• Twelve Pains of Christmas

December 24, 2012

Hi, friends! Merry Christmas Eve!

Somehow, my “nasty, phlegm-tastic cold” got even worse last night, so I went to bed feeling pretty awful. This morning, I woke up feeling quite a bit better, but definitely not 100%. It was the final day of 24 Days of Togetherness, and Mal and I planned to “wear red + green to CrossFit,” so I took some Sudafed and hoped for the best.

007 (750x563)

Hooray for red and green and Christmas spirit!

003 (750x563)

(Ugh, I look so sick. My nose is all red and gross… I’m like a 5 year old. Haha! Anyway…)

Today’s WOD was ridiculously hard and appropriately named the “Twelve Pains of Christmas.” Obviously, I wasn’t feeling well, but everyone else in class struggled too. There was lots of huffing and puffing, grunting and some swearing going on! Some of the exercise combos in this WOD—Wallballs to Burpees, for example—were absolutely brutal, but I like challenges (and chipper-style workouts), so I pushed through.

“Twelve Pains of Christmas”

1 quick Dash across the street
    11 Burpees
    12 Strict close-grip chin ups

Rx: (135, 95) (70, 53)
    L2:(115, 75) (53, 45)
    L1: (95, 65) (45, 35)
    Beg: (65, 45) (35, 25)

This workout was performed like the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” but backwards. (We did a similar WOD last Christmas Eve.) So you start with one quick dash across the street and then you do one quick dash across the street and two deadlifts; then, one quick dash across the street, two deadlifts, and three cleans, and so on from there until you work your way up to 12 strict close-grip chin-ups.

I did Level 1 for weight (65 pounds + 35-pound Kettlebell) and used a #2 band for the chin-ups (my arms were dead by the end). I did, however, do all (40!) of the pull-ups unassisted and, surprisingly, they weren’t all that bad. The Burpees, however, were easily the toughest part of this workout for me. Usually, I can push through the pain and bang them out, but I was dying today. Ugh, Burpees… they’re definitely one of the Twelve Pains of Christmas. I finished in 28:45.

My appetite has been really weird since I started to feel sick. Usually, I can always eat, but last night, I had zero appetite—not even for Crème De Menthe Cookies! Can’t eat cookies?! That’s when you know I’m sick.

This morning, I woke up hungry because I barely ate dinner last night, but I wasn’t in the mood for anything specific. I ended up eating some leftovers of my Mom’s Apple Crisp with a scoop of sunflower butter. I was kind of random, but it worked.

002 (750x563)

After CrossFit, I wasn’t all that hungry, but I knew I needed some calories to refuel my muscles, so I made myself a protein shake with vanilla fitmixer protein powder, decaf coffee, almond milk, cinnamon, and ice.

008 (563x750)

About an hour later, I was finally hungry for “real” food, so I whipped up an egg and cheese sandwich on a Microwaveable English Muffin.

011 (750x563)

It totally hit the spot.

014 (750x563)

Now, Mal and I are packing up our things to visit our families for the next couple of days. I can’t believe how much stuff we have to take home with us!

015 (750x563)

I hope you’re enjoying time with family and friends! Merry, merry, merry Christmas to you!

Jackie W December 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Merry Christmas to you, Mal and Murphy!

Tina December 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm

@Jackie W: Thank you! You too! :)

Michelle @ oats n' bows December 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Oh 12 days of pain >_<

Mine was all sorts of pain at my cross fit.
    12 Bear Complex
    11 Burpees
    10 Med Ball Cleans
    9 Toes to Bar
    8 2fer Wall Balls
    7 Knees to Feet
    6 Turkish Get-ups
    5 HSPU’s
    4 Pistols
    3 Muscle-ups
    2 Sliders
    200 m run…

The Sliders were the absolute WORST. Merry Christmas Tina, Mal and Murphy!!

Tina December 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm

@Michelle @ oats n’ bows: Oh my goodness, that sounds like a tough WOD! Muscle-ups?! Can you do them?

Michelle @ oats n' bows December 24, 2012 at 10:27 pm

@Tina: Goodness no not a good one haha especially not after all of that. I did a progression of a muscle up with rings. I still felt it though 😛 haha it was impossible not to!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run December 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm

That WOD sounds like a lot of fun. My box did a chipper today with the number 12 that sounded like a lot of fun, but I had to skip it due to my knee injury =/

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas… drinking iced coffee with eggnog right now, thinkin’ of ya :)

Tina December 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm

@Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run: Aww, merry Christmas to you!

Hope your knees feels better SOON!

Khushboo December 24, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Crazy workout but looks good!

mary @ minutes per mile December 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm

that workout sounds killer! i’m sending it to my boyfriend. he’s a crossfit fanatic.

Lauren December 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm

WHAT a workout! Merry Christmas!

Beks December 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Looks like a festive workout. You do look like you want a nap, though. Hope you feel much better when you’re with your family this week!

Merry Christmas!

Lauren December 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Feel better Tina! And hope you Mal and Murphy have a wonderful Christmas!!

sara @ fitcupcaker December 24, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Crazy workout. I like the green and red though!!

michelle kim December 24, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Merry Christmas to you and your family 😀
    What a tough looking workout!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul December 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Tina, I hope you get to feeling 100% healthy again! It’s always tough feeling sick when there’s such a festive and lively atmosphere around me, so I hope you still enjoy time with your family 😀

Kristen @ Change of Pace December 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Hope you have a safe trip! Seems like everyone is sick right now :(

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 24, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well, hope it clears up soon! But at least you guys looked cute in your red and green at CrossFit! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks December 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Awwww feel better! Merry Christmas! <3

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Merry Christmas!! I hope you feel 100% by tomorrow! :)

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness December 24, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I did the 12 days of pain last year! Totally a brutal WOD! Feel better!

Shel@PeachyPalate December 24, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Merry Christmas!!! Hope you feel in top form in time for tomorrow :)

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet December 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Wow, I loved your 24 days of togetherness! I hope to try that someday when I don’t live alone or far from people. And I am still in need of trying that microwaveable english muffin. Perhaps for tomorrow’s brunch!

Meghan @Health Continuum December 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Good for you for getting out there and getting some sweat on. Whenever I’m sick, getting a sweat session in always makes me feel better. Hope you and Mal have safe travels and get well soon!

Johnna December 25, 2012 at 10:09 am

We too did 12 Days of Christmas. I am SOOO sore today. Ours was this:
    12 sit-ups
    11 air squats
    10 push ups
    9 kb swings (55/35)
    8 pull ups
    7 wall balls (20/10)
    6 burpees
    5 ring dips
    4 squat cleans (115/75)
    3 push press (115/75)
    2 thrusters (115/75)
    1 wall climb

So much fun and I RX’d it!

Merry Christmas!

Tina December 25, 2012 at 10:13 am

Sounds like a good one!!

Lisa December 25, 2012 at 12:45 pm

So fun to compare 12 days of xmas wods!

Ours was…

1 bear comlpex
    2 box jump
    3 power snatch
    4 clapping push up
    5 deadlift
    6 burpee box jump
    7 power clean
    8 ttb
    9 thruster
    10 pull ups c2b
    11 kbs
    12 Clusters

Took everyone at my box about 40 minutes…a total and utter beatdown!

Kelly @ Running to Healthy December 26, 2012 at 7:59 am

Wow, that sounds like a tough workout!! I completed a 5 mile training run Christmas morning–super proud of myself for exercising on a holiday. It felt awesome (though it was seriously sweltering in Florida!!!) but I was wiped out later in the day–ha! Hope you are feeling better:-)