• Loose Ends (My Last Day at NuVal)

October 4, 2012

Hi, guys! Just a quick post to recap my eats for the day and say goodbye before I leave for Seattle. I have a couple of giveaways and a few guest posts set up to publish tomorrow and this weekend, so be sure to pop in!

This morning, I woke up with Mal when his alarm went off, and before I even climbed out of bed, he asked me to make OMG Pancakes for breakfast. I guess he was hungry when he woke up!

I topped my pancakes with a big scoop of almond butter and drank a glass of Dandy Blend with a splash of almond milk.

After breakfast, I did a little work, took Murphy for a walk, and then headed to NuVal for my last time ever. A few weeks ago, NuVal and I decided to end our relationship. Nothing crazy happened—they just wanted to take their social media in a different direction and I wanted to focus my attention on other freelance projects, so our break was totally amicable.

It was kind of sad saying goodbye today. NuVal was such a big part of my life for the past 3 years. I managed their social media, which included writing a blog and tweeting for the company, and I also helped consumers use and better understand the nutritional rating system.

NuVal is also a huge reason why I was able to become a full-time blogger and work for myself. When I accepted their part-time job offer, it allowed me to quit my full-time gig at Harvard and do what I love, so I am forever grateful for my time with the company. Here’s a little background if you’re new-ish to CNC:

At NuVal, I tied up a couple of loose ends with my boss and then he took me out for lunch. (I got a turkey wrap with avocado and Munster cheese.) After lunch, I said goodbye to a number of my colleagues, which, of course, was bittersweet.

On my way home from NuVal, I stopped at TJMaxx to shop for a clutch to go with the dress I bought to wear to Mal’s sister’s wedding this weekend. I wasn’t even going to bother with one, but Mal insisted that I buy one. (I sort of love that my husband is more into fashion that me! Haha!)

When I got home, I was kind of hungry again. I remembered what my doctor said to me yesterday, so I thought about what I could eat to help me “enjoy my life,” and I immediately thought of my mom’s apple crisp. It’s honestly one of my favorite desserts ever (even more so at this time of the year), so I whipped up a batch using almond flour instead of all-purpose flour.

It tasted delicious (even though I think my mom’s version is better) and, of course, it made me happy. Let’s just hope my intestines can tolerate it now!

I’m off to walk the pug and then go to CrossFit. The rest of the night involves dinner (pot roast and butternut squash leftovers), packing, dropping off Murphy at the dog sitter (it breaks my heart every time we leave him – I know, I’m SO dramatic!), and getting to bed at a reasonable hour since a taxi is coming super early to take us to the airport.

See ya when I get back!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 4, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Proud of you and what the future holds!! I love reading your NuVal blog!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) October 4, 2012 at 4:20 pm

A sad goodbye nonetheless…but here’s to new beginnings right! :) Apple pie is my mums specialty…Mum’s, baking and apples…a recipe for success and happiness!

Kim@hungryhealthygirl October 4, 2012 at 4:31 pm

How nice that your husband insist that you get a clutch. My husband wouldn’t even know what a clutch is! 😉

Tina October 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I know, right? Haha!

Beks October 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I relate on saying goodbye to your pet. Makes me sad anytime I leave my kitty for even a day. She’s so co-dependent that she won’t “speak” to me when I get back, just to punish me. Luckily, our dog is always glad to see me. :-)

Steph @pjsandyogapants October 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Yay! You made your mom’s apple crisp! I always like your posts with apple crisp :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 4, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Awww I’m sure Murphy will be alright! And that apple crisp looks amazing!

natalie @ will jog for food October 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm

On to bigger an better things!

I want apple crisp now :)

Ellie@Fit for the Soul October 4, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Finishing a relationship with a job is always so bittersweet, huh? And that clutch looks cute Tina! :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 4, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Apple crisp is such a heart warming dessert. My moms makes a great one too and she usually makes it every time my sister and I come home. Definitely a favorite!

Ashlee October 4, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I am going out of town this weekend as well, and I am already dredding leaving them! So crazy how close we get to our pets!

Melissa October 4, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Ok, I have to say this. Your griddle is the exact same one we have. Your coffeemaker (from what I can tell) is the exact same one we have (and that my parents have). And your glass pumpkin? My mom has it. Excellent taste! :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I love how Mal insisted you buy a clutch…pretty sure Eric doesn’t have any idea what a clutch is! :-p

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I can not wait to hear what your next project is! I love new beginnings, even if they may be bitter sweet. It is great that you recognize when a company is not following the direction you hope and you are able to step away from it. Many people become so wrapped up in the day to day grind that they forget to take a step back, look at what’s going on, and evaluate if it is still right for their life.

