• Taking Cell Phone Recommendations

December 10, 2012

My iPhone is slowly starting to kick the bucket. It’s mostly the home button that causes issues (it takes me about 3-10 tries to get it to work), but my phone is also starting to have some connectivity issues. The cell phone service at our house is terrible, so AT&T gave us a MicroCell awhile back (because we threatened to switch to Verizon), which has made all the difference, but now my phone randomly drops it, which, obviously, is super annoying when you’re trying to talk to someone. (Sorry, Jen!)

iphone

Anyway, long story short, my contract is up for renewal, which means I can get a new phone at a reduced price, so now I’m trying to figure out which one I want to buy.

pugatATT

Mal has the Samsung Galaxy S3, which he loves, so I’m seriously considering getting that one, but it’s kind of big, so I’m not sure if it’d be annoying on runs. I also really like the Nokia Lumia 920 because it has a sweet camera, which I know I would use a lot, but it doesn’t have Pandora or WordPress in the app store yet. Boo. And, of course, I’m still thinking about the iPhone 5 because I love all things Apple, but I’ve “been there, done that” with the iPhone, so I kind of want to see what else is out there.

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was a Sweet Breakfast Scramble with sweet potato and almond butter in the mix. I also drank a glass of iced decaf Milky Way coffee with boring old almond milk in it. I drank my iced coffee with eggnog all weekend, so I really missed it this morning. I think I need to buy more today. ‘Tis the season!

019

Weekly Workouts

• Sunday: Off
    • Monday: 2-mile (pug) walk
    • Tuesday: CrossFit
    • Wednesday: 4 miles
    • Thursday: CrossFit
    • Friday: Off
    • Saturday: CrossFit

What type of cell phone do you own? Do you like it?

Amy December 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm

FYI: Verizon service in your area isn’t so great either :)

Tina December 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm

@Amy: Haha! Good to know! :)

Shannon December 10, 2012 at 7:23 pm

@Amy:

Really? I have Verizon in this area and I have great service — I don’t think I’ve ever had a dropped call and I’m on my cell all day.

Libbi December 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I have the Lumia 900 and love it. Though I am jealous of the new 920 and that I’m not up for renewal and can’t get it. The 920 has Windows 8 and amazing camera/optics. Nokia maps is awesome and amazing. They have their own contracted company that drives around keeping them up to date. (my husband also used to work for Nokia on software, so I think it’s really cool to use what he helped create). The app store does need more apps, and I don’t have a good answer about why they don’t have all the awesome ones that people use on the iphone in the windows store, but a tech person (who tends to know about the different operating systems) should have a good answer. My husband told me, but I forget what the answer was.

lindsay December 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm

love my samsung galaxy s3! it seemed huge at first, but now i feel like an iphone looks like a toy – it is so tiny! the galaxy is SO much easier to use – and the screen is amazing. and you just cannot beat the navigation/maps function on android. it is amazing.

Nicki December 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm

@lindsay:
    Completely agree! :-) Love my Galaxy 3

Christine December 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm

@lindsay:

Also agree. I love my Samsung Galaxy S3 as well. I was nervous at first because it seemed gigantic compared to my little blackberry curve but it seems normal now and if you get it you and Mal can transfer files by touching phones!! That’s sooo cool!!

Stefanie December 10, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I had a droid before getting my Iphone. The Iphone is easier to use. Your best bet is to go to the store and play around with the phones to see which one you like.

Beks December 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I have an HTC and for the most part, I adore it. It’s my first smartphone (HTC Rhyme), and it came with a docking station which has a speaker, which, honestly, was the entire reason I wanted it. I think it’s brilliant, and more phone manufacturers should consider adding one with their phones.
    We have Verizon, as my cousin is a store manager of a store in Colorado, and so his entire family is on it, and then everyone else followed suit (especially since Sprint kept screwing my dad). We really like them. Great coverage!

Sara @ fitcupcaker December 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I have Cincinnati Bell which is only in this area and I hate my phone. Ive been saying for months I need a new one, I just don’t want to pay haha

truhali December 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I just switched from a 3GS to an iPhone 5 and I love it. Better screen resolution, awesome camera, much faster. I also take it for runs and it is lighter in weight than the older model was.

Chris Jones December 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm

You should check out http://123tellme.com I can’t stand contract or certain restrictions carriers think they can get away with. Anyway check out the video and let me know what you think. You can get the new Nexus 4 for about the same pricee as the phones your looking at and remain contract free.

Megan@funsizedfitness December 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy and love it – but recently it’s been slowing down (probably because it’s almost 2 years old)… good luck with your phone shopping!

Rebekah December 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I had an iphone too, and at the suggestion of my fiance (who knows far more about phones than I could ever care to) went with the HTC One X when I was eligible for an upgrade a month ago..Love it so far but my only advice if you get one is to check your language settings on texting bc it took me 2 weeks and many perplexing auto-corrects to figure out my language was set to English, French, AND Spanish

elle | nutritionella December 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I just got the new iPhone 5 and love it – it’s so much faster than the 4!

