try them.

Miranda January 22, 2013 at 8:05 am

Just me and my brother, but we have both recently gotten married and he already has two kids so our small family get togethers are getting bigger…this last weekend I went home and we had a family breakfast (my mom is an amazing cook and made breakfast enchiladas with ground turkey…they were well amazing) that was pretty surreal with the kids running around and my mom and uncle being called mema and pepa.

Amelia January 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm

It’s me and my two younger sisters. We also grew up close to our cousins’ on my Mom’s side so all together there are 5 of us, all girls, lots of fun!