• Murphy’s Little Secret

December 14, 2012

Murphy has some exciting news to share this morning…

I_AM_A_REGISTERED_THERAPY_DOG

That’s right! My little pug-let is now a registered Therapy Dog!

For the past three weeks, the two of us have attended classes to become a Therapy Dog Team with an organization called Dog B.O.N.E.S. During the sessions, I learned all about what it takes to become a Therapy Dog handler, and Murphy was exposed to environments similar to those that we may visit.

001

I was actually a little nervous Murphy wouldn’t be able to do it because he gets so excited when he meets new people and will sometimes jump on them, but we practiced walking on a shorter 4-foot leash and figured out the best way for him to visit people, and he passed with flying colors!

021

TherapyDogTag

I’m so proud of Murphy! Check out his business cards! (“TD” stands for Therapy Dog.)

030

After graduating Therapy Dog school last night, Murphy, of course, was appropriately rewarded.

026

In the next couple of weeks, Murphy and I will start to visit hospitals, nursing facilities, schools, and other locations where Therapy Dogs are wanted. We’re both really excited!

P.S. This is adorable: Pugvent! <— pug advent calendar!

nicole December 14, 2012 at 10:56 am

Gooo Murphy! Your going to be brightening up lots of hospital visits!

michelle kim December 14, 2012 at 11:01 am

How awesome! Yay for Murphy (and everyone who he meets)!
    I could see why he’d be a good therapy dog… even the pictures of his cute pug face brightens my day :D

Scott December 14, 2012 at 11:19 am

Tina, THIS is amazing!

Meghan@themeghamix December 14, 2012 at 11:19 am

Aw, yay Murphy!

Shel@PeachyPalate December 14, 2012 at 11:21 am

Oh wow that is such an awesome thing to do! Can’t wait to hear more about his adventures!

Herbivore Triathlete December 14, 2012 at 11:21 am

What an awesome idea! I don’t know about Murphy, but my pug, Esther, craves a LOT of attention. Being a therapy dog would meet her need to be loved and spoiled and provide a great service at the same time. Way to go Murphy!

(Love the Pugvent!)

Katie December 14, 2012 at 11:29 am

Very cool!

Jean December 14, 2012 at 11:33 am

Murphy, TD MAY just be the best thing I’ve ever seen.

Kara December 14, 2012 at 11:39 am

This is so awesome!! I have seen firsthand the amazing effects therapy dogs can have on people who need them and you’re going to love love love it!! Good dog, Murphy!!

Vega December 14, 2012 at 11:40 am

Congratulations, Murphy! :)

Katie December 14, 2012 at 11:45 am

That is so cool! My dog would be kicked right out of class! LOL we wouldn’t make it past the first hello.

I think it’s amazing you are going to do that. It’s so needed :)

Delaney December 14, 2012 at 11:57 am

OMG!! I love it. Pugs are the best companion dogs : ) Great job Murph!

Carrie H December 14, 2012 at 11:57 am

Hi Tina, I’ve been reading FOREVER. :) I just want to say that I think it’s so cool you had Murphy certified as a therapy dog. I’d love to do this with my golden retriever one day. Good luck beginning your visits to people who will benefit from Murphy’s training and love soon!

Lauren December 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm

That’s great! Congrats Murphy (and to you Tina!)!! Our mini dachshund, Toby, is CGC Certified (Canine Good Citizen), so Therapy Dog is the next step. I’m definitely going to check out the program you did. I’m also a little worried about him being too excited when he first sees people. I like that they do the training in similar environments you’d be working in. Thanks for posting!

Margaret December 14, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Wow, that sounds like such a great program! So cool that you and Murphy and doing that. :)

carol December 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Congratulations to you and to Murphy for giving of yourselves so others can have enjoyable moments. That’s wonderful. Enjoy!

Annette December 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Aww…that is exciting news..Congrats to all of you!! Murphy is so cute and I’m sure his little pug smile will spread a little sunshine to everyone you visit :)

Jessica H. December 14, 2012 at 12:51 pm

AWESOME!!! GOOD FOR YOU GUYS!

Our school district has a therapy dog that lives and works with the elementary guidance counselor. Sooooo many good things have come of this addition to the school district!

Molly@ happy&healthy December 14, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Omg yay I’m so happy for y’all! My aunt has a therapy dog and she says it is so rewarding! Congrats, I know you’ll meet some truly inspiring people through this work!

Amelia December 14, 2012 at 12:52 pm

This is awesome! Love it and congrats!

Nicole December 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Congrats to you and Muprhy. That’s such a great thing to do. I started to pursue training Kostas to become a therapy dog but he’s just so big and strong that it would be tough (no pinch collars allowed).

