• 24 Days of Togetherness

November 28, 2012

Good morning! I have a fun holiday project to share with you guys. I was inspired to make it after almost buying a neat advent calendar from Starbucks a couple of weeks ago. Each day of the calendar was filled with chocolate or another fun surprise, so it was a lot more festive than the cheap-y ones I usually buy from Walgreens or CVS, but it came at a price. The Starbucks advent calendar cost $29.95, which was a lot more than I wanted to pay, so I didn’t buy it. I was a little bummed, but I started to think about how I could make my own super-awesome advent calendar and what I would want to include inside it.

My thoughts led me to chocolate, of course, but then to all of the holiday activities I wanted to do before Christmas, and soon the idea for “24 Days of Togetherness” came to life. It’s basically a holiday bucket list that Mal and I will do together. We both really love this time of year, so I created something we could do together as a ways to celebrate the season and our relationship. It’s a little cheesy, but the holiday seasons always flies by, so I wanted to find a way to really enjoy it together.

056-001

If you’re interested in participating in “24 Day of Togetherness” with your significant other, kids or another family member or friend, here’s what you need:

• Colorful paper
    • Scissors
    • Pen or marker
    • A tin, box, basket, bag, etc.

047

Simply cut your paper into 24 pieces and then write one thing you want to do together during the holiday season. I know how busy we get during this time of year, so some of ours are as simple as “drink hot cocoa” together. We’re planning to pick one piece of paper every day from December 1 – 24, so I picked activities that were do-able on pretty much any day of the week.

050-001

Then, fold up each activity, put them in a container, and then give the special person/people in your life “24 Days of Togetherness.” The fun begins on Saturday!

055

If you need some ideas for what to include, here’s what I have planned for Mal and me:

• Drink hot cocoa
    • Write Haikus about one other
    • Buy a Christmas tree ornament
    • Watch a Christmas movie
    • Give each other foot massages
    • Take a drive and look at Christmas lights
    • Make a Top 10 list about our relationship
    • Go out for a cocktail
    • Take a self-portrait
    • Bake Christmas cookies
    • Sing and dance to Christmas songs
    • Share 3 things you love about the other person
    • Drink eggnog
    • Buy each other a small gift
    • Go for a nature walk
    • Have a fire
    • Wear red and green to CrossFit
    • Play Pitch
    • Wrap presents and drink wine
    • Enjoy delicious holiday beverages from Starbucks
    • Listen to “A Christmas Together” (John Denver & The Muppets)
    • Buy a Christmas present for Murphy
    • Take a family photo
    • Share your favorite Christmas memory

I came up with the 24 activities, so Mal has no idea what’s on the agenda for the days leading up to Christmas. It’s going to be fun to see his reaction for each one!

holidaybucketlist

What’s on your holiday bucket list?

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 28, 2012 at 11:31 am

I absolutely LOVE the idea of this!

Meghan@themeghamix November 28, 2012 at 11:33 am

Totally printed out your list of ideas and gonna tackle this project tonight! I have to be creative since I love Christmas but my husband finds it kinda stressful. I wanna put things on the list that he’ll like (try a holiday-themed beer) and maybe as the years go on he’ll look forward to the season more!

Kristen@Change of Pace November 28, 2012 at 11:33 am

What a great idea! So pinteresty;)

Krystina November 28, 2012 at 11:40 am

This is so darn cute! I am definitely going to do this for my fiance and I! Thanks for the great idea!

Brooke @ BeingVivacious November 28, 2012 at 11:52 am

I am doing this! this is a fantastic idea. thanks!

Anne November 28, 2012 at 11:58 am

I just texted this to my entire family! Even though well be apart until Xmas eve we can still celebrate together!!!

Thanks Tina!

kim November 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Love this! My daughter, who is 4, will think this is the best thing ever!
    Thanks!

Shannon November 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Oh my stars! I am so going to do this! Great idea… thank you so much for sharing!

Kristen @ Happy Running Mama November 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Love this idea!! I’m going to do this today and will probably have to steal a bunch of your ideas. I was planning on doing something similar where we do things for other people (rake the neighbor’s leaves, take food to homeless guys in the park, bake cookies for a retirement home, etc.) but now I may have to combine them all so that we do a combination every day. Thanks!!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail November 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm

This is totally up my alley! I just posted a HOLIDAY LIST, but this has so much more meaning!

Tess @ Cross Country Cajun November 28, 2012 at 12:15 pm

What an awesome idea and a neat tradition to start! I am totally going to do this for my husband. He loves Christmas and will love enjoying a whole month of fun things to do together! Thanks for sharing with us!

Jamie November 28, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Such a great idea! I may have to get crafty this weekend! Thanks for the holiday inspiration!

Amy November 28, 2012 at 12:32 pm

What a GREAT idea, Tina!! Thanks!!

Katie November 28, 2012 at 12:34 pm

REALLY love this idea! I’m going to do it this weekend.

Annette@FitnessPerks November 28, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I LOVE this idea!! I want to do it :)

beth November 28, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Great idea. I am going to do this and use red paper for weekend ones and green for weekday! my husband and I have long work days and don’t get to do much during the week.

