• Pets & Halloween Costumes (and CrossFit Knee Socks)

October 16, 2012

Here’s another fun fact for you!

$310 million

The estimated amount Americans spent last year on Halloween costumes for their pets, according to the National Retail Federation. The most popular disguises for both dogs and cats: pumpkin, devil, hot dog, and bumblebee. [source: Real Simple, October 2012]

Holy crap, that’s a lot of money!

Ok, there are a lot of crazy people, myself included, who spend mucho dinero on costumes for their pets, so you’re probably not surprised that I dropped $9.95 + tax on a shark costume for Murphy the other day.

But, unfortunately, it didn’t quite fit him.

On either end.

Murphy just wasn’t a fan of the shark costume. Plus, I think it reminded him too much of the lobster costume. Back to the drawing board!

Workout

Last night I put on my striped knee socks and went to CrossFit!

Yay, socks!!!

Can you believe last night was my first time ever wearing knee socks for a CrossFit workout? I always thought they were some trendy fashion accessory (and Lord knows I have no fashion sense), but they actually come in quite handy for protecting your shins during box jumps, deadlifts, and rope climbs. And, ok, they’re fun too!

Last night’s class was all about Power Snatches:

STRENGTH

EMOM 9:

3 Power Snatches with 60% of 1RM Snatch
    Beginners: very light weight working on technique
    WOD

For time:
    15-12-9
    Power Snatch
    Box Jumps

Rx: (135, 95) (30, 24)
    L2: (115, 85) (28, 22)
    L1: (95, 65) (24, 20)
    Beg: (55, 35) (20, 15)

I used 60 pounds for the Strength part of the workout, which wasn’t all that heavy for me, so it really allowed me to work on my form, and I think I’m starting to get it. Power snatches are so fun! I think they might be my favorite lift.

For the WOD, I did Level 1 (65 pounds) and used a 24” box. (I used a 24” box in a workout once, so now I feel like I can’t go back to the 20” one.) I plowed through the first 15 Power Snatches unbroken, but by the final 9 reps, things got really tough, and I ended up doing them one at a time to finish. Yowsahs. The box jumps were no problem though, and I finished the WOD in 6:35.

Dinner

For dinner, I made a meat sauce with lots of veggies in it. I cooked some ground beef with red and green bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and a little bit of olive oil. Then, I threw in some spinach and a can of tomato paste. The veggies were already cut up (Sunday prep), so it came together in no time.

veggiemeatsauce

I added the veggie-meat sauce to a bowl of spaghetti squash. Delicious!

After dinner, I enjoyed a Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter Cookie—also delicious!

Do you dress your pet(s) in costumes for Halloween?

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

If only Murphy could see how cute he looks in his shark costume. He does NOT look pleased!

Like your socks…I wish I looked that cute in my workout gear! :)

erica October 16, 2012 at 4:01 pm

i love to dress my dog up for halloween. this year he’s gonna be a security gaurd. lol. last year he had a skeleton hoody, and the year before he had a fireman’s costume and a bumble bee hoody. lol

Jamie October 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I really want to get a costume for my dog (a Boston Terrier) but I haven’t found a cute one yet in person and I am afraid to order off line because it is hard to tell with sizes (As you can see!).

My dog loves to wear clothes though so I thought it would be suitable to wear the whole month instead of his usual sweatshirts if I get him something warm- (Like a nice puffy bumblebee?)

I totally thought crossfit socks were a gimick — until I climbed the rope! Now I am always jealous of people with them when I am there.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Those pictures of Murphy made me LOL!

Jenni October 16, 2012 at 5:41 pm

OMG I about peed my pants looking at those pics!! He looks so pathetic in that last one – rough life, Murphy :) I think he’d make an adorable pumpkin, though…

Jess @ JessieBear What Will You Wear October 16, 2012 at 6:16 pm

We got my dog as an older puppy from the pet store and the store we bought him from calls older pups “ripe bananas” so naturally we dressed him up as a banana for Halloween.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 16, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I am guilty for dressing my pup up in ridiculous costumes. She has been a pumpkin, fairy, dracula, superman…etc….Poor thing, but she just looks so cute!

LOL @ murphy as a shark and lobster. Little guy looks so freaked out.

Em @ Yep. I Ate That. October 16, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Ahhh, he is so adorable. I’m sure Murphy would love it if you matched your costume to his, ha!

Debbie October 17, 2012 at 12:41 am

Poor Murphy!

I was at the pet store the other day when I spotted it…Sienna’s costume. $12. I could not resist. It’s made of felt in red, yellow and blue and is a beanie cap like from the 50’s with the little twirly thing on top. It has straps and stays on her head even during head shakes. she looks so adorable in it and people stop on the street to take her picture