• Fun-Filled Friday (9 Years Together)

November 24, 2012

Nine years ago yesterday, Mal and I had our second first date. (We dated in high school, but broke up when I went off to college.) The Wednesday before Thanksgiving 2003, Mal IM-ed me (G-chat wasn’t around yet) to see if I wanted to hang out when he was home from college for break. I already had plans to go bowling with some friends, so I invited him along. We ended up having the best time bowling and we’ve been together ever since!

57_511977450937_7557_n

We actually didn’t realize it was our 9-year anniversary until later in the day, but we both agreed it was a fabulous way to spend it because we did so many of our favorite things together.

After breakfast, we met some CrossFit friends for a friendly game of flag football.

002

I’m terrible at catching things, so running + catching things is a disaster, so I basically ran around like an idiot. It was still a lot of fun, and I learned some new things about football, like what a blitz is all about.

004

Lunch

We ended up playing flag football for almost 2 hours, so I was starving by the time we got home. Thankfully, we had some leftover pot roast in the refrigerator, so I reheated it for lunch.

007

After lunch, I wanted something more to eat, so I finished off a jar of Nikki’s Coconut Butter.

009

Once Mal and I had a chance to eat lunch and shower, we cleaned the house and then broke out the Christmas decorations.

010

Out with the old…

011

In with the new! (Murphy wasn’t sure what to think about his holiday placemat.)

012

While we cleaned and put out decorations, we listened to Christmas music and drank apple cider, which are both allowed before December 1, according to Mal’s holiday rules.

013

Snack

A few hours later, Mal and I got ready to go into Boston to see Ray LaMontange. I ate a late lunch, so I wasn’t really hungry for dinner, but I knew I should eat something because I’d probably be hungry later, so I ate a sliced banana with peanut butter.

017

Around this time, Mal and I realized it was the anniversary of our second first date, so we decided to head into the city a little early to have a celebratory drink together.

019

We ended up at 6B.

020

Mal introduced me to dirty martinis on one of our first dates (he said he was trying to impress me), so I ordered one last night. I only ended up drinking about half of it (I’m still feeling things out with my stomach), but it was fun to reminisce about old times and some of our first dates.

022

Mal was hungry, so he ordered some fried calamari. I had a couple of bites.

023

Then, it was time to see Ray at the Orpheum!

025

Ray LaMontagne is one of our favorite musicians (we’ve seen him a number of times in concert), so Mal and I were psyched for his show.

026

As expected, Ray was amazing. His voice is incredible. He played a mix of his popular songs and songs that he especially liked, but never made it on one of his an albums.

028

The best part about the show, however, was the stories that Ray told during it. At past concerts, he didn’t say more than a dozen words—usually, just a couple of “thank yous” and maybe a “thank you for coming” at the end. This show though he talked quite a bit and actually went on a couple of mini rants. For instance, he told the crowd how he feels about the folks at Rolling Stone magazine. He called them “pricks” and “the shallowest music magazine on the rack.” (He mentioned the Olsen twins on the cover.) He also said they don’t “get” his music and made reference to his song “Meg White,” which he wrote not because there was something going on between him and Meg White (which is what someone from Rolling Stone asked him in an interview), but because he was watching “Seven Nation Army” (by The White Stripes) in a bar and it inspired him to write the song. He actually said a lot of his songs come of his imagination and not so much from personal experience.

He also told a pretty amusing story about John Mayer. (Ray and John have the same manager, so they’ve met a number of times over the years.) John told Ray his song “Trouble” wouldn’t be a hit because it didn’t repeat the chorus at the end. Ray explained he thought that format was too predictable, but John said it was “song writing 101.” The song ended up being a huge success, so John was totally wrong (and perhaps a bit douchey for offering his unsolicited advice). It seemed like Ray wasn’t a fan of John, but he said he didn’t “dislike” him, but he can only take him in “small doses.” Ha!

029

It was neat to see this side of Ray and learn a little more about him and his music. He’s definitely an interesting guy!

When we got home from the concert, I ate a handful of almonds and then headed straight to bed.

018

Fabulous 9th anniversary!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } November 24, 2012 at 10:04 am

Looks like you guys had a perfect day to celebrate an anniversary – congrats on being together for so long!

Sara @ fitcupcaker.com November 24, 2012 at 10:21 am

Looks like it was a great day. We did some Christmas decorating too! I love this time of year! My dogs got a new holiday toy basket!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats November 24, 2012 at 11:03 am

Sounds like a great night out to celebrate a special day!

Taylor @ LiftingRevolution November 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

Happy 9 yrs! We’re celebrating our 8 years soon! Hard to believe how quickly time passes. Looks like a great day! Our decorations are going up today too, heading out now for the tree! Have a great weekend Tina!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 24, 2012 at 11:45 am

Congrats on your 9th anniversary! And I all for Christmas music right now, I actually started listening a week ago! I figure if you enjoy it, then why not?!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul November 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm

awww happy 2nd anniversary guys! :D what a fun, chill day~And Ray sounds like such an honest guys, hah! VERY honest.

mel November 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm

My hubby and I freaking love Ray!! He has such an amazing voice. I wish radio stations would play his songs! Him and Amos Lee are hidden gems.

Mabelle @ Dance, Love, Dine November 24, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Sounds like a great 9 year anniversary celebration. Congrats to the both of you :) Cheers to many more years!

Amy@macncheesenpeas November 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I love Ray LaMontange! so jealous you got to see him in concert!

