• Hotel Marlowe with Murphy

October 29, 2012

On Saturday, Mal, Murphy, and I spent a lovely evening at Hotel Marlowe. The folks from Kimpton Hotels invited the three of us for a complimentary stay. I love hotels, so when Kimpton invited me along with Murphy, I was all about it. I love doing fun things with the pug!

Mal, Murphy, and I arrived at Hotel Marlow just after 4:00 PM on Saturday afternoon and then checked into our room for the night, which was on a floor with other dogs and their owners.

arrivingathotelmarlowe

I never know what to expect with pet-friendly rooms (sometimes they’re a little beat up), but our room was gorgeous! Mal said besides our honeymoon and the Wynn, it was the nicest room he’s ever stayed in.

_MG_9793 (750x499) (750x499)

The bed was “like a cloud.”

_MG_9799 (750x499) (750x499)

Murphy approved!

I loved the fancy products in the bathroom. They smelled so good!

hotelmarlowebathroom

As soon as we walked into the room, Murphy ran around sniffing and exploring everything.

_MG_9806 (750x499) (750x499)

It didn’t take him long to find the complimentary dog treats.

_MG_9820 (750x499) (750x499)

Mal also excitedly explored the room. He and Murphy were like two little kids on Christmas morning! Haha!

Hey, check out the view!

Oh my gosh, what is it?!?

We had a beautiful view of the city and Charles River.

Our room came with a dog bed for Murphy, so he tried it out.

And he liked it! (Thankfully, he didn’t lovvve it! Haha!)

The nice people from Hotel Marlowe surprised Mal and me with a spread of delicious goodies—wine, chocolate, and a cheese and fruit platter.

Both of us were pretty hungry, so we dug right in!

Once we got settled, Mal and I left Murphy alone in the room and headed downstairs to the lobby for the Wine Hour hosted by the hotel.

cocktailhourathotelmarlowe

Every day from 5:00 – 6:00 PM, guests are invited to enjoy complimentary wine by the glass.

The Wine Hour also included various appetizers—pretzels, nuts, and even fresh ceviche from the hotel restaurant, Bambara.

When the Wine Hour ended, Mal and I headed back up to our room to check on Murphy. He was totally fine and excited to see us.

Pug kisses!!

Mal and I planned to have dinner at Bambara, but we felt kind of bad leaving Murphy again, so we decided to order room service and hang out in the room instead.

Woohoo! Hotel room hang!

Grape tossing contest!

grapes

Eventually, the three of us cozied up on the bed and watched Harry Potter on TV.

Our dinner arrived a little while later.

I ordered a salmon and crab burger with French fries on the side. I ended up wrapping pieces of the burger in lettuce and adding veggies and pickles to make mini lettuce wraps. It was quite delicious!

After dinner, we were all pretty exhausted, so we headed to bed.

The next morning, Murphy woke us up bright and early to start the day. His breakfast time is usually 6:00 AM, so he was starving (and probably wasting away to nothing) by 8:00 AM.

After Murphy ate breakfast, our next order of business was taking him outside to do his “business.”

On the way out of the hotel, I grabbed a cup of decaf coffee. The hotel offers complimentary coffee and tea every morning.

Right next to the hotel was a park, so we took Murphy there to do his thing.

It was such a nice fall morning. We walked for about 20 minutes along the water.

Mal wanted iced coffee, so we swung by the Cambridgeside Galleria, which was literally a 5-minute walk from the hotel, so he could get Dunkin’ Donuts. Sadly, no dogs were allowed inside the mall.

With coffee in hand, we headed back to the hotel. Mal and I thought about hitting up the hotel gym for a workout, but we felt lazy and decided not to. The hotel gym looked really great though. It wasn’t huge, but it had a bunch of new cardio equipment (including a rowing machine – great for travel WODs!), some free weights, medicine balls, and hula hoops.

hotelmarlowegym

Besides the gym, the hotel also had a number of wellness programs for their guests, including free bike and kayak rentals as well as a jogging map, which provided various mileage loops (1.6 – 8.6 miles) along the Charles River.

When we returned to our room, Mal and I ordered room service for breakfast. I ordered an omelet with mushrooms, tomatoes, and cheese.

After breakfast, we packed up our things and checked out. I think the guys were a little sad to leave.

If you’re thinking about traveling with your dog (or cat), I highly recommend the Kimpton Hotels. They’re a great chain with hotels all over the country. The three of us really enjoyed our time at Hotel Marlowe and it was a great place to stay with a furry friend. The staff was super friendly and especially accommodating to the pets. Thanks so much for hosting us!

Have you ever traveled with your pet?

Eating 4 Balance October 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

I have never traveled with my dog Lilly before. I’m not so sure that she would behave as well as Murphy! HA. How many other pet-friendly hotels have you been in before? Hotel Marlowe sounds super neat!

