• My Favorite Type of Saturday

November 10, 2012

Hi, friends! I’m off to Des Moines bright and early tomorrow morning (here’s why), so I’m going to make this post quick. I need to finish packing (why do I always wait until the last minute?!) and get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Breakfast

I started my day with a two-ingredient pancake, which actually ended up being a 5-ingredient pancake because I added shredded coconut, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to the mix. (I used 2 eggs again this time.) I topped my pancake with Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter, and it was a fabulous breakfast.

Workout

After breakfast, Mal and I went to CrossFit, where we did a fun partner WOD:

WOD:

In teams of two:

Row 1000 meters
    100 Double Unders
    90 Mountain Climbers
    80 Air Squats
    Row 750 meters
    70 Tuck Jumps
    60 Russian Twists (2-ct) (45, 25)
    50 Push-ups
    Row 500 meters
    40 Wallballs (20, 14)
    30 Chin-ups
    20 Pistols

One person works while one person rests. Rowing will be split 50/50. Scaling available from your coach in class.

Our coach split us up into groups of two, so my partner and I divided the rowing and all of the exercises equally between us. We both struggled on the chin-ups, but we managed to plow through everything else at a pretty good pace. I even got a string of 21 and 18 on the Double Unders! Woohoo! Progress, baby! My partner and I finished the WOD in 28:39.

After CrossFit, Mal and I stopped at home to pick up Murphy to take him to the dog park.

Look at that curly tongue! Haha!

On our way to the park, we stopped by Marylou’s for iced coffees. I went with a decaf Milky Way today. Mmm!

Lunch

After the park, I threw together lunch, which was a bunch of kale chips and some roasted red and sweet potatoes with blue cheese crumbles. I also ate a scoop of Teddie peanut butter straight from the jar, but never snapped a pic of it.

I spent the next few hours working before Mal came into my office with a glass of wine, which was his signal for “stop working and relax with me,” so that’s exactly what I did. My husband is so smart.

Mal and I sat on the couch with Murph and caught up with our DVR. Ahhh… life is good.

Dinner

A little while later, we cooked dinner, which was a bunch of randomness from the refrigerator, but it turned out pretty well. In the mix: pork chops, bacon, green beans, and carrots.

After dinner, we cozied up on the couch again and turned on a movie. We watched “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close,” which was a great movie, but so sad. I was choking back tears a number of times.

During the movie, Mal broke out some chocolate chip cookie dough, so I enjoyed a couple of bites for dessert.

cookiedough

All in all, it was a great day! In fact, it was my favorite type of Saturday!

What does your favorite kind of Saturday include?

Ashley @ Coffee, Cake and Cardio November 10, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Have fun in Iowa!!! My hubby is from there :)

JV November 10, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I live in West Des Moines… And I just tweeted you that it’s going from mod-70s today to 30s on Monday! Pack warm ;)

Sarah November 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I could eat a whole roll of cookie dough. Seriously, that stuff is addicting.

sue November 11, 2012 at 12:52 am

I just finished reading “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close” this evening. It was a very sad book, so it might take me awhile to get around to watching the movie. Heavy boots!

Brooke @ beingvivacious November 11, 2012 at 1:06 am

So long as I get a chance to be outside in fresh air it is my favorite type of Saturday.

Honey What's Cooking November 11, 2012 at 2:15 am

i wish they had a Marylou around NYC. I really wanna try it after you mentioned all the various flavors they have. Murphy’s curled up tongue is such a cute photo.

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.blogspot November 11, 2012 at 3:40 am

What a lovely day. Exercise, sunshine, relaxation… Sometimes it’s good to have exciting plans but this kind of day suits me just fine!

Mallory November 11, 2012 at 5:10 am

My fave Saturday is to wake up and have a giant coffee and brunch w my fam, crossfit and then dog park with the dog and then just getting silly w my nieces and nephews!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 11, 2012 at 7:54 am

My favorite Saturday is any that includes a little bit of time for relaxing! :-)

Kristen @ Change of Pace November 11, 2012 at 7:55 am

That sounds like a perfect Saturday!

