• The Clown of the Dog World

October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween, blog friends!!!

happyhalloween_pug

Breakfast

Breakfast yesterday morning was a two-ingredient pancake with a big scoop of Teddie peanut butter and a glass of coconut-flavored Dandy Blend with almond milk.

I received a question yesterday about how I make my Dandy Blend and all I do is add water to it. Dandy Blend is a powder that you mix with hot or cold water, so I make a big batch in my French press and chill it in the refrigerator. The French press doesn’t do anything to it. It just holds it so I can make big batches.

Lunch

I spent the rest of the morning working and catching up with my inbox. I broke for lunch around noon, which was an omelet with chopped asparagus and blue cheese crumbles and leftover Mustardy Swiss Chard and Butternut Squash on the side. It wasn’t the prettiest meal, but it was tasty and nutritious.

Then, I ate a few bites of Nikki’s vanilla cake batter coconut butter. I needed some healthy fats with lunch!

After lunch, I headed out to run some errands, which included a quick trip to Marshalls for one last look for a Halloween costume for Murphy.

And I found the perfect one for him! It was totally worth $2 (50% off)!

Introducing our little pug jester!

Mal and I always say “pugs are the clowns of the dog world” because they’re such hams. Murphy is a total goofball and he’s always making us laugh. He’s so “fawn-y”!

halloweenpug

Wearing less of a costume seems to jive well with the pug since there’s no lobster or shark tail to worry about. Murphy wore his new jester collar for about an hour last night and he didn’t seem to mind it at all. Pug Halloween costume success!

Plank Challenge

Oooh, boy, do I have a plank workout for you guys! This workout was only 6 minutes, but it was a serious butt core kicker! I created this one with the intention of not resting during it, but I totally needed a break toward the end. If you need to stop and catch your breath during it, rest for 15 seconds before each of the plank holds. There’s no harm in taking a break. If anything, it’ll help you power through those plank holds and get stronger!

6-MinutePlankWorkout

If you have a pet, what type of personality do they have?

P.S. If you are a medical professional or student who would like to volunteer on Marathon Sunday, the New York City Marathon Medical Team needs more volunteers. Details here!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 31, 2012 at 8:35 am

Perfect costume and not too cumbersome! YAY!

Our girl was just plain silly and man was she smart as a whip! To quote Jurassic Park about raptors, “they’re testing the fence for weaknesses, you can see they’re working things out.” She knew how to test your limits. LOL

Tina October 31, 2012 at 8:37 am

Haha!

mary @ minutes per mile October 31, 2012 at 8:37 am

what a cute costume! thanks for the plank workout. i’ll have to give it a try… maybe it will make up for the 10 lbs of candy i will eat today.

Becki October 31, 2012 at 8:43 am

Murphy’s costume is adorable! Pugs’ faces just make me melt :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 31, 2012 at 8:48 am

Oh my that costume is just perfect for him! My kitty wore his usually devil ears this year since he’s such a bad cat!

Eating 4 Balance October 31, 2012 at 8:54 am

That costume is so cute! My dog would never let me put one of those on her! She barely lets me put a sweater on her during the winter. She is really friendly though, but won’t take any crap. Try anything and she runs away and hides under our Kitchen island. Haha :)

That plank workout sounds quick and perfect for today. I need to try that!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles October 31, 2012 at 8:56 am

I actually thought he was the worlds cutest sunflower! Then I saw the little bells.

The Kidless Kronicles

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 31, 2012 at 9:08 am

Our Westie, Theodore, is incredibly smart. He’s just 4 months old so he’s got a lot of energy but I have a feeling he’ll grow up to be a wise old man. For Halloween he is going to be a Replacement Rufferee.

Lindsey October 31, 2012 at 9:11 am

Love it! Does evil count as a personality? Our cat is just that! She is very loving to us usually but not to other people.

Tina October 31, 2012 at 9:20 am

Evil! Haha!

NYC Fit GIrl October 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

Cute costume!! I don’t have a pet but my roommate does and it defiantly has a personality!

Lindsay October 31, 2012 at 9:21 am

LOL at “fawn-y”! Love pug puns.

Tina October 31, 2012 at 9:23 am

Haha! Pug puns are the best!

Meg K October 31, 2012 at 9:21 am

Does 10 alternating up/down planks or 10 alternating plank leg lifts mean 10 on each side or 10 total? Thanks! Can’t wait to try this one tonight!

