• What Kind of Runner Are You?

November 6, 2012

Good morning! Happy Election Day! As soon as I finish this blog post, I’m heading out to get my vote on. I hope you plan to vote today, too. Maybe this pug will help you decide!

Breakfast

Yesterday morning’s breakfast was a Sweet Breakfast Scramble with a massive scoop of Teddie peanut butter. I went overboard with the canned pumpkin, so this batch is a little watery. For a less watery Sweet Breakfast Scramble, just use less pumpkin or a larger banana.

IMG_5346 (750x563)_thumb

I also drank a glass of Dandy Blend with organic half and half. Mmm… so creamy!

IMG_5353 (750x563)_thumb

While I ate my breakfast, I read the November issue of Runner’s World. Inside was an article called “What Kind of Runner Are You?,” which played off today’s election. It asked readers to pick whether they are conservative, progressive, independent or moderate with their running and then went onto suggest proper training, racing, nutrition, and health for each.

Here’s a brief description for each kind of runner:

THE CONSERVATIVE
    You run 15 miles–or 2.5 hours–per week

There are many reasons for being a Conservative. Your time and energy may be limited by a full-time job, the equally demanding job of raising young children, or both. Or perhaps running shares time with one or two other activities, like bicycling and gym classes. Or you may be mileage-shy because of past injuries. Or you’re a beginner. Or you’re simply content running three miles a few times a week.

All of these reasons are legit, so don’t feel guilty if you know other runners who train more. The low-mileage lane will still get you to your destination. If your long-term goal is overall, general good health, there’s no reason to switch your affiliation.

THE MODERATE
    You run 15-30 miles–mostly at intermediate distance & pace–per week

It’s hard to argue against the age-old advice, “Moderation in all things,” but Moderate runners take this wisdom to extremes. Wait, no, Moderates take nothing to extremes. They train a moderate amount of mileage at a moderate pace for a moderate distance. They may also sprinkle in speedwork and cross-training–but not too much–and prefer medium-distance races.

The only risks that Moderates take are calculated risks, with dispassionate reason as their guide. They color between the lines, plan long-term, and leave nothing to chance. Who’s to say that moderation isn’t the best way to run?

THE PROGRESSIVE
    You run 30+ miles–dedicated miles–per week

You’re a Progressive if your days are gray when you don’t run and you eagerly await half-marathons and marathons the same way that most people look forward to birthdays and holidays. You love channeling your competitive nature and a predilection for perfectionism into your running and racing.

High mileage is more practical for certain kinds of people–people who have the free time of a substitute teacher with no kids and the energy of a 25-year-old. But love is not practical, so plenty of runners take the leap into high-mileage running even when logic tells them not to. It isn’t free time or youth that characterizes the Progressive runner, it’s motivation.

THE INDEPENDENT
    You run 10-50 miles–depending on mood, season, and life–per week

Just as Independent voters are not party-loyal, Independent runners are not mileage-loyal. They base their mileage not on what they’ve always done, but on their work/family schedule–and how the weather looks. One month they may train for a marathon and the next they may not run at all.

Many Independent runners live in places where the weather is rotten for part of the year (Arizona summer, Alaska winter). Others have jobs that cycle between high and low periods (training for an April marathon is impractical for an accountant). But Independent running also suits folks who just prefer change over routine, if only to ward off boredom.

If I had to pick, I’d say I’m “The Independent” runner. I go through phases when I am super gun-ho on running (usually when I’m training for a race), but then a week or two goes by and I don’t run at all (or very little).

What kind of runner are you?

Eating 4 Balance November 6, 2012 at 7:27 am

I love that video of Murphy. My dog does that head-tilting thing too! :) Haha. If only it were that easy to pick! Did Murphy ever end up choosing?! Lol. With a bark? :D

Tina November 6, 2012 at 7:29 am

I wish it was Murphy! It’s so cute!

