• Hanging With CaitlinHTP & Our 1-Year CrossFit Anniversary

December 6, 2012

You may have figured out who my special guest was from Twitter or her blog, but, if not, I had the pleasure of hanging out with Caitlin from Healthy Tipping Point yesterday. She was in town for an Operation Beautiful presentation at Northeastern University last night, so she stayed with me out in the ‘burbs instead of at a lonely hotel in the city, and, of course, I was more than happy to have her. We hadn’t seen each other since her last visit more than a year ago, so we had lots to catch up on!

024

Lunch

Caitlin arrived around lunch time and we were both starving, so she picked me up at my house in her rental car and we drove to Whole Foods for food. We went straight for the salad and hot bars.

002

When I was making my salad beast, the smell of delicious brewed coffee coming from the cafe immediately caught my attention, so I got a decaf coffee with soy milk.

003

After lunch, Caitlin and I went to visit her dad’s old house, which is just 7 miles from my house. Crazy, right? It was neat to see where her dad grew up. Small world!

Workout

The afternoon ended up flying by. Caitlin and I took Murphy for a quick walk and then it was time for Mal and me to go to CrossFit. Yesterday was our 1-year anniversary, so we went before class to do our very first WOD.

004

It was neat to see how much we improved in a year. The WOD was pretty easy for us, so we flew through both AMRAPs and racked up the rounds. I think we definitely did more rounds this time, but, sadly, neither of us took great records after our first WOD. One of our coaches helped us fill in the gaps about which equipment we used and how long each of the AMRAPs lasted, but we weren’t sure how many rounds we each completed. (According to a photo in my post about our first WOD, I think I did 5 rounds for the first AMRAP, but there’s no way I did 5 rounds for the second one. I did 5 rounds in 2:30 last night!) It was fun to reminisce about our first class too—one of our coaches even remembered what part of the gym we did the WOD! Oh, memories.

005 (750x563)

I was going to write this big, long post about CrossFit and how much it means to me, but you guys already know. I profess my love for it almost daily on CNC, so I’ll spare you the details and sum up by saying it been a life-changing experience.

On Tuesday evening, the night before our 1-year anniversary, Mal and I laid in bed and talked about how much things have changed in the past year thanks to CrossFit. We workout differently, we eat differently, and we have a whole new crew of friends. I never thought in a million years doing a CrossFit intro on a cold December night would lead to so many positive changes in my life. It’s been an amazing year, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds.

Dinner

After CrossFit, I reheated some Cheesy Shaved Brussels Sprouts & Onions for dinner. I made a huge batch earlier in the day just for this reason. Reheat and eat. I love this recipe.

006

Once I finished eating, I still wanted something more to eat… almond butter, obviously.

009

While I was eating almond butter straight from the jar, Mal asked Murphy if he wanted to help him figure out if the cheese I bought was cheddar or American. The label said cheddar, but it definitely didn’t taste like it. Naturally, the pug agreed to help, but Mal made him work for it.

013

Lefty high-five? Nope. Murphy is strictly a righty.

014

Mal and Murphy determined the cheese was indeed American, not cheddar.

017

I also broke open an Angry Orchard cider…

008

To enjoy in front of the fire! Yesterday’s 24 Days of Togetherness was “have a fire.”

021

Caitlin’s presentation went pretty late into the evening, so we hung out on the couch and waited for her to get home. Please note the pug loaf below.

022

When Caitlin got home, we chatted for a little while and then headed to bed. She was exhausted from a full day of travel and a busy evening. I’m just an old lady.

What time do you usually go to bed and wake up?

I usually go to bed around 9:30 PM and wake up at 6:00 AM.

Cindy December 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Nights when I have to work the next day I try to be in bed by 11. I managed that last night but was awake until 2am. :( My normal schedule is to be up until 12-2am and up between 10am-noon. Ah, the little luxuries of being a Ph.D student! I’m finally getting enough sleep and I don’t feel ill all the time from running on 5-6 hours a night. It’s so nice to get to wake up without an alarm and go with what my body wants.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 6, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I would actually love to hear more about how Crossfit has been life changing for you! I tried it for a couple weeks in this intro foundations class, and I liked it but not the gym/coaches where I was… maybe I should give it another try at a differentn box.

Amelia December 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I try to be in bed by 9:45 with lights out by 10 but lately I haven’t been in bed until 10:15. :( I’m up by 5 during the week and on weekends I “sleep in” until 6:30 or 7.

Michelle (Peachy Palate) December 6, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Bed at ten and up at half 6 or 7 these days – I used to do ten and up at 5…..which caught up on me! I know you’ve done lots of crossfit posts but it would be great if you did a simple then and now with the changes? :)

Jill Will Run December 6, 2012 at 5:20 pm

In bed by 10:45ish and awake by 5:50. I would prefer to NOT have that schedule, but I’m a new mom… baby’s needs take precedence over my own.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 6, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I’m an old lady too but I don’t know what it was yesterday but I couldn’t sleep and once I fell asleep I couldn’t STAY asleep. I’m hoping to stay awake long enough tonight to grab a drink with some friends…

Luv What You Do December 6, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I love that you have blogger friends that visit. So cool!
    Your spouts remind me of the recipe I just saw for brussel sprout chips. They look great! I usually go to bed at 10 and wake up at 6am although I stay up a little later on the weekends : )

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I’d actually kind of love to read a post like that about CrossFit has been life-changing. Go for it!
    Also, Mal’s pug shirt is awesome.

Michele December 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I really want to try Crossfit but I am so out of shape I don’t know if I could do it. There is one less than 5 minutes from my house. I actually did call them about a year ago to make an appointment for a class but they never called me back. Maybe I will try again. It’s great to hear how much it has changed your life.

Heather @ Dragonflygirlruns December 6, 2012 at 9:32 pm

During the week I am typically in bed by 10:30/11 and up by 4. During the weekend, depends on training – bed by 11:30/12 and up around 6!

Amy @ Eat Workout Succeed December 7, 2012 at 9:41 am

I have awful sleeping habits at the moment… i go up to bed at 9pm to read blogs but inevitably can be wide awake until sometimes 2am!! I think the caffeine and sugar i have in the day catch up with me… roll on my January detox. I get woken up about 7:30am by my little boy – i feel so tired so have a nap mid morning when he does… i really do not like this routine!

My plan for the new year is to cut the caffeine and sugar to see if this helps with my sleeping (so would like to have lights off by 10pm) and get up early (about 6am) to workout and shower before little one is awake… let see if i can do it!!!

Meghan@themeghamix December 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

Woot woot! Yay 1-year! I took crappy records (and by that I mean no records) my first two months of CF. In January 2012 I finally started using WOD Hub and am SO glad I did. At first I thought I wouldn’t really care about my 1-rep maxes…I just wanted to get fit. But now I totally care and always love seeing my progress when we repeat a WOD I’d done before.

We are up at 4:15/4:30 three days a week and usually around 5:30 twice a week (hubby is a personal trainer and CrossFit coach). Anytime we get to sleep till 6 or 7am is a treat. Our friends laugh because we often go to bed by 8:30 or even earlier! But sleep is important, so we do what we gotta do!

Alyssa December 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm

That’s crazy that it’s already been a year! You’ve made me pretty interested in trying CrossFit, but I’m just too broke to try that right now. (Oh, to be a college student). But I tried one of your home-based ones on Wednesday & I was pretty sore yesterday, even a little bit today! I can only imagine how difficult a real CrossFit class must be!

Hayley December 12, 2012 at 9:24 am