Adrienne October 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I hate leaving the pug too, so it’s not just you!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 4, 2012 at 9:01 pm

need that apple crisp recipe!! The ORIGINAL! 😉

Tina October 4, 2012 at 9:21 pm

It’s the easiest recipe ever and insanely delicious! :)

Kelly H-Y October 4, 2012 at 9:17 pm

My absolute favorite dessert is apple crisp too! (More than cake, any day!). I now make it with oat flour (will definitely try almond flour now!) and gluten free oats, but it still hits the spot perfectly and makes the house smell oh-so-good in the process! :-)

Amelia @ Eating Made Easy October 4, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I love the idea of a happy food diet – what a great doc you must have!

NYC Fit Girl October 4, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I am excited for your new adventures. I am not really sure what novel represents but I am going to check out there website.

Happy Food = Happy Megan

Christine October 4, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Sorry to hear that Nuval let you go! But you know, every end is a new beginning! Are you going to be looking for a new job or will you continue blogging “full time?”

Ryan - Pause The Moment October 4, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I find it very interesting that Mal of all people insisted that you buy a new clutch to match your dress. LOL! Sending a big congrats to Mal’s sister. Enjoy the wedding!

Khushboo October 5, 2012 at 12:38 am

Apple crisp is the best fall dessert!

heidi kokborg October 5, 2012 at 4:27 am

I have to try those pancakes! They look so delish! :)

Mo October 5, 2012 at 8:52 am

Glad you had a good last day at NuVal! That apple crisp looks delish!

Christine October 5, 2012 at 9:12 am

Hi Tina,

I left a comment yesterday at some point and I came back to see if you had answered my question and I’m shocked to see that it must have been blocked?? I didn’t realize that you blocked comments that were not spam. My comment was not meant to be contentious. I was asking if you were going to seek out another non-blogging job in the place of Nuval or if you were going to put the added time into blogging? I’m sorry if it came across as rude or nosy- I didn’t mean it that way. (BTW, You can block this comment- that wouldn’t bother me. I am just writing to let you know that I was curious and bummed for you that the Nuval gig ended, and that I was frustrated/surprised to see that you must have found my comment offensive?) Or, if you just haven’t gone through the comments from last night yet, then I apologize for even writing this!

Tina October 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Hmmm… that’s strange. Your comment wasn’t blocked. I just never had a chance to reply since I was on vacation/at my sister-in-law’s wedding in Seattle. Sorry for the delay.

As for your question, I don’t plan to find another gig to replace NuVal. I have a lot on my plate now with the blog, Health, and other freelance projects, so I’m just going to keep trucking along and keep my options open for future opportunities that come my way! :)

Penny October 5, 2012 at 10:37 am

I thought the new dr. said to cut the nuts out to see how they effect you? A good 30 days and you’ll know if you can tolerate them or not.

Life's a Bowl October 5, 2012 at 11:39 am

Best of luck with all of your future endeavors! Sounds like you’ve come a long way since the beginning and I hope you continue to see success! Love reading your writing :)

Kelly@BalancedDaily October 5, 2012 at 11:47 am

Apple crisp is the #1 dessert I look forward to during the holidays. My mom makes a killer one too! NuVal seems like a really cool company, but change is inevitable and usually leads to good. Have fun at the wedding- they’re always a blast. Take pics!

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset October 5, 2012 at 8:27 pm

So glad you made your Mom’s apple crisp! Food made with love always tastes better I think :) Your intestines will probably be very happy soaking up all the Holiday nostalgia <3

Maria October 5, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I am in Tacoma/Fort Lewis for a month on rotation for school and am going to Seattle for the day tomorrow. Small world!!

Laura October 6, 2012 at 7:59 am

Hi Tina, we’ll miss your sunny dispostion at NuVal. Thank you for always representing the company well!

I can also relate to your leaving your doggie. I travel practically every week, and although I hate leaving my hubby, it is heartbreaking to leave my cat. Hubby understands, but my kitty doesn’t. And when I get home, she meows up a storm fussing at me. And she won’t let me out of her sight for a couple of days.

Wishing you the best always! Now I gotta go make some apple crisp.

CK October 7, 2012 at 9:15 am

Hi- i was reading this website since im interestedin learning about different ways to keep my weight down & came across this site: you r the only person “i know” w/ this disease. Thought i pass this on to you. Hope its if insightful. http://www.forksoverknives.com/plant-based-diet-has-me-winning-my-long-hard-battle-with-ulcerative-colitis/

silver price October 8, 2012 at 8:15 pm

That apple crisp for one has made my day! I’m single and cook only for me, so WOOT!