• Active by Old Navy: Affordable, Functional, and Cute

January 7, 2013

Good morning! Happy Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was low-key, but wonderful just the same.

Breakfast

I started Sunday with a piece of delicious French Toast Bake topped with strawberries and maple syrup. I later ended up adding a couple of scoops of peanut butter for some staying power.

021 (563x750)

Holy yum!

004 (750x563)

Workout

After breakfast, I headed to open gym with Mal. Our box did “Barbara” on Monday, but we missed it and were pretty bummed about it, so we decided to do it together yesterday.

I was recently given a $50 gift card to buy some workout clothes from the Active by Old Navy line, so I wore my new gear to open gym. I went shopping at Old Navy on Saturday and ended up choosing the Women’s Compression Capris in Retro Violet and the Women’s Active Seamless V-Neck Tank in Carbon .

Old_Navy_Active_Women's_Gear_

The Compression Capris were comfy, flattering, and moved well during my workout (yay!), but the main reason I picked them was the color. The Retro Violet was actually a heathered purple, which is a trend I especially love to see on workout gear. I love that it’s a little different. I mean, ALL of the workout capris that I currently own are black, so I was excited to see some color.

The Seamless V-Neck Tank was made of a soft, smooth, and fitted moisture-wicking fabric and had a build-in shelf bra, which was actually a lot more supportive than I expected. (I always pair a sports bra with these kinds of tops, but I could probably wear this one alone for a low-impact workout.) Since it was a compression top, it had a nice, snug fit and the extra straps definitely helped to keep things in place. Just a quick note on the sizing: It seemed like these tanks ran a little small since they’re compression gear. I ended up buying a medium, which fit me perfectly.

050 (750x563)

With my $50 gift card, I planned to buy the Women’s Compression Capris and the Women’s Active Seamless V-Neck Tank, but then I discovered the Women’s Active Stretch Pullover, which I just could not leave behind. I instantly fell in love.

Women's_Active_Stretch_Pullover

Check out the collar!

027 (750x563)

And the thumb holes! I also loved that the body was extra long, so I didn’t have to worry about it riding up during my warm-up.

030 (750x563)

I was sold and had to have it. I planned to buy it with my own money, but when the cashier rang everything up, all three pieces were on sale. Woohoo! Nothing that I picked cost more than $15! And starting today, Active by Old Navy is 40% off. Hop on that! For the price, Old Navy really does have some great workout gear.

Ok, back to the WOD…

“Barbara” is no joke!

023 (563x750)

I knew I’d never make it through 100 (!!!) unassisted pull-ups and 150 push-ups, so I decided to do Scaling Option #3, which was 15 unassisted pull-ups (instead of 20) and 20 push-ups (instead of 30) each round, so I didn’t die. It ended up being a great decision because my arms were smoked by the end! (My lats are en fuego today!)

022 (750x563)

I ended up doing the last two rounds of push-ups on my knees, but I managed to do all 75 (holy crap) unassisted pull-ups, which is by far the most I’ve ever done in a WOD, so I was psyched about my performance. I finished in 34:31.

Barbara

Post-WOD: Tired, but happy… and covered in chalk (always).

052 (563x750)

Lunch

After CrossFit, I came home and chugged down a protein shake made with vanilla fitmixer protein powder, almond milk, and Molten Chocolate iced coffee, which tasted absolutely amazing (creamy coffee + chocolate and vanilla = heavenly). I actually considered making another one, but decided that I needed to eat something more substantial, so I whipped up an egg, Asiago cheese, and bacon sandwich on a Microwavable English muffin. It hit the spot.

068

From where/what brand are most of your workout clothes? Have you ever shopped at Old Navy for workout clothes? If so, what’d you think? What’s your favorite place to buy affordable workout gear?

This post is sponsored by Old Navy. Check out Old Navy’s Active wear in stores or at oldnavy.com #GetYourActiveON

Amy @ Eat Workout Succeed January 8, 2013 at 10:24 am

I love Old Navy clothes, i filled my suitcase full of there clothes when i was on holiday in Vancouver many years ago… how i wish i could get Old Navy clothes in the UK!

You are looking so fit Tina… very inspirational! :)

Herbivore Triathlete January 8, 2013 at 11:13 am

I’ve got a few workout items from Old Navy, I like them just fine.

Shannon January 8, 2013 at 11:31 am

I love the WOD pics!

Kait January 8, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I love Active by Old Navy! I bought some Compression tights last year for winter running and they still look great even with the intense wear they receive. And $15 really can’t be beat! I also got a bright orange track jacket and completely agree the long torso and thumb holes help!

Ashley January 8, 2013 at 9:17 pm

We just did Barbara too! It was soooo crazy! I used a band on the pull-ups. I don’t have kipping down quite yet.

Erika January 9, 2013 at 3:00 am

I’ve never bought workout clothes from Old Navy but I sure do buy everything else from there. I worked at Sports Authority for years so I used to just buy my clothes from there since I got a discount. Definitely need to check out Old Navy this week, even though I’m not sure how much will be left.

Hannah L. January 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I love Old Navy clothes, and their workout clothes! I actually just ordered those compression capris, and a few other items from their active line!

Sidenote: HOLY MUSCLES GIRL! I never noticed just how much Crossfit has changed your body! I am a long time reader, and you have always been fit, but I feel like in the last year your body has just transformed into this lean, mean, muscle making machine!! You look amazing! Well Done! If I wasn’t already convinced that I need to try Crossfit, I am now!

Amy@healthyandfitforeal.com January 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I love Target’s C9 brand for workout clothes- lots of options/colors and similar price to Old Navy’s.

Jennifer January 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I love your post, great motivation while also making my tummy growl! I purchase most of my clothes at Target or Walmart, but have never shopped at Old Navy for them. I especially love the pull over and thumb holes, it looks super comfy. I did a lot of running last year and hurt my knee and have stopped since then. I really need to get a hold of my schedule and make it a priority. I am definitely going to try Old Navy for some new clothes!

Becky Turner January 14, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Love the pullover. Have to get me one. The food look good too. Going to try.

Lata January 14, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I did’nt knew old navy carries active wear . I need to buy them .

Susan January 15, 2013 at 10:27 am

I’ve actually started buying workout gear from JcPennys. It’s reasonable priced and I think it’s super cute! Also, I’ve been really impressed with the quality.

Nicky B January 15, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Great posts! Sorry to read all the negativity on Facebook from the Old Navy posting, glad I clicked through to check out your blog though!

Tina January 16, 2013 at 7:34 am

I’m glad you did too! Welcome to CNC! :)

Kristin January 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Wow! I have to admit I have not read your blog in a looooooong time (no offense, I had a baby last year and blog reading has definitely been on the back burner) but when I saw on Facebook that Old Navy was promoting your post I had to check it out and man or man do you look AMAZING! So well defined and BUFF! Is this all from Crossfit? I have never tried it and don’t understand half of what the workouts entail but wow! That’s all!

Tina January 16, 2013 at 7:33 am

CrossFit and eating a cleaner diet!

Congrats on your new baby! :)

Gigi January 16, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I have a lot of Old Navy clothes….it fits and it works at an affordable price. I do have some things that were more expensive some are better some aren’t so I do love Old Navy.

Courtney January 16, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I bought that top as well! I love thumbies on my running shirts! If only Old Navy would start making triathlon gear (or at least biking gear) for women… sigh