• New Year’s Eves of the Past

December 31, 2012

Happy (almost) New Year’s Eve!!!

Mal and I are getting pretty pumped to ring in 2013. Some of our friends rented out a bar, so we’re planning quite a different night than last year’s low-key NYE celebration (if you can even call it that).

Last New Year’s Eve, Mal and I took a red-eye flight home from Seattle, which got us back to Boston on New Year’s Eve morning, so we weren’t motivated to do much to celebrate. We ended up ordering takeout from Lime Leaf for dinner and going to bed even before the ball dropped. It was a nice night, but pretty uneventful.

2012 New Years Eve

Not surprisingly, I totally forgot what we did for New Year’s Eve 2012, so it was fun reading my recap this afternoon. Mal asked what we did the year before, so I dug up that post and then the previous years. We’ve had quite the range of New Year’s Eve celebrations over the years!

2011 – Dinner out

Mal and I had just moved into our house a couple months prior, so we decided to celebrate the New Year by having dinner at a local restaurant that received great reviews. Not surprisingly on NYE, the place was totally packed, so we snagged some seats at the bar and enjoyed a nice dinner and a couple of drinks there.

NYE at Stockholders

2010 – House party where I got drunk as a skunk

Mal and I invited friends to our apartment for a couple of drinks and then we walked to a friend’s house party, which was just a few blocks away. From what I remember of the night, I got super drunk playing Flip Cup and (of course) woke up with the worst hangover (perhaps of my life) the next morning.

flipcuponnewyears

2009 – House party with fun and games

Mal and I popped open a bottle of champagne at our apartment with a couple of friends and then we went to a house party where we played Beruit and card games. I know I had a few drinks, but it was nothing compared to NYE 2010!

2009

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was my usual French Toast Breakfast Scramble with two scoops of Teddie peanut butter. I also had some VSL#3 mixed with water, which I drink every morning.

009

A little while later, I poured myself a decaf iced coffee with almond milk to drink while I wrote this morning’s 2012 Goals in Review post.

011

After breakfast, I did a bunch of stuff around the house and then headed out to run some errands with Mal. Our first stop: Starbucks!

For Christmas, I received a Starbucks gift card, which was burning a hole in my pocket, so I suggested to Mal that we cash it in and grab some coffee. I ended up ordering an iced, decaf, grande, crème brulee Americano, which, after I ordered it, Mal pointed out was “quite a mouthful.” Haha! Hey, I know what I like!

015

After we got our Starbucks, we headed to the Derby Street Shoppes to make some exchanges/returns/purchases. Everyone else seemed to have the exact same idea because the place was crazy-busy!

017

Mal and I were all business making our exchanges and returns, but then we got a little distracted by the post-holiday sales at some of our favorite stores. I ended up buying a fun yellow, stripped sweater from Banana Republic for just $20. Banana’s sale stuff is an extra 40% off right now. Hop on that, people! I also got an additional 10% off for using my own reusable bag. I didn’t know BR did that! Cool!

018

Lunch

After shopping, I came home and made lunch, which was totally random, but it seemed to work. I ate some spaghetti squash mixed with peas and Sunshine Sauce.

019

And then I ate some peanuts.

020

And then a couple of chocolate-covered marshmallows.

013

Health News & Views

I’m planning to ring in the New Year with friends at a party where I know there will be plenty of delicious food, bubbly drinks, and loads of merriment. I sometimes get wrapped up in the festive atmosphere of special events like this and tend to overdo it. When the champagne is flowing, I use some little tricks to help me practice moderation while also having a blast ringing in the New Year!

How to Enjoy Food and Drinks in Moderation this New Year’s Eve

Weekly Workouts

• Sunday: Off
    • Monday: Off
    • Tuesday: Off
    • Wednesday: Hot yoga
    • Thursday: CrossFit
    • Friday: Run
    • Saturday: CrossFit

Reebok Gift Card Giveaway

Thanks to everyone who entered to win a $100 gift card from Reebok! Here’s your winner:

Margaret

Nanos!!! I really need new Crossfit gear!

Congrats, Margaret! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com to claim your prize.

What are your plans for ringing in the New Year tonight?

P.S. Breaking Bad fans: My friend Jon was commissioned by Bryan Cranston’s assistant to design the actor a Christmas present. Check out what he created!

