• Shut the Front Door (And Look How Pretty It Is)

December 10, 2012

Check out our “new” front door!

I’m digging the black. It’s definitely better than the dirty, dinged up white door we used to have!

Today’s lunch was leftover cheesy Shepherd’s Pie with steamed spinach for some extra nutrients and “bulk.” The spinach was also on its last legs, so I wanted to use it up before it went bad.

After lunch, I did some baking for my post on Health.com next week. I may or may not have created a ridiculously delicious chocolate chip muffin. Keep a look out for the recipe next week!

Speaking of new recipes…

Health News & Views

I don’t know about you, but as soon as the cold weather arrives, all I want to eat is warm, creamy, and cheesy comfort food. Baked macaroni and cheese immediately comes to mind. Who can resist such a decadent dish? Mac and cheese isn’t exactly known for being the healthiest meal, but this recipe amps up the nutrients while trimming calories and fat from the traditional recipe. Some of the macaroni is replaced with mushrooms and chopped spinach and the cheese sauce is lightened up, but flavor is not lost thanks to the combination of garlic, Dijon mustard, and nutmeg. This recipe is so delicious, you won’t even notice the missing ingredients!

Light and Cheesy Nutritious Mac and Cheese

P.S. Many thanks for all of your cell phone recommendations! They are so helpful. I’m going to do a little more research, and, hopefully, I’ll have a new phone sometime this week!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run December 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Love the new door! It almost looks navy blue to me; nonetheless, it’s a lovely update.

Can’t wait for that muffin recipe. Chocolate chips, yes please!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio December 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I love the new door!!! I think it’s great that y’all went with a dark color.

Sarah @PickyRunner December 10, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Thanks the recipe… it looks delicious! The muffins look pretty good too. I’ll be anxiously waiting for that one instead of studying 😉
    The door looks great!!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm

LOVE the black! What a difference!

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Oh my goodness, I love the front door. I’m a big fan of statement color front doors (is that even a phrase?). I definitely see the blue undertone in the paint! Great choice.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh December 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm

The door looks AWESOME and updated! Sassy!

dana December 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm

painting that door made such a huge difference on the look of the entry! I LOVE IT! Looks great and really warms up the space.

About 2 years ago my husband and I painted our front door ORANGE! It’s so bright and cheerful, I love it. Changing the color of the front doors just bring such new life to a house, its awesome! (and great too for telling people which house is yours… “look for the house with the bright orange door!” haha)

Tina December 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Orange is so fun!

Ed December 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm

That is a good looking front door! I like you wreath too….

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm

The door looks great!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin December 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm

The door looks great! Can’t wait for the muffin recipe – they are my favorite thing to bake!

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I LOVE your new door color. It looks great, especially with the gold plate! Do you have any other recipe ideas for spinach on the verge of going bad? I always seem to have that problem a few days after buying a pack!

dana December 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm

@Becky @ Olives n Wine:
    I always just add it to a pasta dish or mix it in with my scrambled eggs.
    … or i just wash it, let it dry, then freeze it so i don’t have to feel pressured to use it.

Tina December 11, 2012 at 2:23 pm

@Becky @ Olives n Wine: All of Dana’s ideas + smoothies, steamed or sauteed with minced garlic or garlic powder, cooked in with ground beef or turkey, chopped and mixed in salad greens or on top of a pizza.

Claire @ Health Nut Claire December 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Love the new door! That Mac N Cheese recipe looks like something I’m going to have to whip up while I’m home for break! Yum!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm

The new door looks GREAT! And those muffins….OH MAN, I can’t wait for the recipe!

Kristen @ Change of Pace December 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm

It’s the little things that can make such a big difference! Your door looks awesome.

Molly @ Happy&Healthy December 10, 2012 at 5:12 pm

The door looks great, I love the hint of blue in it! Can’t wait for the recipe, and I am definitely pinning the mac and cheese for later!

Nicole @ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com December 10, 2012 at 5:27 pm

It is amazing what a small paint color change can make! The door looks great. I painted my fireplace a few months ago and I can’t believe how much I love it.

Tina December 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm

We painted our fireplace too! Makes such a difference!

Michelle December 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Pretty wreathe! Love it!

Megan@funsizedfitness December 10, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Yum-I’m looking forward to your chocolate chip muffin recipe!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Love the front door! My parents house, that I grew up in, is all white with black shutters and a black front door!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats December 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

The door looks great! It’s a nice contrast to the house color!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope December 10, 2012 at 6:33 pm

very pretty door:)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance December 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm

The door looks great! You’re right, it’s definitely not scary black and you can see the blue in it.

Sara @ fitcupcaker December 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Door looks great. I made your apple crisp light tonight. Also I want that muffin recipe!!

Tina December 10, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Nice! What’d you think?

Katie Thieman@ Girl on a Mission December 10, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I love the door color! I would someday like to actually have a whole house in that color, with white trim. Very bold choice!

Corrie Anne December 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Looks beautiful! It’s amazing what a difference a little paint can make!! :)

Lauren December 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm

It looks great! Especially with the wreath, the black makes the colors really stand out.

Jean December 10, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Wow, your door looks great! Not gonna lie, I wasn’t really a fan of the color while it was drying, but it looks totally different now!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 10, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I can’t wait for the recipe!! The black door looks nice!!! I like it better than the white!

Alyssa December 10, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Where’s the wreath on your front door from? It’s beautiful!

Tina December 10, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Thanks! It’s from Michaels!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 10, 2012 at 9:41 pm

The door looks great! Love that wreath too. And can’t wait for the chocolate chip muffin recipe, they look so pretty and delicious!

Tempie @ The Texas Peach December 10, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Love the black door! The Christmas wreath stands out so much more and looks even prettier against the black.

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 10, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I’ve been OBSESSED with cheese (especially mac and cheese!) lately. It’s been ridiculous. This recipe sounds great though – thanks for sharing!

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com December 11, 2012 at 2:50 am

I LOVE that colour! You can totally see the blue. We did some painting at the weekend and it makes all the difference. Productive Sunday!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 11, 2012 at 7:35 am

Great job on the door! The black looks a lot better!

Nicole December 11, 2012 at 7:41 am

The beautiful wreath really pops! on the front door. Looks great.

Katie December 11, 2012 at 11:09 am

It’s amazing what a little color can do. The black looks awesome! Makes it look really clean and nice. Plus, I love wreaths! Instant festiveness!

Kelly@BalancedDaily December 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I agree; cold weather always makes me crave comfort food thats warm and cheesy. This sounds great but I’m not a big mushroom fan so I might substitute some cauliflower or something. Always game to try a new lighter mac and cheese dish. Love the color of the front door too, it looks bluish/black and much better than the white.

erin December 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm

The door looks awesome! Black doors add such a great touch to the front of a home.

She Rocks Fitness December 11, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I’m all about warm, hearty, comfort foods this time of year! But like you said, it can be healthy and still taste delicious with some changes here and there. Both the muffins and the mac n’ cheese look FABULOUS!

Suzanne February 10, 2013 at 6:43 pm

What is the name of that type/style door? I LOVE those types but don’t know what they’re called to search for them! Thanks! :)