• Random Presents at Walgreens

December 3, 2012

Hi, friends! I hope your week is off to a fabulous start! :mrgreen:

After breakfast, I went to the dentist for a 6-month check-up and cleaning. Thankfully, I have nothing exciting to report (no cavities! hooray!), but I probably need to get a new mouthguard in the next month or so because I ground a hole right through mine. Mouthguards are expensive ($500+), so my dentist said I could hold off for a little while, but I’ll probably make an appointment to get a new one before the end of the year. I know eventually I’m just going to need to buck up and pay for it, right? Sweet. A new mouthguard. Merry Christmas to me!

033

After the dentist, I went in search of a small gift for Mal for our 24 Days of Togetherness. We set a budget of $5 or less, so I went to Walgreens to find a little something for him.

039

Walgreens always has the most random stuff… and it didn’t let me down today!

041

042

049

046

043

045

044

048

I actually ended up passing on the random gifts and buying Mal a “real” gift instead. I went a $1 over-budget, but it was worth it. I know he’ll like it. We’re going to exchange our gifts tonight, so I’ll blog about what we bought each other tomorrow.

Lunch

By the time I got home, I was starving for lunch, so I threw together a bunch of leftovers from the fridge. In the mix: spaghetti squash, potatoes, roasted broccoli, ground Chorizo, and pesto. Random, nutritious, and delicious! (Yes, I’m all about the bowls lately.)

055

After lunch, I ate one of the sugar-almond flour cookies that Mal and I baked last night. Oh, yea, forgot to mention we burned a batch of them (as you can see). These Christmas cookies were doomed from the beginning!

051

Snack

A couple of hours later, I broke out the jar of almond butter and chowed down. I didn’t even bother with a sliced banana this time. I just went right for it with a spoon. I probably ate 4 or 5 spoonfuls. Awesome snack.

058

Off to walk the pug and then go to CrossFit!

Health News & Views

I love the holiday season and everything it has to offer, but like a lot of people, it’s sometimes difficult for me to stick to my healthy habits. The hustle and bustle of holiday shopping, parties, and other events coupled with the never-ending temptation of delicious once-a-year treats test my willpower to eat healthy and motivation to stick to my regular exercise routine. It might be more difficult to stay healthy during this time of year, but I’m not willing to give up all together. I know even the smallest bit of effort adds up and makes a big difference, so here are some simple things I try to do almost daily to keep me happy and healthy during the holiday season.

8 Tips to Stay Healthy This Season

What’s the most random gift you’ve ever given or received?

I gave Anne a Lady Gaga singing toothbrush (pictured above) a few weeks ago. She got a kick of it! Haha!

P.S. It’s IBD Awareness Week! Here some ways you can help raise awareness!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I’m excited to see what you and Mal got for each other. it always blows my mind some of the super crazy gifts that are out there but they are kind of fun for gag gifts sometimes. :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 3, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Well, we had our chicago blogger bookclub this weekend and we did white elephant. The gift I got (and apparently purchased by my friend with me in mind…) was a box that looked like a book and painted with angels, with a soap bar inside shaped like an angel… it was by far the most random yet fantastically weird gift of the party.

Beks December 3, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I have a slight (ha!) obsession with Jane Austen. It was worse when I was in college. For my 23rd birthday, it was my senior year, and my best friend gave me a Jane Austen action Figure. She wears a green dress, and has a quill pen and writing desk. I’ve never taken it out of the packaging, but it’s hung up in my bedroom and dorm room ever since. :-)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } December 3, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Lol, the pictures of A Christmas Story stuff reminds me that we got my mom a full sized leg lamp for Xmas this year. Giving it to her early so she can display it proudly in the main window!

Emily @ Emily Eats and Runs December 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Looks like a fun trip to Wal-Mart! The most seemingly random gift I ever got was the game, Hungry Hungry Hippos, on my 18th birthday. It all made sense when I remembered that I had once told my friend (who bought the gift) that I had always wanted that game when I was growing up, but I wasn’t allowed to get it because my mom thought my younger sister would eat those little plastic balls!

Emily @ Emily Eats and Runs December 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm
    Nicole December 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm

That is crazy expensive for a mouth guard! I don’t know the exact reason for you wearing it…but my mom used to wear one because she clenched her jaw and would grind her teeth at night–Instead of the dentist recommended mouth guard she bought a mouth guard at a sporting goods store for less than $20. You boil it in water for a 30 seconds or so and then fit it to your teeth. She never had any problems with it! Maybe that could be a cheaper alternative for you!

laura December 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm

@Nicole:
    ha whoops, i just left a comment saying the same thing! what are the advantages to the super expensive one?

