• Mohegan Sun Girls’ Weekend {Part 1}

November 19, 2012

After the blogger event at Reebok, Anne, Julie, and I hopped in my car and drove down to Mohegan Sun for a girls’ weekend. Remember when Anne, Theodora, Ashley, and I were there back in January for the Sun Winefest? Well, Michelle, Mohegan’s Public Relations Manager, invited us once again, but this time for more of a health living-inspired girls’ weekend—complete with outdoor activities, spa appointments, and an epic tasting dinner.

057

When we arrived, I immediately noticed the holiday decorations on display at Mohegan. The life-size gingerbread house wasn’t quite ready yet, but the decor definitely put me in a festive mood!

130_thumb

Anne, Julie, and I checked into our hotel room, took quick showers (we were stinky and hungry after the Reebok event) and then went to dinner at Bar Americain. Elizabeth and Theodora were arriving later in the evening, so they told us to eat without them.

reebok event 065 (750x563)

Dinner was delicious—I ordered the mussels and French fries and a glass of white wine—and then we headed back up to our room to meet Elizabeth and Theodora. The five of us sat around and chatted for hours before hitting the hay.

The next morning, we met four other bloggers (Caitlin, Beth, Bianca and Maria) for some adventures in Mystic, Connecticut. The group split up into three groups and either went biking, hiking, or visited the Mystic Aquarium.

reebok event 074 (750x563)

Anne, Elizabeth, Julie, Theodora, and I picked biking, so a limo drove us to Mystic (about 25 minutes away) to meet Rich and June, who own Mystic Bike Rentals.

058

Hooray for boxed lunches from Mohegan!

060

062

Before we started our bike ride, Rich and June helped us adjust our bikes.

066

067

Ready to ride!

068

069

Exploring Mystic by bike was a lot of fun, and it was such a beautiful day for it!

094

A few times during our ride, we stopped and Rich shared tidbits of info about the surrounding area and its history.

071

070

072

074

The halfway point of our 8-mile bike ride was at B.F. Clyde’s Cider Mill where we stopped to rest and enjoy some fresh cider.

090

087

The Cider Mill was adorable!

088

091

And all you could smell was fresh cider in the air!

076

075

078

079

080

081

Hard cider? This sign obviously caught my attention.

082

I sampled a couple of hard ciders and really enjoyed them. I considered buying some, but I wasn’t sure how I’d navigate a half galloon on my bike, so I didn’t in the end.

084

085

After our time at the Cider Mill, we rode back to meet the limo. Not even 5 minutes into our ride, one of the pedals fell off of my bike. Ok, it was actually the pedal and arm of the pedal. They both popped right off and fell onto the road. June saw the whole thing happen and stopped to help me. She tried to fix my bike, but she ended up reattaching the arm and pedal at a weird angle, which made the bike really tough to ride. We ended up switching bikes (she didn’t want me to ride the broken one) and pedaling slowly back to the limo. June kept telling me to go ahead and catch up with the group, but I didn’t want to leave her stranded, so we trucked along and had a good laugh about the whole situation.

Back in the limo, we broke open our boxed lunches, which were Italian sandwiches, potato salad, apples, potato chips, and a chocolate chip cookie.

096

I was starving, so I dug right in.

097

Part 2 coming next!

Lauren November 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm

So nice that you could extend some girl time into this event. Looks like you had a beautiful weekend with some fantastic girls. :)

Nicole @ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com November 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm

That looks like such a fun girls weekend!

Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food November 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Wow! It looks like you all had so much fun! Now I am craving some Cider! =)

Annette@FitnessPerks November 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

That bike tour sounds lovely! I think seeing sights from a bike is a fab way to see a bunch of stuff & get in some good fresh air & activity. You all look like you had a blast!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Ooh – I love going to cider mills! Looks like so much fun =)

Beth @ The OC Fit Girl November 19, 2012 at 5:29 pm

That cider looks delish! I love New England…sigh. SoCal is not hardly as beautiful in the fall.

Sarah @PickyRunner November 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

This sounds like such a great weekend! So many perks from your trip! Can’t wait to read the rest :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm

So fun! You girls look great!

julie @ peanut butter fingers November 19, 2012 at 5:37 pm

steve hitching a ride in your pocket made me laugh out loud! miss you already!

