• Beauty Products I’m Loving Lately

December 4, 2012

Do you remember my What I Want Now series? If you’re not familiar, it was a monthly feature on CNC that I “borrowed” from Lucky magazine. In each issue, the “What I Want Now” article features a fashion editor’s top picks and must-haves for the season. On CNC, it’s just stuff that really I love, so here are some new (and old) beauty products I’m loving right now!

Please note: Some of the products below are linked to my Amazon Affiliates store for easy access, but, just so you know, I’d never promote a product I wasn’t 100% behind and, in this case, in love with. Many thanks for your support!

Aveeno Active Naturals Living Color Shampoo

I color my hair every 4 or 5 months, so I’m always in search of an AFFORDABLE color-preserving shampoo. I’ve purchased expensive ones from the salon (and CVS) over the years, but it kills me to spend even more than $10 on a bottle of shampoo (which probably stems from my dad telling my sister and me to wash our hair with bar soap when we were kids), so I love that this one is not expensive and works so well. It really lathers up and leaves my hair soft and shiny. I’ve only been using it for about a month now, but it definitely seems to protect my color.

026

Aussie 3-Minute Miracle Moist Deeeeep Liquid Conditioner

I bought this product on a whim—it was on super-duper clearance, so I figured I had nothing to lose by spending a couple of bucks on it—and I ended up totally loving it. It smells amazing (coconut) and really moisturizes my hair, especially the dry ends. After I shampoo, I put it on my hair and finish the rest of my shower routine before I rinse. It leaves my hair moisturized and incredibly soft. The best part: Even when it’s not on clearance, it’s still a really affordable moisturizing treatment.

027

Neutragena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub

This is an oldie, but goodie! I’ve actually blogged about it a couple of times in the past—I’ve used it for years and love it—but I recently switched to Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub for a more “natural” option. Sadly, it didn’t work as well, so I returned to the Nuetragena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub and my skin looks great again (cutting back on sugar helps too). I’ve struggle with breakouts for my entire life and this stuff works the best for me.

029

GNC Biotin 5000

GNC sent me a bottle of Biotin 5000, which I’ve been taking regularly for a few weeks now. I used to take Phytophanere Dietary Supplement – Hair & Nails, which worked awesome, but it’s pretty expensive ($50 for 120 capsules), so I wanted to find a cheaper option, and I’m happy to report I’m already noticing some amazing differences in my nails, skin, and hair!

030

Sarah McNamara Miracle Skin Transformer Treat & Conceal Eye & Face

This is easily the best concealer I’ve ever used. I’ve tried all sorts of them over the years and never really found one I liked. They either ended up cake-y or not covering completely. I still remember the first time I used the Miracle Skin Transformer Treat & Conceal Eye & Face on a blemish, and I was pleasantly surprised by the results—like holy crap, this stuff actually works! Like other concealers, I figured with a couple of applications and maybe some foundation mixed in, it would work okay, but I used only one little dab and I was good to go! Best stuff ever.

036 (750x563)

Maybelline Full ‘N Soft Mascara

This is another oldie, but goodie and a product I replaced with a “better” one (aka $23 mascara, which I initially liked, but then realized it wasn’t anything special), only to return to it. I have stubby, little eye lashes, so I’m always trying to find an awesome, natural-looking mascara. Maybelline’s Full ‘N Soft is the best I’ve found over the years and (with a coupon, and on-sale at CVS, obviously), it costs around $5. Can’t beat that price!

033

Kiehl’s Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate

When I was in DC for the Army 10-Miler, my friend Katie raved about Kiehl’s products. My old boss at Harvard loved them too (he also raved about them), so I bought a few to see what all of the hype was about. Well, Kiehl’s products are frickin’ amazing! I wish they weren’t so expensive, but the price is worth it. I’ll find other places to save money!

I’ve tried all sorts of serums and creams for fine lines and dull-looking skin, but none of them really wowed me. Kiehl’s Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate, however, is something special. I noticed a difference right away. It smelled great (citrus/orange) and made my skin so soft. In the weeks that followed, my skin evened out and brighten even more. The only “bad” part about this product is that it doesn’t last long. I usually use 2-3 pumps per use, so I’m already halfway through the bottle. Now I see why Kiehl’s is an expensive habit!

