• Spotted at Lolita

November 10, 2012

Hey, look who was spotted in Boston last night!

spottedinBoston

Mal and I ventured into the city to meet friends for dinner at Lolita and a photographer from Boston.com asked if she could snap our pic. Cool!

Lolita is located on Dartmouth Street just off Newbury, so I’ve walked by it a zillion times without ever really noticing it. It’s just a door with a menu next to it, so I’m glad our friends suggested it for dinner. I don’t think I would have dined there otherwise.

Inside was super dark!

And swanky!

We actually joked that we needed little reading lights to see the menu!

Our meal started with a complimentary palate cleanser of shaved ice and tequila. It was sort of like a tequila snow cone!

Then, tortilla chips and salsa/dips were served to our table.

When it came time to order drinks, I ordered a Spicy Cucumber margarita, which was awesome. I didn’t really taste cucumber, but it was definitely spicy! The spiciness actually made me cough a couple of times because it was so intense. I loved it! I guess it was basically a spicy, more refreshing margarita on the rocks.

As an appetizer, Mal and I shared the Queso Fundido, which was melted cheese with chorizo sausage, roasted poblano, mushrooms, and cilantro pesto. It was frickin’ amazing, and we chowed it down.

For our entrée, Mal and I shared an order of Crispy Shredded Pork and Smoked Pork Belly tacos. They were tasty, but not oh-my-God-delicious.

The Smoked Pork Belly tacos were basically thick-cut bacon with some slaw on top. I guess we were expecting tender pork belly instead of fried. Oh, well, we still ate them.

At the end of dinner, we all ordered another round of drinks, so I got a second Spicy Cucumber margarita. I only ended up drinking about half of it because 1) I didn’t think my colon would appreciate it and 2) because I really wanted to do this morning’s WOD and not feel crappy during it.

The ladies: Jenna, Kerri, and me!

The evening concluded with green apple-flavored cotton candy!

It was fun to eat and play with!

photo (612x612)

Cruise reunion! Good times!

Questions of the Day

What’s your favorite Mexican dish? Do you like tequila?

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm

This place looks so neat! I love the inside – very swanky indeed. Mexican cuisine is one of my favorite ethnic foods! I always have a hard time choosing my favorite Mexican entree, but my top favorites are enchiladas or soft tacos.

Fizz November 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Tequila snow cone?? Where have you been all my life!?

Michelle (Peachy Palate) November 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Love tequila but I haven’t drank in so long it would knock my socks off! :)

Danielle November 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Mexican food is sometimes easier for me to enjoy (wheat allergy) as most items are prepared with corn. My fave Mexican dish? It’s a toss up between chicken with mole sauce or stuffed poblano peppers (chile en nogada). PS, been dying to try Lolita!!! The cotton candy looks delish!

Katie November 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I hate restaurants that are too dark! That is one of my major pet peeves. The cucumber margarita looks so good though. My favorite Mexican food is queso and chips or pork carnitas tacos!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin November 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Ohh I would love to try green apple cotton candy!! That sounds so fun and yummy. I despise tequila (due to one bad experience in college..), but I will drink it in a really good margarita. Anything else where you can taste tequila, no way Jose. Every time I go out for Mexican food I pretty much always get some sort of enchilada dish.

Sara November 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I was there on Thursday! Definitely a cool spot. Lot the atmosphere – very downtownish =)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Aww, it looks like such a great time! I love steak tacos. You can’t go wrong with those!

Brooke (beingvivacious.blogspot.com) November 10, 2012 at 3:36 pm

There is this little mexican place near me that makes a chicken spinach quesadilla that is really good. That has to be my favorite. Or, if a place makes really good spanish rice, but only if its really good, than that is my favorite.

Ashlee November 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I LOVE spicy cuc margs! This restaurant seems so cool! Lots of fun ideas goin on there

Sarah November 10, 2012 at 3:50 pm

This looks like a fun night! I love when restaurants serve tortilla chips… it’s just so good! I’ve heard of this place… I’ll have to try it when I’m home!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm

My favorite mexican dish is enchiladas! And I like margaritas, but I don’t like tequila plain… lol like in shot form.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance November 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I LOVE tequila. Margaritas are my favorite drink, actually! And as I type, I have crockpot fajitas going in the kitchen . . . so I think a margarita will be in order later tonight. ;)

Trisha November 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm

My favorite Mexican dish is every Mexican dish. Seriously. But I can make a meal of chips & guac too.
    I need that tequila snowcone stat. I hated tequila for years. Then grew a taste for it and now I can’t get enough.

Jaclyn November 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm

That looks like an awesome place!!

what were they taking you guys photo for?

