• If Murphy Could Talk…

November 20, 2012

If Murphy could talk, he’d sound like Luke from Modern Family.

Mal and I used to think Murphy talked like Manny from Modern Family, all mature and distinguished, but after seeing a recent episode of Modern Family, we now think Murphy talks (and acts) more like Luke.

x
    [image source]

Meaning, Murphy plays dumb most of the time, but he’s actually really smart and sort of conniving. Let’s just say, he’ll do anything for food!

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was a French Toast Breakfast Scramble with a scoop of Teddie in the mix. Love.this.breakfast.

013

I also drank a glass of iced Dandy Blend with a little bit of sugar cookie-flavored coffee creamer mixed with almond milk. A little flavored creamer goes a long way! Holy sweetness! I needed to water it down with almond milk and more Dandy Blend.

014

I also drank some VSL#3 with breakfast.

015

Weekly Workouts

• Sunday: Off
    • Monday: 4 miles
    • Tuesday: CrossFit
    • Wednesday: CrossFit or yoga
    • Thursday: 5-mile Turkey Day race
    • Friday: CrossFit flag football
    • Saturday: Off

Health News & Views

It’s that time of year again when Starbucks breaks out their festive red cups to hold their fancy (and fun) holiday beverages, which taste decadent and can totally wreck your diet if you’re not careful. Sure, a grande Cappuccino with nonfat milk has 80 calories, but that’s no fun. Here are four seasonal drinks, all grande (medium) size,  which won’t destroy your healthy habits.

Lower-Calorie Coffee Shop Holiday Drinks

If your pet could talk, what/who would they sound like?

Nicole November 20, 2012 at 8:07 am

So funny! Luke is a favorite. My pup Kostas also has the trait of acting a bit spacey but actually being rather smart and stealthy!

Sara P (www.fitcupcaker.blogspot.com November 20, 2012 at 8:15 am

Thanks for the link on the lower calorie holiday drinks!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh November 20, 2012 at 8:17 am

Oh man, I’m gonna admit this. Our dog didn’t sound like anyone but I was her “voice” and let’s just say she was rather saucy at times. You know how your dog has a look on their face that is worth 1000 words and they’re not always nice ones? :-)

Beks November 20, 2012 at 8:29 am

I’m convinced my cat is British, so I’ve decided her inner voice sounds like Kate Winslet in “The Holiday.”

Tina November 20, 2012 at 8:35 am

Haha!

Nicole@ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com November 20, 2012 at 8:38 am

I always say my dog would talk like Eeyore from winnie the pooh…my boyfriend doesn’t agree…but when I mimic what I think he would say in certain situations I always do the Eeyore voice.

Mo November 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

@Nicole@ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com: HA HA! We used to say the same about our dog, but now she would sound more like Doug the dog from Up!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 20, 2012 at 8:39 am

Haha that’s great! We always say our dog would have some sort of crazy accent – probably German!

Rachel@Running Daze November 20, 2012 at 8:47 am

Since we named our dog Fozzie, we love to think he sounds like him too. Wocka Wocka Wocka! :)

Tina November 20, 2012 at 8:51 am

Haha! That’s awesome!

NYC Fit GIrl November 20, 2012 at 8:50 am

haha I think my dog would be a lover.. He is so affectionate I think he would just keep saying he loves us!

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 8:57 am

Crossfire Flag Football… I’m intrigued!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } November 20, 2012 at 8:59 am

When I talk to my cat (as I often do) I always project his responses as being very angry and profane. Like, if I ask him ‘are you hungry’ – his typical response is “duh, (w)itch.”

Chase November 20, 2012 at 9:03 am

I have a voice that I use when I talk for Callie. It’s sort of Elmo-like :)

Whitney @ Yoga Pancake November 20, 2012 at 9:08 am

This really made my laugh because my sister and I think about this all the time! So glad we’re not the only ones :) I think Clementine (cat) would sound like a wise Bob Marely and Laverne (dog) would sound like Phoebe from Friends.

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige November 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

Bahaha! Luke totally has a cute dog voice. Shane and I always talk about what Niko’s voice would sound like :-P I imagine someone who is easily distracted by shiny objects, haaha.

Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete November 20, 2012 at 9:43 am

My cat is probably about 14 years old and I’m convinced she’s deaf and borderline senile, but I still picture her talking in a young girl’s voice screeching, “LOVE MEEEEEEE.” She’s quite needy.

RunEatRepeat November 20, 2012 at 9:46 am

I always make up things that Vegas told me when Ben is gone. I’m like, “Hey, Vegas and I talked and we vetoed your plan to do…”

Julia November 20, 2012 at 10:19 am

Haha! Apparently, the actor who plays Luke is sort of a genius. He graduated HS at 13. It makes me love that character even more, really.

Tina November 20, 2012 at 10:19 am

I just read that when I was looking for an image of him to use in my post. So cool!

