• A Story of Confused Taste Buds

December 13, 2012

Once upon a time… ok, last night… Mal and I were invited to a holiday party for a new restaurant called BoMA in the South End. It was a fun time, but the experience left our taste buds sort of confused.

002

When we arrived at BoMA, Mal and I were warmly greeted and then given a couple of drink tickets, so we headed to the bar.

004

007

The restaurant was modern with funky art work, exposed brick, and dim lighting. The staff was super friendly and seemed genuinely excited for the event.

008

Wine me!

017

With drinks in hand, we checked out the appetizer spread. Mal and I were both pretty hungry, so we filled up a couple of plates to share with cheese, crackers, veggies, and hummus.

appetizers

Wine, snacks, great atmosphere… it was a fantastic start to the evening.

021

But, then came the passed appetizers, which threw our taste buds for a loop. They looked delicious and some of them smelled delicious, but they did not taste delicious. They actually tasted like… nothing. Everything we tried was really bland—like the chef forgot to season the dish. Mal and I pretty much tried everything that came our way with the hope of something tasting really amazing, but, sadly, it never happened. The food was just really blah, especially compared to some of the other restaurants in the South End.

passedapps

Mal and I left BoMA disappointed and still pretty hungry, so we hit up an old standby on the way home: Stockholders. This place is always packed. Even on a random Wednesday night, we had trouble finding a parking spot in their (huge) lot.

026

Mal and I were hungry, but not for a full-sized meal, so we snagged some seats at the bar and shared a couple of appetizers (potato skins and sliders), which were delicious and full of flavor. Our taste buds were pleased.

028

And they lived happily ever after.

The end.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio December 13, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Makes me sad for the restaurant. Hopefully they’ll get it together and be a successful restaurant.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 13, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I hate when that happens! You have such high hopes for a restaurant or a meal, and then…………….. nothing. Least the night ended on a high note!

Beks December 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Well, that’s sad. I know I’m guilty of under seasoning food, but I’m also not a chef. Hopefully it was just an off-night for the chef?

Monica December 13, 2012 at 12:57 pm

i wonder how they’ll survive in boston. south end is a tough place for restaurants, with great places like toro, stella, beehive…

Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I used to live in the South End and that store front look soooo familiar it’s driving me nuts. Do you know what it used to be?

sara @ fitcupcaker December 13, 2012 at 1:15 pm

That stinks. I hate When you try so much and you eat all your food and your not satisfied after. Glad u got some tasty food at the end of the night

sara @ fitcupcaker December 13, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I love wine. At least maybe that was Good?!

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries December 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I feel like that’s the most disappointing thing in the world! Something LOOKS delicious, and SMELLS delicious, and then doesn’t live up to your expectations what so ever. I’m glad you guys were able to have a fun evening together though! :)

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com December 13, 2012 at 1:26 pm

How disappointing! It’s great to try new things but sometimes the old classics really are the best.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 13, 2012 at 1:37 pm

That food looks so tasty — bummer that it wasn’t :(

Katie @ skinnyminniemoves December 13, 2012 at 1:37 pm

WOW that hummus looks incredible! I’m a hummus freak!!!!!

natalie @ will jog for food December 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Sorry the food was bad! It looks so promising.

Fizz Hiser December 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Bummer! It looks like a cute place. Hopefully they’ll pull it together.

SANDRA December 13, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I hope the Chef sees your post and take action. Would love to see them succeed!

Annette@FitnessPerks December 13, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Oh sad! What a bummer! I hate when restaurants let me down :(

Mary@LostAfterLosing December 13, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Isn’t it weird when that happens? I went to a holiday party at a friend’s house the other day, and everything smelled AMAZING. I was drooling as soon as I walked in the door. But the taste? Um, not so much.

Traci December 13, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Have you ever been to Stephi’s on Tremont? My brother and sister-in-law live literally feet away from that place. SO DELICIOUS. I ordered the scallops, and they were fantastic. However, my mother’s lobster roll stole the show! Definitely recommend!

Grace @ Grace Dishes December 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm

It looked like a lovely evening from start to finish minus the less-than-stellar bites. My boyfriend doesn’t care about presentation as long as it tastes good. Some people seem to prefer the glitz and the presentation more though. I prefer good tasting food. Some curries don’t photograph well (lentils) but boy, are they tasty!

Khushboo December 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I hate when I end a meal still feeling unsatisfied!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 13, 2012 at 2:31 pm

That’s so weird that everything was bland, hopefully they learn and change things up!

Whitney December 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Hope the BoMA owner/chef doesn’t read this post! haha

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit December 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Old standby’s are not to be underestimated. They can often outdo a fancy schmancy restaurant any day. ;) Glad it was a happy ever after!

Sam December 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Good to know! I’m amused by that drink menu, which I’m pretty sure says “Wines Glasses.” Could those be related to beer goggles? ;)

Shel@PeachyPalate December 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Oh no I hate when that happens, especially when it was all going so well…at least it was an invite and hopefully you didn’t have to pay for the experience!

Vicki December 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm

That stinks that you weren’t impressed and the food was bland. When you have a bad dining event (in terms of food) your first time to a place, do you give them another shot down the road? To see if it was a fluke?

Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete December 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm

That’s so disappointing that the food was so bland! Because it certainly LOOKS delicious. I hate feeling dissatisfied after a meal. Sounds like Stockholders took care of that for you, though!

Candice@allthingsyogi.com December 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm

It seems like some of the restaurants with the biggest “hype” can be a letdown…at least you got a good glass of wine!

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles December 13, 2012 at 3:34 pm

So disappointing! Sounds like they’ll close within a year….you have to be great to stick around in big cities these days. Cute name for the restaurant though.

miriam December 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Haha, this post totally cracked me up. My best friend and I did the same thing at a lot of “tastings” – either inadequate food, or just plain bland. It’s a shame, considering there is so much awesomeness in the South End (Gaslight?!)

Tina December 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I love Gaslight! :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Is your sweater from LOFT? I think I have the same one in green! :-)

Tina December 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm

It’s actually from Marshalls! :)

Megan@eatmybeets December 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Bummer about the passed appetizers. I guess at least the layed out ones were better! I hate that incomplete feeling too when an experience just wasn’t what I wanted it to be. I feel like I don’t go out to eat to avoid issues such as that haha

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 13, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Bland food is so disappointing, especially for an opening party! Hopefully they get their act together before they open their doors!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction December 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hate when that happens! I learned that the hard way with Indian food…went out to dinner, didn’t eat a thing and then grabbed a pizza!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles December 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm

How disappointing. After watching every season of Top Chef, I know that seasoning is key.

The Kidless Kronicles

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 13, 2012 at 4:17 pm

That’s a bummer about BoMA! The sound end is definitely one of my favorite parts of the city as it was where my first Boston apartment was. Such a cute area.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, you make me miss Boston everyday. ha!

Amy @ Eat Workout Succeed December 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm

As i don’t get to eat out as often as i used to now that i have a baby, i really have high hopes when i do go out, there is nothing more disappointing than food that looks tasty but is bland!

Mo December 13, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I appreciate your honesty about this restaurant.
    I can imagine that it is hard to write a not-so-positive review over a place that just gave you a free meal. This is why I continue to read your blog….I know you will always be honest with your readers! :)

Danielle December 13, 2012 at 10:33 pm

That stinks that you had a bland meal! Hopefully they figure out how to make the flavors pop!