• Reebok Blogger Event: CrossFit WOD

November 19, 2012

Well, hello! Long time, no talk. I had quite the whirlwind weekend, which was packed full of fitness, fun, and friends, so I didn’t have a chance to blog. Sorry about that. Let’s rewind to Friday morning!

On Friday morning, I drove to Reebok Headquarters to meet a bunch of Fitfluential bloggers for a day of fitness and, of course, fun. Remember when I visited Reebok back in May for a different blogger event? This trip was similar, but I liked it even better. It might have had a little to do with WOD-ing with some superstar CrossFit athletes, but I also really enjoyed the more intimate experience. The group of bloggers was smaller this time, so it was easier to interact and engage with the folks from Reebok. We also had multiple opportunities to provide feedback and brainstorm how we could better work together in the future, so I feel like it was a more focused and beneficial experience for everyone involved.

001

“By your powers combined…

003

After a light breakfast and brief presentation, we headed over to CrossFit ONE for a WOD.

[photo courtesy of Jess]

004

It was great to see old friends (Jess) and make new ones (Heather)!

005

Heather, Erika, and Jess pre-WOD. Love the matching jackets, ladies!

006

CrossFit ONE is one of the nicest boxes around, so I was psyched to visit and workout there. Remember the time I knocked over all of the PVC pipes and made a huge commotion there? I couldn’t help but think of that when I saw a bucket of them on Friday morning. Haha!

007

Things kicked off with a welcome and explanation of the WOD by CrossFit athlete and CrossFit ONE head coach, Austin Malleolo.

008

Remember Austin from the 2012 CrossFit Games? He did so well and placed 8th.

010

009

Other CrossFit athletes and coaches at the WOD: Christy Phillips (she finished 11th at the 2012 Reebok CrossFit Games), Julie Foucher (the 2nd Fittest Woman in the World), and Anne Marie McKay (an avid CrossFitter and oldest member of CrossFit ONE at 74 years old).

011

Joe Masley, Jared Davis, and Spencer Hendel (finished 13th at the 2012 Reebok CrossFit Games).

014

The WOD was quite a bit more challenging than our first visit to Crossfit ONE. They weren’t going easy on us this time!

016

Check out this workout!

017

It was a team WOD, so two Fitfluential ambassadors were matched up with a CrossFit athlete. Courtney and I were paired with Joe Masley, who was super friendly and a fantastic coach. He gave us great instruction before the WOD and then cheered us on the entire time.

024

In teams of 3, complete the following:

• Run 200 meters (relay)
    • 150 Thrusters (45#/30# dumbbells)
    • 100 Chest-to-Bar Pull-ups
    • 50 Box Jumps (30″/24″)
    • Run 200 meters (relay)

Rules:

• 1 person works
    • 1 person holds bar in static position
    • 1 person rests
    • Rotate as needed
    • 10 Burpees penalty if the bar touches the ground

018

Once we got the WOD, we practiced the proper form for Thrusters.

[photo courtesy of Jess]

And then it was time to get our WOD on! Courtney was first on the relay, so once Joe and I ran our legs, she started on the Thrusters.

025

Joe ran last, so he rested first and I picked up the 115-pound bar . The prescribed workout for women was to hold the bar in the front rack position (below), but I could barely clean that weight, so Joe gave me a modification.

[photo courtesy of Jess]

Oh, hey, Julie. Holding 115 pounds in the front rack position is no problem for the 2nd Fittest Woman in the World. She’s also a pretty snazzy dresser. Aren’t her tights fun?!

Instead of holding the bar at my shoulders, I held it in the deadlift position (below).

[photo courtesy of Jess]

Once Courtney got tired doing Thrusters, we rotated, so Joe took the bar from me (he held it overhead) and then I started doing Thrusters while Courtney rested.

022

We continued to rotate (one person works, one person holds the bar, one person rests) until we finished the 150 Thrusters as a team. Then, we moved onto the 100 ring rows and 50 box jumps and continued with the same rotation.

019

The various movements were challenging, but holding that damn 115-pound bar was absolutely killer. My forearms were burning and I was so close to losing my grip, but Joe saved me every time, so our team managed to avoid the Burpee penalty.

[photo from Kelly]

Our team was on fire and we actually finished first! Woohoo!

030

Way to go, team #HAM! (Joe named our team. I have no idea what it means, but I like it! Haha!)

[photo from Kelly]

Once we finished the WOD, we cheered on the rest of the teams, including Anne Marie, who finished strong with a 100 meter sprint with Spencer. I hope I’m still doing CrossFit at her age!

026

I can’t even explain how cool it was to workout with such amazing CrossFit athletes. I mean, I was box jumping right next to Julie Foucher at one point! She’s my CrossFit idol, so I introduced myself at the end of the WOD. Julie was so sweet and more than willing to chat, so I asked her about her training and diet. Julie said she workouts for 90 minutes, 5 days a week (solely CrossFit). Her coach in Michigan does all of her programming and she said it’s nice to have someone to tell her what to do. As for her diet, Julie eats Paleo. She started with a 30-day trial last January, and said it improved her CrossFit performance, so she stuck with it. Julie occasionally cheats on her Paleo diet, and when she does, she said she definitely notices a difference in how she feels. Anne got a great video of Julie talking about how she balances med school with CrossFit.

