• Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Salad

November 8, 2012

Sooooo, last night’s dinner was wicked good. It was so good, in fact, it deserves its own post. I set out to make a potato-chicken salad and it ended up being ten times more delicious than I ever expected. It tasted like loaded potato skins that you would order at a restaurant as an appetizer and, oh my goodness, it was frickin’ delicious! And I totally impressed Mal with this meal. He could not stop talking about how much he liked it. This one is definitely a keeper (the recipe and the husband)!

• 4-5 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
    • 12 ounces Brussels sprouts, cut in half
    • 1.75 pounds of boneless chicken
    • 7 slices of cooked bacon
    • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
    • 3 tbsp mayo
    • 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
    • 1 tbsp minced garlic
    • 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
    • Salt + pepper
    • Olive oil for roasting the Brussels sprouts, onions, and red potatoes

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Toss potatoes in olive oil, salt, and pepper and then cook for approximately 45 minutes until tender and lightly browned. Meanwhile, toss Brussels sprouts and onions in olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast for approximately 20 minutes until tender and lightly browned.
    • While vegetables are roasting in the oven, cook the chicken and bacon. (I baked the chicken in the oven and microwaved the bacon, but feel free to use whatever method you prefer!)
    • Once the chicken and bacon are finished cooking, allow them to cool and then cut up the chicken and break the bacon into small pieces.
    • Once the vegetables are fully cooked, combine them in a large bowl with the chicken, bacon, mayo, mustard, garlic, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and serve warm.

Kristen @ Change of Pace November 8, 2012 at 3:08 pm

OMG! I’ve got to make this asap. My husband would love this.

Melissa November 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm

That looks really good…anything with bacon, taters, chicken, and roasted veggies is good in my book. I may double up on the mustard though because just the smell of mayo makes me want to yak, lol. Thanks for sharing! :)

Ashley November 8, 2012 at 3:37 pm

@Melissa: You could always sub greek yogurt and a little bit of seasoning for the mayo!

Melissa November 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm

@Ashley: thanks so much Ashley..I am now learning greek yogurt can be the substitute for a lot of things, lol. I am def trying this recipe this week. :)

Diane November 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Sounds amazing!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Love how everything is mixed in one bowl. Bacon + Brussels sprouts is a killer combo – yum!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm

This would be husband approved for me, too!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

sounds delicious! How many servings does this come out to be? It sounds like a lot of chicken so I’m guessing it’s more of a family-style dish/eat as leftovers?

Tina November 8, 2012 at 3:39 pm

It was 4 large servings.

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Bacon makes everything better!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Pretty much the only way I could probably convince the boyfriend to eat brussel sprouts!

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.blogspot November 8, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Yum! Looks amazing. I want it now and I just ate dinner!

Lauren @ muchadoaboutsomethin.blogspot.com November 8, 2012 at 3:58 pm

This looks awesome! Husband isn’t a huge fan of Brussels sprouts, but I bet he’d eat them this way!

Ed November 8, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Wow that looks tasty…all around hearty too!

Irene November 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Any ideas on what to sub for brussel sprouts? My husband won’t even try it if there are brussel sprouts present. Would broccoli be good?

Tina November 8, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Sure! I think broccoli would taste good! :)

Jillian January 9, 2013 at 7:13 pm

@Tina: I made it with broccoli tonight, it was great!

Kristen @ Happy Running Mama November 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm

YUMMY! I love anything with brussel sprouts! I’d have to remove the chicken and bacon (I’m vegetarian) but if I had those on the side, my family could still add them in. Looks delicious.

One of my favorite things to do is to make up recipes using things in my fridge and cupboards. So much fun to come up with different meals and also funny when something just does NOT mix together well and we all have a good laugh. Ha!

Amelia @eatingmadeeasy November 8, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Maybe it’s just because I’m hungry right now but that looks amazing! I wouldn’t have thought to put Brussels sprouts, potatoes, and meat together in a bowl. What a comforting combination of food, mmm.

michelle kim November 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Yummmm~ Looks and sounds so delicious!
    I love brussel sprouts and potato skins! (sometimes when we go to restaurants and people only eat the inside part of their baked potato, I eat their potato skins).

