• Holiday Favorites Survey

December 22, 2012

I saw this Holiday Favorites survey on Julie’s blog the other day and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I love the holidays in a big way, so here are my responses to the questions. Feel free to share some of your favorites in the comment section. Happy holidays, friends!!

Favorite Holiday Cookie

I actually have a new favorite holiday cookie: Andes Crème De Menthe Cookies. I made them for Thanksgiving and they were a huge hit with my family, so I’m planning to make them again for a couple of upcoming Christmas get-togethers. They’re basically thick sugar cookies with hunks of mint and chocolate. Is there anything better?

AndesCremeDeMentheCookies

Favorite Holiday Song

Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You.” It always reminds me of Love Actually (a Christmas movie favorite) and puts the biggest smile on my face. It also makes me want to dance for some reason. I love this song so much, my Pandora has been set to the “Mariah Carey – ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’” station since Thanksgiving Day, and I’ve pretty much listened to it non-stop.

Favorite Holiday Movie

It’s a toss up between Home Alone and Elf, but, after much thought, I’m going with Elf. It just cracks me up so much! “SANTA! I know him!” I lose it every time.

Elf

Favorite Holiday Tradition

I’ve really loved doing 24 Days of Togetherness with Mal, so that’s my (new) favorite holiday tradition. I know it’s only the first year we’ve done it, but I’m positive we’ll keep it up for many years to come!

HappyHolidays_FamilyPic

Favorite Holiday Breakfast

Every Christmas morning for as long as I can remember, my mom, sister, and I eat Pillsbury Cinnamon Buns for breakfast. Even though our plans have changed throughout the years,  we always manage to eat cinnamon buns together on Christmas.

cinnamonbuns

Favorite Holiday Meal

The Christmas Eve buffet at my grandmother’s (or aunt’s) house is my favorite holiday meal. My family likes to try new recipes, so there’s always fun and interesting dishes as well as old standbys from years past. And, of course, there’s always a million desserts, so I usually leave with a happy, stuffed belly.

christmasevedesserts

Favorite Person to Shop For

My mom and sister. I typically buy them a mix of practical and ridiculous/funny presents, so it’s always fun to watch them open them.

samepresents

Favorite Way to Open Presents

Stockings first with coffee in hand and then presents! We’re big into stocking stuffers!

stockings

Favorite Tree Topper

Well, Mal and I actually don’t have a tree topper. We’ve had 7 Christmas trees together now, but have yet to buy one. Maybe this year will be the year we actually do. We just need to decide between an angel or star or something else?

What tops your Christmas tree?

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More December 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I have an angel for the top of my main tree. I have had it for 20+ years. It was on my parents try when I was a kid. We sometimes have more than one tree. For the second tree, I use three large bows as a topper. So pretty! The theme of the second tree seems to change each year. It’s fun to change it up!

Ali December 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm

We put our dog’s Santa hat on the top of the tree one year when we couldn’t find the star and now it’s grown on us and we do it automatically.

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 22, 2012 at 1:10 pm

We use a star at the top of our tree. I am also a HUGE stocking fan!! It’s the best part about Christmas gifts!! My mom wasn’t going to do them this year but I convinced her that they were integral to Christmas morning ;)

Elisabeth December 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm

We don’t have a tree topper either. Most years we have a giant bow with streamers down the length of the tree, but it was looking bad last year & we never got a new one made. Task for next year!

Sandra December 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Our tree topper is a beautiful cardinal. We did it on a whim when the expensive bow I had made at Michaels was made about 3 ft too short. So we hit up the stores and found tweety!

Kristen @ Change of Pace December 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

We watched Elf again this year and there were so many parts I missed! I was cracking up all over again. We’ve watched Home Alone too. We have a star on our tree. :)

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com December 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I don’t have a topper either. If I did, I think I’d prefer a star. My favourite breakfast is smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. I bought the ingredients today!