Jean November 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I’m so jealous you got to see ray, he’s one of my favorites! I doubt he’ll be coming to Alaska any time soon though…

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Love Ray LaMontagne! That’s great that he actually talked during the concert–it makes shows SO much better when you actually can get a sense for the musician’s personality!

Lauren November 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I’m headed to the second show tonight! I can’t wait!

Tina November 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Enjoy! :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) November 24, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Happy belated anniversary! Such a cute story, clearly you were meant to be!

Rachel McIntyre November 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Happy anniversary! My husband and I love Ray. I went to see him years ago. I’d love to go again. Very jealous!

Kristen @ Change of Pace November 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Happy anniversary! You guys are so cute :)

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.blogspot November 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Happy anniversary for yesterday! I love ‘Trouble’.

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit November 24, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Happy Anniversary! Anniversary traditions are so fun! And Ray LaMontagne is amazing :)

Pam November 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Happy 9 year anniversary, how wonderful!!
    I love Ray LaMontange, never seen him in concert, but I really want to now! Glad you had a wonderful day together :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm

What a great way to celebrate! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Congrats on 9 years! Ya’ll are too cute together!

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans November 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Happy anniversary! My 6 year anniversary was yesterday too! And the concert sounds awesome, I love Ray LaMontagne!

Kim November 24, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Happy 9 years together! Sounds like a great day!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 24, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Happy anniversary!

That story about Ray LaMontagne and John Mayer is so funny – I like them both, so it’s interesting to hear what Ray thinks of John!

Ed November 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Congrats on 9 years…getting that far isn’t easy!

Emily November 24, 2012 at 7:24 pm

LOVE Ray LaMontagne! John Mayer moved to my old college town in MT and pops up every once in awhile at the bar scene. I’ve heard some good stories. :) Congrats on 9/2 years!

luv what you do November 24, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Just went to check out those prom pics. They are awesome! I am still best friends with my hs boyfriend and was looking through old photo albums at my P’s this weekend. I found the funniest pictures and it was a fun walk down memory lane. I was actually looking for some old Xcountry picutres and I found those too from 6th grade. too funny! Can’t wiat to post them!

Margo November 24, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Happy anniversary! Sounds such a fun one! That’s an interesting story about R LaMontagne and John Mayer. I’m a big John Mayer fan, and he’s certainly been known for saying some douchey things but I wouldn’t say offering advice is one of them. I think it just proves that sometimes success comes when you breakaway from the rules.

Jennifer (The Gourmetour) November 24, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I LOVE Ray! Did you know he’s from NH? Nashua I think!

Tina November 25, 2012 at 8:35 am

Yep! So cool! :)

candice@allthingsyogi.com November 24, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I love the peanut butter/banana in a cup. I do the same with almond butter and walnut butter! very satisfying.

Congrats on 9 years!

Ella November 25, 2012 at 12:54 am

So Mal allowed you to break his “no decorations before December 1″ rule? What a nice guy! Surely it was his 9-year anniversary gift to you :)

Alain November 25, 2012 at 2:44 am

To you two congratulation for your 9 years and remain together it and obvious, for me 8 years

Eating 4 Balance November 25, 2012 at 8:51 am

Congratulations! Looks like you had an awesome day!

Maddie @ Better Food and Fitness November 25, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I actually went on our first date the day before Thanksgiving in 2002! We still celebrate that day even though the date changes every year…we think it’s more fun that way! :) Congrats to your nine years!

Tina November 25, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Congrats on your 10 year! :)

Tricia November 25, 2012 at 3:03 pm

i’m going tomorrow night at Carnegie Hall in NY; our wedding song was you are the best thing, i love ray!

Deidre Skrudland November 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Congratulations on 9 years!!! That’s so amazing. And I love Ray LaMontagne! Sounds like you had a lovely anniversary!

Tina November 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Thank you! :)

meghan @ struggle muffins November 25, 2012 at 7:42 pm

What a fabulous way to celebrate – Ray LaMontagne is so soulful, so amazing. I hope for your sake that he played Jolene :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 25, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Congrats on 9 years! You two fit so well together. :)

honeywhatscooking November 26, 2012 at 12:50 am

COngrats Mal and Tina. This post made me smile.. definitely true love when you go back to your high school sweetheart. Very sweet story. Congratulations and many more to come. That fried calamari looks soooooooo good!

Saw you were in Mohegan Sun from Bianca’s post.. can’t wait to read all about it.

Mary November 26, 2012 at 10:05 am

i love ray! i saw him in maine a couple summers ago and want to see him again. he has such an amazing voice.

Rachel@Running Daze November 26, 2012 at 11:53 am

Happy Anniversary! Looks like the concert was a lot fun!

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit November 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Congrats on 9 years!! That’s so wonderful :). Haha, I love the pic of little perplexed Murphy and your description of your mad flag football skills. If I played flag football I’d also mostly “run around like an idiot.” lol. It makes me think of that Friends episode where Pheobe runs around Central Park like a complete goober. That’d be me. ;)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] November 26, 2012 at 1:31 pm

happy anniversary! and I’m so jealous you got to see Ray LaMontange!

elizabeth @ chronic venture November 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

what a cute anniversary celebration! I went to see Ray here in DC a few weeks ago too. It was a fun concert–my first time hearing him live!

Meghan@themeghamix November 27, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Congrats to you guys! You have such a cute story.

Jackie November 29, 2012 at 10:13 am

Hi Tina,

Happy anniversary!! I absolutely love Murphy’s personalized dog food mat… can you please let me know where you bought it? it’d be a great chrstmas gift for my dog Barclay :)

Thank you!

Tina November 29, 2012 at 10:26 am

It’s from Frontgate.com! :)