Tina October 31, 2012 at 9:23 am

A total of 10! :)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

My dog cracks me up! I swear he is a comedian!

Beks October 31, 2012 at 9:41 am

I have three cats and a dog, and their personalities are all so different. Janie (my cat) is shy and stand-offish, but very affectionate when she wants to be, Henry (the cat I share custody of with me dad) is obnoxious and major pain in the butt, but he’s so handsome and hysterical when he’s playing. My sister’s cat, Tris, who has turned into my mom’s cat is the queen. She is the boss of all she surveys. She can be mean, or she can be the sweetest thing in the world. She had a hard life before becoming solely an indoor cat. My dad’s dog, Frisket, is playful and longs for approval. You can just see it in his eyes.

Non pet owners don’t understand animals. No two animals have the same personality. It’s great.

Ashley October 31, 2012 at 9:43 am

That is quite possibly the cutest pug I’ve ever seen – which is saying something considering that all pugs are cute! Your breakfast looks amazing as well – although I NEED my fruit in the morning!

Mallory October 31, 2012 at 9:45 am

We have 5 year old pitbull and she is such a ham. She’s constantly making me laugh. Her newest thing is taking all the sheets off our bed and our comforter, drags it downstairs snouts it all into a ball and lays on it. She does this EVERY time I leave the house! <3 Or she'll do something 'bad' and put herself on time out before we even find out what she did.

Corrie Anne October 31, 2012 at 9:46 am

Awwa cute – Murphy!! We have two dogs, one with the personality of a grumpy grizzly bear, one who reminds us of Bambi! Haha.

Monica October 31, 2012 at 9:47 am

I love that!! He looks adorable. Great costume-find! Trick or treat!

Jess @ JessieBear What Will You Wear October 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

Aw Murph. Too cute. Makes me miss my puppy :(. We always dress him up as a banana on Halloween… it’s a really odd tradition.

Lindsay October 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

We have a rabbit (no bunnies can commute to Korea from the US…so she now resides with my sis) and she thinks she is a CAT. She is housebroken, so she wees in the litterbox, she spreads herself out on the back of the sofa like a feline, AND loves to greet people at the door and rub their legs. She also has this weird habit of hanging out with all the toy bunnies in my nieces room~ you know that part in E.T. where he hides with the stuffed animals? That’s what she does! Can you tell we are proud of this bun-catty? ;)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 31, 2012 at 9:59 am

Haha Murphy’s little pet costume is great. We have two labs – a yellow and a chocolate one. They are both so different from one another but they make the perfect little pair and are best buds. The yellow one is super independent, smart, and has more energy. The chocolate one is very sweet, mellow, and is more dependent.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 31, 2012 at 10:02 am

Love Marshall’s, I hit up TJ Maxx last night. Murphy looks so cute in that costume! Poor pup, looks like he hates it. Our dog is dressing up as a pumpkin this year, and he absolutely HATES his costume. It’s hilarious!

alda October 31, 2012 at 10:02 am

I sometimes follow your blog but I’ve noticed a lot of ridiculizing your dog. Although I don’t consider myself an animal rights fundamentalist, I feel sensible when pets are made fun of just because they had a funny face. Dressing them up for Halloween or adorning them with whatever item we may find funny sounds slightly unsensible for me, because animals, especially cats and dogs, do not like to have anything around their skins: they feel trapped.
    One thing is having a good laugh when we dress up our kids, but please don’t try to compensate for your incomplete family by having fun for yourself alone at Murphy’s expenses.

Nicole October 31, 2012 at 10:08 am

Cute costume.
    Tucker (the older Lab) has the loyal, wise personality. We joke that he does the NYT crossword puzzle in his spare time.
    Kostas (the younger Lab) is the clown. And he’s really impatient. We joke that he reads the comics section.

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 31, 2012 at 10:09 am

I love Murphy’s costume! He’s the best joker ever! My puppy has such a big personality and she’s only 5 months! She can be very lovable but she also loves to play and gets super excited to meet any new dogs or other people! She’s a very outgoing puppy :)

tammy brown October 31, 2012 at 10:14 am

Murp looks GREAT!!!