Katie @ skinnyminniemoves December 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I have a pink sparkly star! I def agree100% about Mariah! I always dance around like a fool lol

Erika December 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm

The “SANTA! I know him!” part is my favorite! lol Love that movie

Victoria December 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Did you see when Mariah performed that song with Jimmy Fallon, some kids, and a bunch of people playing toy instruments? The result was fantastic! Plus, I’m always pleased when pop singers get a chance to show they really can sing.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm

White Christmas is HANDS DOWN my favorite Christmas movie. it never quite feels like christmas until we watch it.

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills December 22, 2012 at 4:57 pm

We enjoy cinnamon rolls for breakfast every year too. I love holiday traditions!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 22, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Nothing tops my tree! We bought a tree topper one year after Christmas but it was too heavy and would not stay up. Now it would almost seem weird to have something topping our tree because we are so used to having nothing!

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life December 22, 2012 at 5:57 pm

That song is my favorite Christmas song too ONLY because it reminds me of Love Actually! I love that movie!

Kelly December 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm

We have a very strange looking angel that my hubby and I bought our first Christmas as a married couple. I’m sure it cost a couple dollars at most but I can’t seem to upgrade due to sentimental reasons. We endure a lot of hassle from our kids every year because they think she is creepy–ha!

BroccoliHut December 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm

We didn’t have a tree topper until this year either–I kept trying to make one out of ribbon or other materials around the house but finally decided to just go ahead and buy a snowflake topper :)

Becky December 22, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Have to go with “other” for the tree topper. There are so many non-traditional ones that look great. Christmas morning stockings with coffee – PERFECT start to a wonderful day with family!

Melissa @ A Girl Called Cake December 22, 2012 at 8:32 pm

For years we’ve had a sparkly star for our tree topper but this year I was at Target and found a pink and white silly owl tree topper. I had to buy it immediately and thankfully my husband thought it was funny so he went with it.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Love Andes Crème De Menthe Cookies!! So good!! I hate to say it, but I have never seen Elf! I really need to, so many people tell me it’s hilarious!! You all looks so cute, especially Murphy in his hat!!

Sara @ fitcupcaker December 22, 2012 at 10:06 pm

We have a star on ours, and even though its leaning a little it still shines bright!

kim@hungryhealthygirl December 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

My husband have his grandma’s tree topper. It’s an angel and over 20 years old….very special to us.

Tina December 23, 2012 at 8:38 am

Aww, that’s sweet! :)

Stefanie December 23, 2012 at 2:31 am

My husband and I just got an angel tree topper this year, and it’s our 4th Christmas together. I finally found a brunette angel that didn’t look too creepy at Michaels, so I was excited to buy it.

Annette December 23, 2012 at 12:31 pm

My tree topper are 2 giant star ornaments that were too big for our tree.We placed them back to back, so it gives them a 3d look.

BTW…I made the Andes Creme De Menthe cookies and they were delish!!! I couldnt find the Andes chips, so I used the hersheys’s kisses mint truffles, cut up into chip size pieces…YUMMERS!!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Tina December 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Yay! So glad you liked them!!

mary @ minutespermile December 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm

All I Want for Christmas is You is my favorite, too! No song makes me happier. Especially the Glee cover.

Taylor December 23, 2012 at 1:59 pm

We have a big top hat for our tree topper! It looks like Frosty the Snowman’s hat haha it looks super cute on the tree.

Karey @ Nutty About Health December 23, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Great survey! I love the look of those cinnamon rolls… making me awful hungry!! We have a little silver star atop our tree.

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife December 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Love this survey! I think I am going to do it, too :)

we have an angel for the top of our tree that is kinda falling apart so I wanna find a new one!

& I really want to try those cookies!!

MD December 29, 2012 at 9:13 am

I saw buy both an Angel and Star. We have an Angel, but some years, I feel like I wish we had a Star!

Ananda R. December 29, 2012 at 3:30 pm

It’s very aggravating to click a link that you have marked as a recipe and find that you have to click another link and then yet another link to sift through old blog posts in order to find the actual recipe.