Tina December 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I’m guessing it fits better? My dentist said there are cheaper options, but they’re bigger and not as comfortable.

lauren December 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm

@Tina: I used to wear a mouth-guard because I grind/clench and got one at the drugstore. I suppose it was a little bulky, but for ~$25 it might be worth a shot? The one I had was the doctors advanced comfort. Another plus of that brand is that if the fit doesn’t seem right, you can call/write and they’ll send you another to try again!
    I’m wearing braces on my bottom teeth now, so now I “get” to wear a clear retainer on top. I’ve almost bitten through in less than a year, but supposedly it’ll be better once I’m wearing one on the bottom too. I’m just glad I don’t get headaches from clenching anymore.

Nicole December 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm

@Tina: Might be worth a shot to try a few different brands or options for you to save money? Good Luck!

mindy December 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm

@Nicole: @Nicole: Funny I just recently had this issue too – I had a mouthguard that I ground through, and lost, years ago…I got one online that I used for a bit but it made me nervous because it was loose in my mouth when I slept, so my answer for the last few years has been to ignore my (fairly serious) tooth grinding. Well – now I needed to do something about it, my teeth are getting messed up – so I asked my dentist (who charges 750!!! for a mouthguard) about getting one not custom made and he said they could do more harm than good.

Anyways – my answer was to call around to cheaper dentists and get one made through them. I found a dentist in Central Square who charged a total of $380 (including office visit) – so that’s what I wound up doing. Happy Hanukkah to me! But for real am glad I finally dealt with it, and didn’t spend $750.

luv what you do December 3, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Those cookies look awesome! Where is the recipe for them? I love making almond butter cookies. I keep them in the freezer for when I need a snack : )

Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete December 3, 2012 at 4:11 pm

When I was 13, one of my friends showed up to my birthday party with a cactus as her present to me. I had never shown any interest in plants or cacti, so it was particularly random and bizarre.

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! December 3, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Friends of ours gave us that motion-activated talking mistletoe…it’s actually pretty cute :) Looking forward to seeing what you got for Mal!

laura December 3, 2012 at 4:13 pm

question–i use a mouthguard too, and had a very expensive one until i ground a hole through that… went to a new dentist, and she said the ones from the pharmacy work just as fine, too, if you don’t want to pay the big bucks. Mine was $40 and prevents me from grinding tooth to tooth, so I’d say its working… what are the advantages of having the pricer mouth guard versus the kind you boil and bite and make yourself?

ps-love the random gifts in walgreens. they are so much fun to give!

Fizz Hiser December 3, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I’m Loving 24 Days of Togetherness, so far it’s been a blast! Today’s is ‘take a family photo’ so we’ll be doing that after work.
    The most random gift I ever got was during nursing school when a friend gave me a small laminated ‘Bristol stool chart’ (the chart used to determine the health of your stool, complete with pictures)! It wasn’t that random at the time, but finding it a year later in my wallet sure was! That took some explaining!

Sara @ fitcupcaker December 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I’ve been doing the 24 days of togetherness and I love it. We are buying a new Christmas ornament today! Looks like your xmas shopping was a good experience. Walgreen’s is always so random!

Laura@ Eat Right Newsletter December 3, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I can’t wait to see what you and Mal got each other! This time of year is the best! Random gifts are so fun! Once, I bought my friend hand sanitizer just because it had a cleaver phrase on the front, she loved it! The cookies you made look delicious, even if some of them were burned!

Kristen@Change of Pace December 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Those gifts are hilarious! They look really fun :)

Elisabeth December 3, 2012 at 5:11 pm

When I was in elementary school, my grandma got my cousin (1 year older) and I anatomically correct dolls ;)

Elisabeth December 3, 2012 at 5:12 pm

@Elisabeth:

Oh, and hers were twin girls & mine was a baby boy…ha!

Nicole @ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com December 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

One of the guys I work with randomly got me a fake cat that was made out of rabbit hair…it was so weird…he made me keep it on my desk for months.

Tina December 3, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Haha! That is a random gift!

Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real December 3, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I got live lobsters and a pot to boil them in from a client once as a Christmas gift. They were delivered to my house on dry ice and we had to have an lobster boil that evening. I hated to boil them myself but if I didn’t they would have died anyway. Very strange gift.

jane December 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

i just got a new mouthguard for $600….good times….

Tina December 3, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Ugh, they’re so expensive!

Monica December 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm

What a cute idea!

Shana December 3, 2012 at 6:27 pm

When you said “It’s all about the bowls this week” I couldn’t decide if you meant bowels instead of bowls! I mean, both serve pretty important functions! Derf.

Tina December 3, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Haha!

