• Chip, Chip Hooray

November 21, 2012

Hi, friends! Happy Wednesday! Are you ready for Turkey Day tomorrow? I can’t believe it’s already here and the holiday season is upon us. It’s my favorite time of year, so I’m not complaining, but, wow, it came fast!

Workout

I was actually looking forward to last night’s CrossFit class. Ok, I look forward to all of them, but this one especially because it had Power Cleans in it. Cleans aren’t my favorite lift, but I feel like I always end up missing the classes when we do them. We might do some lighter Cleans in a WOD, but I always seem to miss the heavy stuff. The last record of heavy Cleans that I had in my CrossFit notebook was from May, so I was excited to see if my strength had improved at all.

WOD/STRENGTH

1) EMOM 8: 2 Power Cleans. Start at 50% of 1RM and go up by 5% each round. (50%, 55%, 60%…)

2) Bench Press: 6 x 4. Add weight each set.

3) Farmers Walks: 4 x 50m

For the first part of the WOD, we did 2 Power Cleans for every minute on the minute (EMOM) for 8 minutes, starting with half of our 1RM and working our way up by 5% each round. (Basically, we had 60 seconds to do 2 reps and then load the next weight on our bar before doing it all over again.) My 1RM was 85 pounds, so I started with 45 pounds and added 10 pounds each round. I managed to work my way up to 115 pounds—and I felt like I could have kept going! Woo! Thirty-pound PR!

For the second part of the workout, we did 6 sets of 4 reps of Bench Press. I was the only girl in class, so Mal and another guy offered to work with me. Even though Mal and I go to CrossFit together, we rarely talk to each other during class. We’re both there to exercise and we work with people of similar abilities on strength training, so we don’t spend a lot of time together at CrossFit. It was fun to work together last night, and I managed 85 pounds for 4 reps on my 5th set and 95 pounds for 2 reps on my 6th set, which I also think was a PR! Hooray!

The final part of the WOD was four 50-meter farmers walks. I used two 53-pound kettlebells and wore a 20-pound vest. Roar.

Dinner

I was starving when I got home from CrossFit, so, thankfully, we had a fridge full for leftovers to feed me. Usually, I shower before eating dinner, but not last night. I immediately reheated some chicken, peas, and rice in the microwave and chopped up some veggies for a salad. I don’t know if it’s coming off the steroids or what, but I’ve been really hungry lately.

020

I dressed my salad with balsamic vinegar.

015

And added some avocado to my chicken, rice, and peas.

017

Once I finished eating, I took a shower and then made some spiced cider to drink while I watched The League and The Walking Dead with Mal… and Murphy, obviously. He’s an extremely dedicated lap dog.

029

I felt munchy after dinner, so I snacked on some chocolate-flavored Food Should Taste Good tortilla chips that the folks from Larabar sent me as part of a holiday survival package. And, oh my goodness, they are delicious—a fabulous mix of sweet and salty and totally addictive. I ate a bunch during the day too, so I don’t give the bag more than 24 hours to live.

Chocolate_Food_Should_Taste_Good_Chips

What are your favorite kind of chips?

I really love the chocolate tortilla chips from Food Should Taste Good, but my favorite chips are straight up, traditional nacho cheese Doritos. There’s something about that fake orange cheese!

P.S. Be sure to enter my giveaway to win $100!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 21, 2012 at 8:46 am

Those looks good – i haven’t seen them before! I’d have to say my favorite is kettle chips – I just love the extra crunch!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh November 21, 2012 at 8:49 am

Cute slippers!

Hmm, I’m not a chip person but when I’m in the mood for them, a good old fashioned HOT BBQ chip will do!

Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete November 21, 2012 at 8:57 am

I agree – there’s just something about Doritos’ fake orange cheese dying your fingers that does something for me haha My favorite is the Cool Ranch flavor. I’m lucky I don’t get it often, I’d devour the bag pretty quickly.

Monica November 21, 2012 at 8:58 am

How are those chocolate chips?

Melanie @ beautifullynutty November 21, 2012 at 8:58 am

I would have to go with Doritos Nacho Cheese as well or else BBQ Kettle style potato chips! I can’t remember the last time I had either of them though! Happy thanksgiving to you Tina!

Tina November 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

I love kettle BBQ chips too! Def a close second!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

I’ve never had Chocolate flavored chips but I love their sweet potato chips, so I’m sure those are good too! And I need some hot apple cider now…

Tina November 21, 2012 at 9:03 am

Me too! The sweet potato ones are so good!

Lindsey November 21, 2012 at 9:02 am

Love the multigrain Food Should Taste Good chips!

kalli November 21, 2012 at 9:03 am

i love sun chips! i can easily eat a whole bag so i must not buy them! btw LOVE the walking dead!

Kelsey Reidl November 21, 2012 at 9:03 am

I’ve only ever tried the “Olive” flavour of these chips, and oh my – they are SO addictive! It’s hard to stop yourself from eating the entire bag… oops !

Blog is the New black November 21, 2012 at 9:06 am

Those chips sound amazing!

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 21, 2012 at 9:06 am

I got that package from Food Should Taste Good and I looooove it. I’m a huge fan of the sweet potato chips for sure, the chocolate ones taste great dipped in peanut butter!

Tina November 21, 2012 at 1:20 pm

@Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer: YUM! I bet I would love that combo! :)

Elisabeth November 21, 2012 at 9:08 am

My favorite chips are a local brand called Ballreich’s, nacho cheese Dorito’s or Kettle brand Salt & Vinegar :)

Nicole@ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com November 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

I found these new tortilla chips at the store the other day that were covered in cinnamon and sugar….they were sooooo good. I finally had to throw them in the trash because I couldn’t stop eating them. They would be really good with a sweet cream cheese type dip.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio November 21, 2012 at 9:47 am

Great job on your power cleans and bench press! I love tostitos lime chips!