Chelsea@Ahintofhealthy October 31, 2012 at 10:34 am

That picture with Murphy is too cute! Happy Halloween! :)

Sarah October 31, 2012 at 10:47 am

Your dog is so cute!! Oh my goodness, that is such a great halloween costume!
    And a two-ingredient pancake without using a box?! Sign me up!
    Happy Halloween :)

michelle kim October 31, 2012 at 11:02 am

My dog is totally a scaredy-cat. Ironic, I guess. Besides that, she is sooooo playful and loves to cuddle :)
    Cute costume for Murphy! Have a Happy Halloween!

Loretta October 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

My Cavalier Bell is a character, someone once told me she dreams in cartoons and that was the perfect way of describing her. She doesn’t have a care in the world, the tail is constantly going and she just always has a look on her face that makes me think I interrupted her from a dream she was having where she was chest deep in a bowl of food. As long as I am around, she is the happiest dog in the world. She hates being dressed up – I usually don’t dress her up but this year she is going trick-o-treating with me so I bought her a little USC jersey to wear and a football toy so she is going to be a USC football player.

Becka @ simplybecka October 31, 2012 at 11:29 am

Murphy you look fabulous! Happy Halloween Tina. Have a great fun treat filled day. ^_^

Ed October 31, 2012 at 11:31 am

Murphy is totally the clown of the dog world…i bet he would do somersaults if her could (maybe he does? lol)

Jolynn October 31, 2012 at 11:33 am

He seems so calm!

We have a weimaraner that’s out of control. This is the first year we have ever bought him a costume so I’ll be interested to see how he reacts to it.

Kristen @ Change of Pace October 31, 2012 at 11:41 am

Murphy is SO cute! Happy Halloween!

Jean October 31, 2012 at 11:48 am

So incredibly cute! Every time we try to put anything on our dog she’s ripped it off in about twenty seconds…

Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian October 31, 2012 at 11:53 am

Can’t wait to try the workout! Already improved my plank by 30 seconds from last week.

Paj October 31, 2012 at 11:55 am

Since you had a volunteer link to the NYC Marathon, I was wondering how you or other readers feel about it still being held this week? Considering the devastation from Sandy in NY, why wouldn’t it be postponed to allow time to clean up, etc. instead of bringing more people into the heart of a natural disaster scene where there is still major power loss, flooding, etc.?

hallie October 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm

what a great costume for Murph! My pug’s costume is also just a little neck accessorie because he hates to dress up.

Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} October 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Yesterday I did planks for a total of 5 minutes :) #smallvictory

Can’t wait to try this workout.

Tina October 31, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Woohoo! Nice job, lady! :)

Roz@weightingfor50 October 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm

What a great outfit. Happy halloween to all of you.

Cristen October 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm

That’s the same costume that both of my fur kids have. Less chance that Wilson will destroy it. Plus I always have trouble finding inexpensive costumes for my larger dogs.

Kelly@BalancedDaily October 31, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I have two dogs who couldn’t be more different. My small cocka-poo is high strung, bold and loud, and my lab is calm, relaxed and go-with-the-flow. But I’m sure neither of them would be willing to put on a halloween costume. Murphy looks cute though!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 31, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Murphy!! So adorable, haha.

Life's a Bowl October 31, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Haha, love the pug comparison! We got Charlie a Halloween t-shirt that says “lil’ monster,” perfectly suiting for him :P

P.S. Awesome plank challenge, gonna do it tonight! I did one last week and loveddd it! Keep them coming, please :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) October 31, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Love Murphy’s Halloween collar! And something has kale and squash who cares what it looks like! It’s bound to taste awesome! :)

Michele October 31, 2012 at 5:23 pm

wowww my shoulders were on fire from that plank work out!

Carli October 31, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Love your little jester. He’s cute!

I have a cat, Jeffrey. Not only is he bossy but he’s also prissy. He loathes a dirty litter box and once he uses it, he meows until you clean it. And if you clean it at random, he’ll use it immediatly since it’s clean. On the up side the house does not smell like a litter box.

lynn @ the actor's diet October 31, 2012 at 9:59 pm

oh, murphy. i just saw this harry potter dog and thought of you: http://www.bforbel.com/2012/10/harry-potter-dog.html

Tina October 31, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Cute!!!

luv what you do October 31, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Murphy looks adorable!
    Thanks for the new workout. I just blogged about it and I’m recruiting friends and family : )

Ryan - Pause The Moment October 31, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Your dog is so funny looking. You should totally buy a GoPro and strap it on to Murphy. People would go crazy for MurphyCam! LOL

Allie November 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm

YES! This plank challenge is AWESOME just in time for all the holiday treats bunching up my midsection!