• Computer Problems Make Me Mental

January 11, 2013

Today has been a fabulous day for a lot of reasons, but one of them is not my laptop. More on that a minute. Let’s first recap the good parts of my day so far!

Breakfast

This morning, I brought back my favorite French Toast Breakfast Scramble and added it to an almost-empty Teddie peanut butter jar. It was so, so good. I’m glad that I tried some new breakfasts this week, but I’m a forever-fan of the French Toast Breakfast Scramble. It’s delicious, nutritious, and satisfying… a perfect way to start my day! I also drank a glass of decaf coffee with almond milk. (The green water bottle in the background is VSL#3, which I drink morning and night.)

033-001

Workout

After breakfast, I headed to CrossFit for a workout. I hadn’t been since Monday, so I was itching for a good WOD!

photo (2) (640x640)

Today’s WOD:

Strength

Back Squat
    20RM
    Take 5-6 sets warming up with sets of 5, adding weight each set. When you find a weight that you could get for 10 reps, try to perform 20 reps.

Met Con

AMRAP 8
    10 C2B Pull-ups
    10 OH Walking Lunges (5 ea)
    10 Burpees

Rx: (45, 25)
    L2: (45, 25) regular pull-ups
    L1: (25, 15) band assisted pull-ups
    Beg: (15, 10) jumping C2B pull-ups with 2-second negative

Kerrie was at class this morning, so we worked together on the Back Squats. We started with 95 pounds for the warm-up and worked our way up to 125 pounds for 20 reps. The goal was to pick a challenging weight and push ourselves to get through all 20 reps without re-racking the bar. You could stop and rest with the bar on your back, but you couldn’t put it back on the rack. I’ve never done a strength workout with high reps and super heavy weight, so this workout was tough for me. Thankfully, Kerrie and my coach were cheering me on the whole time, so I managed to get through all of the reps (in one piece).

The WOD… well, let’s just say it was a sneaky one. It didn’t look too tough, but, man, the combination of exercises was killer. Burpees to Pull-ups… brutal. My arms, my legs, my lungs… everything was hurtin’ during this WOD. I did L2 and finished 4 + 6 (4 rounds + 6 pull-ups) in 8 minutes.

photo (3) (560x750)

I’m a chalk monster.

012 (563x750)

After CrossFit, I headed to Best Buy to have the Geek Squad look at my laptop. Several months ago, it just randomly stopped connecting to the wireless internet at our house. I have a desktop that I use at home (and connects to the wireless without issues) and my laptop works at Starbucks, the airport, and friends’ houses when I travel, so I never bothered to get it fixed.

Last week, it finally started to bug me that I couldn’t use my laptop at home (and I’ve tried everything I can think of to fix it myself), so I chatted with a Geek Squad agent online. After an explanation of the problem and a few questions, he determined that the “DNS needed to be flushed.” He said something about DOS and walking me through it, but then suggested that I take it to a Best Buy location to have someone look at it in person. Good call!

photo (1)

At Best Buy, I explained to one of the Geek Squad agents what was going on with my laptop, and, 5 minutes later, he said he had fixed the problem. Sweet! Quick and painless.

As soon as I got home, I tested out my laptop… and it still doesn’t work. Grrr! Computer problems make me mental. Seriously. I get so frustrated when things don’t work properly. Remember my issues with Ecto? I wanted to throw my computer through a window! Anyway, the guy (geek?) at Best Buy said, if my laptop still didn’t work at home, I could hardwire it to the internet so a Geek Squad agent could “take over” my computer and fix it, soooooo that’s my next step.

Snack

After Best Buy, I went grocery shopping, so I was starving by the time I got home. I bought some honey-roasted peanut butter from Whole Foods the other day (I think I like theirs better than Fresh Market’s), so I ate a few spoonfuls to take the edge off my hunger until I was able to eat lunch.

038

Lunch

On the menu for lunch: a cheeseburger with green beans and mashed sweet potatoes with Curry Spice Blend mixed in.

041

The mashed sweet potatoes were so delicious, I went back for a second serving and added a scoop of peanut butter to the mix. Mmm! So good!

047

Mac or PC?

P.S. Be sure to enter my giveaway to win all sorts of fun fitness gear!

kirsten January 11, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Mac all the way!

Jen @ Jens Best Life January 11, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Definitely Mac! I’ve found I have way fewer problems with their laptops. However, I’m not an Apple Addict. I don’t have to have all their products, and if I found a PC that could be as good as my Mac, I’d consider switching. I’ve just found that Macs work better for me, for now.

