• Travel WOD + Reunited With a Blog Friend

November 13, 2012

I woke up bright and early yesterday morning to get my sweat on. The hotel where I stayed in Des Moines had a pretty nice gym (I actually worked out there the last time I visited), but I decided to do a CrossFit-inspired workout in my hotel room instead.

The best thing about creating my own workouts is that I get to pick all of my favorite exercises and make it as hard (or as easy) as I want. This workout incorporates some of my very favorite moves (yay, Burpees!) and gives you a mix of upper and lower body strengthening and core work.

Have fun with this one! It’s definitely a butt kicker! Maybe I wasn’t totally awake, but I stopped a number of times to catch my breath and rest during it. It’s a total body workout, and it took me almost 15 minutes to complete.

RiseNShine_001

After my workout, I took a quick shower and then met Chandra for breakfast. She lives in Des Moines, so she met me at my hotel and then we walked across the street to Mr. Filet Steakhouse. A friend of Chandra’s told her their breakfast was really good, so we were excited to check it out.

As soon as we sat down, our server came to our table to offer us coffee. Without thinking, I said yes to a mug of (caffeinated) hot coffee and proceeded to drink it. Chandra and I chatted non-stop, so the caffeine + my colon/colitis didn’t even cross my mind. But, hours later, I’m happy to report: NO ISSUES! Hooray!! I don’t plan to start drinking caffeinated coffee on a regular basis, but I’m glad to know I can enjoy a little bit every now and then without issues.

For breakfast, I ordered two eggs with homefries and toast, which is clearly my favorite diner breakfast. I ate this same meal the day before!

One of the signature dishes at Mr. Filet’s is their Greek omelet (Chandra ordered it for breakfast), so our server brought me a side dish with part of one so I could try it. How nice is that?

The Greek omelet was awesome—definitely order it if you ever visit Mr. Filet’s! Inside was Gyro meat, crumbled feta, and sautéed green bell pepper and onion. Holy yum indeed.

Chandra and I hadn’t seen each other since March 2011 for the Black Cat 10-miler, so it was great to be reunited. Luckily, we won’t have to go as long before we see each other again. We’ll both be in New Orleans for the Rock ‘N’ Roll Half Marathon in February with Monica. Woohoo! Can’t wait!

When you go out for breakfast, do you typically order a sweet (pancakes, waffles, muffins) or savory (eggs, bacon, sausage) meal?

Shelly November 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I typically order savory breakfasts if we go out for breakfast. At Perkins your savory breakfast comes with an option of a muffin, which I always get and bring home for later. Now I want a giant muffin – yum!

Erika November 13, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I always want the sweet but I always end up with savory. I love omelets and tasty homefries. :)

Kary November 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I’m just catching up on my reading and realized you’re in my home city! Dang! Would have loved to meet you and taken you for a run in DM, but it looks like you got a good workout regardless. Glad you liked Mr. Filet! When I worked downtown, we used to order breakfast at least once a month or more. Their gyros are the best! The owner and his nephew are both named George and are the sweetest also!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 13, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I always have sweet breakfasts at home, but when I eat out for breakfast I tend to go the savoury route. I love the classic eggs/potatoes/toast/bacon combo!

GiGi Eats Celebrities November 13, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Brunch is totally my obsession these days! I love how breakfast restaurants make omelets taste so good, far better than I can ever do it! As of current, my combination obsession = eggs, sun-dried tomatoes, chicken, olives and spinach (if I can add something else, I will add grilled eggplant if that’s an option) and then I ask for a side salad, no dressing, for ever more veggies! It’s AMAZING! Cannot wait to go for brunch again… I am thinking Friday! LOL!

luv what you do November 13, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Awesome workout! I am going to save that for the next time I can’t get out of the house and moving!

Caitlyn November 14, 2012 at 5:34 am

I always go out to breakfast with the intention of ordering something sweet like pancakes, but it never fails, I always end up with an omlette or scramble of some sort….I just can’t stay away!

Sara P. November 14, 2012 at 9:38 am

I like the savory with eggs!! YUM! Also what are hollow rocks and hand release push ups?? I want to do this workout. thanks!

Tina November 14, 2012 at 9:48 am
    Sara P. November 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Thanks. You always reply to my ?’s. I really appreciate it!

Shelly November 14, 2012 at 11:50 am

Tina! You were in my town … Awesome! I love Des Moines, and I love the greek omelet from Mr. Filets! Im glad you got to experience it. They are so nice there!

Lee March 24, 2013 at 6:57 am

Hi
    I like having the buffet style breakfast when you can go up and choose so that you can have a bit of everything and go up as much as you like and set yourself up for the day.

Thanks lee