• Take A Family Photo

December 7, 2012

Happy holidays from our family to yours!

HappyHolidays_FamilyPic

Yesterday’s 24 Days of Togetherness was “take a family photo,” so we had a little fun with the self-timer on my camera last night.

Self-Timer Fun

But, no matter what we tried, we could not get Murphy to look at the camera.

Self-Timer Fun 1

He looks like a little Scrooge, doesn’t he?

Self-Timer Fun 2

(I have no idea why Mal and I are leaning like that! It’s like we’re on a boat or something. Haha!)

Our 24 Days of Togetherness has been a ton of fun so far. I hope you and your loved ones decided to join in! Just in case you missed our previous activities, here they are:

Breakfast

After Murphy and I said goodbye to Caitlin, I ate breakfast, which was reheated Lemon Glazed Sweet Potatoes and Bananas. I’ve made this recipe in the past and absolutely loved it, but I was not impressed with the batch I made the other day. I think the sweet potatoes I used were a little too big, so it took forever to cook and it didn’t really have that sweet lemony flavor I had hoped for. If you decide to make this recipe, go for medium sweet potatoes, not large.

026

Workout

After breakfast, I headed to CrossFit for a WOD called “Seven Minutes in Heaven” aka “Open WOD 12.1.” Do you remember this workout from last February?

AMRAP 7 Burpees = Do as many Burpees as you can in 7 minutes (and try not to die)

It’s a rough workout, but sort of “fun” at the same time, especially if you love Burpees like I do. Mal and I even made “I Love Burpees” shirts for this WOD. It’s definitely a workout I will never (ever) forget. Anyway, our box decided to repeat this WOD yesterday, so I was gunning to beat my old score (96).

027 (750x563)

028 (750x563)

After doing a warm-up and strength part (front squats + chins ups) of the workout, we found a partner to count our reps. When you’re doing a lot of Burpees and your brain is deprived of oxygen, there is no way you can accurately keep track. Our coach went over the standards for the workout (your chest must touch the ground and you need to touch a target 6 inches above your max reach when you jump) and then the fun started!

I ended up being next to one of the fastest ladies at our gym, so I tried to keep up with her. We were pretty even for the first 50 Burpees or so, but then she started to pull ahead by a rep or two. By the time I got to the 80s, I started to fall apart. I missed the bar a couple of times (no rep), which, of course, slowed me down. I managed to pull it together for the last 90 seconds and busted out a bunch of Burpees, so I ended up with 103—6 more reps than February! Woohoo! If you’re curious, the gal next to me did 119!! She’s an animal!

Snack

After CrossFit, I drank a protein shake made with fitmixer, milk, and water to replenish my tired muscles.

030

Lunch

A little while later, I made a lighter, more nutritious baked mac & cheese recipe for my Health post next week and ended up eating some of it for lunch. This recipe is definitely a winner. I can’t wait to share it with you guys next week!

mac&cheese

Do you/your family send holiday cards?

Mal and I really wanted to send cards this year, but we never got it together. Maybe next year! We can use our new family photo, right?

P.S. CrossFit folks: You still have time to enter my giveaway to win a WOD book. I’ll pick 4 winners this afternoon!

J @ semplicemente ... J December 7, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I used to do them every year when the girls were small. We said we were going to do them this year, but up to now … Nothing. We will see … They may end up being wishing you a great 2013 (to be sent out in January) … ;)

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes December 7, 2012 at 12:50 pm

My family used to send Christmas cards every year when my sisters and I were little. Now, however, the tradition has fell to the wayside, but we’re planning to revive it this year–fingers crossed!

Andrea December 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm

103 burpees?!! holy sh*t!!! i’m dead after 20….

Jennifer December 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm

You can totally still send out cards! It’s not too late at all! I always send mine out in the second week of December; I’m actually not sending mine out until this coming Monday. You could just get some store bought cards and put the family pic inside the card. It would be totally cute still!

Jen December 7, 2012 at 1:31 pm

It’s only the 7th, not too late to do cards at all!

Melissa December 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm

103 Burpees! That’s awesome! And Murph looks totally ticked in the first photo LOL

Annette@FitnessPerks December 7, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I love burpees too! I just trained in Les Mills’ GRIT & man, we did like 300+ burps last weekend. It was TOUGHHHHHH!

We took photos, & we’re sending a holiday photo card via email. That’s how I roll. BOOM

Jules December 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Awww, I love the family pictures. Also, that mac and cheese looks amazing, can’t wait to see the recipe!

Ashlee December 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm

That mac and cheese looks awesome! Can’t WAIT for the recipe :-)

Claire @ Health Nut Claire December 7, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I took my first CrossFit class this morning! It was awesome and I’m totally going back on Monday. Thanks for giving me the courage to finally go!

Amanda A December 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I just love your family photos, even if Murphy didn’t want to look at the camera!

Marie December 7, 2012 at 2:07 pm

You should still send them out! I like the third one; sometimes the unposed ones are the best.

Megan@funsizedfitness December 7, 2012 at 2:14 pm

My husband and I got married this year, so we sent out our first official “family” Christmas cards!! (our cats were in the picture, of course!)

Shelly December 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm

We usually send a picture card to our family and friends. We haven’t gotten it together yet this year, and I argued that everyone has already seen all of our pictures on Facebook so what’s the point. Maybe I’m turning into a Scrooge!

Susan December 7, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Wow Murphy looks so angry in that first pic – cracks me up every time i see it!

Jess H December 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Yeah, we send cards, but I haven’t sent mine out yet. They just came in today!

Julia December 8, 2012 at 3:41 am

You’re a beast! Ironically, my box did the same WOD today. It was my first time doing it and I did 68. even the men only got in the 80’s so you go girl!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul December 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Hehe I love those pictures! It’s such a cute idea and my husband and I are thinking of doing that for postcards to send to people! :) But we gotta hurry haha

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm

What is the full saying on Mal’s pug shirt?
    And my family ‘attempts’ Christmas card. Every year for the past few years, my mom makes my brother & I take a photo for our card, but then she never ends up sending them out in time! This year she was DETERMINED, though…I think we might actually send one out!

Tina December 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm

It says: Pugs not drugs! :)