Anne January 11, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hi Tina! My sister had the same problem with her laptop. We once took it to Best Buy to have it “fixed” because it was not connecting to the Internet at home while other laptops and iPads were. Well Geek Squad looked at us like we were idiots bc the laptop was fine and connecting with no problems at Best Buys. Turns out the problem was with the Internet provider (Verizon). The agent said the Internet connection was “congested and had to be reset and clear.” The agent fixed the problem in a few minutes and now my sister’s lappy connects to the Internet. Hope this helps!

Tina January 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Thank you! I will try that!

Fred January 11, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Don’t believe the hype!!! MAC or windows its the same you may have less problems with MAC but in the long run you break even since you pay ALLOT more for a simple laptop that you will eventually replace in 2 years. I will take a look for free and tell you what I think, it be better then a geek squad person who is just working a 9 to 9 shift. let me know :)

jen January 11, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Mac!!! 100%

Luv What You Do January 11, 2013 at 9:11 pm

OMG…that honey roasted PB from Whole Foods is my all time favorite. I LOVE it! I could eat the entire plastic container and I have before…ha ha!

Tina January 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Oooh, yes, me too! Finished the container today!

SkinCandyVitamins January 11, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I’m a Mac girl…

You have to try rawtella, like nutella but raw I think you would love it. It’s is better warm though. Also the Marantha Dark Chocolate almond butter, yum!!

I love your blog and your pug… Thanks for sharing your stories!!

<3 Nicole

Tina January 12, 2013 at 11:38 am

@SkinCandyVitamins: Thanks for the sweet comment! :)

Alisa January 12, 2013 at 12:13 am

Mac all the way! I was always a PC user before, but I don’t think I’d ever go back.

Deb January 12, 2013 at 2:22 am

PC. Macs are way tougher to upgrade and way more expensive for what’s basically the same machine.

DNS flushing is super easy to do yourself- takes about ten seconds. Google it if you’re curious. I’ve done it many times.

GeekSquad… I’ve honestly heard more about them destroying people’s computers and causing horrible problems more than I have them fixing the issue they came in with.

Try googling your issue. You may just find the solution without spending any more money.

Sally - only gluten free baking January 12, 2013 at 5:57 am

We have both. I loved the Macbook but the battery died after two years and needs to be plugged in all the time now. I still use it for going through photos and editing videos, mainly because I can’t be bothered learning how to use a different software program. Honey roasted peanut butter sounds amazing, I’ve never heard of it before.

Megan Infantino January 12, 2013 at 7:12 am

MAC!! My husband and I bought a MacBook Pro for each of us several years ago and we love it. I’ll never go back to a PC. Never.

Madison January 12, 2013 at 8:26 am

MAC all the way for me…once you go MAC you never go back. haha just kidding! Both PC and Macs are good but I prefer Macs because it is so much more user friendly and easy to navigate. :)

Alissa Jo January 12, 2013 at 9:28 am

MAC 100%. My entire family has converted over. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a PC again. I also have an iPod for running and iPhone for my cell. I don’t have the same tech problems that I used to with my PC.

Emma January 12, 2013 at 11:24 am

I’ve been seeing your French toast scramble on your blog and I finally tried it today–yum!!! Thank you!

Tina January 12, 2013 at 11:35 am

@Emma: Yay! So glad you liked it! :)

Katie January 12, 2013 at 11:51 am

MAC definitely. Ever since I switched to a huge glorious iMAC I’ve never had one single problem (knock on wood). I’ve had it over a year and it’s amazing. Will never go back to stupid windows or a PC

Sarahf January 13, 2013 at 2:51 am

I know nothing about computers, but I am hugely entertained by the fact that the Geek Squad actually exists. I thought the Nerd Herd in Chuck was so cool! Hope it gets fixed soon.

Lori January 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I want to get fit by 50.

Mark January 14, 2013 at 9:05 am

Macs at home, definitely. For my day job I support hundreds of PCs and I used to go home after work and have to fix the PCs at home too, after my kids and wife had broken them. I swapped everything at home to Mac and since then I come home and relax. No more home machine problems, and the kids and wife are happy too :-)

Mary Kay January 14, 2013 at 10:05 am

My fitness goals are to workout on a more regular basis, strengthen my core more and to be able to do pull ups from a full hanging position as opposed to the little boost I give myself now.

Shelby January 14, 2013 at 10:20 am

One of my goals for the year is to gain more muscle. I mostly lift lighter weights, so I want to slowly start increasing the weight!