Connie @ Livin' Lean December 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm

That’s so awesome!!! Congrats Murphy ;)

Ellie@Fit for the Soul December 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm

awww that is so awesome! I so love therapy dogs because they can make someone’s day so much brighter! It’s so cool of you to encourage your “child” to try hard, and that he passed! haha.

Paj December 14, 2012 at 1:55 pm

That’s awesome. I really wanted my dog to be a Therapy Dog too, but unfortunately she can be a bit too barky at times :(

Pug Paradise December 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Wow that is too cool! Congrats Murphy bet you loved your treats x
    What a good idea too you’re going to have so much fun meeting new people and helping them.
    From Polly and Peggy of pug-paradise.com x

Jonelle December 14, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Awesome! You’ll make such a difference in people’s lives. When my mom was in the hospital with cancer, a therapy dog came to visit her several times and it brought her so much joy :)

Ed December 14, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Cool go murphy!

Tempie @ The Texas Peach December 14, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I think that it is so great that you and Murphy are going to do this! Animals can have such a wonderful calming, comforting and healing effect on humans. I bet that you guys are going to be a great help to many people!

elizabeth December 14, 2012 at 3:12 pm

That’s so cool, congratulations Murphy! My pup was recruited to be a therapy dog and we’re going to get started with the process after the first of the year.

Katie @ A Full Plate December 14, 2012 at 3:32 pm

That is so wonderful! Congratulations to Murphy! We eventually want to register our dog as a therapy dog as well…she’s so sweet and gentle. It’s a great way to give back!

Lindsay December 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I work at Arbour HRI in Brookline and B.O.N.E.S comes to see our patients on Sundays! Maybe we’ll get a visit from Murphy someday!

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 14, 2012 at 4:32 pm

GO MURPHY! Now he’s going to have even more fans than he already does!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 14, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Aw! That is so adorable! great job Murphy!

BroccoliHut December 14, 2012 at 8:47 pm

What a wonderful idea! Dogs really are a great non-judgmental source of support, aren’t they?
    I’m afraid my dog would have the over-excitement issues though. She nearly knocked over Santa last week when we were getting pictures taken at PetSmart–and she’s just a Jack Russell!

Allie December 14, 2012 at 9:37 pm

i really love this!

Michele December 15, 2012 at 12:00 am

Very cool! My Mom has an American Eskimo that is a therapy dog. All the patients love her!

caren December 15, 2012 at 12:36 am

Yeah for murphy!! that’s a huge undertaking for a pug! they are typically quite stubborn (at least mine is), so they beat to their own drum.

Good for him!! that’s awesome!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance December 15, 2012 at 2:50 am

Is it wrong that I want to certify my pup just so I can take her everywhere with me!? :P

Krista December 15, 2012 at 3:02 am

Tina, this is so awesome. I remember when my dad was having open heart surgery, one of the therapy dogs walked by & visited with us. It was so nice just to have something to take your mind off what was happening at the time. I know Murphy will bring s lot of comfort to anyone he visits.

Erika December 15, 2012 at 3:49 am

Murphy has the cutest face!

Jessica December 15, 2012 at 6:38 am

I am a children’s librarian and we have a “Read to a Dog” program at our library. Check out that option if you’re interested. It’s great to see the kids gain confidence in their reading fluency and become more comfortable around dogs.

Kristin December 15, 2012 at 6:53 am

Congrats Murphy! That little pug face will brighten up anyone’s day!

Jolynn December 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

Aw how fun!!

Emma December 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm

That is so awesome! Can anyone do that?

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail December 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm

AWESOME!! I have wanted to do this with Cooper!

Amber December 15, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Oh my goodness, thanks for posting this! I would love to do this with my golden retriever pup. Please keep us posted on your therapy dog endeavors!!!!

Dynamics December 16, 2012 at 12:18 am

Congrats!!! Testing is challenging, way to go Murph. My daughter was licensed through Delta Society and Create-A-Smile and worked exclusively with child abuse kids who were removed from their homes and taken to a secret hospital to be evaluated before placement. This is a very rewarding job. It is amazing what an animal can due to help people. I am so glad therapy dogs are now accepted most places. When we started it was a struggle sometimes to just get in the door. How far we have come. Tina, you may now be able to take Murph places you could not before if he is wearing his jacket.

Jewels December 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Congratulations Murphy! You are going to do awesome..you know why…because you are an awesome dog and your spirit and personality show it! :-)

sherice@foodieluvsfitness January 23, 2013 at 7:48 pm