Eating 4 Balance November 6, 2012 at 7:34 am

@Tina: Lol. Whoops. I guess they do look a little different :D

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } November 6, 2012 at 7:27 am

I’m conservative but hoping to be moderate soon :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance November 6, 2012 at 7:39 am

I’m a conservative runner these days…..but I guess that’s b/c I’m getting old and get too many injuries! lol. I used to be a moderate! :)

Lindsay November 6, 2012 at 7:39 am

Tee hee. Thanks for the pugalicious voting video! Adorable!! I am currently not a runner…too many years of dance has made it an incredibly painful cross training method, so I stick with zumba, more dance, and cycling! As an athlete though, I’d consider myself Progressive. I love working out and use it as a tool to decrease stress and increase happiness!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 6, 2012 at 7:41 am

Lol well right now I’m Independent – I went from marathon training to currently injured and running… ZERO miles this week and a measly 2.5 last week. Sad. But normally I’d say I’m moderate! And Murphy is too cute!!! Haha he looks like he just can’t choose!

Anne November 6, 2012 at 7:41 am

That’s interesting, I am right on the edge, when healthy I runa fairly consistant 32-38 miles per week but I am not competitive about running at all!

Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air November 6, 2012 at 7:42 am

Silly Murphy! He looks so perplexed. I’d say I’m in the Independent category with you – sometimes I run a lot, sometimes I run a little. I like variety!

Blog is the New black November 6, 2012 at 7:47 am

I’m a wannabe runner! ;)

luv what you do November 6, 2012 at 7:56 am

I just voted…I was worried about lines and so I took my tea to go and got there crazy early! Love this post…so fun! I am an independent as well but with some conservative and moderate histories!

Khushboo Thadani November 6, 2012 at 7:58 am

I’m a conservative runner…as much as I enjoy it, I equally (if not more) enjoy weight training!

Brandi November 6, 2012 at 8:09 am

Definitely conservative… :) For all of the reasons listed minus having children. Hope to be moderate in the near future!

Monica November 6, 2012 at 8:10 am

I used to be a progressive runner but now I’m a race-watcher. You can still have fun being a support team!

Yes, please vote everybody!!!

Barbara November 6, 2012 at 8:10 am

I really enjoyed that article in Runners World. I think I classified myself as a moderate, with a little bit of progressive.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 6, 2012 at 8:14 am

While most of my mileage has been around 15/week, I’m closer to being an independent on this, I think…

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 6, 2012 at 8:17 am

I read that story, too–such a neat spin on the election. I’m more in the moderate ballpark, which is funny because I’m definitely an “everything-in-moderation” type of girl. :)

NYC Fit GIrl November 6, 2012 at 8:24 am

I am conservative! I try to find balance between running and crossfit and in order to do that I must be conservative.

Ali @ Peaches and Football November 6, 2012 at 8:27 am

Ha ha – let’s all vote for the pug! :)

I’m definitely a conservative! And a walker – can’t really be considered a runner. I have tried a couple ‘couch to 5k’ programs and can’t seem to make it past the 4th or 5th week. I just can’t break through. Been thinking about working out distance instead of time – like shoot for running .1 of a mile and keep at that till I’m comfy and then go for .2, etc… ONE day I’ll hit a full mile. :)

March November 6, 2012 at 8:28 am

Depending on the week I’m conservative or moderate. some weeks it’s harder to wrangle all the things to do with my 3 kiddos, some others I’m effective with my “me” time and can push my running.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 6, 2012 at 8:36 am

I’d definitely consider myself an independent runner too. Sometimes I want to run all the time, but time doesn’t allow it. And sometimes I don’t feel like running, and choose to do workout classes, etc. instead. Totally depends on the situation!

Lindsey November 6, 2012 at 8:51 am

I was the moderate for sure! On a running break this year though :)

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles November 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

Right now, I am a moderate. I might just be happy to stay there as well. Good luck with the voting lines.

The Kidless Kronicles

Sara @ sarasmiles November 6, 2012 at 9:13 am

Who did Murphy choose??

I’m definitely a conservative. I love running, but only 3-5 miles about 2-3x per week. It’s not my main form of exercise as it’s hard on my feet and knees

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 6, 2012 at 9:31 am

I vote Murphy for president!

:) I’m a conservative runner for sure.

Corrie Anne November 6, 2012 at 9:36 am

I read that in line at Sprouts! Definitely progressive!