Rachel December 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I absolutely love my Droid.. I have the lucid.. so easy to use.. lots of free apps too :)

Alaina December 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm

@Rachel: I have the lucid too and I love it! I wish the camera was comperable to the iPhone but other than that it’s great. :-)

Janice - Fitness Cheerleader December 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I went to a social media conference in October a week before the Windows Phone was released and Microsfot sponsored the Friday night party. At the party they had the new Windows phone (and the Surface tablet) available for us to play around with. Lemme just say I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by how fast that phone was! (That said, I’m definitely an Apple girl through and through and will be updating my iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 when my contrcat is up in August).

Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes December 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I also have an iPhone 5. I’d recommend it over the 4 of you’re gonna go with either of the two!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance December 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I love my iPhone 5 and can’t imagine switching to a different phone. I’ve heard great things about the galaxy but not enough to convince me to switch.

Apple or die ;)

joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I recently got the iPhone 4S..my iphone 4 was basically on its death bed and I didn’t like the iPhone 5’s new look. I like it a lot, mainly because I’m an Apple loyalist, but the battery life leaves a lot to be desired.

shannon December 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm

love my droid razr maxx, amazing battery life! i would’ve gone with the galaxy 3s, but also thought it was too big for my hand

Kristen @ Change of Pace December 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I love my iPhone 4S but I haven’t really had anything besides it. My husband and I both have an iPhone. I had a Blackberry before it and loved it too. You’ll probably have to go mess with them at the store :)

Nicole December 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I have the samsung galaxy and LOVE it. Not awkward running at all!

Sarah December 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Here’s how to reset your home button!

Open the Weather app.
    Press the power button on the top of the phone and keep holding it until the Power Off bar comes off. Don’t power off.
    Hit the home button and keep it held down until the Power Off bar disappears.

I don’t know how, but it works!!!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige December 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I have the iPhone 4s – I like it all right. My husband is with Verizon and has the nexus galaxy I think? I’m with AT&T…so I think I might switch when my contract is up. Interested to see what ya choose!

Karinna December 10, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I still have to go with the iPhone, but with Verizon! Apple products are just so user friendly and have had a lot of things made for/adjusted for the iPhone. I know they have the iPhone 4 free with a contract right now.

Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food December 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I am extremely happy with HTC. I have always preferred Android to Apple and my hubby and I have had HTC for the past two years. They are really great!

Lauri December 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I just upgraded from the iphone4 to the 5 – was having the same issues as you with the Home button, plus the on/off button didn’t function at all. So far, I love the 5 – it’s lighter and faster. i never considered switching from the iphone b/c I just love it, so I can’t speak to what else is out there but I’m happy with the 5…

Lindsay's List December 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm

my home button is having the EXACT same issue! so frustrating!!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run December 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I really admire your weekly workout schedule. It doesn’t seem that you have any problem at all taking rest days. You’re fit as ever, so it’s a good reminder for us fitness wackos ;)

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I have a Droid Incredible 2, but the rest of my family has the same Samsung as Mal, I believe. And they LOVE it (I love my phone, as well, but I’m not 100% it’s on the market anymore?). My whole family digs android phones in general…iPods are not our thing.

Dana December 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Go with the galaxy! It may seem big, but it’s light!

Melissa December 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I went from iphone 4 to the 5 and LOVE it. Its faster, nice screen and its lighter weight. Plus I love apple! Good luck to you

George December 10, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I would stick with the iPhone.

You have all those apps, music and more in the Apple eco system and when you switch then you start over again.

I use an iPhone 4S and if i look at all those other phones I just know i have the right phone. I have small hands and would not want something huge like a galaxy S3.

I guess playing with some will help you choose I played with a lot of them before i got my current iPhone more then a year ago and I know this is the right phone for me.

Katrine December 10, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I just got the iphone 5 and absolutely love it. Siri is the bomb, the coverage is great and I’ve had great luck with the Nike running app for gps use. It has gotten bad press for the new navigation app, but I really like it. I haven’t gotten lost once. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 10, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I have an LG (not sure of the model) and I like everything about it except for the fact that whenever someone calls me, the volume of their voice is super loud – I have to hold the phone away from my ear! – but it’s fine if I am the one doing the calling. I’m not sure if there’s a way to fix this, but if there is, I haven’t figured it out yet!

Nicole Dyan December 10, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I had a 3G and decided I wanted to switch to android, so I got an Evo 4G… and returned it two weeks later for an iPhone 4. It’s about time to upgrade again and I know I’ll be getting the iPhone 5- even with it’s flaws, it is still better than the android phones I’ve used. Once you go iPhone, you can’t go back!

For your home button- I have problems with mine too, so every once in a while I clean it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNwr_mxgs9Q and it works much better.