Lauren November 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Oh yum! My lunch was sort of similar (minus the potatoes) and I’m still STUFFED 4 hours later. Gotta love those fibrous veggies.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 8, 2012 at 5:03 pm

YUM! This looks so tasty. Love the combo of Brussels sprouts and potatoes together. I would have to make this without the meat but know that it will be absolutely delicious.

Tasha November 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm

This recipe looks soooooo good! I definitely have to make this ASAP. I think the fiance would just looove it.

Rachel Wilkerson November 8, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Mmmm excited to try this! I love loaded baked potatoes!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 8, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Wowee! YUM! I love how simple this sounds too. Can’t beat an easy AND delicious dinner!

Anne November 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm

This looks delicious! I love Brussels sprouts and I am always looking for new ways use them :)

sara November 8, 2012 at 7:06 pm

This looks so Good. I’m making it Tomorrow night for dinner! I wrote out my weekly meal plan and all my dinner recipes are What you have made! I can’t wait.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 8, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Looks yummy! I never thought of Brussles Sprouts and potatoes! I love it!

Nikki November 8, 2012 at 9:03 pm

As soon as I saw this I had to make it – was delicious!

Theresa November 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Looks great! I can’t wait to try this!

Maria November 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Looks delicious Tina. I am just wondering why you gave up on the Paleo challenge? This is not a judgement, I could not have done it for a day but just wondering if the diet made you feel better, worse or didn’t really make a difference??

Tina November 9, 2012 at 6:18 am

I’m just not a fan of diets. They don’t jive with me.

the 3volution of j3nn November 9, 2012 at 1:07 am

Sounds delish! I’d probably add cheese and sour cream on top.

Khushboo Thadani November 9, 2012 at 1:40 am

This looks yum…the only thing better would be dipping it in some garlicky sauce (perhaps Greek yogurt with garlic & dill)!

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) November 9, 2012 at 6:18 am

The salad has everything that I love!! Looks fabulous. 😀

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats November 9, 2012 at 6:40 am

YUM. Red potatoes are one of my absolute favorite foods. I can’t wait to try this!

tammy brown November 9, 2012 at 8:21 am

OMG, this looks so good! I loved roasted anything and espcially potatoes! Thanks, can’t wait to make it for my family.

Ellie November 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Made this recipe last night and we inhaled it! OMG – ridiculously delicious. Can’t wait to make it again. Thanks so much for sharing!

Tina November 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Yay! So glad you liked it!! :)

Tina November 11, 2012 at 11:27 am

Tina! So glad you stopped doing the Paleo thing…I had nothing against it, but I LOVE reading about your food so much more again now. :)

Anyway – this looks awesome – we are making this tonight (mine will be WITH brussels sprouts, will have to come up with another vegetable for the husband). Will let you know how it turns out!

Tina :)

Dani November 11, 2012 at 9:07 pm

This flavor combo is insane. The kids snarfed this dinner down. Thank you!

Tina November 12, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Well…we made this last night. The husband didn’t really like it, only because he REALLY doesn’t like brussels sprouts (even though he claimed he was fine with them!). I thought it was good, not great…however, I just ate some leftovers for lunch and they were AWESOME! So I’m wondering if maybe I needed to add more salt or something, because once the flavors blended for a long time, the tast was really fantastic. This would be great for me to make on a Sunday and then have for lunches for the next few days!

Tina November 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I agree, the leftovers were really awesome. I think a little salt might help with the flavors! :)

Erin December 30, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Great recipe! We tried it this evening and both my “meatatarian boyfriend” and myself loved it! 😀 Thanks for making dinner so much easier!

Tina December 30, 2012 at 9:29 pm

So glad you guys liked it! :)

Erin January 7, 2013 at 1:21 am

@Tina: 😀 I will be making it again soon!

Jillian January 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Just made this and it was fantastic! A complete meal these sorts of salads don’t normally appeal to me for dinner, but it was totally delicious! My boyfriend loved it too. Thanks Tina!

Jenna January 10, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Any idea of the calorie content in this dish?

Tina January 10, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I don’t. Sorry!

sarah s February 3, 2013 at 10:48 pm

i pinned your loaded baked potato chicken salad! it caught my eye when you made it but i forgot about it until now! thanks for reminding me by motivating me to find and pin it!