• Christmas Day 2012

December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas, friends! I hope Santa was good to you and you were able to spend some quality time with those you love today. I had a wonderful Christmas and it started with waking up to fresh snow—a white Christmas, which is pretty much the only time I like snow.

WhiteChristmas

Once Mal and I showered and got ready for the day, we headed out in search of iced coffee. Of course, the pug came along for the ride. It was Christmas and he was too excited to sleep!

039

Hooray! We found a Dunkin Donuts open on Christmas Day!

DunkinDonutsOpenonChristmasDay

Coffee run for the fam.

DunkinDonutsRun

Back at my in-laws, everyone was awake, a fire was roaring, and breakfast was cooking—it was a perfect Christmas morning.

047

On the menu for breakfast: bacon.

043

Crème Brûlée French Toast <— holy crap, this was amazing!

046

And mimosas.

045

Yummmmmm!

049

After breakfast, we opened presents and relaxed for awhile.

050

Around 12:30 PM, we headed to my mom’s house for another Christmas celebration.

053

Hi, Lucy! Meow.

052

051

I love how Batman and Murphy have fancy, embroidered Christmas stockings while the sons-in-law have recycled stockings with black electrical tape! Haha!

060

Sisters!

055 (750x563)

While lunch cooked, we snacked on some Doritos with melted cheese and salsa, which was my mom’s delicious brainchild. Cheese + more cheese = genius!

056

While we snacked, we opened our stockings, which is my favorite part of Christmas.

062

My sister got two new pink birds for her “pink bird Christmas tree” this year.

063

“Pink bird Christmas tree”? I’m surprised I’ve never told this story on CNC before.

Back when my sister was a kid, my mom bought her a plastic pink bird with feathers for the Christmas tree. She thought it was really cool and hung it on the tree. Well, our cat, Honey, thought it was a real bird or something and ripped it off the tree and shredded it to pieces. My sister was so upset and cried and cried and cried about her pink bird.

A few years later when we took out the ornaments to hang on the Christmas tree, we found my sister’s mangled pink bird. (If you look closely in the photo below, it’s on the left side, halfway down the tree. It’s that brown-pink thing.) I can’t remember who brought up the pink bird drama from years before, but we all had a good laugh about it. Since then, either my mom or I buy my sister a pink bird for Christmas every year. She has so many now, we’ve started a “pink bird Christmas tree” to keep them all.

064

After stockings, it was time to open presents!

065

Yay!!! Mal and I got new towels and we were psyched! (It’s kind of funny how excited we get about things like towels nowadays.)

066

067

A little while later, it was time to eat lunch, which was a roast.

069

With red mashed potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts.

068

Delish!

071

Merry Christmas!

072 (2)

How was your Christmas? What’s the best gift you gave or received?

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } December 26, 2012 at 8:26 am

Looks like you had a wonderful day! I love seeing everyone’s happy holiday photos :) I’m not sure what the ‘best’ gift was I received this year … maybe my Publix Gift Card actually lol. I *love* food shopping!

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 26, 2012 at 8:31 am

My husband and I also went out for an early Christmas coffee run yesterday morning – I was SO happy to see that Starbucks was open! I think the best gift I received this year was a new blender for my protein smoothies :)

michelle kim December 26, 2012 at 8:45 am

What a wonderful day! That French toast sounds amazing!
    The best gift I got was from my younger brother… tights from Athleta! It’s something I definitely needed but never mentioned to him. I don’t know how he knew to get a pair for me!

Elizabeth Harrison December 26, 2012 at 8:55 am

Hey Tina. Love your blog and my question is totally unrelated to the question you posed, but Merry Christmas & New Year anyway. :) I am wondering if you have any blogger friends that have a similar site to yours that is geared towards gluten-free living??

Tina December 26, 2012 at 10:09 am

Caitlin from Healthy Tipping Point has a gluten-sensitivity and doesn’t eat much gluten.

Katie H. December 26, 2012 at 8:55 am

I love getting a peek into other people’s celebrations. Looks like you had a very merry Christmas!

Kaitlyn December 26, 2012 at 9:11 am

Sounds like a great Christmas! The best gift i received is a tie between my Keurig and iPad!!

Danica @ It's Progression December 26, 2012 at 9:28 am

Sounds like a great Christmas!!
    We spent the day relaxing with family too and then came home to have Christmas with just my husband and I (eat dinner, open stockings, exchange gifts, etc.)

Karey @ Nutty About Health December 26, 2012 at 9:28 am

Looks like a great x-mas, especially since it started w/coffee. :) Ours was ok. Chill & low-key. We went to see the new movie Django Unchained & it was SO GOOD!! Best we’ve seen in a LONG time.

Lindsay's List December 26, 2012 at 9:32 am

Merry Christmas, dear friend!! I’m so glad you had a good day!

Tina December 26, 2012 at 10:08 am

Merry Christmas! Miss you, friend!

lynn @ the actor's diet December 26, 2012 at 9:44 am

merry xmas tina! it was definitely a weird one for me, as my father passed this year and it was my first one without him. but so great to be with my mom – not really about gifts or food, just family.

Tina December 26, 2012 at 10:08 am

I hear ya. We were missing my Grampie a lot this year. Glad you spent some quality time with your mom.