Heather November 6, 2012 at 9:42 am

I was wondering if you had any insight on this matter~ when you were not feeling well you had to cut back on exercise if I am correct. Do you you have troubles maintaining with cutting back on the exercise and starting to be able to eat to enjoy now?

~Thank you,
    Heather

Tina November 6, 2012 at 9:44 am

I didn’t have any trouble, but I was also just listening to my body. I didn’t feel well, so I didn’t push it with the exercise.

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom November 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

I am most definitely an independent when it comes to running. I only like doing it when the weather is nice……which means Spring and Fall.

George Super BootCamps November 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

Oh, I’m definitely and Independent Runner, which is pretty much exactly where my political views lie, spooky!

Or perhaps not, given how I’ve organised the rest of my life!

Both my volume of training and type of training changes with season and desire. I’m longing for the hills right now…

Cheers
    George

mary @ minutes per mile November 6, 2012 at 10:01 am

Progressive!! I get severely depressed when I can’t run and have little desire to do any other form of exercise. Haha.

Mary @ Lost After Losing November 6, 2012 at 10:05 am

I’m conservative — when it comes to running. Liberal in pretty much everything else. :)

p.s. Vote, y’all!

Jodea November 6, 2012 at 10:13 am

We’re getting election fever here in the UK, too. It’s very exciting!

Definitely independent. I trained for a ten mile run, completed it, then gave up. Who knows if ill take it up again?!

Tasha November 6, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’ll definitely be voting this afternoon!

I loved that article in Runner’s World! I am definitely an independant when it comes to running. I go in phases where I’m running upwards of 30+ miles a week to weeks where I’m lucky to get one run in. It all depends on what type of race I’m training for.

Annette@FitnessPerks November 6, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m either Independent or Conservative. That was kinda fun!

YAY! Vote, people!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife November 6, 2012 at 10:28 am

I’m probably an independent, too (just like my actual political affiliation!). How much I run really just depends on what is going on in my life and what I am currently training for!

Brooke (beingvivacious.blogspot.com) November 6, 2012 at 10:31 am

Well, right now I’m a conservative. But overall I tend to be an independent

Kat November 6, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’m a conservative independent if there is such a thing. I definitely swing from the fences when a big race is on the horizon (like the Princess 1/2 marathon I’m currently training for) but life tends to creep into even the best laid plans and before you know it, you’re training schedule is just messed up.

As someone who never ran before 5 months ago unless something was chasing me, I’m doing pretty good!

clare @ fittingitallin November 6, 2012 at 11:10 am

Totally an independent! I’ve trained for races, but in the Texas summer my running slows. Now I run based on my legs and how I feel after Crossfit!

Robyn November 6, 2012 at 11:11 am

I am a moderate since I was training for my first half marathon which was Sunday. I did the lady speed stick half marathon in AZ. All I have to say is I loved it so much and I already signed up for the P.f. changs rock n roll in janurary here in AZ. I’m taking about 5 days off from running and then I’m going to start training again.

Sarah November 6, 2012 at 11:40 am

Definitely a progressive runner. I can’t go a day without running or I get so…sad about it. It’s an addiction at this point. I read this article in Runner’s World awhile back and loved trying to figure out which type of runner I am. No better time to post about it than today!

Whitney November 6, 2012 at 11:52 am

100% progressive! Hubs has learned fast that I am not pleasant to be around when I don’t get to run. haha I am competitive with myself and my pace. My next marathon is in a few weeks! :)

elise November 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I’m in between a moderate and a progressive. I think i’m becoming a progressive.. I’ve been running 30+ or close every week. If I don’t get my runs in I’m unhappy and grumpy.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 6, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Normally I’m a conservative runner… but ever since my knee issues this summer I’ve only been running once a week tops. I miss it!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm

What is below conservative?? HAHA. I run about 2 hours each week. I more of a speed kind of gal. I enjoy my HIIT too much to stay on the treadmill for hours on end (boring to me) let alone brave the outdoor oven that is Scottsdale, AZ.

Rachel B - Busy Mama November 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Definitely an Independent Runner! I live in Washington so there are times of the year where running just doesn’t fit – running with ice on the ground is not my idea of a party. Also, being a work at home mom with a toddler doesn’t leave much freedom to go to the gym and hit the treadmill. I wish I could be a Progressive runner!