028

Post-WOD pics: Jess, Christy, and Ashley!

027

CrossFit athletes/coaches!

033

Jess and me!

034

Erika, me, and Anne!

boston19
    [photo courtesy of Erika]

The whole FitFluential crew!

[photo courtesy of Jess]

Have you ever met a famous athlete? If so, who? What were they like in person? If not, who would you like to meet?

Ali @ Peaches and Football November 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

What a great experience to work out with all the “pros”. How fun! I love knowing there’s a 74 year old doing CrossFit as well. So often it seems it is just full of 20-40 year olds and it’s wonderful and inspiring to see the mix. Something for everyone!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 19, 2012 at 9:48 am

I’ve loved reading all of your ladies’ various recaps with different photos and perspectives from the weekend! It sounds and looks like it was such a fun time!

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

I would die… I have a huge girl crush on Julie Foucher. I’m so sad shes not competing in the 2013 games, but I admire her even more for taking her schooling so seriously. I would love to be at the next reebok meet up!

Karey @ Nutty About Health November 19, 2012 at 9:54 am

That Crossfit event looks like a lot of fun! Quite a lot of “guns” being shown there! BTW, your arms look great in your pic! Everyone is in such great shape & the 74 yr-old woman is AMAZING!!! I really think she is such an inspiration as to the power of fitness.
    I don’t really have a lot of athletes I admire, but I guess I’d have to go w/a football player then. ;) I’d love to meet Clay Matthews from the Green Bay Packers! Wowza!

Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food November 19, 2012 at 9:54 am

I read a couple of these other blogger’s blogs too and I have to say, I have been jealous all weekend! It looks like so much fun! Way to go on finishing first!

Corrie Anne November 19, 2012 at 9:58 am

Yay Julie Foucher! Yay 74-year-old lady! How fun!

Kelly@BalancedDaily November 19, 2012 at 10:01 am

Looks like a tough (but fun!) WOD. Must have been so cool to be working out with some of the best CrossFit athletes, and that Grandma is a bad a**! I have never met an athlete (or any famous person for that matter) before. But I think if I could meet anyone it would be Tom Brady (obviously) or Larry Bird.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio November 19, 2012 at 10:01 am

Such a great post Tina!! Friday was an absolute blast and it was great working out alongside you and the other bloggers. Keep up the awesome work on Crossfit!

Laura November 19, 2012 at 10:02 am

If he’s referring to HAM from the Kayne West/ JayZ song than it means “hard as a mother——” haha.

Tina November 19, 2012 at 10:18 am

Haha! I had no idea!

Nina A. November 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

@Laura: From the looks of things, they did go HAM!!! Great job Tina.

Tina November 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

@Nina A.: Haha! Thanks! :)

Dori November 19, 2012 at 10:03 am

Anne Marie is AWESOME. That is really amazing and inspiring!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) November 19, 2012 at 10:05 am

I’d like to meet that 74 year old lady! Seriously amazing, want to stay as fit and active and be just like that when I’m older! Looks like an amazing visit to Reebok!

NYC Fit GIrl November 19, 2012 at 10:11 am

I am so jealous you met Julie Foucher! She is my idol!! Looks like such a fun event.

Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian November 19, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’ve been waiting to hear the recap after seeing all the great photos on instagram! It looks like you guys had an amazing time!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life November 19, 2012 at 10:22 am

Yeah teammate! WOO HOO!!
    Haha, I really still want to ask him what the whole #HAM thing meant ;)

SANDRA November 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

HAM? Haupert, (Courtney’s last name begin with “A”?), Masley?? Or Kanye’s song….

Ina November 19, 2012 at 10:37 am

Sounds like a fun visit with all the superstar crossfit stars. I’m sad to see the true lack of diversity at many of these fitness blogger events. I mean really..it’s always the same groups of people. Surely Reebok/Adidas can reach out to various groups. Many of us love fitness and look to purchase their products but not when it seems their products are geared towards certain people.I’m not trying to incite but I think many would agree.

Barbara November 19, 2012 at 10:39 am

I recently met Dean Karnazes at a running event . He was so nice to talk to, even though he was surrounded by fans. I would LOVE to run with him one day (just not for 100+ miles) :)

sara @www.fitcupcaker.blogspot.com November 19, 2012 at 10:44 am

I met some uk basketball players while i attended uk. I would love to meet some olympic volleyball players!! Check out my blog for a great granola recipe!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

Wow, looks like a tough WOD and a great experience! I’ve never met a famous athlete, although I did snag the autograph of a Syracuse basketball player at Chili’s when I was in middle school. That was pretty cool. :)

Deidre Skrudland November 19, 2012 at 10:51 am

Oh my gosh! You met Julie Foucher! And you got to workout with her. That. Is. Awesome! That’s so cool that you got the opportunity to workout at CrossFit One. It looks like you had an awesome time!! And you look fabulous BTW! Keep on rocking it girl!

