• A Slow Start to the Weekend

January 12, 2013

Good morning! Happy Saturday!

Last night, Mal and I planned to go out to dinner in Boston, but when we checked the traffic report before leaving our house, it said it would take us almost an hour to drive less than 20 miles into the city. Ahh, no thanks. So we came up with a Plan B, which was having dinner closer to home at Stockholders.

Dinner

Mal and I have been to Stockholders a bunch of times in the past, but when we went there more recently on New Year’s Eve for a drink, we said we wanted to go back again for dinner sometime soon, so our Friday night plan turned out quite well.

Stockholders Weymouth

We ended up going to dinner around 5:30 PM last night (yay, early bird special), so we snagged a couple of seats at the bar, no problem, and ordered some drinks. I went with a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, which is now my go-to wine at restaurants. I’m so happy when I see it on a wine list. It’s so good!

008

Then, Mal and I shared an order of Fried Mac & Cheese Balls.

002

They were so tasty! Cheese + fried = YUM!

005

For my entrée, I ordered one of the specials, which was risotto with scallops, chorizo, Manchego cheese, asparagus, and tomatoes. It was good, but not amazing. Mal ordered the Sirloin Tips, which were amazing. He shared a bite of them with me, so I had major food envy.

007

It was a nice, low-key dinner out. Good times.

009

Mal and I ended up going to bed pretty early last night, so we both woke up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning. Murphy, however, was not as energetic. (I think he stayed up late watching Tosh.0.)

lazy pug (563x750)

Murphy was so stubborn about getting out of bed and going for his walk this morning, so I ended up putting his harness on him while he was still in bed.

super lazy pug (563x750)

Laziest dog ever.

super duper lazy pug (563x750)

He looks so annoyed with me in the photo below! Haha!

lazy lazy pug (750x563)

Breakfast

After I walked the pug, I whipped up a French Toast Breakfast Scramble with peanut butter to give me some energy before CrossFit.

French Toast Breakfast Scramble

What’s your favorite way to spend a Friday night? Do you tend to be more low-key on Friday nights compared to Saturday?

Sky January 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Those fried mac & cheese balls look sooo good! Being a college student for me it just depends on what’s going on for the weekend whether Friday or Saturday is more low-key. Typically, I like a low-key Friday night of dinner with friends and Saturday is when things may get wild.

Alex January 12, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I’m starting to become obsessed with the fried mac’n’cheese balls: great idea. As for your question: my Friday nights are usually to compensate for all the week’s work; I don’t have the energy to do much, even if I wanted. I prefer Saturdays for fun, often including family dinners.

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin January 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm

You had me at fried mac n cheese balls….YUM!

Tina January 12, 2013 at 2:01 pm

@Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin: They were SO GOOD!

Beks January 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I went to the gym last night, thinking that it would be dead (Who goes to the gym on a Friday night?), but it was PACKED! Crazytown. It was a good workout, though. I like working out on Friday nights.

Beks January 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Kristi @ lifesprinkles January 12, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Haha, poor Murphy! My rat terrier Eddy is the same way when it comes to getting out of bed in the morning. He always wants to snooze until the last possible minute (especially now that it’s cold) and I often have to bully him out of bed. :)

I am all about the laid back, relaxed Friday nights. At the end of the work week I have a hard time finding motivation to go out and do anything!

Sara @ fitcupcaker January 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I love low key fridays. Last night we went to a friends for pizza and watched freakin duck dynasty! WOW haha, but it was fun

Liz @ TurnUpTheEat January 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm

@Sara @ fitcupcaker: Haha that sounds just like my fridays! My bf is obsessed with duck dynasty! I love keeping it low key like that.

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com January 12, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Ha ha! I know how Murphy feels about morning exercise! I like low-key Fridays after a busy week. Usually a simple dinner, take out as a treat maybe, and then time to chill!

Laura @ RunningJunkie123 January 12, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I am ALWAYS more low key on Friday nights! I rarely want to go and do anything. haha. They usually consist of dinner (takeout?) and a redbox movie with my daughter and boyfriend.

I wouldn’t have it any other way:-)

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 12, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Mmmm–those fried mac and cheese balls sound delicious! I’m all about the low-key Fridays and night-out Saturdays; I like having a little breather after the work week and making the rounds on Saturday.

Alyssa January 12, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Hahaha Murphy looks hilarious in those photos! Fridays are usually pretty low-key for me. I’ll just stay at my boyfriend’s for the night & we’ll watch a movie & maybe drink a little. Saturdays are definitely more upbeat plans-wise.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 12, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Oh my, those fried mac & cheese balls look delicious. Our Fridays are typically more low key than Saturday nights just because we’re both pretty worn out from the week. And sometimes both nights are pretty low key, like this weekend! It’s kinda nice when that happens!

Coco January 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm

It depends on the weekend for me. My boyfriend and I are trying to save money, so we generally pick one night to “go out” and do something. Last night, we went to a low-key bar for 2 drinks, then came home. Tonight we have a birthday party. I am usually ready for bed by midnight even on the weekend. I am a 70 year old stuck in a 24 year old’s body.