Stacy December 10, 2012 at 7:45 pm

My button on my iphone doesn’t work either and I haven’t got it fixed yet. Do you know about the accessibility feature that adds a ‘home’ button to your screen? That’s what I use. Go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Assistive Touch and turn on. It will create a home looking button that you can move around to different spots on the phone. If your regular home button doesn’t work well, this will be a lifesaver!!! It works just like the regular home button and if you tap it twice, you’ll get all the running programs on the bottom. I would definitely do this for now. AND, I would definitely go iPhone 5. It’s the MOST versatile! Hope this helps you.

sarah December 10, 2012 at 7:50 pm

you can download a home button app so it appears as a virtual button on your screen…then you just use the top button to turn the screen on an off.

Sma033 December 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm

My iPhone was having the same problems, to the point where I was pressing the home button more than 20 times or more before something happened. I actually took it to a guy who sits in the middle of our mall with his cart & he fixed it for $20!! My phone’s as good as new…check out some of those random carts in the mall before you buy a new phone!

Hannah December 10, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I love my iPhone 4, but it’s beginning to have some problems with the home/power buttons as well. I think Apple is too smart for us and is scheming that their old phones will break at the same time that their new phones come out :P Many of my friends have had button issues with their 4’s. I’d still suggest an iPhone 5. I’ve heard nothing but good things so far and Apple sort of runs the show in terms of phones these days.

MB December 10, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I have the droid x with verizon and haven’t had any problems. If I were to upgrade I’d probably get the razor or samsung. My only complaint is I don’t get service underground on the T but I see other people talking on their phones.

Grace December 10, 2012 at 10:43 pm

My contract was just up for renewal and I’ve always had a droid, never thinking twice about even wanting an iPhone. Well, last week, I went to Best Buy – excited to renew my contract and I bought the Samsung Galaxy S3. I came home, downloaded apps, personalized it…..then 3hrs later, I drove back to Best Buy and returned it – and got the new iPhone 5. Let me tell you, I LOVE IT….best decision! Now….let me explain – my entire family and network of friends have iPhones – it just seemed like the best decision….my toddler even has an itouch! I’m just excited to be able to do Facetime with my long distance cousins! So, needless to say, I’d totally recommend the iPhone 5!

Kelly December 10, 2012 at 11:58 pm

To fix your home button in the meantime…

Go to SETTINGS > GENERAL
    (scroll all the way down to) ACCESSIBILITY
    (scroll all the way down to the “Physical & Motor” heading) ASSISTIVE TOUCH.
    Slide it ON

you can move it around on your screen and it will fade out when not needed.

PROBLEM SOLVED. :-)

Mark @ fullhalfglass.com December 11, 2012 at 1:57 am

I’m in the same boat, sort of… I have a Galaxy S – a hand-me-down from my step-daughter and my contract is up. I love Samsung and will probably upgrade to the S3 or the Note

AJ December 11, 2012 at 8:00 am

It may be worth having your phone fixed. http://iphonecurt.com/
    This guy is located in Brighton and he is amazing! My iPhone 4 wan’t even able to function as a phone – the sensor was broken- and my lock button broke. I dealt with it for months waiting for my contract to be up but then I took here. Within a half hour, he was able to tell that all my problems were due to a piece that became unplugged (perhaps it’s been dropped a few (hundred) times!). He plugged it back in and it’s as if I have a brand new phone!!

LJ December 11, 2012 at 9:25 am

Does Mal’s Samsung Galaxy S3 fit in your Flipbelt? I am curious because I got a Flipbelt (based on your recommendation) for myself as a Christmas present and am considering getting the Samsung Galaxy S3. If you end up with that phone I am interested in hearing about using it for tracking runs.

Tina December 11, 2012 at 9:27 am

@LJ: I haven’t tried it yet, but I think it would fit. It’s pretty spacious in there! :)

Lara December 11, 2012 at 10:58 am

With our iPhone 4 we had the same issues with the home button. Now with the iPhone 5, that issue is gone. Honestly, we love apple, and we wouldn’t buy anything else.

Shelly December 11, 2012 at 1:00 pm

My husband has the iPhone 4 and is having the same issues you are with the home button. Luckily, he is also due for a new phone in a month. I have the 4S and love it. I had a HTC before and absolutely hated it, but it was an older version of a smart phone so they could be better by now. Good luck on your decision! It can be so hard with so many options and knowing you are stuck with your decision for the next couple of years!

Christin December 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I had the same issues with my iphone 4. Went to the apple store and they told I had to shell out $150 to replace it. Anyways, I got the Galaxy Note 2 after a week of learning how to use the android platform, i got scared and returned it for the iphone 5. Now I have returner’s remorse. If I could do it over i’d get the sIII (note 2 was too big for my small hands).
    iphone 5 isn’t that great there are no big differences from the 4 besides Siri.
    Only thing about apple products is a better resale value. I sold my iphone 4 ( I bought a replacement through Square trade warranty, unlocked it and sold it for $300.

Elisabeth December 11, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I have the Motorola droid razr maxx hd & I love it!! (it is through Verizon, though)

J @ semplicemente ... J December 13, 2012 at 12:17 am

iPhone 5, no Customer Service beats Apple!