Sara P (www.fitcupcaker.blogspot.com November 20, 2012 at 10:19 am

Hey Tina, I just have a questions and I hope you can help me. I just started my blog on blogspot and Im wanting to switch to wordpress. Is there an easy way to transition or do you have to start over? I know your busy but if you have any insight for me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Tina November 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

There’s actually a transfer option in WP, so you can just move over your Blogger blog once you set up your new WP blog. It’s actually pretty easy from what I remember!

sara @www.fitcupcaker.blogspot.com November 20, 2012 at 11:34 am

@Tina: thanks so much!

SaraP www.fitcupcaker.blogspot.com November 20, 2012 at 5:48 pm

@Tina:
    Do you know if I have to start a whole new wordpress blog with a new name or do I use the same name as my blog now on blogger? Sorry it just looks a little confusing. I didnt want to mess it up where I couldnt change the .com or something silly! Thanks for your help!

Tina November 20, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Yep, you need to start a new blog in WP and then transferring it over is an option.

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles November 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

Solo, the hound, would sound like Gutter from PCU. And Annabelle would be more intellectual, snarky, sarcastic even. Anyone remember Ainsley from West Wing? That is Annabelle.

The Kidless Kronicles

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 20, 2012 at 10:59 am

Haha I LOVE modern family! and Luke is much smarter than he appears.

michelle kim November 20, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hahaha! So cuuuuute!
    I can’t think of who my dog would sound like… but probably a hyper kid or a cartoon character.

Rachel November 20, 2012 at 11:03 am

hahaha I always like to think my cat talks like a valley girl lol I do impressions of her all the time

Heather November 20, 2012 at 11:03 am

I have a Crossfit question~ Just starting and it is alot of fun something totally different than I have ever done. I am quite sore today~ question:) did you feel like on the days that you were sore that you were retaining water? I have went 2 days in a row know and I feel like I am retaining water and the scale showed it too. Any thoughts??

Thank you!

Tina November 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

Hmmm… I haven’t noticed (and I don’t weight myself). Sorry I’m not more help!

Jean November 20, 2012 at 11:12 am

An episode where Luke is smart?! I can’t wait to watch it!

Shannon November 20, 2012 at 11:19 am

Thanks for the list of lower cal drinks to order from Starbucks! I love the holiday drinks, but I knew how many calories they have, so I tried to steer away from them. The creme brulee Americano sounds delicious!

Nikki November 20, 2012 at 11:58 am

I’m so happy to hear that other people talk about what their pets talk like!

My doggy-niece is (shitzo-poodle) talk like Nicki Minaj

And my Mastiff sounds like Strom Thurmond

mindy November 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm

A friend of mine had 2 cats and like most pet humans, she had their voices all figured out, and what they’d sound like as people. Sadly one of them got sick and passed away fairly quickly, and her (and her other cat) were completely grief stricken. In her desperation to deal with her sorrow, she contacted a pet psychic/communicator over the phone, to see if she could connect with her recently deceased fluffy friend. I know that sounds nutty – but what we do in our grief defies logic sometimes.

Anyway – the voice that the woman used to ‘respond’ in her cat’s voice was – exactly what she had pictured. To a tee. She really felt like she was talking with her old friend, and the woman also connected with her living kitty – again – same exact voice, which was completely different than the first. Again – totally what she had pictured. Addiontally, what the communicator told her both cats would say (who had very different personalities) – was exactly – to a tee – what she would have thought they’d say. In their distinct voices, distinct dialect.

Maybe it was random, maybe it was her imagination, but it made her feel a lot better, gave her closure, and she wound up adopting another cat, which was what the communicator told her both cats wanted. 1 year has passed and she couldn’t be happier, and while she admits it was a bit of a wacky time in her life, she swears that the voice was EXACTLY the same – for both cats.

Something interesting for us pet lovers!

Caryln @ carylnrambles November 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm

hahah this is hilarious. I come from a family who has alwayyyysss talked for our pets. my dog sullivan actually has a boston accent (no idea why….i live in NC) and curses a lot. hah

Becky @ Olives n Wine November 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

HAHAHAHAH – I love that you assigned Murphy a persona from Modern Family. It is my favorite show! I’m not sure who my dog would sound like, I’ll have to think on it. And thanks for posting the lower cal Starbucks drinks. Any way to make the holidays a little healthier is much appreciated!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 20, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Hahaha Murphy! I love Modern Family. My pup has such a quirky personality I’d have to think of who she would be.

Carli November 20, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Hmmmm! I like your choice for Murphy. Jeffrey is a boy but doesn’t really act like one. But he doesn’t necessarily act like a girl. He demands you do things his way and when he wants. He’d sound like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.

Thanks for my evening discussion with the hubs!

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Your blog has completely fostered my obsession with pugs. My roommate frequently posts photos of pugs on my Facebook because she knows how much I love them, haha. I blame Murphy!