• The Day Before Thanksgiving

November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

Usually, my plans for the night before Thanksgiving involve boozing-face with high school friends, but Mal and I signed up for a 5-mile road race tomorrow morning, so we’re having a low-key evening at home instead. Oh, how things have changed.

I didn’t snap a ton of photos today, but here are a few from Instagram

After breakfast, I took a yoga class. It was a Vinyasa Flow with lots of back-bends, which the instructor said would give us lots of energy for the Thanksgiving holiday. Fabulous. Thank you very much.

After yoga, I ran some errands, which included going to Whole Foods the day before Thanksgiving (simply put: yikes), and then I came home, ate lunch, and baked a zillion cookies—some for tomorrow and some for a recipe on Health.com next week.

Mal had a half day at school today, so Murphy helped him play video games.

A little before 4:00 PM, I headed out to pick up our numbers for tomorrow’s race.

060

Bib pick-up started at 4:00 PM, so I planned to go early to beat the crowds. It’s also a small race, so I didn’t think too many people would be there.

058

Well, it turns out, the place was pretty busy!

052

I actually only waited 5 minutes, but I was still surprised to see so many people.

056

I got an odd number for tomorrow. I hope it brings me luck!

057

Check out the race shirts! Long-sleeve + orange = cool!

068

The safety pins for the bibs came on friendship bracelets and bottle openers. Fun, right?

066

And look what was in my race bag: a KFIT Boot Camp flyer! KFIT is my friend Kerrie’s boot camp. She’ll be at the race tomorrow, so I’m going to try to keep up with her! She’s fast!

054

On the menu for dinner: Slow Cooker Classic Pot Roast. Our house smells so delicious right now. I can’t wait to dig in!

063

Health News & Views

It’s the day before Thanksgiving and, if you’re at all like me, you’re already thinking about grandma’s turkey stuffing and mom’s perfect pumpkin pie. I’m planning to splurge at Thanksgiving dinner, so I’m committing to burning off some of those extra calories by breaking a sweat first thing tomorrow morning. Here’s a quick and effective workout you can do anywhere. It’ll torch calories and start your Thanksgiving off on the right foot so you’ll be able to enjoy the holiday without guilt!

Your Quick Thanksgiving Day Workout

“Stronger Than Yesterday” by bama + ry

Jasmine from Eat Move Write recently sent me a CrossFit-inspired necklace that says “Stronger Than Yesterday,” which is one of my favorite fitness-inspired sayings. I absolutely love it and thought you guys might too, so she offered to give CNC readers 20% off their entire purchase from her jewelry shop until the end of the year. Just use the code CARROTS12 at checkout!

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?

I have two favorites: my Grammie’s turkey stuffing and my aunt’s sweet potatoe casserole with marshmallow on top. I can’t wait to eat them tomorrow!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, FRIENDS!!!!!

natalie @ will jog for food November 21, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Look at all those cookies…yum :)

My favorite side dish is sweet potato souffle, it’s topped with buttery sugary pecans & coconut.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.blogspot November 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I LOVE the idea of working out on the day :) Guilt-free indulgence is the best! No special day in the UK tomorrow but I’m off to an awards ceremony for a charity trust, so there’ll be some tears and a good day. Happy Thanksgiving!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Have a great race tomorrow, Tina! I’m running a turkey trot too. :) Love the long-sleeved t-shirt–much more appropriate for an autumn race. I’m crossing my fingers for good weather and an odd race number. ;)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I’m doing a 5K with my dad, cousins and uncle! Although with my injured knee I’m not sure how well it will go… haha but I’m trying!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles November 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I love the shirt. Favorite side dish is a toss up between mashed potatoes and butternut squash.

The Kidless Kronicles

Amelia @eatingmadeeasy November 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Warm dinner rolls or homemade bread with butter are my favorite, even though I’m aware that I could have these anytime :)
    Happy Thanksgiving, Tina!