Sherry November 11, 2012 at 8:01 am

I live in Des Moines and you just missed the nice weather! Hope you enjoy your time today and hope you stay warm. As long as I’m spending time with my Husband and Kids I’m happy. I love being able to cook with my kids and doing some sort of family activity. Yesterday we went bowling and then bought new coats to get ready for winter! :)

Nicole @ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com November 11, 2012 at 8:07 am

My favorite kind of saturday is waking up early and getting stuff done around the house then heading to a local winery and enjoying the beautiful weather. That is what we did yesterday and it was so wonderful!

jen November 11, 2012 at 8:10 am

this is pretty much my favorite kind of saturday too! the main ingredients are: a workout, active time with my family and dogs, and delicious healthy food. this saturday was rough for me personally but reading this blog made me smile. thanks for that. :)

Chiropractic Manager November 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

Wow what a productive day! I wish I could have all the rest I could get but Saturday seems like an ordinary work-day me. I love how you spent the day with jogging, movie, wine and good food. Yeah right, life is good!

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness November 11, 2012 at 9:08 am

Sounds like the perfect Saturday to me too! As long as CrossFit’s included I’m sold!

Jessica November 11, 2012 at 9:38 am

Random question: After your Crossfit you didint eat anything until lunch? I dont work out nearly as hard as you, and I am dying of starvation shortly after a workout. Your workout looked killer!
    Welcome to Iowa!! I am about 2 1/2 hours away from Des Moines, hope you have a great trip!

Tina November 11, 2012 at 9:53 am

Nope, I went to the dog park with Mal and Murphy, and I wasn’t hungry. Everyone is different! :)

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats November 11, 2012 at 9:41 am

Have fun in my home state! I worked at Meredith briefly a few years ago…you’ll love their offices!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles November 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

Usually running, errands, maybe some baking. This was a GREAT Saturday because I volunteered at a 50k race.

I cried through that WHOLE movie. Some movies do that to me (see Out of Africa, Cold Mountain).

The Kidless Kronicles

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

Sounds like a great Saturday! My favorite Saturdays are a good mix of productivity, fun, and relaxation… All of that being with my favorite little family. :)

Christina November 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

My perfect saturday is going for a nice long run, watching tv, and reading a book. That picture of murphy with his curly tongue is so cute. My dog, spencer, does the same thing.

Katie November 11, 2012 at 10:03 am

My favorite type of Saturday would probably involve cookie dough too. :) That and just hanging out with some people for a chill day, especially now that it’s getting cold out. Love being cozy inside.

Tina November 11, 2012 at 10:51 am

Cookie dough definitely made it a great Saturday! :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 11, 2012 at 10:28 am

Sounds like a nice, relaxing Saturday! I hope you had a safe trip this morning!

Christine (The Raw Project) November 11, 2012 at 10:41 am

Sounds like a great day, mine are relaxed, but productive days with no stress or agenda. Have fun in Des Moines!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com November 11, 2012 at 10:48 am

Looks like an AMAZING Saturday!!! Your breakfasts always look so amazing-I need to stop and slow down and make something a little more fun to kick of my day! Hope your trip to Des Moines is good and that you have safe travels!

Debbie from WBL November 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’m in Minnesota….hope Des Moines is warmer! Brrr! I had wine yesterday in that same glass from Truro!

Maria November 11, 2012 at 1:30 pm

That sounds like a perfect day! I’m enjoying Sunday today, the weather is so lovely, it’s hard not to enjoy it. I had my deep cleaning taken care of for me this week, which just adds so much value to the relaxation!

Deidre Skrudland November 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Sounds like such a fun day! My Saturday usually consists of a long early morning run, a big breakfast, and college football! A nice movie (whether at home or in the theater) usually completes the day!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 12, 2012 at 1:32 am

Murphy!! He is so stinking cute! Glad you had an amazing weekend :)

Brian November 12, 2012 at 8:19 am

I really glad other crossfitters eat cookie dough for dessert.

Kelly@BalancedDaily November 12, 2012 at 12:17 pm

My favorite type of Saturday is when I get to sleep in a little bit, then have something fun planned to do outdoors with my friends that includes great food. Saturday is my cheat day so I usually try to eat something delicious. This past Saturday my friends and I went to Ribfest in St. Petersburg and it was great! Awesome food, cold beer and sunshine= my favorite type of Saturday.

Laura@ Eat Right Newsletter November 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I love hearing about your Crossfit workouts! I am so tempted to try ALL of them! It’s great how you can eat healthy meals but fit in a yummy snack like a Milky Way iced coffee or some cookie dough so you’re not depriving yourself. My perfect Saturday includes a lot of laughing and good vibes!