031

What beauty products are you loving right now?

SANDRA December 5, 2012 at 7:54 am

Thanks! Now my wallet is $45 lighter. I bought the Kiehl’s. Hope I love it like everyone seems to. I’m a sucker for skin care products! :-)

Lauren @ Lettuce Eat Cake December 5, 2012 at 9:12 am

I completely second the Aveeno color-preserving shampoo recommendation. Sadly, at 28 I already have quite a few grays, so I use at-home color every few months. I always select a reddish shade, and then it fades to a brown pretty quickly. With this shampoo, I’ve totally noticed the red hasn’t faded much at all. I also feel like it balances moisturizing with adding body. Definitely impressed!

Tina December 5, 2012 at 10:20 am

Agreed about body and moisturizing!

tammy brown December 5, 2012 at 10:01 am

I recently switched over to Pureology for my hair and loving it. It’s expensive but it’s totally transformed my hair. I love Tarte cosemetics as they are free of parabens and all the other yuckies you find in conventional make up. My go to face wash since high school is St. Ives. They have an oil free one that is an exfoliatant as well. I truly helps with my break outs. And it’s paraben free as well!

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

I am totally going to try the GNC Biotin supplements! I am currently using the Phyto brand hair & nail supplements that are super pricey. One of my beauty product splurges is Dior New Look mascara. I can’t live without it!

Tina December 5, 2012 at 10:15 am

Nice! Let me know what you think!

Deanne December 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Snooping thru your blog since Caitlin at HTP mentioned you and I am so glad I did! I live in Canada and for years I have used the Full N’ Soft mascara. I used to work at a pharmacy that had cosmetics and I have tried most every mascara. This one is my FAVORITE!!!! But sadly two years ago it went extinct from all drug stores in our town possibly our province, maybe even all of Canada. I have tried many mascaras since then and found not wearing mascara was easier than wearing something that wasn’t my Full N’ Soft. Need to track down a CVS or stock up on Amazon now that I know where to get it. It’s totaly worth paying for shipping and then running across the border to pick up. So happy, thank you!!!!!

Luv What You Do December 5, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I am totally obsessed with Keihl’s! They have a $20 off $75 right now if you’re interested! I have never used the serum, but their midnight eye cream is the best. I also love the face wash and hand lotion!

Michelle December 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Although I have never tried the 3-minute miracle, I use Aussie’s shampoo and I really like it. Currently, I am loving biosilk’s silk therapy for my hair. I have very thick, dry hair and I just put a tiny bit in my hair when it is wet and it makes my hair smooth and shiny.

I cannot wait to try the concealer!

Monica Toress December 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I am totally in love with the Aveeno shampoo too! Actually this is the only product of that list I am using but since our opinions meet there I might try the rest.

Kim December 8, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Kiehl’s. Just ordered some today but went through Kiehl’s website. I was able to go through Shop at Home website and get 7% back. They also have a coupon for $20 off a $75 purchase. I got the 2.5 oz bottle for $59.91 with taxes and will get $3.99 back from Shop at Home.

Martha Lilian January 2, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I’m definitely going to give the Biotin supplements a try. I’m always struggling with my hair (super, baby fine and thin) and my nails (peeling, splitting, breaking) so I need a solution ASAP. Great to hear that there is something out there that might work and not break the bank!

Jessica January 15, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I recently bought the Kiehl’s line-reducing concentrate after reading your post- AMAZING! I want to bath in it! My face is so smooth and soft. And so many of those wrinkle creams make me breakout, but I haven’t had any issues at all. Thanks for the tip!

Tina January 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm

@Jessica: So glad you like it! I actually need to buy some more!

Tina January 16, 2013 at 7:36 am

Woohoo! I actually need to buy another bottle myself!

Miranda January 15, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I too am an adult lady who still gets breakouts, and have tried a lot of different face cleansers with only so so results. But the past 6 months I started using my husband’s Nivea Energy face scrub and I have to say it does the trick and think it may be my new long-term face scrub…I find it surprising that through all my searching I end up with a man’s face product, but the scrub is just right and it has a moisturizing component to it also.

jessica w April 25, 2013 at 10:10 am

The full and soft is what I use too! It is cheap and better than any of the others I have found.