Michelle December 26, 2012 at 9:44 am

The best thing I got was a new camera lens. I’m in love!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

The best thing I got was a VITAMIX! I still can’t believe it.

Tina December 26, 2012 at 10:06 am

Awesome! :)

kim@hungryhealthygirl December 26, 2012 at 10:04 am

The pink bird Christmas tree is hilarious! Looks like you had a great Christmas!

sara @ fitcupcaker December 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

I finally got a new phone. Mine was a piece!! I got so excited for my kitchenaid mixer too!

Beks December 26, 2012 at 10:13 am

I laughed so hard when I realized my favorite present was semi-practical. I bake a lot, and have been having a rough time finding a cupcake carrier that won’t destory my cupcakes (Cardboard boxes do NOT work!). I got a 3-1 carrier for regular cupcakes, mini cupcakes and regular cakes. Awesome!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles December 26, 2012 at 10:26 am

A white Christmas! That is awesome. And the breakfast looks amazing.

The Kidless Kronicles

Angela@The Chicken Scoop December 26, 2012 at 10:31 am

What a nice day! How terrible that I didn’t take pictures of any people yesterday! LoL, you did a great job!

My favorite gifts I gave this year was a Keurig for my mother-in-law who was way more excited than I thought she’d be and a camcorder for my mom who I knew would love it!
    ~Ang

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More December 26, 2012 at 10:39 am

My oldest brother got towels this year, too. He was pretty excited about it! ;-)

My favorite gift was my new Nike Dual Fusion shoes. They are periwinkle with coral and beautiful!

Maureen December 26, 2012 at 10:54 am

That french toast looks amazing. I’m hungry just looking at it. I always get excited about the most random things at Christmas. This year my dad gave my brothers and I survival kits with flash lights, radios, emergency food, can opener, utility knife, and a spork. Easily the most creative gift this year. I’m all set for the zombie apocalypse.

vanessa December 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

Well i guess some people will always have to work if there continues to be a demand for it! I was actually really happy to see most dunkin’ donuts in NH were closed yesterday, so that people could enjoy the holidays/time off. Oh well.

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com December 26, 2012 at 11:20 am

We had a lovely day, thank you, and it looks like you did. It was our first year without my Gran, but we went to the cemetery and left some chocolates for her and my grandad so they could join in!

Katie December 26, 2012 at 11:25 am

Merry Christmas to you! Best gift I gave was a 99cent fart cup to my niece… lol don’t judge I spent a lot of money on her and she liked that the best… kids ;)
    And best I received was a new camera for my blog!!!! Yay!

Lisa December 26, 2012 at 11:41 am

Our Christmas this year was quite comical! Everything seemed to go wrong…vehicles breaking down, people sick, the meal flopped…lol we just had a big laugh over it all and plowed ahead anyway. Hey thats memories right? My favorite gift was some perfume I got from my hubby.

Katie December 26, 2012 at 11:46 am

I love hearing about people’s traditions–like a pink bird tree. Haha. My most favorite gift I GAVE this year was a calendar that I created full of family pictures and such (baby pictures included) for my dad. My sister has made one for him the past few years, but I was proud of my masterpiece that I created after plenty of old picture scanning.

Ashlee December 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm

We had a white Christmas in Texas too!! I was so excited. But just like you, it’s about the only time I really like the snow.

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills December 26, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Do you ever go to Starbucks? If you take your dog (through the drive-thru) they will give you a puppy latte for FREE if you ask! I am sure if you go inside you can get one too but the dog would have to stay in the car.

This Christmas I got a Keurig! I had been using my mom’s but now I have my own to take back to school with me. Such a great present

Khushboo December 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

That French toast sounds amazing- Merry Christmas!

Vicki December 26, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I think that my boyfriend hit the nail on the head this Christmas. He got me a pair of moccasin slippers from LL Bean, a Diet Journal / Daily planner and a $200 gift card to a local spa. I recently relocated to be with him, and was really sad when I had to say good my to my old massage therapist and spa. I’m eager to try this place out, I miss my monthly massages!

Annette@FitnessPerks December 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Awwww Merry Christmas! What an awesome day <3 We had a white one too–lovely!

GJ December 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I gave my mom a shih tzu umbrella. She has a shih tzu which is her baby. Truly not sure if she loves him more then me:) Anyhow though it is a cheapy gift my mom has everything under the sun so I try to think outside the box.
    Starbucks was open where I live too and even some grocery stores which I was surprised about. I don’t celebrate Christmas and did go to Starbucks but think all places should be closed so people can spend time with their family.
    Happy belated holidays

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife December 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I gave my husband a skydiving package – & I’m going, too! We are both really nervous but super excited, too!

Tina December 27, 2012 at 9:07 am

FUN! That’s an awesome gift!

Katie December 27, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I’m curious who is the older sister? :) I am the oldest of 3 girls.

Tina December 27, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I’m older! :)

Kristi @ lifesprinkles December 27, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I love that pic of Murphy sitting with his arm on Mal’s leg – he looks so human! :)

the creme brulee french toast sounds amazing!!

Gwen December 29, 2012 at 11:53 am