Beth @ The OC Fit Girl November 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Good luck at the race tomorrow!! You’ll kill it, as always :)

Christine @random runner ramblings November 21, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I’m planning on doing a 10k fun run in the morning, love the guilt free feeling I have after getting a good workout before Thanksgiving.
    I love those shirts, I have only gotten 2 long sleeved shirts from races so they are pretty special.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Sara P. (http://fitcupcaker.blogspot.com November 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I LOVE my mother in laws broccoli casserole. Its just like none other that I have had! I cant wait!

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona November 21, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Definitely cranberry sauce and stuffing!

Laura November 21, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Hope the run goes well tomorrow and Happy Thanksgiving from a Canadian friend up north, wish I was getting turkey again :)

Feel like you might enjoy this, even more than I do!!

Tina November 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Haha! Love it! :) Murphy is actually on the second page!

Lydia November 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm

SWEET POTATOES! I am a eat-around-the-plate kind of girl, and i love to stack up stuffing, cranberry, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and (last but not at all least) Turkey on my fork, and just enjoy the yumminess. But without the sweet potatoes, it is not Thanksgiving ;)

Love the pic of Mal and Murphy, so cute!!

Carli November 21, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Oh, I like any vegetable on the side. We’re pretty much plain broccoli people here and if it’s missing someone will start carrying on about it.

Not only did you get an odd number but it is divisible by five. The best kind!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 21, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Good luck on your race tomorrow! Cant wait for the cookie recipes!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Theodora November 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Dude, it is possible to boozeface and then race. That’s what I’m doing.

Alissa Jo November 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Love that necklace! I used the code and ordered “I run this town” 13.1. I literally run my town….the distance around the lake in town is about 10 miles, but if I do the actual half marathon route it is exactly 13.1. I love the play on words. Thanks for the code =) I appreciated the discount.

Tina November 21, 2012 at 9:18 pm

That’s awesome! :)

Aurielle @ Will2Wellness November 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I’m looking forward to digging into homemade mac-n-cheese and my mom’s candied yams! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Danielle November 21, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I am also running in a race tomorrow morning! Such a great way/tradition to kick off the Thanksgiving holiday! Good luck!

Also, I just love the necklace and quote! Very cute

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 21, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

I was hoping to end my day today with a beer to celebrate (I passed my NASM exam!) but with a 5k race in the morning I wasn’t sure that’s the greatest idea, but there WILL be celebration tomorrow! :)

Tina November 22, 2012 at 6:08 am

Congrats!

Susan November 21, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I really like that necklace. do you have the long one or the short one?

Tina November 22, 2012 at 6:07 am

Short! :)

Hillary November 21, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Your Health workout is so “cute”!! We’re doing a 22 WOD tomorrow at the box – can’t wait!!

Khushboo November 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I love any sweet potato-based side…mm!

Elisabeth November 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you and M & m! :)

My favorite dishes are my aunt’s turkey breast, corn casserole and my sausage & mushroom stuffing :D

Annette@FitnessPerks November 22, 2012 at 12:08 am

Ohhh that necklace is super cute!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 22, 2012 at 7:32 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

My favourite side dish is my aunt’s spaghetti squash casserole filled with tomatoes, onions, and cheese!

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 22, 2012 at 7:57 am

Oh no, I have a weakness for Etsy jewelry like that! Must. Not. Buy. Everything.

michelle kim November 22, 2012 at 9:28 am

Happy Thanksgiving! Have fun at the run today :)
    And the sky looks BEAUTIFUL over there!

Roz@weightingfor50 November 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Cracked up at the pic of Murphy “helping” Mal get a higher score on his video game! Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family Tina. And good luck on the run!

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset November 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Mmm, those cookies look yummy!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Herbivore Triathlete November 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I ran a 5K Turkey Trot this morning, felt great to get my workout done and out of the way! My favorite sides are the cranberry sauce and sweet potato casserole. Happy Thanksgiving!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 25, 2012 at 10:14 pm

My favorites are definitely mashed potatoes and green beans. YUM!