Annette@FitnessPerks December 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Happy NYE to you guys! We’re with family –so some fun noisemakers, a great dinner, & playing in the snow & on the snowmobiles is on the agenda for the evening.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 31, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Sounds like you have a fun night ahead! We just got back in town yesterday and now I’m sick so I have a feeling tonight will be very low key and will involve an early bed time. Happy New Year!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin December 31, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I am addicted to Breaking Bad!! That’s so awesome. I am going out to a big event in San Francisco tonight with friends. Should be a ton of fun. Hope you and Mal have fun this year but you don’t wake up too hungover :)

sara @ fitcupcaker December 31, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Were celebrating at a friends house! I love looking back at previous years!

Hillary of GRAS Pizza December 31, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Totally cute sweater!

Kristen @ Change of Pace December 31, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Love that sunshine sauce! Looks like you’ve had tons of fun for New Years :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 31, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I have been trying to avoid the sales this post-holiday season because I know I do NOT have the money to spend. If it’s not on a gift card, it’s gotta go right to the bank!

Tre December 31, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Tina, I wanted to see where you got the I love sweat tshirt that your wearing in the flip belt post?

Thanks,
    Tre

Tina December 31, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Ali on the Run sells them! :)

kalli December 31, 2012 at 5:12 pm

you guys seem like such fun to hang out with! is you are ever in so cal you better look us up :)

Lauren December 31, 2012 at 5:25 pm

It’s so fun to go back and relive past holidays through the blog. I did the same thing this morning. I had no idea I had so much fun! :) Happy New Year Tina!

Luv What You Do December 31, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I love all of your photos from NYE past. This is my boyfriend and my 7th (!) NYE together…I should go looking for some of our past photos : )

Have fun tonight!

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 31, 2012 at 6:18 pm

We are heading out to a party with our friends in Chicago! We rented out a bar so it should be a fun time :) Happy 2013 to you!

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit December 31, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Happy New Year! Love the recaps, I too have had a few which have left me hurting the morning after, planning on a low key dinner out & then home to relax on the couch. I swear you could put that sunshine sauce on rocks & it would be awesome!

Jen December 31, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Hey I have the same sweater in grey and cream! I didn’t get that amazing sale when I bought it though. Nice work! :)

Kelly @ Running to Healthy December 31, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Your night sounds like fun! When I lived in Chicago, people would rent out bars all the time–my single days–ha! We went to Chili’s for dinner tonight and about to take my son to a party–not only does he have plans and we don’t, but now I’m stuck waiting up till past midnight to go pick him up. Guess we’ll do the Seacrest thing!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 31, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Happy New Year!!! Love the Banana Republic outfit. I didn’t know they give you a discount for bringing in your own bag, pretty cool to know!! Have a fun night!

Mandi @ Miles and Mascara December 31, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Its so fun to look back at previous years celebrations! Although, this year the hubs and I are doing the same thing we did 2 years ago: nothing. Case in point, he’s snoring next to me right now. ;) Hope you and Mal have a fun (and safe!) night tonight!!

Erika December 31, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Not doing anything major this year, just going to a comedy show at Staples Center with one of my best friends. Hope you have a great night!

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 1, 2013 at 3:23 am

This year, I went to a New Years Eve party at an Ice Rink….for broomball….

odd? Kinda. Fun? Heck, yes!

Khushboo January 1, 2013 at 4:26 am

Happy 2013, Tina!

Karen January 1, 2013 at 4:46 am

For the first time in a very long time I stayed in and celebrated with husband and kids. Much lower key but also less stress, no overeating and no hangover!

Allison W January 1, 2013 at 9:42 am

The yellow sweater looks great on you!

I love the Breaking Bad gift – how awesome.

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 1, 2013 at 10:43 am

that breaking bad christmas is hilarious!!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 1, 2013 at 11:24 am

Love the sweater; very cute!

She Rocks Fitness January 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I ended up going to Hoboken to a friend’s apartment and was in bed around 1:00 AM. I ate way too much pizza way too late. HA! Woke up early and took a much needed detoxifying yoga class. It was a great way to start the morning. Happy New Year!

Zoe January 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm

How do you like Hot Yoga? i’m incorporating it into my month of staying at home and just the very beginning of working into my half marathon training plan. So far, I love it! I wake up a bit more stiff than regular yoga but I really love the class and can feel myself working in new ways.

Tina January 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm