• Happy Holidays to You

December 18, 2012

Good morning!

Remember when Mal, Murphy, and I took a family photo for our 24 Days of Togetherness? Well, all of your suggestions to have holiday cards made inspired me to send them to our family and friends, so thank you for the motivation. And, more importantly, HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you!!!

011

What do you think of our holiday cards? (FYI: I used Vistaprint.com to make them.)

Breakfast

Before bed last night Mal hinted that he wanted pancakes for breakfast this morning. Ok, he didn’t hint at all. Instead, totally joking, but not really joking, he said: “You should make me pancakes for breakfast tomorrow morning.” Ha! Mal is pretty awesome, so I agreed and whipped up some OMG Pancakes for him (and me) before school this morning. I topped my pancakes with almond butter and drank a glass of decaf iced coffee with SO Delicious Nog.

024

Health News & Views

With the New Year right around the corner, I want to stick to my healthy habits, but I want to splurge a little too, so this recipe for Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins is the best of both worlds. There’s plenty of chocolate to indulge your taste buds (cocoa and dark chocolate chips), but nutritious and low-calorie canned pumpkin replaces some of the calories and fat while the “mini” size provides portion control, so you can enjoy one—or two—muffins without guilt!

chocolatechipminimuffins_thumb1

Sandy Hook 5K

This morning, a reader emailed me about a road she and some other folks are organizing in Connecticut to honor the children and teachers who lost their lives on Friday. Besides the actual race in CT, they are also organizing a nationwide virtual race. Check out their Facebook group for more info and how to get involved.

In your opinion, what’s the BEST part about the holidays?

Haley @ The Saucy Apple December 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Your nail polish matches your nut butter! :) Love it.

My favorite part of the holidays is being conscious about slowing down and enjoying the little moments with family and friends. The cooler weather outside (though “cool” is relative here in Houston) also makes those memories seem all the warmer. :)

Lauren @ Powered by Oatmeal December 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I love Christmas pictures! Last year I had no clue what to get my mom (the woman who has everything) and made my adult brother and sister dress in red tops with jeans and hauled em down to the mall for a picture with Santa. It stays on display year round =)

ONE of my favorite parts about the holidays is my post-presents, pre-eating run. It gives me time to reflect on the year, what I’m thankful for, gives me time to appreciate my family (while also getting a break from their craziness), and to be happy that I’m healthy and able to do things for myself as well as for others. Then of course showering off and hitting the kitchen to prepare something delicious for everyone – the best way to show you care!!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul December 18, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Ahhh love the card! It’s so cute and I’m sure everyone will love it. How did you make ‘em? With your computer, at a photo developing stationn?

Tina December 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Vistaprint.com! :)

Annette December 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm

My favorite part of the holidays is the time BEFORE Christmas..I love the shopping, wrapping, decorating and baking of it all!! Love your cards…Happy Holidays!!

Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real December 18, 2012 at 1:38 pm

My favorite part of the holidays is baking with my kids. They love to bake and decorate sugar cookies and gingerbread men. I like spending time with them AND getting to eat cookies.

Ashley @ Coffee, Cake and Cardio December 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Love the photo!!! So cute!

Annette@FitnessPerks December 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Cute photo!

My fav part of the holidays is spending time with those I love remembering why we celebrate such a special time :)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats December 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm

My favorite time about the holidays is the preparation. I love to decorate the house and tree with my family, bake cookies with family and shop with my mom!

Fizz @ fizzsbizz.com December 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm

My favorite pre-Christmas stuff is shopping for my family. I love picking things out for them and trying to find special sentimental little presents.
    On Christmas I just love waking up with my family, all being together and just enjoying each others company, listening to Christmas music and sipping on some fun holiday beverages!

Kristen @ Change of Pace December 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Adorable Christmas card! I can’t believe Christmas is next week. I’m not sure if I’ve had enough Christmas yet :(

Tina December 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I know, right?! It’s so soon!

Anna December 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Just an FYI-the chocolate chip mini muffins link goes to a “page not found” address :-(

Tina December 18, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Really? That’s so strange! Try this link: http://news.health.com/2012/12/17/chocolate-chip-mini-muffins/

Anna December 18, 2012 at 3:52 pm

@Tina: thanks!

Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution December 18, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I live pretty far away from my family, so the best part is seeing them on the holidays. I don’t need any presents, as long as I’m with them!

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Love the holiday card – super cute! I think the best part of the holiday is season is being able to spend much needed time with family and friends and enjoy seasonal treats! :)

Sara @ fitcupcaker December 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I just love being around family!! And I will def be trying those muffins!

Lauren December 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I love the cards!!! Happy Holidays to you too my dear! :)

Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete December 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Murphy looks so much like the Grinch in that photo, it’s hilarious!

Tina December 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm

He’s totally the Grinch! Haha!

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit December 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Love the Holiday Card!! :D So cute – I especially love Murphy’s face (lol) and Mal’s pug shirt. And, thanks so much for the info. on the Sandy Hook 5k. :)

Whitney @ Yoga Pancake December 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Your holiday card is really cute!

I love the family time around the holidays. It’s so cheesy to say that but it is really great to get together every year.

Jill December 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Just connected with the folks running the 5k for the Sandy Hook community. Thanks for posting it. I m also in Boston and would love to get a race going here.

Mari December 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Love the Christmas card! Murphy looks so grumpy….hilarious!!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Hmm best part of the holidays … I guess I should say spending time with family, and that’s certainly one of the best parts haha. But I also honestly love having 2 weeks off, eating yummy foods, and watching silly Christmas movies! ;)

Tina December 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Katie December 18, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I have that same shirt Mal is wearing in the Xmas pic! Our first card this year was my husband, me, and our pug too.

My favorite part about the holidays…all of our family traditions, can’t pick just one!

Tina December 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Aww! Great minds think alike! :)

mary @ minutes per mile December 18, 2012 at 5:44 pm

best part about the holidays is giving gifts & seeing family!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance December 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

LOVE your xmas cards!!! Cutest little family ever!

My favorite part is definitely getting family together. My family is spread out between here in Scottsdale, Chicago, and New York, so it is difficult to see everyone but we get enough people together to make it like when we lived in Chicago.

Catherine December 18, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Thank you again so much for posting the link to the Sandy Hook 5K for me! :-) Love your Christmas card! :-)

Erika December 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I love when egg nog comes out for the holidays. I know it’s not the healthiest drink but it tastes sooo good!

Herbivore Triathlete December 18, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I said it when you posted the original photo, but I love Murphy’s Grinch-iness, and Mal’s shirt totally ROCKS!

Thanks for the info on the virtual 5K for Sandy Hook, I will definitely be doing that.

Lindsay December 19, 2012 at 6:57 am

That photo is perfection, and Mal’s shirt is hilarious!

My favorite part of the holidays is being with family. We haven’t been “home” for 2 Christmases now, being stationed in Korea, but funny enough, here~ we’ve made a new kind of family filled with friends all over the world. I still miss my mom, dad, and everyone, but Christmas is now a time to be grateful and loving for whomever I’m with;)