• Annie, Are You Ok?

November 20, 2012

I’ve partnered with Harvard Pilgrim on this sponsored post, but the thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. You can find more ways to be well at HarvardPilgrim.org/CountUsIn.

For the final part of the “Well-Together Challenge,” Sarah and I took a CrossFit class together, so I could share my love for the “sport of fitness” with her. Sarah had taken intro sessions, but never a real CrossFit class, so I was excited to see what she thought. The WOD ended up being one of “The Girls,” so it was a great class for her to attend!

Warm-up

The class started with a warm-up of 10-second Hollow Holds (Hollow Rocks minus the rocking), Supermans, and Planks mixed with a couple of 500 meter rows. We were good and warm after that warm-up!

Skill

For the next part of class, we worked on handstand progressions. When it comes to handstands against a wall, I’m a pro. I can hang out there all day long. But, when it comes to real (unsupported) handstands, I’m a joke.

I get nervous and can’t find the courage to kick-up my legs. It’s like my mind prevents my body from doing what I want it to do. Thankfully, I had kind, understanding, and patient friends in class, so they helped me through it.

Success! And when they let go of my legs, I stayed there for approximately 2 seconds. Haha! Handstands are definitely a GOAT for me!

I wish I had snapped a pic of Sarah doing handstands because she was awesome at them. She wasn’t scared at all and could even walk on her hands for awhile!

WOD

After some handstand fun, it was time for the WOD, which was “Annie.”

“Annie”

50-40-30-20-10

Double Unders

Abmat Sit-ups

For this WOD, you start with 50 Double Unders and then immediately do 50 Sit-ups. Then, the reps drop down to 40, so you do 40 Double Unders and 40 Sit-ups. The reps continue to drop to 30, 20, and 10 for the Double Unders and Sit-ups.

Sarah in action!

I finished Annie in 6:41, which is almost 4 minutes faster than my previous Annie time, and I did Double Unders this time, so it was a HUGE improvement for me!

CrossFit was our last activity for the “Well-Together Challenge.” Being paired up with a friend made it that much easier (and FUN) to try new things. In case you missed our previous adventures, here they are:

How often do you try new fitness activities/workouts? What was the last new thing you tried? Can you do a handstand?

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 20, 2012 at 7:42 am

Handstands are no joke! About three years ago, I practiced yoga daily, so I could hold a handstand then, but sadly, I don’t think I’ll be able to strike that pose again anytime soon. ;)

Anne November 20, 2012 at 7:43 am

I think this is just the coolest challenge!
    I am the WORST about not trying out new workouts which is a shame, they are such a great way to test your fitness, meet new people and expand your horizons!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh November 20, 2012 at 7:49 am

I’m giggling just entertaining the idea of a hand stand. I think I’d probably collapse my arms and crush myself!

We’re in an exercise rut so I know we need to throw something new in the mix. I do like to try new exercises every couple months to challenge us.

Michelle (Peachy Palate) November 20, 2012 at 8:10 am

I haven’t tried a handstand in so long…my mums “party trick” was always a headstand back in the day! :) I love trying new workouts and try to incorporate something new every week, I’m yet to try crossfit though, hard to find boxes in Ireland and it’s pretty expensive.

Sara P (www.fitcupcaker.blogspot.com November 20, 2012 at 8:14 am

I havent done a hand stand in forever. I dont know what would happen if i tried! Looks like you guys had fun!

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness November 20, 2012 at 8:23 am

I love this challenge! I definitely stick to my crossfit workouts and that is pretty much it! I need to expand my horizons. Real handstands are definitely a goat for me too! I just get so afraid. On the wall they’re no problem but something about the thought of flipping over just freaks me out!

Genelle November 20, 2012 at 8:27 am

aw handstands! I used to love doing those but haven’t in a few years. I just might go try some later today. :) What inspired you to do a Well-Together Challenge? I love the idea!

Nicole@ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com November 20, 2012 at 8:43 am

Haha….I can just picture myself right now trying to do a handstand and falling on my face! I am going to make one of my goals for 2013 to try crossfit and see how I like it…it looks like SO MUCH FUN!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 20, 2012 at 8:49 am

I do like to try new workouts! The last new thing I tried was a body pump type of class!

Btw now Annie, are you okay has been repeatedly playing in my head since I saw that title. It’ll probably be stuck there all day – hah!

Tina November 20, 2012 at 8:51 am

Ha! Oops! :)

Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution November 20, 2012 at 8:55 am

Ahh! I’ve been waiting for this post! I’ve followed Sarah’s blog since she was on Tumblr and Diet.com. I knew she would rock Crossfit, she’s so strong!

NYC Fit GIrl November 20, 2012 at 9:00 am

Looks like you had a great time! I love Sarah’s blog! I love handstands; handstand push ups not so much~

Anon November 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

OMG we just did Annie at my box on Wednesday! I did single unders x2. My abs were sore for like 3 days after, which almost never happens!

TiffanyS November 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

Ugh, my goat is box jumps. I seriously have a mental block that prevents me from jumping. I do better with a step and risers, but even then it is hard. You get over 5-6 risers and a literally have a mental breakdown. So embarrasing! I haven’t even attempted handstands. That might be awhile.

Allison November 20, 2012 at 9:57 am

Back in my “gymnastics years” I won competitions for the longest handstand hold along with doing circles while in a handstand. Now that I’m older holding a handstand is definitely a challenge!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 20, 2012 at 10:57 am

Haha I definitely CANNOT do a handstand, of any sort! Granted I’ve never worked at it.. but still.

Penelope November 20, 2012 at 11:01 am

I’m like you; I can hold a handstand against a wall all day long but am WAY too chicken to do them in the middle of the room! One funny thing: my almost two-year-old daughter insists on trying handstands if she sees me do one and it is the cutest thing EVER to see her with her little head on the floor near her feet, saying, “Headstand, Mommy?” to get me to hold her legs up (very carefully, of course). (She calls them “headstands”. I don’t know why.)

Stephanie @ Steph's Miles November 20, 2012 at 11:05 am

I can’t do a handstand for the life of me! I ca myself chicken because I have a fear of falling beckwards. There are just so many excuses I have for this one!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio November 20, 2012 at 11:53 am

I love that Sarah joined you at Crossfit! Great job on knocking 4 mins off your previous time. I hope you wrote it down in your Crossfit log book :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I’m really bad at getting out of my comfort zone and trying new workouts – that’s something I really need to work on. I can’t even remember the last new workout I tried!

anne November 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

…and now I have that song stuck in my head! good job with the handstands, it is definitely scary “kicking” up into one :-/

Amanda Jewell November 20, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Tina, I think you’d appreciate this: Yesterday, we did Bosu Box Jumps. Yes, you read that right. A bosu ball on top of a box. They were initially terrifying, but once you committed to the jump and got the hang of it, so awesome and fun! And, now my butt is SORE.

Tina November 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Whoa! How tall was the box?

Amanda Jewell November 21, 2012 at 5:13 am

@Tina: 20″ !!!!

luv what you do November 20, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I can do a handstand. it’s funny because I impress the kids at work with them all the time….they think I’m way cooler than I am : )