Theodora January 12, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Saturday nights are for raging, obviously.

Tina January 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm

@Theodora: Obv. MISS YOU! Come hang out!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm

What a nice date :) It’s a slow start over here, too. Made it to the gym for a lower body workout, though!

Shel@PeachyPalate January 12, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Low key all the way! Nothing beats catching up on my fav blogs, a bubble bath, a good dinner, and catching up on TV from during the week or reading a good book and an early night! I’m the “oldest” 24 year old that I know :)

Lindsey January 12, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Friday is usually more key for us. I like to get in a good workout, have a easy supper and just relax at home :)

kim@hungryhealthygirl January 12, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Definitely more low key on Fridays. I’ve got to recoup from the week. I’ve had your French Toast Breakfast Scramble the last few mornings and I think, just like you, I’m addicted. ;)

Becky @ Olives n Wine January 12, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Our Friday nights are definitely a lot more low-key than Saturdays. I just don’t have energy to dress up after a long week of work! :) We typically hit up a local pub for a few drinks and an easy dinner and then head to bed early so we can be ready to go on Saturday. Have a great weekend!

Claire C January 12, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I love low-key chill Friday nights! We had a very similar night, went to our fav neighborhood restaurant across the street and then fell asleep to a Netflix movie on the couch. I made your pumpkin protein pancakes this morning and they were delicious ! So filling and my picky husband even loved them. I didn’t have bananas so I just doubled the pumpkin and added a little bit of stevia for added sweetness. Yum!

Steph January 12, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I am absolutely low-key on Friday nights! I work pretty hard all week and am usually too exhausted to do much, anyway. Last night I did a rec-room workout and ordered a personal-size veggie-loaded pizza because I’ve been craving it for weeks.

I absolutely adore sleepy-head Murphy and actually laughed out loud at the very first shot of him peeking warily from his cozy spot.

Kathryn January 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I love Kim Crawford! New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs are the best!

Jenessa January 12, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I love Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc (grapefruit + mineraly-ness is my favorite flavor profile in a whilte), but I can never find a bottle in wine stores. I get really excited when I see it on a wine list, too. Even if I’m really in the mood for red, I’ll go with KC SB.

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 12, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I’m really low-key on Friday nights. My Friday’s normally consist of school, some form of exercise, dinner, then baking a dessert of some sorts.

Sarah @PickyRunner January 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Ummmm fried mac and cheese? Was it LIFE CHANGING?!

Kaitlin Welch January 12, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Fried mac and cheese balls? Sign me up!

xx Kait

beth may January 12, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Tina. I have become obsessed with your french toast scramble. I was surprised at how much I like sweet eggs. Thanks for the recipe!

Jen @ Jens Best Life January 12, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Fried mac and cheese is SO good. Now I want some!

What I want to do on the weekend all depends on what I’ve done that week. If it’s been busy, I like a nice slow night or two, either making dinner or having it delivered if I’m extra lazy. But I always like dinner at a local place followed by a movie, too.

CC January 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm

love Murph getting ‘dressed’ in bed! Ha! while I have a bed ‘potato’ (he’s a couch ‘potato’ in the evenings, bed ‘potato’ in the mornings) – all it takes is a shake of the leash (“did you say walk??? Woo Hoo!! Let’s go!!”) to get him running full blast to the door — no matter the weather, he’s my walking partner!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 12, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Murphy: “Buuuttt moooommmm I don’t wannaaa get outtaa beeeddd!”

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Exactly! :)

Amber January 12, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I love low key Friday nights that involve a good movie at home and a lot of snuggling on the couch. It’s also always nice to go out to eat on Fridays – after cooking dinner every other night, I’m just sick of it.

Melissa January 13, 2013 at 2:03 am

We love low key Friday nights. I’m usually pooped and my husband works early on Saturdays, so Fridays we stay in and watch tv.

Those fried mac and cheese balls look amazing!

Marie January 13, 2013 at 10:21 am

I can’t believe your dog would rather stay in bed than take a walk! That is hilarious. My dog often will wake me up as if she needs to be let out, then when i get up to let them out, only the other dog will go out. the one who woke me up refuses to leave the bed. I really think she just wants the entire bed to herself.

Tina January 14, 2013 at 8:39 am

@Marie: Haha! Sounds like Murphy!

Erika January 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I usually have softball games on Friday nights. The times vary from week to week but if I happen to get home at a decent time, I prefer to stay in and read a book or watch TV. Sometimes I’ll meet up with friends but I’m so busy during the week that I like to stay home on Friday nights.

Angela January 14, 2013 at 1:14 am

Trader Joes sells some mac n cheese balls that are delicious as well! I try not to buy them too often because they can’t be that healthy… but they’re a good thing to keep in your freezer for an impromptu get together. :)

Tina January 14, 2013 at 8:39 am

@Angela: Mmm! I need to check those out!