Amelia November 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm

This isn’t Facebook but I looked for the “like” button near the end of the post. Ha! (Too much FB!) If there was a like button I would have clicked it. :)

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper November 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Eeee I love this! I’m way more into holidays than a person probably should be, so this is right up my alley, haha. My friends & I are hoping to host an Ugly Holiday Sweater party before leaving school for winter break…hopefully final exams don’t get in the way of that!

Rachel McIntyre November 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing :-)

Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny November 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I love this idea! I am going to get a Christmas Can on my way home!

Marissa November 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Such a sweet idea. And something to look forward to pulling out each day!

JenW November 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm

This is such a great idea! Last year for Christmas, I made my then-fiance-now-husband an Advent calendar out of an over-the-door shoe rack (yay Target!). I filled it with everything from a box of Band-aids to take along hiking Half Dome on our honeymoon to devotion books to his favorite candy. This year, I was stumped if I should refill it or what. Your idea gives me a great Advent calendar filler! Thanks Tina!

Monica November 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I love this! it is great to have little things that can often be forgotten about in the hustle of the holiday season.

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit November 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I’m a total cheese-ball, so I love the idea! :D I think a couple I’d add are to go ice skating and (if I lived or visited a place with snow) make a snowman and go sledding.

Phebe November 28, 2012 at 2:28 pm

What’s Pitch?

Tina November 28, 2012 at 2:42 pm

@Phebe: It’s a card game! :)

Phebe November 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm

@Tina:

Hmm I’ll have to check it out, never heard of it! I just got back from Thanksgiving in the Midwest where the big card games are Pinochle and Euchre.

I love your “24 Days” idea!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) November 28, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Absolutely brilliant idea! I’m single but I’m definitely doing this. It’s a great way to appreciate the little things!

Emily @ Emily Eats and Runs November 28, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Great idea! I’m totally doing this for my husband and me! Thanks!

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com November 28, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Totally inspired and going to do this!

Jenn November 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I love this idea!!! My husband and I have been married for 11 years in Mid December and we still act like we did the day we got married!! We both love this idea and are going to do this!

Leah @ Whitefoot Blog November 28, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Crazy – my boyfriend came up with an idea a few days ago that’s similar to yours! We’ve both been in a “what should we do?” funk lately, so he’s making a calendar for the month of December that includes a different activity each day. Some are Christmas-related (like our upcoming party), and some are just for us (like taking me to see Les Miserables :P). That’s awesome to see you and your husband are doing something similar! Hope you both enjoy it! :)

Katie November 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I’m definitely going to try this out. I’ll swap crossfit out for the gym and Murphy out for something else because we don’t have a pet…yet. :)

Herbivore Triathlete November 28, 2012 at 6:03 pm

What a great idea!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 28, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I love this idea!

Some of the things on my holiday bucket list are baking lots of cookies, trying a gingerbread latte from Starbucks, going skating, and going for a walk through the park at night to see the light display!

Cassandra November 28, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I absolutely LOVE this idea and will put a little 24 Days Together too! I have never done the advent calendar before, but have always been intrigued by the idea. This is so much more personable and special, can’t wait :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 28, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Love this idea… very cute!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I love this idea! It’s fun and romantic!!!

Stephanie @ Steph's Miles November 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Very cute idea! I think I am going to turn my Christmas present for my guy this year into a year of dates and set up a date night each month. (I have February planned and the rest will be pretty simple.) If I was with my boyfriend every day (well we are, but with not enough time to do these things, I would do this too!)

Jean November 28, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I usually hate stuff like this, but I have to say, I love it, cheese and all.

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet November 28, 2012 at 11:50 pm

This is the cutest idea ever! I really want to try this out :)

Alyssa November 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

That’s such a great idea. I love it!

Jolynn November 29, 2012 at 11:50 am

How fun! You guys are too cute!

Jentry Nielsen November 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm

This is the cutest idea! I am so copying ha thanks for the idea!! I can’t wait to get started!!!

Kristina November 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Totally stealing this idea! I love it! My fiance and I both live about 1500 miles away from our families and we both work retail, so we don’t get to go home for Christmas… This will definitely make our Christmas together more special! :D

Coco November 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!! I’ma super dork when it comes to Christmas stuff.. I’ve been watching christmas movies since thanksgiving!

Anthony November 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm

This is such a great idea. I modified them to work with my family (3 kids). Thank you! We’re going to read the “Lump of Coal” (by Lemony Snickit), write a silly holiday story, make a gingerbread house, and bring donations to the food bank.

Thanks for the nudge!

dana November 30, 2012 at 10:25 am

Thought of a great idea to add to this while driving to work today.
    You should make a #hashtag for twitter/instagram so everyone can follow everyone else with what they are doing for this 24 days of togetherness!!!!

Just a thought!!

Kaylin November 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Love this idea! My fiance and I are getting married in 2 months and this will be helpful to remember destress a little and not forget about ourselves in the craziness. Thank you!

Annie November 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I thought this was a brilliant plan. I made one for my husband and me! :)

Ang December 1, 2012 at 5:45 am

I like this idea so much that my husband and I actually expanded it to last all month (except for Christmas Eve and Day, since we already have family plans). We each took the 29 remaining days and split them. He filled out 14 slips, I filled out 15, and we kept them secret from each other, then put them in the jar and mixed them up. We’re looking forward to pulling one out every evening! Thanks for the idea!

Megan December 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

What a cool idea!! I just sent it to my significant other to see if he would be up for it!