I also have a question about doing these kinds of things in general. How do you decide (when someone contacts you about doing a sponsor or review) whether or not it is worth it, and whether or not it will add to or subtract from blog content? Just curious. I love reading your reviews! :)

Tina October 29, 2012 at 10:59 am

I love hotels, and I have a lot of pet owners that read CNC, so I thought it sounded like a fun opportunity!

Angela October 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm

@Tina: I appreciate that you review things that are relevant to you and that you would actually use. It annoys me when bloggers review items that they would never really buy or eat unless contacted/paid. I think your blog is genuine, which is why I read it.

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit October 29, 2012 at 10:58 am

Love Kimpton Hotels! They are awesome. Never travelled with more than the goldfish they provide in their Chicago Hotel Monaco :)

Amy @ Eat Workout Succeed October 29, 2012 at 11:06 am

That hotel looks fabulous, anywhere that serves complimentary wine and coffee gets my vote! Shame they don’t have a chain of hotels over in the UK, my cat would love a mini break! LOL :)

Ed October 29, 2012 at 11:06 am

Wow murphy looked like such a playa in those pics…he loves the high life doesnt he?!

Tina October 29, 2012 at 11:08 am

Haha!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 29, 2012 at 11:12 am

What an incredible hotel! It is gorgeous and I LOVE the fact they have hula hoops in their fitness center!

Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails October 29, 2012 at 11:12 am

My dad travels a lot for work so he is an Inner Circle member with Kimpton and my siblings and I love traveling with him! They really go the extra mile for their guests and I have never had a bad experience with them. I actually attended a dinner with my dad that they put on and posted about it a couple months ago http://cardioandcocktails.com/2012/08/17/fancy-night-on-the-town/ I’m jealous of your stay, it looked like a great night!

Loretta October 29, 2012 at 11:13 am

I have to say I am a bit jealous of your Fall weather, it looks really pretty over there. I am about to complain about 80 degree weather in Los Angeles, sorry, but this has been the longest and hottest ‘summer’ I can remember and I am so over it! And I really wish we had those pretty Fall colors… you must enjoy the seasons over there. Should I not be complaining about being able to go to the beach in the end of October?

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 29, 2012 at 11:18 am

Loves such a fun mini trip! I love hotels too and am glad to hear there are some where I can actually bring Sophie with me! Looks like Murphy had a great time :)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 29, 2012 at 11:19 am

I have never stayed in a pet friendly hotel but I would love to! I wouldn’t want to travel and have to leave my dog in the room, I would just want to have a good time like you guys did!

*Andrea* October 29, 2012 at 11:31 am

i love the black/white travel bag on the bed. where did you get it?? that hotel looks nice – i might check it out since i live 5 min from there!

Tina October 29, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thanks! It’s from a Fitness magazine event I went to last spring.

Kelly October 29, 2012 at 11:33 am

I LOVE Kimpton hotels! I think we’ve stayed at every one in Chicago. We’ve never taken Olive though, I’m just always skeptical about how she would do in a weird space and we’d definitely feel bad about leaving her when while we went out and about (it seems like you guys had that same feeling) but I’m glad the option is there if we ever need it!

Julie @ Swim Bike Running on Empty October 29, 2012 at 11:44 am

I recently moved from Pittsburgh, PA to Edmonton, AB and drove the entire way with my mom and two dogs. I couldn’t bear to fly them in cargo! We used http://www.tripswithpets.com to book pet-friendly hotels and had a great time. We stayed at Hotel Indigo in Chicago, a few Holiday Inn Expresses, a La Quinta Inn, Homewood Suites and The Westin. Everyone was very accomodating, and the Homewood Suites in Jackson Hole provided food, frisbees and maps to local dog parks. The Westin had dog beds, too.

Also, Hotel Monaco in Denver is a great dog-friendly hotel. They have a blackboard out front greating all of the dogs by name each day. Seems very similar to this hotel!

Kristen October 29, 2012 at 11:45 am

I always try to travel with my puggies. I hate leaving them at the kennel! Here is the Midwest we have a great chain that is super pet-friendly called Drury. We try to stay at a Drury whenever we can because of their free internet, breakfast, and no pet fees.

Brittney October 29, 2012 at 11:53 am

Kimpton Hotels are awesome. I stayed at a Hotel Monaco in Seattle and my experience was really similar to yours- the room was swanky, wine happy hour, great hotel restaurant, excellent location. I also love that if you join the Kimpton Rewards (i think that’s what it’s called), which is free, you get free WiFi on your entire stay. Also, I remember if you forgo maid service (I did mine like every other day), you get a $5 credit to the restaurant, which was cool. I was really impressed and would definitely stay in one again. I didn’t take my dog on that trip, but would in the future if it worked out :)

Alex October 29, 2012 at 11:57 am

Sounds like the three of you had an awesome time! I’ve never traveled with a pet before, but I was always under the impression that pet-friendly hotels would be super rundown and smelly. This was definitely not the case with the place you stayed though!

Megan@ The Running Doc October 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Last time my boyfriend and I traveled to Dallas to visit his mom we stayed at a really cheap Motel 6 (or something similar, I actually can’t remember) with our dog. We were on the first floor in the room at the end of the hall right by an exit and oh my word it was terrible. People were coming in and out all night and our dog would spaz and bark every time she heard the slightest noise. She paced around the room and would jump on and off the bed every few minutes. It was awful both for us and for her. After that experience I’m not sure I want to try having her in a hotel again!

Lauren October 29, 2012 at 12:36 pm

What a great stay and a wonderful little mini-vacay. I don’t think I’ve ever stayed in a pet friendly hotel but what a great concept! More hotels should offer this.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm

This hotel looks awesome! I’ve only put my pug in a kennel once, and I refuse to do it again! I love the idea of a pet-friendly hotel!

Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets October 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm

That looks amazing. It reminds me of the time I had to sneak my dogs into a nice hotel though, such a weird awkward situation. Good story though, even if completely unrelated to your hotel being actually dog friendly.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama October 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Hotel Marlowe looks lovely! I’ve stayed in a few pet allowed hotels. I wouldn’t say it was as pet friendly as Hotel Marlowe. My Cooper does great except for when he hears other guests doors close or talking in the hallway. He usually will let out a little “ruff!” Always listening!

Anon October 29, 2012 at 2:12 pm

We almost had our wedding at that hotel! We were going to do the ceremony in front of the river in that park in your photo, then do the ceremony in one of their ballrooms. We ended up feeling a little underwhelmed by the ballroom itself so passed, but I still hold a special place in my heart for the Marlowe. :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm

That’s so nice that it’s pet friendly! I’ve never traveled with any of our dogs, but my friend had to stay at a really expensive hotel once because it was the only one that allowed dogs!

Jose October 29, 2012 at 2:24 pm

how did you train murphy?

Tina October 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Train him to do what?

Jose October 29, 2012 at 5:41 pm

did you crate train him? or what did you do to house train him? new puppy owner here… lol

Tina October 29, 2012 at 5:47 pm

We crate trained him! :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I love that they are pet friendly. My dogs are well over 80 lbs and I feel that even pet friendly hotels have a weight limit.

Such a beautiful hotel, it seems like you had a great staycation :)

Bree@ToParisWithMyLove October 29, 2012 at 5:43 pm

We travel with our dogs quite often. It’s a fun adventure. But can be difficult if you can’t find pet friendly hotels. Eek!

Nicole October 29, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Love seeing a pet-friendly hotel. The dog bed is a nice touch, though our dogs would go after the people bed!

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm

So much fun! Murphy looks like he is in Pug Heaven. :) I haven’t stayed in a hotel in a long time, but the bf and I did a “staycation” in NYC last year and it was so much fun. In fact, the hotel looked a lot like that one!

Carli October 29, 2012 at 8:41 pm

The hotel looks great. I love that mirror on the wall.

I have a cat and we haven’t traveled as a family since I got him. I won’t leave him alone and he hasn’t been in a cage since I adopted him from the Humane Society. Yeah, I know that’s not normal.

I need to go to a hotel like this!

the 3volution of j3nn October 30, 2012 at 4:22 am

Hotel Marlowe looks fabulous! I’d love to stay there with our little doggie. I love hotels, too! So much fun. :)

Alaina October 30, 2012 at 11:03 am

I actually did my senior thesis on traveling with pets. Since I interned at the Fairmont, Catie Copley was my inspiration. :-)

I’ve never stayed at the Marlowe but very much enjoyed dining at Bambara.

KateLJP October 30, 2012 at 1:48 pm

CRAZY! I was at the Hotel Marlowe on Sat night too! My best friend’s fiance was in town running a conference and he was staying there, so we met at Bambara for some apps and drinks. FYI, I got the platter of roasted fall veggies with farm cheese and bacon, it was one of the best things EVER!! Glad you had a great stay.

Kendall @OnAnInhale October 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Hi Tina! I actually teach a free yoga class at Hotel Marlowe every Friday morning 6am-7am. It is for guests and employees! If you ever stay there again on a Friday you should absolutely come. Looks like you had a great stay :) -Kendall

Tina October 30, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Very cool! :)

Life's a Bowl October 31, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Such an awesome opportunity! I’ve been itching to get back to Boston since graduation a couple of years ago and would love to bring Charlie along! I think he’d have a blast, assuming it’s not snowing :P

Hayley October 31, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I love Kimpton Hotels! I stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Portland and the one in Seattle and they were both GORGEOUS and had amazing service! When I stayed at the Portland hotel we arrived at about 10AM and went to see if there was somewhere we could leave our luggage until check in, but they let us check in early AND upgraded our room for free! And the room service was amazing.

Amazon Pet Supplies November 19, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Find the cheapest pet supplies in our Amazon Shop. We have brought your entire pet needs as one place to make life easier for you. This holiday get the lowest price on your pet supplies plus save when online shopping.