Anne P. December 3, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Matt and I totally brushed our teeth to Lady Gaga together last night. ;)

Miss you!

Tina December 3, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Yesssss! Miss you too!

Megan@funsizedfitness December 3, 2012 at 6:35 pm

My husband and I got a singing Justin Bieber card as a wedding gift (with money inside). Definitely the most memorable card ever!

Annette@FitnessPerks December 3, 2012 at 6:52 pm

HAha. Those are some random gifts!

Most random gift ever given….Hmmm? I can’t think of one! Lame!

Michelle December 3, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Ha those are all very interesting presents!

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I had my 6-month dental appointment today too! Yay for clean teeth :) I think the most random gift I ever received was a screenprint t-shirt that changed colors in the light. I’m pretty sure it went straight into the Goodwill pile!

Steph M. December 3, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I grind my teeth too. The mouthguard they wanted me to get cost over $1000. I ended up buying one at Walgreens for $40 (from the advice of my mother in law) and it works great!! FYI :)

Coco December 3, 2012 at 8:00 pm

When my cousin was little, she was afraid she wasn’t going to get any presents from Santa because she thought she had been bad that year. During the family Christmas Eve party, she took a stick of butter from my aunt’s fridge and wrapped it up: To Mallory, From Mallory. We talk about it every year!

Tina December 3, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Hahaha!

Kat December 3, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I would just like to let you know that the fact that you eat multiple spoonfuls of nut butter in one sitting makes me feel SOOO much better about my own addiction to the good stuff! I lost a lot of weight within the past year and even though I eat healthy and am active, sometimes I still feel guilty when I indulge…but after seeing that you can do it, I’ve been inspired to end the guilt trip. Thank you, you really are an inspiration for those trying to live a healthy, balanced life.

Tina December 3, 2012 at 9:02 pm
    Ed December 3, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Those look like some great white elephant gifts!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 3, 2012 at 8:21 pm

The most random thing I ever received was one of those shake weights from a co-worker! Google Saturday Night Live Video, oh my gosh, to funny!!

Lauren December 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm

We don’t really have any Walgreen’s around us but I do seem to find the most random little gifts at CVS. I have no idea why, but last year Toly asked for a drain snake and I only found it at CVS. Totally random but he was happy. :)

Jean December 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Wait, mouth guard? Is that, like, for grinding your teeth?

Angela December 3, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Btw, I made your lower cal sugar cookies the other day and they were great! I added a half cup of white chocolate chips, which i highly recommend. Thanks!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy December 3, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who considers nut butter an awesome snack, even if it’s on it’s own. My fav is definitely cashew butter…

Katy December 3, 2012 at 9:59 pm

HAHAHAHHA Those are some fantastic gifts. How did you pass on the Merry-okie?!

Danica @ It's Progression December 3, 2012 at 10:35 pm

that almond butter is my absolute favorite. SO good.
    My brother, sister, and I always do random gifts for each others’ birthdays. It makes it a lot more fun (with a lot less pressure) shopping, and we always love the stuff we get!

Kristen @ Happy Running Mama December 4, 2012 at 12:44 am

Ha! I was dying laughing at all the Walgreen gifts. Now I know where I’m buying my stocking stuffers for everyone in the family!

And, once again, I am suddenly hungry after reading one of your posts and seeing what you ate. I need to go see what leftovers I can throw together in a bowl. :)

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit December 4, 2012 at 12:51 am

Haha, what a great Christmas present. I’m a teeth grinder, too. Mouthguards are the sexiest! ;)

Tina December 4, 2012 at 6:49 am

@Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit: Haha! So true! :)

Tasha@Tashasdish December 4, 2012 at 1:06 am

I totally hear you about the mouth guard. When I first had to buy one I was shocked by how much they actually cost! I guess teeth are important…so its worth it :)

Nicole December 4, 2012 at 9:26 am

During a white elephant party I got a bra-gross. But the person who brought it spent the entire party trying to convince me it was new, and an expensive VS one. And I kept telling her it was huge and I’m not!

Tara December 4, 2012 at 10:20 am

Such strange gifts, I am sure I will see *atleast* one of these at our company yankee swap!
    I have to wear a mouthguard since I clentch my teeth too much and they crack : (
    I just got a cheapo from the drug store to try it and its fine.
    No way I am spending $600 when I can get a cheap one that does the same thing (and I am ok if I loose it or ruin it!)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 4, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I had no idea Walgreens had such awesome random stuff! I need to shop there more often to find some “original” gifts! haha

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 4, 2012 at 9:41 pm

What are these amazing Walgreens gifts?? Since when do they have stuff like that? Hahaha, oh that is too good. Fun gag gifts for the holidays :)