Theodora November 19, 2012 at 7:20 pm

@julie @ peanut butter fingers: :) I missed that the first time and was about to leave an angry comment asking where he was.

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles November 19, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I was laughing at the comment about craving cider. Now I am craving a casino!!! Hahahaha.

The Kidless Kronicles

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 19, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Biking and cider drinking sounds like a perfect combo! :)

Kristen@Change of Pace November 19, 2012 at 6:15 pm

So jealous of your fun trip! Friends, food, and fitness sounds like the perfect time :)

Sara P. (http://fitcupcaker.blogspot.com November 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm

That looked so fun. Hopefully if my blog takes off one day Ill be able to travel and do some fun stuff! You keep me inspired just fyi!

Mindy November 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Tina, are those the Lulu wunder under pants you’re wearing? I have my eye on a pair but wasn’t sure how they held up at Crossfit. My absolute favorite bottoms for Crossfit are the Lulu run speed shorts, but I have always wanted a pair of wunder unders.

Tina November 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm

No, they’re from Moving Comfort! :)

Megan November 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm

@Mindy: As an avid lulu fan.. my favorite crops for Crossfit are Ebb n Flows or Run for your life crops. Wunder unders usually slip down on me at CF :(

lulu does uploads early Tues morning [around 2:15am est].. a little birdy told me ebb n flows are being restocked tomorrow. high reccomend for CF! :)

Brooke @ BeingVivacious.blogspot.com November 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Aw. This looks like too much fun!

natalie @ will jog for food November 19, 2012 at 6:57 pm

How fun! Nothing like hard cider after a nice bike ride :)

Emily @ Life on Food November 19, 2012 at 7:27 pm

You had a beautiful day! I love visiting Mystic.

Ashley November 19, 2012 at 7:27 pm

So jealous you got to try some of that delicious sweet cider, when can we expect part two?

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 19, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Ah that looks like so much fun! I absolutely love cider, especially now that I can’t drink beer (gluten), it’s a great replacement. And I’ve only been on one bike tour before, here in Chicago when my friend visited, but I loved it because we got a lot of fun information AND got to bike!

Carli November 19, 2012 at 8:09 pm

That cider mill is totally cute! And I want the tree in my house.

What a fun time!

Annamaria November 19, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Just wondering… what’s that doll doing in your pocket and on the table with your food in another post?!

Tina November 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm

That’s Steve the Pirate! :)

Emily November 19, 2012 at 8:50 pm

You are such a nice person, Tina. I love that you stayed with June back away from the group because you didn’t want to leave her alone. That was considerate of you. Some people would have gotten so bent out of shape over a situation like that, but you used it as an opportunity to make someone feel good. :)

Mary November 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Tina, was your helmet on backwards??????

Tina November 19, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Nope! :)

Life's a Bowl November 19, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Haha who is the little guy in your pocket?! And this sounds like an awesome weekend! My sorority in college went to Mystic and it was so cute and quaint :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 19, 2012 at 9:37 pm

What a fun weekend!!

luv what you do November 19, 2012 at 10:07 pm

That looks like the BEST kind of girl’s weekend. I love exploring by bike! You are so lucky!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food November 19, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Looks like such an amazing and fun time!

Sloane @ Life Food and Beer November 19, 2012 at 11:34 pm

It looks like such a fun weekend! I’m a fan of PBFingers, so I thought I had already read this when I first seen your post :)

Baroque Diva November 20, 2012 at 12:04 am

Hooray! I’m from Mystic, my Dad bought a DOZEN apple cider donuts at Clyde’s the other week when my sister was home visiting… the BEST. Looks like you had a great time in my pretty pretty village! :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) November 20, 2012 at 3:20 am

Looks like such an awesome day! Nothing like fresh air, friends and exercise paired with some yummy food at the end of it all!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 20, 2012 at 7:49 am

What a fun day! I love exploring new places by biking!

Caitlin November 20, 2012 at 9:22 am

It was so great to see you and loved learning about what happened on your bike ride! Still a bit envious of the hard cider and donuts ;) and Bar Americain! I’ve always wanted to dine there! It’s in my future for sure.

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm