• Veggie Cook-Up, Mantel Decorating, Necklace Designing & Pesto Mashed Potatoes

November 29, 2012

How do you like that post title? Ha! I couldn’t come up with a common topic/theme for this post, so I went with all of them. Hey, at least you know exactly what this post is about, right?  ;-)

After lunch yesterday, I had a craving for Sweet Potato Wedges with peanut butter, so I whipped up a batch. I figured since I was turning on my oven to cook them, I might as well roast the veggies I had planned for dinner. Pretty much anytime I turn on my oven, I always think about what else I can cook while it’s on.

005

I also use the same mixing bowl to coat my veggies with olive oil, salt, and pepper, so there’s only one thing to clean up once I’m done. Plus, it makes the process quick and easy.

007

Once my veggies were cooking in the oven, I decorated our fireplace mantel. I didn’t love the things I bought at Michaels the other day, so I returned a few of them and bought some new stuff yesterday afternoon. Eventually, I got it right. It only took three trips to Michaels! (I still have one more thing to return today.)

016

011

013

014

Pretty! I might still hang something on the mirror. Not sure what yet. Maybe Pinterest has some ideas for me? What do you guys think?

008

Snack

A little while later, my Sweet Potato Wedges were done, so I paired them with some Teddie peanut butter. Best snack ever.

022

When Mal got home from school, he broke out the Tostitos, so I ended up eating some of them. I had a major craving for something salty.

023

Shortly after that, I poured myself a glass of wine.

030

And then designed a necklace for myself.

026

My friend Erica Sara offered me the opportunity to design my own Love Note charm. In return, I’ll be hosting a giveaway next week for you guys to win a Love Note necklace. I can’t wait to see the final product. Her stuff is absolutely gorgeous!

027

Dinner

Last night’s dinner was a good one: steak + potatoes. I cooked the steak with garlic and butter and added store-bought pesto to the mashed potatoes (<— holy amazing). On the side, I had some roasted Brussels sprouts and asparagus.

035

During dinner, I drank a second glass of wine. This Petit Bourgeois Sauvignon Blanc was really good and only cost $12!

037

Delicious coffee table dinner!

039

After dinner, I finished off a jar of Nikki’s Coconut Butter. I had four jars going at once, so now I’m down to the bottom of most of them. I figured once I get close, I might as well finish them off!

041

P.S. New Girl fans: Check out the cover of Nick’s zombie novel. My friend Jon designed it!

KWag November 29, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I saw in the comments that you pan-fry your steak on medium/low heat. How long do you typically leave it on each side? Also, what is your ratio of garlic and butter for each steak? At what time/temp do you roast your veggies? Lastly, any recommendations for good brands of store-bought pesto?

Erin H. November 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm

The mantel looks great! I’d put a small wreath on a ribbon over the mirror, that’s what Pinterest has taught me!

Laura @ She Eats Well November 29, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I believe in pesto as a condiment on everything! It is SO good. I put it on toast sometimes and then top that with a fried egg. Best fried egg sandwich ever!

Tina November 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Me too! I lovvvveee it! :)

Meghan@themeghamix November 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Aw, so pretty! Now I want sweet potatoes…lol.

Amelia November 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Love the decorations! I don’t remember from past years but do you and Mal put up a Christmas tree too?

I’m not a steak girl but holy moly that piece looks good! Mashed potatoes with pesto is a definite do. :)

Erin D November 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Hi Tina,

Not sure if the stocking hangers are new too, but do you find they’re strong enough to actually hold the stockings with gifts in them? I’m debating between ones like yours or some kind of Command strip. The last thing I want is stockings tumbling into the fireplace…! :)

Tina November 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm

@Erin D: They’re not that strong. We take down the stockings when we fill them.

Michelle (Peachy Palate) November 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Very pretty mantel! Which is your fav of the nikki’s coconut butters?

Tina November 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm

@Michelle (Peachy Palate): Vanilla cake batter!

Jessica H. November 29, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Hey! How did you cook the steak? On the stove or on the grilll???

Tracy November 29, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I think a big picture of Murphy on the mirror would look good! ……well he IS a cutey!! ;-)

Laura@ Eat Right Newsletter November 30, 2012 at 10:59 am

Pesto mashed potatoes sound so tasty! My mom is addicted to brussel sprouts but I can’t get myself to try them! Maybe I’ll finally take the plunge soon!