Nicole November 19, 2012 at 10:55 am

Hi Tina! I just wanted to tell you that yesterday I ran the furthest I have ever run (BY FAR) after I haven’t ran in 6 months. The last three miles I thought of your mantra yelling in my head “stop being a wuss!”- thanks for keeping me going!

Tina November 19, 2012 at 11:02 am

That’s awesome! Nice job!!!!! :)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats November 19, 2012 at 11:00 am

What a great experience! Looks like you guys had a blast!

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit November 19, 2012 at 11:21 am

Looks like all of the ladies had a great time, so fun to be able to experience the WOD at Reebok! Meeting any extreme Crossfit athletes would be such a cool thing!

Andrea November 19, 2012 at 11:28 am

HAM= Hard as a mother—f-er! Ha…crossfit looks fun..and hard. I want to try it but unfortunately there isn’t one in the area.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 19, 2012 at 11:59 am

Um are any of those guys single? No like seriously… Ha, I need to do crossfit. But no, I don’t think I’ve ever met a famous athlete in person but I’m sure it was inspiring, and so cool to get to work out with her!

Tina November 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

@Katie @ Peace Love & Oats: You do! Lots of cute boys! ;)

Rachel @ For the Love of Chocolate November 19, 2012 at 11:59 am

Tina, here is a video on YouTube where Spencer and Austin talk about HAM means! Haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8WvmmP-2Mk

Tina November 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Haha! That’s awesome!

Genelle November 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

That looks like a challenging workout! I’ve never tried Crossfit but seeing all of the bloggers fun posts about it, I might go look for a box to try. Thank you for telling us about your experience!

Sarah (shh..Fithappens) November 19, 2012 at 2:20 pm

That looks so awesome! And yes this CrossFit is quie the hit, it seems…may just have to give it a try now!

Beth November 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Looks like an awesome time! I am so CrossFit curious, I am just worried that I always be way too sore after to complete all of my other workouts. Do you find that you are really sore after your WODs?

Tina November 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm

It depends on the WOD. They’re all so different, so sometimes I’m super sore, and, other times, I’m not at all. It also depends how much you scale the workout.

Amanda Jewell November 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm

holy abdominals…. Spencer is JACKED!

Tina November 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm

All of the guys were! Holy goodness! :)

Amanda Jewell November 20, 2012 at 12:19 am

@Tina: I. Need. Your. Job. :-)

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit November 19, 2012 at 3:50 pm

That looks like such an incredible and fun experience :D. I love that the WOD was a team effort. What a blast!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail November 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm

OH this post just makes me smile!! I want to go back–I’m glad to know an avid CrossFitter as yourself also thought it was challenging! My HR was through the ROOF! My pull-ups really sucked after several rounds–I hardly could string together more than 4 or 5. p.s HAM = hard as a M’f-er! that’s how Austin & Spencer decide if they had a good WOD!

Ashley November 19, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I think I may have left this in a comment before, but I actually went to college with Spencer Hendel. We worked on an art history project together, haha. It is so crazy to see him competing and on your blog! Good for him!!

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness November 19, 2012 at 6:21 pm

You got to box jump next to Julie Foucher! That is amazing! What an incredible experience for you. Thank you for sharing it with us :)

Tina H. November 19, 2012 at 7:35 pm

What a great post. I have met Dave Mirra of X Games fame. My husband is actually friends with him. He is a sweetheart; very down to earth and so kind. He does a lot for charity as well.

jane November 19, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I have to say, you look great and i LOVE the look of a defined, muscular woman. But some of those women look wayyyyy too muscular/manly for my taste! Is that just from cross fit?? that’s enough to scare me away!

Life's a Bowl November 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm

This looks so cool and an awesome opportunity!

Melissa November 19, 2012 at 10:11 pm

That looks like an unforgettable day! I used to married to a famous triathlete. At the end of the day… He was just my husband and made the bed every morning:)

MegG November 19, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Very cool that you met Julie, and had a great time with the other FFAs! I watched Anne’s video earlier, it’s really amazing what Julie has been able to achieve, she’ll definitely be missed at the Games this year! I’ve met a handful of Olympians, including Shawn Johnson who was really nice!

mary @ minutes per mile November 20, 2012 at 6:05 am

wow, that’s intense! you guys are all reebok-ed out, i need to go shopping now.

tiffany November 20, 2012 at 7:05 am

How could you concentrate? I would have stared at Austin the entire time…haha!

Caitlin November 20, 2012 at 9:39 am

I did meet Mia Hamm at the Fitness Meet & Tweet! She was so kind but I felt bad for her that she just kept having to take the same photos and sign the same soccer balls all morning, haha. I also met Cal Ripken Jr of the Orioles when I was little! He autographed a baseball for me and took a lot of time to engage with his fans. I loved reading about this WOD! Def a lot more challenging than the one we did in May, very cool. The box jumps would murder me. I do certainly love Julie’s tights!

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Alright, that’s it. I have to buy a pair of awesome colored sneakers like the ones I always see photos of on here! My ankles/feet are pretty specific about what running shoes they like, so I have to stick with a specific shoe, which unfortunately doesn’t come in any fun colors. But there’s no reason I can’t get fun sneakers for cross-training!