Olivia November 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Lolita has amazing sangria! I went here once with my brother, who lives in Boston. Your food looks so good!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Any kind of Mexican is my favourite Mexican dish – I’m pretty obsessed. Although if I had to narrow it down, chicken mole has to be one the absolute best things I’ve ever had. So good!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm

The spicy cucumber margarita sounds delicious! I love chips and quac, plus blackened fish tacos–yummy. :)

Kathy D. November 10, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I love your restaurant posts. I live in a small town filled with ho hum restaurants so I appreciate seeing the offerings of more inspired restaurants. Nice photos despite the low light situation.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 10, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Wow, that looks like the coolest Mexican restaurant ever!! Free alcohol as a palate cleanser AND cotton candy? Sign me up!

Sara @ sarasmiles November 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Every time I’m at a Mexican restaurant I practically eat the same thing: I fill up on chips and guacamole and then order the fish tacos. I usually clean my plate and roll outta there every time.

I like my occasional margarita but I don’t really ever drink liquor so it’s rare. That cucumber drink looks good though!

Grace @ Grace Dishes November 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm

That restaurant looks amazing! I love how you shared dishes so you can try a lot of items without over-indulging.

My favorite Mexican dish is Guacamole on practically everything :)

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm

The palate cleanser seems fun – never seen anything like it! I usually stick with fajitas at Mexican places – the grilled onions are my favorite!

luv what you do November 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

What a fun evening!
    I think my favorite Mexican dish is fajitas!

Melissa November 10, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Is it just me, or does Mal look EXACTLY like Kevin McKidd (Owen Hunt) from Grey’s anatomy?! :D Holy cow! Please tell me “you get that a lot” and that I’m not the first. Or wait, are you married to a tv star!? :o

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 10, 2012 at 6:40 pm

So fun and exciting! That place sounds SO good so I’ll have to keep it in mind for future trips to Boston, or when I (hopefully and eventually) move back to Boston. :)

Erika November 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I adore mexican food! Guacamole and anything with mole sauce are my favorites. Now I really want to visit Lolita the next time I visit Boston. I like tequila but only in margaritas! I am not a tequila shot kind of girl. ;)

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.blogspot November 10, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Burritos with really spicy salsa :) Hate tequila, love proper margheritas.

Tricia November 10, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Loove Lolita! i can’t believe you have one in boston! we have one in portchester which is right out of the city. The guac is amazzzeee

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 10, 2012 at 8:12 pm

That place rocks! I want to go!! How fun!!

kitty November 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Looks like a fun place.. but you shared 3 tacos for dinner?

Tina November 10, 2012 at 8:28 pm

We split 6 tacos and an appetizer.

kitty November 11, 2012 at 7:47 am

@Tina: oh good!

Tracy November 10, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I just started blogging and I feel kind of weird taking pictures at restaurants. When you take pictures at a restaurant, do you introduce yourself as a food blogger and ask them if it is okay to take pictures? Just curious and wondering if there is some type of etiquette?

Tina November 10, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I never ask to take pics or tell the server I’m a blogger, but I know some bloggers who do. It’s really up to you! :)

Carli November 10, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I love it when I find unexpected places! Lolita seems so different and unique.

My personal Mexican favorite is fish or shrimp tacos. Yum! But no tequila for me.

Hillary of GRAS Pizza November 10, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I LOVE Lolita! It’s such a fun restaurant. They have an amazing corn on the cob side that you should try!

My favorite mexican dish is anything SMOTHERED in guacamole :D

Steffi November 11, 2012 at 1:23 am

Wahoo! You’re famous girl! :D

Val November 11, 2012 at 1:48 am

My favorite Mexican dish is a tie between quesadillas veracruzanas and stuffed poblano pepper. I had the second one at a restaurant in San Antonio and loved it! I’m not a huge fan of tequila (bad memories from school…), but I do enjoy a good marg :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 11, 2012 at 7:45 am

I love any kind of Mexican food, but lately I’ve been loving enchiladas. I just tried Oh She Glows’ sweet potato and black bean enchiladas, and they were amazing!

Sky November 11, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I live in the area that is home to genuine Mexican food in beautiful Las Cruces,NM (Hatch chilies are grown not even an hour away)!! Mexican food is a common meal throughout the week for me. My favorite Mexican food to order are classic green cheese enchiladas :) You should come to New Mexico and try out some Mexican food from here!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 12, 2012 at 1:30 am

My favorite Mexican dishes are enchiladas and tamales. They HAVE to be lard free or I will be gagging the rest of the night after one bite.

Kelly@BalancedDaily November 12, 2012 at 9:45 am

Green apple flavored cotton candy I have never heard of but sounds great! I’m absolutely obsessed with guacamole, so I’d basically eat anything that had some guac on it, but my favorite mexican dish is is quesadillas (chicken, pork or steak) Yum! And of course I love tequila :)

Ed November 12, 2012 at 10:47 am

That looks like a cool joint!