Rachel@Running Daze November 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

I love popchips! I’ve been going through bags of those each week. I need to try those chocolate flavored chips soon.

Nicole November 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

Boring, but I like the Snyders sourdough pretzels.

Kristen@Change of Pace November 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

I haven’t seen those chips and I almost wish I hadn’t seen them on here. Those chips wouldn’t survive 24 hours in my house! Awesome workout Tina!

Kelly November 21, 2012 at 10:06 am

Have you ever tried the Glutino pretzels? Holly addiction batman…they are so good. As for chips I am going to say my favorites are a toss up between Cheetos and Nacho Cheese Doritos. Notice a pattern? I love those two the best in all their processed, food dye, preservative glory. ha!

Sara P (www.fitcupcaker.blogsspot.com November 21, 2012 at 10:08 am

I like the taste so good- sweet potato chips! They have so much flavor!

Margaret November 21, 2012 at 10:10 am

Oh man, classic Doritos are my absolute favorite too. I cannot even keep them in the house. I live it up at parties and get my fill there :) But those chocolate chips look prettttty tasty too!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 21, 2012 at 10:33 am

Chocolate-flavored chips sound delicious! I’m not a chip person, but I do like multigrain ones. Those are a little healthier, right? ;)

Dee November 21, 2012 at 10:37 am

Tought one. Tostitos lime chips, old school Doritos or Kettle brand salt and cracked pepper flavor. I can crush any one of those if given a bag….

Leila November 21, 2012 at 10:47 am

Good job on the PRs!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles November 21, 2012 at 10:59 am

BBQ Fritos. They are my post-race reward when I can find them.

The Kidless Kronicles

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction November 21, 2012 at 11:18 am

Never heard of Chocolate Tortilla chips, they sound interesting! I love Stacey’s Pita Chips!

Allie November 21, 2012 at 11:25 am

nacho cheese doritos, oh lorddddd you are my other half! I can easily demolish a family sized bag of the nacho cheese and cool ranch. I don’t even care, so addicting!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run November 21, 2012 at 11:27 am

We did a similar EMOM WOD yesterday: “Death by Clean & Jerk.” #liftheavy :)

janetha November 21, 2012 at 11:37 am

Funny, I did EMOM cleans yesterday, too! It was 10 rounds at 75% 1RM. I LOVE cleaning!

I received those chips in the mail, too, but haven’t broken into them yet. Gotta wait for my no sugar added challenge to be over–so I likely will be eating those bad boys tomorrow!

Kelly@BalancedDaily November 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

Those look awesome, I love sweet and salty things (chocolate covered pretzels?). But my all time favorite chips have to be Stacey’s Pita Chips, pretty much all of them are amazing but the Garden Veggie for savory and of course the Cinnamon Sugar for sweet.

Beth @ The OC Fit Girl November 21, 2012 at 11:52 am

My favorite chips are definitely Sea Salt and Pepper Kettle Chips!!!! OMGGGG they are so good.

Danica @ It's Progression November 21, 2012 at 11:57 am

I LOVE the organic blue corn tortilla chips from Trader Joe’s–they’re amazing with fresh salsa.

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness November 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I love the sweet potato food should taste good chips but have yet to try the chocolate. They sound amazing!

RunEatRepeat November 21, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I love tortilla chips, but not potato chips.

My favorite kind of chips are chocolate chips though…

Candice@allthingsyogi.com November 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I love this time of the year; cinnamon, vanilla, reds, greens, candles, snowflakes, family, warmth.

I am not a big chip person, but loving sweet potatoe wedges!

Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach November 21, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Damn girl! You are killing it at Crossfit!!

I don’t typically eat chips often, but I recently ordered chia chips from nuts.com and they were SOOOO good. I’m scared to order more because I go through them so quickly.

Chocolate chips sound ridiculously delicious!

Mindy November 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I love WOD’s with power cleans! Cleans are my favorite. The chocolate tortilla chips wouldn’t stand a chance with me… I’d prob dip them in almond butter too!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail November 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm

My hubby and I finally did CrossFit together today and were partners since we don’t get to as much! :) I LOVE oly lifts too! I’ve been eating those chips in the multi-grain form (cheaper at CostCo!)

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I’m a big fan of Stacy’s pita chips. Those Costco-sized bags are DANGEROUS. But I also agree about Doritos–that fake cheese is just so weirdly good! Dangit.

Lauren @SizzleEats November 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm

The salad looks delish!!

I need to get back to the gym to hit the weights again. I’ve been on a running binge so I haven’t had the chance to get in there.

Jenna November 21, 2012 at 3:47 pm

just did a wod you’d appreciate:

100 burpees
    1 mile run
    80 squats
    800m run
    60 pull ups or ring rows
    600m run
    40 hollow body sit ups
    400m run
    20 handstand pushups
    200m run

phew!

kyla November 21, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I love Food Should Taste Good chips! My absolute favorite chips though are the Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos. My boyfriend and I can put away a bag in two days, which is why we never ever buy them.

corrie anne November 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm

We love Red Hot Blues!!! But I just tried the Food Should Taste Good brand the other day and loved that too. I love working out with my husband — he’s slightly less enthusiastic. Haha.

Amelia November 21, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream will always hold a special place in my heart, though I only buy them once every 10 years or so. Mmm!

Pam November 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Buffalo flavored Pretzel Crisps are my favorite.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 21, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I can’t even remember the last time I had Nacho Cheese doritos…have you ever tried the Dill Pickle ones? Those are incredible. :-p

Tina November 22, 2012 at 6:09 am

Pickle?! I’ll have to try those!

jodie November 25, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I love Stacys pita chips, the plain ones.